Synthetic oil...

properperson

Just had my Honda CB500X serviced at Big Wing Bangkok..

1,200 km on the clock...

They reccomended Honda fuly synthetic oil, which i went for..

Wow what a diference ! - the bike feels much smoother and the gearbox has lost a lot of it's "clunkyness".

Money well spent in my book...

Really ? What did that include ?

I just paid 1500 for my Ranger, included 7L of full synthetic oil and a filter..

Really? Last time I bought 4l of Fully synthetic oil it cost 1600 Baht-ish. So I believe what you got was semi-synthetic. Next time you go to Tesco check out the price of Petronas or whatever 100% synthetic oil.

What happens if car oil is used in bike?

Most likely the clutch will slip! Not always the case depending on the oil but very likely.

I just paid 1500 for my Ranger, included 7L of full synthetic oil and a filter..

1500 Bht for 7 liter full synthetic oil and filter and labor on top?

I'm gonna have my Nissan serviced at Ford from now on.

This wasn't at Ford... Finished my 4 year service plan with them :)

1580 baht for oil and filter change, air filter clean and engine bay tickled up a touch !! Think it must have been semi synthetic, as mentioned above..

What happens if car oil is used in bike?

papa thinks prolly no prob, but only WAG.

Many bikes have a wet clutch that shares the motor oil.

Bike oil manufacturers leave out some of the slippery stuff so the clutch functions.

The automatic scooters don't have a wet clutch and can use car oil.

I use the Honda oil with MB in my auto scooter. MB will damage a clutch.

I would like to try synthetic in my scooter but since there is no oil filter, I change quite often and use the recommended Honda brand.

Edited by RidgeRunner

1500 Bht for 7 liter full synthetic oil and filter and labor on top?

I'm gonna have my Nissan serviced at Ford from now on.

Maybe they put 1/2 the old oil back in... :)

I have seen Thai mechanics collecting used oil before, maybe for their own bikes or something... Hopefully not too be resold but TIT...

This summer in Colorado papa made the mistake of putting synthetic in the '96 KLR 650.

$10/qt.

Started leaking.

What the heck was I thinking!

Should have used whatever odd stuff I had around.

This summer in Colorado papa made the mistake of putting synthetic in the '96 KLR 650.

$10/qt.

Started leaking.

Are you saying that your engine suddenly starting leaking,just because you put synthetic oil into it?

Or was it leaking previously with mineral oil in it?

If it was previously oiltight, there is no way that it would start leaking

simply because you put in synthetic oil IMO.

Edited by garryjohns

$10/qt.

Started leaking.

What the heck was I thinking!

Should have used whatever odd stuff I had around.

$10/qt.

Started leaking.

Are you saying that your engine suddenly starting leaking,just because you put synthetic oil into it?

Or was it leaking previously with mineral oil in it?

If it was previously oiltight, there is no way that it would start leaking

simply because you put in synthetic oil IMO.

Before syn noticed no drips, nor need to add oil between 2000mile changes.

After syn, drips and need to add half to 3/4 qt. after 500 miles.

Just coincidental I guess.

Lot's of reports on the WEB about fresh oil leaks after switching to synthetic oil in old engines.

It is believed it is caused from the removal of deposits that act as a seal to hardened/ shrunk older seals.

A lot of myths on this on the WEB.

Mostly debunked.

Synthetic oil won't create a leak, it will find one.

Its streamlined molecular structure has no mercy for cracked or otherwise marginal seals. The oil and its additives may even clean deposits from the engine, which is good -- unless those deposits are acting like spackle on questionable seals.

Maybe the syntho de-spackled my seal allowing a virtual leak to morph into a leaky leak?

This technical shit is above papa.

From Pennzoil website;

Myth: You shouldn’t use synthetic oil in an older vehicle. The myth is rooted in the idea that synthetic oil is “slipperier,” lower in viscosity, or not as compatible with seals and will therefore leak or leak more in places conventional oil might not. Again, completely untrue. Synthetic oils will enhance the engine protection in older vehicles just as they do for new engines.

Its streamlined molecular structure has no mercy for cracked or otherwise marginal seals. The oil and its additives may even clean deposits from the engine, which is good -- unless those deposits are acting like spackle on questionable seals.

Absolutely RR, so Pennzoil are talking crap, almost certainly trying to avoid blame, or lawsuit when it happens using their product.

Absolutely RR, so Pennzoil are talking crap, almost certainly trying to avoid blame, or lawsuit when it happens using their product.

Ahhhhm.How are they talking crap etc.?

They are saying that it is a myth as RR posted ie they say it is alright to use it.

From the above;

The myth is rooted in the idea that synthetic oil is “slipperier,” lower in viscosity, or not as compatible with seals and will therefore leak or leak more in places conventional oil might not

Edited by garryjohns

Ahhhhm.How are they talking crap etc.?

They are saying that it is a myth as RR posted ie they say it is alright to use it.

From the above;

The myth is rooted in the idea that synthetic oil is “slipperier,” lower in viscosity, or not as compatible with seals and will therefore leak or leak more in places conventional oil might not

You posted this statement.....

"From Pennzoil website;

Myth: You shouldn’t use synthetic oil in an older vehicle."

I am saying that statement is false and that many people will regret using synthetic oils for the first time on older engines.

​The rest is irrelevant, as to why, who and what....you shouldn't use it. If you do and you get leaks, the chances are the oil caused the leaks.

It is always a good idea to get as close as possible to the recommended oils and if synthetic oils weren't around when the engine was built, it couldn't have been designed to use it.