Internet activists declare 'Cyber War' on NCPO

webfact

Internet Activists Declare ‘Cyber War’ on Junta
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14449081781444908405l.jpg
An image posted last night to Facebook along with a statement calling for renewed attacks on government web services starting Tuesday.

BANGKOK — Online activists announced last night they will launch a full-scale assault against the military government Tuesday after it ignored their demand it issue a cabinet resolution scrapping the single internet gateway policy.

After earlier giving an ultimatum of 12 days for the junta to formally cancel the project, the self-proclaimed “Thailand F5 Cyber Army” announced last night it will attack government websites and servers, and then escalate them weekly for the next month until such a resolution is issued.

“As the government ignored our previous warning and the deadline is due, we now declare a cyber war against the dictator government,” read the statement posted last night to the Citizens Against Single Gateway group on Facebook.

The group posted on Facebook four demands they said must be met.

Those behind the Facebook page are anonymous, but their cause has drawn support by tapping into anxiety online about government interference with the internet.

Since the plan to build a system to funnel all internet traffic through a single channel erupted into controversy, government officials have insisted no action has been taken. Both junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha and the telecom minister have said it was only “under study” to protect national security and prosecute online criminals.

Speaking at an economic forum today, Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak said the plan had been halted.

"We will not talk about this any more. If we say we won't do it, we won't do it," Somkid was quoted saying at the meeting in a Reuters report.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1444908178&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-16

RELATED TOPIC:

Thailand scraps unpopular Internet 'Great Firewall' plan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we say we won't do it, we won't do it," Somkid was quoted saying at the meeting.

Lol, okkkaaayyy!

Straight out of the politician's handbook ' A 1001 Insincere Comments For Every Occasion ' featuring such old standards as ' Honestly, Trust Me and Please Believe Me '.

How can we check which gateway to the real world we are using?

You can begin with Googling "What is my IP?" Then search via domain etc. You can also use the command prompt and type tracert command......

Traceroute is a command which can show you the path a packet of information takes from your computer to one you specify. It will list all the routers it passes through until it reaches its destination, or fails to and is discarded. In addition to this, it will tell you how long each 'hop' from router to router takes.
How to Use the Traceroute Command - MediaCollege.com
www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html

I am kind of looking forward to seeing how this plays out. tongue.png

If GOV websites go down for any great length of time the powers that be will take it as a massive loss of face, and other than money and white skinned girls with fakes noses, we all know that's the greatest motivator over here.

Thai cyber warriors?...OK...don't forget to turn the ON the computer before you go cybering guys....

Don't underestimate these guys, there aren't many here in Thailand that know jacksh.t about computer hacking, but a small group of these guys knows just as much as a westerner or easterner.

You can begin with Googling "What is my IP?" Then search via domain etc. You can also use the command prompt and type tracert command......

Traceroute is a command which can show you the path a packet of information takes from your computer to one you specify. It will list all the routers it passes through until it reaches its destination, or fails to and is discarded. In addition to this, it will tell you how long each 'hop' from router to router takes.
How to Use the Traceroute Command - MediaCollege.com
www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html

Easy, type tracert in your console, start, in run, type cmd + enter (return), see pic.

Edited by KamalaRider

Interesting traceroute I did.

Can someone who runs Linux or Mac do the same traceroute.

Windows uses ICMP as protocol and it could easily be blocked in routers while Linux or Mac use UPD, which can't be blocked, Internet traffic will stop if they do.

Would be interesting to see if the traffic between 3BB and the backbone out still masks the route.

Thai cyber warriors?...OK...don't forget to turn the ON the computer before you go cybering guys....

Don't underestimate these guys, there aren't many here in Thailand that know jacksh.t about computer hacking, but a small group of these guys knows just as much as a westerner or easterner.
You are correct Thai geeks have amazing computer skills however there is no reason why the hackers must be Thai or even located in Thailand. Edited by devaram

So right you R

ultimatum? who they think they are to give ultimatum to government?

internet security firm (there are plenty of them in Europe, India etc) can sooner or later determine location of these cyber-terrorists. Catch them and throw in jail if they are in Thailand. revoke there Thai passports and freeze actives if they are abroad.

if Thais would have something like Israel's Mossad - it would be possible to catch them even abroad...

They could make a lot of damage to government sites if they felt inclined to.

I'm sure the government knows that, I'm also sure, if you want to hide yourself, you can create a network based abroad and domestic and get away from any peeping Tom.

It's not true that security agencies around the world can find out who you are and what an individual is doing that easy, but it only requires a mistake from the 'hacker' and he's done.

The prep to cover one selves are getting more and more difficult, but the criminals are always a step ahead.

internet security firm (there are plenty of them in Europe, India etc) can sooner or later determine location of these cyber-terrorists. Catch them and throw in jail if they are in Thailand. revoke there Thai passports and freeze actives if they are abroad.

if Thais would have something like Israel's Mossad - it would be possible to catch them even abroad...

You seriously underestimate potential capabilities. Breaking into networks & computers to steal data or compromise them is one thing. Simple Denial of Service another. I frankly have no idea what the capabilities of these particular activists actually are, but I don't think you do either. I do think I can sort of guess as to the extent of the government's forensic capabilities however.

You seriously underestimate potential capabilities. Breaking into networks & computers to steal data or compromise them is one thing. Simple Denial of Service another. I frankly have no idea what the capabilities of these particular activists actually are, but I don't think you do either. I do think I can sort of guess as to the extent of the government's forensic capabilities however.

it's not so easy to determine there capabilities from the fact instruments they were able to use was DNS-attack and internet site password bruteforce- two most primitive ways of attack.

Those who can do better usually secretly steal or delete data, infect networks swarms, trojans and viruses.

look like they are just a bunch unsatisfied schoolboy "rebel" geeks who are doing there best to assert in their own eyes. to show themselves how cool and tough they are.

if they will be found to be schoolboys or students - kick them out of education. seems like they don't deserve an education - because they spend so much time on something else. and force their parents to pay huge penalties for life.

Edited by TimmyT

it's not so easy to determine there capabilities from the fact the the only instrument thy were able to use was DNS-attack - the most primitive way of attack.

Those who can do better usually secretly to steal or delete data, insect networks with swarms, trojans and viruses.

look like they are just a bunch unsatisfied schoolboy "rebel" geeks who are doing there best to assert in their own eyes. to show themselves how cool and tough they are.

if they will be found to be schoolboys or students - kick them out of education. seems like they don't deserve an education - because they spend so much time on something else. and force their parents to pay huge penalties for life.

Or hijack a central router and reroute all traffic to a shadow "routers" and publish information on ghost web sites that looks like government web sites, but aren't. These web sites don't leave any traces behind if they set them up correctly. Could be a goDaddy website, easy to shutdown but the damage could already been done.

One postive aspect if it were kids "playing" around and they've managed to crack any government web site, mail server, router, network, or any other type of public server.

I think the government should hire them, because then they are probably more sufficient than the guys running gov. servers.

it's not so easy to determine there capabilities from the fact the the only instrument thy were able to use was DNS-attack - the most primitive way of attack.

Those who can do better usually secretly to steal or delete data, insect networks with swarms, trojans and viruses.

Or hijack a central router and reroute all traffic to a shadow "routers" and publish information on ghost web sites that looks like government web sites, but aren't. These web sites don't leave any traces behind if they set them up correctly. Could be a goDaddy website, easy to shutdown but the damage could already been done.

hijack a central router?!

lol

if they would be able to do that they would certainly have some more interesting things to do than posting stupid political appeals...

I didn't say they had the capability, but just lets speculate for a while.

What if they had a "member" inside 3BB, or any other ISP or even the government. IT dep.

Without any traces he could use a coworkers PC, locally or remotely with 'mac address' protection capabilities and reroute the, whole/parts of, network of Thailand on a lunch break.

The guy who leaves his computer logged on or have gotten his password stolen by this coworker gets the blame, the real perpetrator gets away without a trace.

A friend of a friend manage to steal selected domains and reroutes them to their own, happens all the time, mostly for spam mail, fake web sites.

If we say we won't do it, we won't do it," Somkid was quoted saying at the meeting.

Lol, okkkaaayyy!

Learned a long time ago no means yes in this country. Example the "sub" debacle. One week they say it is shelved because there are bigger priorities which is true and the next week its a done deal. The thinking here can turn on a dime.

We don't care s..t what you think. In case you have not noticed the single gateway have been condemned by all western countries and by the Thai people themselves, so are you in a position to override the wishes of the majority of Thai's. Are you indeed in a position to justify the junta as a legal government based on the last approved 2007 constitution ? And please stop watching 007 and get back to earth.

See example below.

Microsoft was a bad example, will do another.

I think what you are seeing is public facing servers that are set to reject traceroute (tracert) requests. Said another way, they are set to reject ICMP traffic. The traceroute request at the command prompt is timing out at any such server.

There is no reason to believe that a single gateway in Thailand would accept ICMP traffic and allow a traceroute.

BTW I keep wondering why these guys are "F5" and not "CTRL+F5" which would force a hard refresh and potentially pull much more data including images from the server rather than looking to their own boxes' cache for it.

If I set up this gateway server it would destroy ICMP packets and that would be the end of tracert commands.

Cheers.

See example below.

Microsoft was a bad example, will do another.

I think what you are seeing is public facing servers that are set to reject traceroute (tracert) requests. Said another way, they are set to reject ICMP traffic. The traceroute request at the command prompt is timing out at any such server.

There is no reason to believe that a single gateway in Thailand would accept ICMP traffic and allow a traceroute.

BTW I keep wondering why these guys are "F5" and not "CTRL+F5" which would force a hard refresh and potentially pull much more data including images from the server rather than looking to their own boxes' cache for it.

If I set up this gateway server it would destroy ICMP packets and that would be the end of tracert commands.

Cheers.

No you wouldn't, sorry the windows console app tracert use ICMP but I can download or make a traceroute app using UDP. Like I said in an earlier post, the protocol UDP can be used instead.