Change Car on Name - Strange Story

dennis123

I bought a car and made the final payments, the seller supplied me with documents to change the name at the land office.

I go to one of the people at one of those small shops and ask for some assistance.

She tells me one of the papers is not in order, eg the papers that the seller supplied me (had to do with workpermit), she says that she has to send it to Bangkok as she has some friend there who can correct it.

I let her do it, waiting already 2.5-3 weeks now, still nothing.

Today I call her again and she tells me I have to come with the car as a form of guarantee / to verfiy it.

This sounds like the biggest nonsense ever to me but I could be wrong.

Somehow I feel that they want to legally steal the car from me (call it paranoia) and not put in on my name but on their own name instead and take the car from me when I arrive there or something.

What do you think? Is it normal that you have to bring the car with you instead of only the correct papers, something about this story smells very bad.

I go to one of the people at one of those small shops and ask for some assistance.

She tells me one of the papers is not in order, eg the papers that the seller supplied me (had to do with workpermit), she says that she has to send it to Bangkok as she has some friend there who can correct it.

What? You went to one of the small shops to ask for advice, right in front of the transport office? No documents have to be send to Bangkok, that's what the transport department guys are usually doing.

You gave your docs to a person you know nothing about? Show up with the cops and you'll see how she's reacting. Gossh,

Let me guess, the woman let you sign some documents in Thai, right? Lol -biggrin.png

Edited by lostinisaan

Had contact with the seller and he says it's a normal procedure to check the chassis number of the car.

I did go to the transport department, same place where I got my Thai driving license this week, but I believe they also have the land office next to it or in the same building, about 9km from Pattaya.

Called the lady today and will see her tomorrow at 10am to put the car on my name, papers are back from Bangkok so all should be good, if not I return with the seller and the police.

Car is on my name now, worried for nothing!

So you were able to have the title of the car transferred into your name, using this woman, without having to go to the LTD yourself, is that right? What did she charge for her services?

So you were able to have the title of the car transferred into your name, using this woman, without having to go to the LTD yourself, is that right? What did she charge for her services?

And what was the 'have to go to Bangkok' all about?

I had to sign a power of attorney to give her permission, when she asked me to sign that Thai paper I first called the Thai wife of the seller to verify.

Right after the transport office checked my chassis number and then she told me to return in 2 hours (didn't have to leave my car), so it took me less than 10 minutes, after 2 hours I came back and she returned me the blue book.with my name in it.

She charged 800 baht for going to Bangkok, 700 baht for putting it on my name, and 4800 baht for the transport office as I paid 480.000 baht for the car.

Edited by dennis123

I had to sign a power of attorney to give her permission, when she asked me to sign that Thai paper I first called the Thai wife of the seller to verify.

Right after the transport office checked my chassis number and then she told me to return in 2 hours (didn't have to leave my car), so it took me less than 10 minutes, after 2 hours I came back and she returned me the blue book.with my name in it.

She charged 800 baht for going to Bangkok, 700 baht for putting it on my name, and 4800 baht for the transport office as I paid 480.000 baht for the car.

If you gave her POA you must have gone to a lawyer to get that done, that can't have been cheap.

The LTD charges 1% to put a car in the name of the new owner, is that right?

If you gave her POA you must have gone to a lawyer to get that done, that can't have been cheap.

For vehicle transfer poa is a form, no lawyer required.

For vehicle transfer poa is a form, no lawyer required.

Ok, thanks, but what about the 1% fee he was charged, is that normal now? None of the used cars I've bought here have had that charge applied unless it was hidden in the dealers advertised prices.

Ok, thanks, but what about the 1% fee he was charged, is that normal now? None of the used cars I've bought here have had that charge applied unless it was hidden in the dealers advertised prices.

I know there is a fee, amount to be paid depending on car value.

But just like you I have never had to pay that, so sorry, don't know the exact level/percentage.

• 3 weeks later...