Why stay in Thailand if everything is bad (according to some)

robblok

I don't get it why people stay in Thailand if its so bad. You hear people moan about almost everything but at the same time the Visa advice part of this forum is full of people desperately finding ways to stay in Thailand.

So obviously its better as back home otherwise people would all leave.

I moan about the country at times too but I do know this I would rather live here as back in The Netherlands.

So that means its better here as back home.

But some people are super negative.. what keeps them here ?

Because most of them come here think it will be a great life sell the lot back home car , home the lot go to thailand not like it at all and can't go back because have nothing gone and just live here and complain on TV .

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Similar to others have written but here's my view, Some come here, its warmer, its more free in terms of regs & rules, cheaper cost of living generally, pretty girls easily obtainable short or long term. They have more money in their pocket as there home currency seems to go that much further, life is full of milk & honey and they decide to sell up and move here.

Then after a number of years, some longer than others, the milk & honey turns out to be being milked and paying for your honey.It all starts to be same same, the shiney new place with all its wonders doesnt look so good anymore, reality and "life" settles down to day to day living and suddenly its not for them, this doesnt work, why cant this happen, everything starts to become an irritation.

So, he then starts to consider going back to his homeland, and what does he find, its all gone, hardly recognisable to what he left behind those years ago, friends etc have moved on, places change, its even more expensive now and the reality bites, He's stuck !! nothing to go back to, not really happy now the attraction has worn off in Thailand, he becomes discontent, miserable and with ageing health, start to become bitter and twisted.

Life can be hard, but ultimately, you made those choices, dont make others pay for them, your own attitude is all that needs adjusting, as per my signature line, "its not what you look at, its what you see", you can decide if you want to be positive and enjoy what you have, or be miserable and complain and live in the past where you think you were once happy, but if it was so great, why did you ever leave.

Thailand has its problems, of course, but on the whole, and I think most would generally agree, its a pleasant "easy" place to live with less rules & regs and a general sense of "freedom" and "up to you". So it is up to you how you choose to deal with it. Sadly too many are stuck in the past, and you cant go forward whilst looking backward or you will fall.

People come here for a better life than back home,but after a few years it gets boring,why should they not let off steam,they look at young kids ridieng motor bikes,no helmet police do nothing,if a farang has accident it there fault not the thai person,after a time it gets to you,we can see where this goverment and the police are so wrong in what they do.

So you think your insurance company is going to pay out on an accident that was caused by a Thai who has no license and,to add to your myth,was drunk,think again.All part of the farang myth that is perpetrated on TVF.If you pay you have sucker tattooed on your forehead for all to see.

I disagree, I think language does come into it. If a Thai person went to live in the US/OZ/UK for many years and could not converse on a wide range of subjects articulately in English, they too would not be fully accepted. After 8 years here my Thai is now good enough to do this, and hence when I socialize with Thai friends we never discuss the weather and/or bowel movements.

English is a useful language in many countries, anyone staying for 8 years in an English speaking country would get citizenship or at least PR.

In Thailand, more than 4 languages to choose from, and why bother, it's not as if you're allowed to stay longer than a year, and none of the languages are useful anywhere else in the world.

By the way, I can speak, read and write Central, get by in Lao and Lanna, sing songs in Southern.

I can also speak French and get by in Spanish, both languages more worthwhile learning than any of the Thai choices.

Thai friends ...... many claim this, few have any.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Wife and ability to grow many trees I like, dont like Thais much especially selfish cultural traits of "me first" and happy to say so.

" selfish cultural traits of "me first" " In third world countries where there is not enough of anything, it is expected.

I disagree, I think language does come into it. If a Thai person went to live in the US/OZ/UK for many years and could not converse on a wide range of subjects articulately in English, they too would not be fully accepted. After 8 years here my Thai is now good enough to do this, and hence when I socialize with Thai friends we never discuss the weather and/or bowel movements.

English is a useful language in many countries, anyone staying for 8 years in an English speaking country would get citizenship or at least PR.

In Thailand, more than 4 languages to choose from, and why bother, it's not as if you're allowed to stay longer than a year, and none of the languages are useful anywhere else in the world.

By the way, I can speak, read and write Central, get by in Lao and Lanna, sing songs in Southern.

I can also speak French and get by in Spanish, both languages more worthwhile learning than any of the Thai choices.

I would say the ability to speak Thai has helped me, im probably not as good in it as you as you read and write and I cant. But being able to speak Thai has opened doors and helped a lot. It makes you a lot less dependent on others and for me at least it added to the quality of life. When I first came here I could not even order food or say even the simplest things. Now I can hold conversation on simple subjects and it helps.

But well done for learning to read and write in Thai.

I would say the ability to speak Thai has helped me, im probably not as good in it as you as you read and write and I cant. But being able to speak Thai has opened doors and helped a lot. It makes you a lot less dependent on others and for me at least it added to the quality of life. When I first came here I could not even order food or say even the simplest things. Now I can hold conversation on simple subjects and it helps.

Yeah, but you're in BK where they all speak central.

I'm in MaeJo where they all normally converse in Lanna .... completely different language.

In my 4 year olds school, nobody speaks central. He's the one teaching me Lanna, no schools or books to learn from.

Bun hat too-wer (Lanna) = I love you (English) = chan rak tur (Central)

You have no chance ........

Same if you move to Issan .... normal conversations would be in Lao.

Might as well just Speak English. You're just as likely to be understood.

I'm in MaeJo where they all normally converse in Lanna .... completely different language.

In my 4 year olds school, nobody speaks central. He's the one teaching me Lanna, no schools or books to learn from.

Still well done for reading and writing, i was learning it (schools are far from here as I am in the burbs of BKK) so I bought my own books and courses but it just took a lot of time and in the end I got bored with it. I might give it an other try when I got a bit more time on my hands. Speaking is a lot easier as i get practice with the locals and the computer programs and books and so on.

But I just like it that now I can get things done and explain problems. I am sure I make mistakes while speaking Thai but in the end they do understand me. Unlike many people I don't mind it that i make mistakes, i learn from them otherwise I would never get any practice speaking the language.

Do you consider yourself extremely negative about Thailand and Thais and still trying to stay here ? If so then I was talking about you. But not putting you down just questioning your logic of staying somewhere that you hate unless of course the good outweighs the bad.

Not much positive to say about the country or people, everything is about GREED.

My logic for coming, cheap women.

My logic for staying, cheap women.

But wait, didn't you have one of those, now she's gone why are you staying?

How about you telling us your logic for staying?

Expats go from Newbies to seasoned.

They learn more about this country the longer they stay here.

The more they learn the more they evaluate their decision whether to continue to stay or not.

Expats -in fact every one changes over time-as Thailand has done.

Some stay-some go.

Simple

Still well done for reading and writing, i was learning it (schools are far from here as I am in the burbs of BKK) so I bought my own books and courses but it just took a lot of time and in the end I got bored with it. I might give it an other try when I got a bit more time on my hands. Speaking is a lot easier as i get practice with the locals and the computer programs and books and so on.

But I just like it that now I can get things done and explain problems. I am sure I make mistakes while speaking Thai but in the end they do understand me. Unlike many people I don't mind it that i make mistakes, i learn from them otherwise I would never get any practice speaking the language.

Respect to anyone who takes time to learn Thai, its not an easy language to master, but from what I can see from the expressions on the Thai faces when you try is all worth the effort.

@ttthailand,

You are right of course.. I don't mind the complaining because of course there are things wrong here. Its more the putting down of the locals all the time that gets to me.

There are plenty of valid complaints, but acting like the locals are all dumb greedy and so on.. just not true.

I agree but until you have walked in a man's shoes don't judge him. Who know what the guy complaining has been experiencing.

True.. but generalizing never works.. but its so easy the us against them. I am not from the UK but will try to give an example to make it clear what I mean.

Like if i were to see a drunk Brit with a shaved head causing trouble i could say all Brits are trash (not true of course) while a Brit would say all Chavs are trash excluding himself from the group.

Its so easy for a foreigner to slag off all Thais instead of being a bit more specific .. generalizing is never good and putting down each and every Thai is just bad.

For my edification,whats a chav.Couldn't find it my Ozzy English dictionary.

Chav

Picture this a young lad about 12 years of age and 4 ½ feet high baseball cap at ninety degrees in a imitation addidas tracksuit, with trouser legs tucked into his socks (of course, is definitely the height of fashion). This lad is strutting around, fag in one hand jewellery al over the over, outside McDonalds acting as if he is 8 foot tall and built like a rugby player, when some poor unsuspecting adult (about 17/18) walks round the corner wanting to go to mcdonalds for his dinner glances at the young lad, the young lad jumps up in complete disgust and says “Whats your problem? Wanna make sommin of it? Bling Bling” when the adult starts to walk towards the young lad, the young lad pisses himself and runs off to either his pregnant 14-year-old girlfriend or his brother in the army crying his eyes out.

My mate has become a chav what can i do? answer is shoot him before it is too late.

Derived from Chatham in Kent, this term can be applied loosely to every culture with a nasty, thieving element. There are many variants of this creature but all are subject to the following commonalities:

Chavs are completely Amoral, having never been subjected to right and wrong by their inattentive, uncaring and often absent parents.

Chavs are part Magpie, evidentially supported by their love of all things shiny, or as vaccuous, illiterate street-slang would say 'Bling'. They can be seen twokking from the Jewelry counter in Argos/Index.

Whatever their ethnic background, Chavs have a built-in affinity to hip-hop/R&B, even if they are inherently racist (see the Scottish). They see their life as glamorous and cool.

Chavs are for the most part, extremely stupid. However, some of them render a form of low cunning, which can be misinterpreted as intelligence. However this is false. A Chav has no desire to better themself through honest means nor learn anything outside of car modification.

All chavs think that they are nails. Again, this is false. Sitting in a beaten up nova smoking lamberts does not precipitate a healthy body. The irony being that a Chav owns mainly sportswear, yet will only break a sweat if running from the police.

Chavs are incredibly fertile beasts, and are highly successful breeders. Where they come unstuck is having to look after the offspring which their 13 yr old drunken fumble produces. More often that not the child will crow to be a Chav, having received no more guidance on life than the parent.

Chavs have a fond love for cars, as well as a Vin Diesel fixation. Rather than buy a nice car to start with, a chav will spend all their dole and tax-free labouring cash on upgrading a 10 year old car with 200,000 miles on the clock. The end product will invariably be a luminous monstrosity with at least one serious collision to it's name.

Come back with my bumper, you <deleted> Chav thief.

Commonly thought to be of inferior intellect, the Chavette surprises us with its cunning plan to avoid taking up a professional career and provide itself with free accommodation supplied by tax payers by spawning multi coloured mini chavs at a early stage in life, usually mid teens.

Clearly recognisable by their distinctive tribal Burberry they congregate in town centres and on street corners, Chavs have a reputation of being creative with public property and motor vehicles, building themselves Chaviots out of mechcano sets and strip lighting, and providing us with humorous banta written on toilet walls like ‘Shit’ and ‘Tasha woz ere’ in an attempt to relieve our boredom while urinating.

Their language is a basic form of English thus avoiding any words they cannot spell or pronounce, even to the extent of creating new words only they know the meaning of.

Hunting in large groups Chavs will single out the weakest, smallest prey and attack it without mercy avoiding any personal injury and insuring victory.

Chavs unfortunately don't yet fall into the category of rodent and in effect cannot be bludgeoned to death under the guise of pest control. Darn!-

I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you Chavs for the great contribution you’ve made to this country, you’ve made it what it what it is today – a shit hole.

(From Urban Dic App)

An interesting question and some interesting and funny replies. My choice is to have two homes. The primary home (10 years) is in north Vietnam in a provincial city 1.5 hours train ride to Hanoi. My location is in the Eastern burbs of Bangkok (4 years).

My Vietnam home is a large rented villa and I live with a Vietnamese family which includes a beautiful lady. I can speak some Vietnamese. In Bangkok I have a been coming and going for 10 years mostly staying in hotels but for the 3 years I have rented a modest older style condo. I have a live-in housekeeper who doubles as a high school English teacher during the day. She enjoys the arrangement of me paying the rent and coming and going. I make a trip to BKK about every 4-5 weeks and stay about 10-12 days. An advance paid return fare might cost about US$150 return. Takes about 1.75 hours.

Plusses and minuses for both countries. Vietnam is half the price of Thailand to live, alcohol costs next to nothing eg at the local Big C I pay for White Horse whiskey US$7, premium beer delivered to the door by the crate US$0,35c/330ml bottle. A draft beer on the street in the city I live is about US$0.25c/large glass, in Hanoi bia hoi US$0.40c. Food costs stuff all. Rent is a little dearer than Thailand. On the downside sex is not so easy to find in Vietnam for older men or even younger men for that matter. One needs to put in the hard yards with the family to find a partner. There are very few equivalents of the girlie bar as we know it in Thailand.

One of the reasons I come to Thailand is to do my Vietnam visa run and while there get to enjoy a different world. I travel about Isaan and enjoy that part of the country, particularly Nong Khai. I still enjoy the odd beer or three in the girlie bars. In Bangkok I get about on the local buses, shop in the wet markets and use the excellent health services there for my check-ups etc.

Vietnam is a far much safer country to live than Thailand in just about every respect. The Vietnamese people generally are much more hospitable and warm and friendly. I have a number of very good Vietnamese men friends. By contrast I would hardly consider having a Thai male friend and to some extent I am cautious of many Thai women.

I am loving my life at moment. The cost is not huge as I live modestly and I do not have my capital tied up in property which could disappear in the blink of an eye.

Perhaps I have sown some seeds of thought among those who would like to change their routine and expand life's opportunities.

kop mak

And what gives someone the right to say " if you don't like it go back to your own country" if they don't like what I say then don't listen.

People have the ability to block or skip people or posts they don't like. Stop complaining about people complaining !

You're questioning the right for someone to say "if you don't like it go back to your own country." By your reasoning someone can express an opinion about the country but another person cannot express their opinion about your opinion. Sounds kind of like saying I can express my opinion but you can't criticize me for what I say.

The right you might be asking about is called Freedom of Speech. It applies to everyone!

He is questioning the right to say go back to your own country if you are not happy for good reason, as it is an incredibly lazy thing to say. There is absolutely no creative juice in such a statement. People complain. And some get offended by the complaining, and utter a juvenile statement such as that one. It is tired. Let's put that one to rest.

As long as people are speaking the truth I see no problem with them speaking out. Why sit back and suck it up all the time.... Call a spade a spade and move on.... Get it off your chest.... Release some stress ....

Many of us came here young and worked in real jobs made money, invested and planted roots. Things change and we don't like it and complain, so what, this is our home even though we are not Thai. We have homes, cars, wives or girlfriend, friends etc .... We have the right to complain when things are wrong.

People who bend over and take it all the time are the ones who bother me not the ones who speak up again the wrongs of the world.

People who come here on long holidays and think this is the greatest land in the world are blind and can't see anything as they have not had time. They don't read the papers, experience the corruption, or experience being robbed or raped. Be here awhile and you will see.... Sure it happens everywhere and people in those places complain also.

And what gives someone the right to say " if you don't like it go back to your own country" if they don't like what I say then don't listen.

People have the ability to block or skip people or posts they don't like. Stop complaining about people complaining !

Worry about yourself more and stop worrying about what other people do. Live and let live..... Have a nice day smile.png

I like your third paragraph . ' People who bend over and take it all the time .................................Could this be another reason for folk being here ?

I am of Dutch nationality ,have been living in Australia since 1968 I lived in hilversum and still remember when I told someone where I was going he said oh man Amsterdam is far enough for me ,so much for the Dutch .You of course have the same feelings as I have ,reading tv for the last 2 years I am amazed at the amount of Thai haters. I really get the feeling that most of them are not in Thailand I think they are just jealous bored trolls , if not than remember you have got the right to leave ,me personally l love it here in Isaan ,simple, great food great GF ,nice family. The difference between bagging and constructive criticism is....

Just because you don't have Thai friends doesn't mean others don't. Once again, an expat confusing their own personal experiences of a place with reality. And no doubt seeking affirmation of this from their own narrow social circle. Despite not being "allowed to say longer than a year", I've stayed 8, and find - strangely enough - that Thai is very useful in Thailand. I don't think Spanish and French would be of that much use to me in communicating with Thais, but agreed - both are useful languages generally speaking. I studied Farsi and Arabic at university, and have been using the latter every day for work for many years. I was part of the pre-9/11 Arabic/Middle East studies intake at uni, and many people asked me what I was studying Arabic for as it was not useful... that all changed quite drastically. Besides, learning a language is a reward in itself if you enjoy it, and can then go out and use it.

Edited by stephen tracy

it s not easy to be out of the matrix. after a few years, most people want to go back into the system to be controlled and manipulated. being a free man is not for everybody. having lot of time to think about yourself is only reserved for the best one who are already spiritually advanced, like the monks, philosophers,....

No country is perfect. Every country has flaws. You just need to compare Thailand with your home country. There are people who have it easier here than back home, there are also people who are never satisfied and feel like "they're not getting enough". Unfortunately it is the latter group who post the most comments, thus giving the false impression that the majority of expats are butthurt.

555 almost every farang immigrants here are whingers and moaners...they expect immigrants in their home country to integrate into the way their way of life and speak the language and if you don't, then you don't belong and no right to reside. Thailand and it's people don't give a damn if you speak your native language, and they certainly don't pressure you learning thai language if u reside here, if u speak a little thai they appreciate it. As far as I know Almost all expats that live here don't integrate themselves with their host and almost have no time to even getting to know their thai neighbours. My suggestion is u should have a good look at yourselves.. well there's the thing, you are not that special.. the quicker you loose that self entitlement attitude the better...

Mrs.Trans speaks 'Lao', they all do where I live, but she understands 'Thai' and can converse with anyone in BKK speaking their lingo. Her dad was a teacher though..She has no problem conversing with anyone in any part of LOS, except ME...laugh.png

. What's Nufin in Thai[emoji441]

555 almost every farang immigrants here are whingers and moaners...they expect immigrants in their home country to integrate into the way their way of life and speak the language and if you don't, then you don't belong and no right to reside. Thailand and it's people don't give a damn if you speak your native language, and they certainly don't pressure you learning thai language if u reside here, if u speak a little thai they appreciate it. As far as I know Almost all expats that live here don't integrate themselves with their host and almost have no time to even getting to know their thai neighbours. My suggestion is u should have a good look at yourselves.. well there's the thing, you are not that special.. the quicker you loose that self entitlement attitude the better...

The difference is, in the west Thais get permanent residence,welfare benefits etc and are hence expected to become a producer instead of a consumer of services as soon as possible. In here, no such thing, you bring your own cash or croak. As a paying customer using whatever language and whining about whatever you please is a bought privilege.

It's kiss my <deleted> baht. And they all do.

Edited by DrTuner

Answer : #1 Cheap booze # 2 bar girls to get laid #3 Bar girls they can hire as a girl friend or wife that can help the helpless foreigner that can not speak a word of Thai . # 4 They are criminals on the run and not able to return home due to likely a long jail term. I ask that same question every day. If you hate it here so much PLEASE LEAVE. The Thais likely do like you for numerous good reasons. Stop moaning and LEAVE !

The difference is, in the west Thais get permanent residence,welfare benefits etc and are hence expected to become a producer instead of a consumer of services as soon as possible. In here, no such thing, you bring your own cash or croak. As a paying customer using whatever language and whining about whatever you please is a bought privilege.

It's kiss my <deleted> baht. And they all do.

Looks like you are one of those people the OP wrote about.

Beautiful temples, commercial sex, nice climate, commercial sex,low cost of living, commercial sex,... I could continue, but probably you get the idea. Just a little more seriously, I have often asked myself the same question, and can't come up with a better answer.

here's my better answer laugh.png

free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services, free of income tax, no 20% VAT on goods and services,

Free of income tax? How do you manage that?

i am a retiree, no Thai domestic but only offshore income = no income tax. as simple as that.

applies to anybody except citizens of the "Greatest Nation on Earth™" and Eritrea; both countries demand taxes from their citizens no matter where they live.