Can't get back Windows 8

Charlie

My problem is this. My two years old Acer laptop was already installed with Windows 8

when I first bought it. No Product Key was given. The Windows 8 was activated.

I didn't back up or make a Image copy. Everything works fine.

Just a month ago, I downloaded the Free Windows 10.

Now I tried to get back to my Windows 8, but I failed because I don't have the Product Key.

I tried by using the Recovery Windows 8.1 SL Creation Tool, but it keeps on asking for

my Product Key. I can't proceed further after that.

Is there any way to bring back my Genuine Windows 8.

Please kindly advice. Much appreciated. Thanking you all in advance.

If Win-8 was a legitimate, factory installed version then one of these methods should provide it.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/four-places-find-windows-8-product-key/

I didn't know this but apparently Microsoft stopped putting visible Product Key stickers on new computers some time ago as a security measure.

Edited by dddave

Just click the do this later button or whatever they call it but you will see it. Once the install has finished it should be OK. I had the same problem when I took up the offer to go up from 8 to 8.1 and it went breasts up whistling.gif It did though go hassle free from 8 to 10 so a happy camper wink.png

But in saying that

I have installed Linux Mint 17.2 on all my Computers

to get away from Microsoft steeling all my Data

No need for an Anti virus But I have one install just in case "clamtk"

I have learned recently that Anti viruses on Windows are only 20% efficient anyway

Linux Mint is free easy to install works just like Windows 7 comes complete with everything the Average user would need

http://www.linuxmint.com/

I had an almost identical problem with an HP.

The solution is to install some simple software that will find all your Windows product keys and then save them in a new document.

There are many reputable options out there, I forget which I used and once you have the information, just uninstall that software.

Problem solved

But in saying that

I have learned recently that Anti viruses on Windows are only 20% efficient anyway

Linux Mint is free easy to install works just like Windows 7 comes complete with everything the Average user would need

How does this help the OP get his key back....

But in saying that

How does this help the OP get his key back....

If you read my previous reply he shouldn't need his Key if his Win 8 was installed correctly and has a Win 8 Backup partition on his HDD

All he has to do is re-install from the Back-up Partition and if his Copy of Win 8 is genuine it should have Win 8 Key pre-installed on the Back-up Partition

I had an almost identical problem with an HP.

The solution is to install some simple software that will find all your Windows product keys and then save them in a new document.

There are many reputable options out there, I forget which I used and once you have the information, just uninstall that software.

Problem solved

Magical Jellybean Key Finder does exactly that.

More info on this problem. I bought this computer with the pre-loaded Genuine Windows 8.

It works fine. Windows was activated. New computers with pre-loaded Windows don't have

Product Key written on the back for security or copy rights reason.

My mistake was this. I didn't back up or make an Image Copy. Second mistake was that I was

given a month to roll back to Windows 8. But after a month, the option was gone.

Now I am permanently stuck with Windows 10. I tried a program to get the Product Key, but the

Product given was only on Windows 10. The question now is this. Can I ever be able to get

back my Windows 8 ? Please advice. Much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

in all probability your W8 is not genuine. Try reinstalling it. plenty of sites to show you how its done. If the OP, needs help, kindly pm me

if the admin feels this in inappropriate, kindly remove it. My intention is only to help

Slightly off topic but relevant-I too have an Acer 1 year old purchased from Big C Patong with pre loaded Windows 8.I took the free down load of Windows 10 and no probs with download. However, I can now no longer create a short cut to desk top by right clicking the mouse-no probs with 8-how can I create short cuts to frequently visited websites? Thanks.

Slightly off topic but relevant-I too have an Acer 1 year old purchased from Big C Patong with pre loaded Windows 8.I took the free down load of Windows 10 and no probs with download. However, I can now no longer create a short cut to desk top by right clicking the mouse-no probs with 8-how can I create short cuts to frequently visited websites? Thanks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569609/create-shortcuts-windows.html

Having had Windows 8 for about 2 years in my Asus computer I recently installed Windows 10. It took a little time but was relatively simple and straight forward. After my experience with W8 and the inconvenience of not having a Start Menu and now the vast improvement with W10 I could never imagine myself ever wanting to go back to that God forsaken world of W8

Acer laptops mostly have Windows pre-installed and it is hidden in a partition on your hard disk..

Don't need to have a back up (recovery disk). You only need this when the the partition is unreadable (broken hd).

Just back up your files !!!

You can always go to System > System management `> Configuration > System

or just search for "recovery" !!!

Pick a date before the installation of your Windows 10. Let it run. Can take some time.

If this doesn't work >a full system reset / recovery:

For a full reset / system recovery.

Just back up your files !!!

Then restarting computer and press <Alt>-<F10> for system recovery.! BEFORE THE ACER LOGO APPEARS AND KEEP IT PRESSED !!!

Follow the instructions !

However I prefer Windows 10 over Windows 8.1

Edited by CharlieH

Just contact Acer using their website.

Fill in your details and ask them for the product key. If they don't have it, then you have an illegal installed version.

Normally doing a recovery Windows never asks for the product key !!!

Why do you think Microsoft give Windows 10 away for free? Think about it for a couple of minutes.

Learn to use Linux. If you need Windows to run legacy Windows applications, learn to use a virtual machine within Linux running Windows 7 or learn to use Windows emulation software. Buy a copy of Windows 7 so you're legal. When support runs out on Windows 7, you can still run your windows software, but it's pretty much in a 'sandbox' and risk and damage from hacks will be limited and repairable.

Why do you think Microsoft give Windows 10 away for free? Think about it for a couple of minutes.

Learn to use Linux. If you need Windows to run legacy Windows applications, learn to use a virtual machine within Linux running Windows 7 or learn to use Windows emulation software. Buy a copy of Windows 7 so you're legal. When support runs out on Windows 7, you can still run your windows software, but it's pretty much in a 'sandbox' and risk and damage from hacks will be limited and repairable.

There in an App in Linux called "Wine"

That allows you to use some Windows programs

l