Chiang Mai police charge employees in zipline tourist death

webfact

The original report says one person didn't weigh enough to make the zip line reach the other end. That happens sometimes, like with our daughter, who started zip lining when she was 5. If a person is too light for a long run, an attendent will usually ride along and help him/her reach the end. There's nothing negligent or wrong about it. I get the feeling that people criticizing this part of what happened don't know much about zip lining or how it works.

The correct and safe answer is, those outside the weight limits can't participate.

Two to a zip is negligent at every occurrence.

Seen the height limits on fairground and theme park rides?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to interrupt the pile-on about Thailand and zip lining, but has anyone read the original report? Or thought about why so much criticism is being heaped on here?

The original report says one person didn't weigh enough to make the zip line reach the other end. That happens sometimes, like with our daughter, who started zip lining when she was 5. If a person is too light for a long run, an attendent will usually ride along and help him/her reach the end. There's nothing negligent or wrong about it. I get the feeling that people criticizing this part of what happened don't know much about zip lining or how it works.

If the girl in this story hit the end at a bad angle and then collapsed, it probably was not apparent what had gone wrong. Unless somebody was watching her head closely at just the right split second, how would they know what had happened? Think about it. If somebody collapsed in front of you on a ride, would you know why? Right away?

I don't see a cover up here. When the broken neck was found during an autopsy, the people from the ride came forward and assumed responsibility. They didn't lawyer up and hide. It looks to me like they were and are trying to do the right thing.

And there is a speed control on CM zip lines. It's a forked stick that riders hold. Hang it over the cable and pull down. You slow or stop. Simple and effective.

So let's keep in mind that people get hurt and killed every day doing ordinary things like driving, swimming, boating, etc. Cars crash and airplanes fall down. People choke in restaurants. It's unfortunate when someone gets hurt, but not every death or injury means somebody did something wrong -- or that a country or a business should be flamed.

Man are you good at letting people off the hook! Talk about reading the report: it said she ran into another person at the end because no one caught her. And that they even need to catch anyone is because the idea that a "forked stick" hanging over the cable is a safe breaking mechanism is ludicrous! The fact that people get hurt doing ordinary things has absolutely NOTHING to do with this tragedy, what are you thinking! This is a business that is being run improperly and people like you are the main reason they will continue to do so, unbelievable!

For MaeJoMTB and DavidB4 (quotes below) --

You sound authoritative, MaeJo, but a little research will show that the zip line industry is almost entirely self regulated -- even in the USA. So where did you get your "correct and safe" idea about minimum weight limits for riders? It's not any kind of industry standard, and I don't think it's even a good idea. Zip lines vary in design and slope. Why should a small or light rider be banned when there are safe and easy work-arounds?

As for you, David, it seems clear to me that you've never ridden a zip line. Am I right? Are you even familiar with them? Or expert about braking mechanisms or recreational rides? You write like an authority in all three areas, but I'm pretty sure you're not familiar with zip lines.

So let me educate you a bit.... Riders come off zip lines at different speeds. Some people like to land hard and fast. Some come in facing forward. Others come in backwards or sideways. There is usually padding at the end of long or fast zip lines, but it's still good practice (IMHO) for one or two attendents to catch each rider and help them land safely. If that didn't happen here, and somebody got hurt, then I guess I do have questions about whether the attendants were following their own park's safety rules -- or maybe were negligent. Sounds like at least one insurance company has already concluded they were.

Finally, am I good at "letting people off the hook"? I don't think so. I used to practice personal injury law, and I wasn't known for letting negligent people off the hook. I was better known for suing them.

Hope this is helpful --

Quotes:

From MaeJoMTB: "The correct and safe answer is, those outside the weight limits can't participate. Two to a zip is negligent at every occurrence."

From DavidB4: "Man are you good at letting people off the hook!"

Edited by ericjt

For MaeJoMTB and David (quotes below) --

You sound authoritative, MaeJo, but a little research will show that the zip line industry is almost entirely self regulated -- even in the USA. So where did you get your "correct and safe" idea about minimum weight limits for riders? It's not any kind of industry standard, and I don't think it's even a good idea. Zip lines vary in design and slope. Why should a small or light rider be banned when there are safe and easy work-arounds?

As for you, David, it seems clear to me that you've never ridden a zip line. Am I right? Are you even familiar with them? Or expert about braking mechanisms or recreational rides? You write like an authority in all three areas, but I'm pretty sure you're not familiar with zip lines.

So let me educate you a bit.... Riders come off zip lines at different speeds. Some people like to land hard and fast. Some come in facing forward. Others come in backwards or sideways. There is usually padding at the end of long or fast zip lines, but it's still good practice (IMHO) for one or two attendents to catch each rider and help them land safely. If that didn't happen here, and somebody got hurt, then I guess I do have questions about whether the attendants were following their own park's safety rules -- or maybe were negligent. Sounds like at least one insurance company has already concluded they were.

Finally, am I good at "letting people off the hook"? I don't think so. I used to practice personal injury law, and I wasn't known for letting negligent people off the hook. I was better known for suing them.

Hope this is helpful --

Quotes:

From MaeJoMTB: "The correct and safe answer is, those outside the weight limits can't participate. Two to a zip is negligent at every occurrence."

From David: "Man are you good at letting people off the hook!"

Allot of things seem to be clear to you with little or no information. Can't imagine how you successfully sued people unless it was for sexual harassment and you just made it up. To answer the only thing I care to on your post let me educate you smarty: yes I have zip lined several times(how many have you?) in Costa Rica where they have proper mechanical breaks on the mechanism, not a stick. So now you say: "I guess I do have questions " wow!