New Isuzu Cross

Gary A

I filled up the tank when I took delivery. I made a trip from home to Udon and back, about 280 kilometers. Then some local driving. Yesterday I headed down to Jomtien. Total about 940 kilometers and not all highway driving. Today I filled the tank and was quite surprised to see that I got 16.48 KPL. The built in computer said I got 15.2 KPL. Anyways I am quite pleased. I wouldn't have thought the 4X4 would get that good of economy. Of course I didn't drive like an idiot. Open highway I held it to about 100 KPH, sometimes a little faster and sometimes a little slower. I just kept up with the traffic. I expect that when I go back upcountry it will do better than that because it will be all highway driving.

On my V-Cross I can still get those kind of figures on a run, according to the on board computer, using a gentle foot and keeping below 100kph.On a recent drive up to Phu Tub Berg it indicated 17+ km/l, but driving around there soon crashed it.

My indicated speed has always been 7% higher than that shown on the GPS and on 'tank full' to 'tank full' the computer has always shown around 10% better fuel consumption than actual.

One 'tank full' to the next one is not that accurate and I suspect that the reason is that 'full' not only varies from garage to garage but even pump to pump.Normally the guy lets the pump cut off automatically and then presses the button to get a 'round' figure in baht. I think you need a few tank fulls to get an accurate figure. 90% of my fill ups are from the same Shell pump and I normally use Fuel Save, with a few odd V-Power Nitros to clear things out .

V-Cross, good choice, probably the smoothest ride of all the pickups. In three and a half years I haven't had to replace anything except the battery and nothing is ever faulty at service.

Driving around Bangkok hammers the fuel consumption so up country you should do well.

You might find it interesting to join www.fuelly.com and input your fill ups. You can see my details on there. Here is the graph.

post-17329-0-00500700-1445046235_thumb.j

Enjoy your new truck.

Edited by JAS21

Driving the 140 kilometers to Udon Thani, the computer said 17.2 KPL. Driving around Udon for maybe an hour and a half dropped it down to 15 KPL. On the way back home, it never got back to even 16 KPL. You're right that city driving is hard on fuel economy. The next fill up, I'll try that Shell high power stuff just to satisfy my curiosity.Both tanks of fuel came from the stations that have the big green leaf sign. I don't know the name of that brand. My old Nissan didn't like that brand of fuel.

Gary don't waste your money on that Shell overpriced diesel, a total waste of money in my opinion, Caltex is best on milage in my experience and you now get 1 card points.

I have never been too particular about diesel fuel and normally stop where it is most convenient. I normally avoided the big green leaf brand because the Nissan fuel economy seemed to suffer a little. I think you are correct about the premium priced brands. Trying them in my old truck, I never noticed any improvement. Every 15 to 20,000 kilometers, I put a bottle injector cleaner through it. Whether it helped or not is another question. I always used the bio diesel when it was available and couldn't tell the difference.