Bangkok Immigration - A good story on TV for a change

I just got my 4 yearly extension in late September at the Bangkok Chaeng Watthana Division 1 Immigration office and had no problems. The office personnel have always been easy for me to work with, in the past I have always had my girlfriend go with me but this year I decided I should try to do it on my own. I drove my car there and got there before 8am and was home in my apartment in Lumpini shortly after 11:30am. I think if you are well prepared going in, there is no reason to worry. I also got my re-entry stamp on the visit so I am good to go for another year, except for the 90 reports which I did the last one online in about 10 minutes. Life is good. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

OP: You did not extend your visa. You extended your permission to stay. It may be important to recognize this distinction at some point in the future. People do get tripped up by using the wrong terminology at times.

OP: You did not extend your visa. You extended your permission to stay. It may be important to recognize this distinction at some point in the future. People do get tripped up by using the wrong terminology at times.

Thanks for the reply. I note that the same thing has been said to others many times on TV and I am not sure that I see any difference between extending your visa and extending your permission to stay.

One definition of a visa is "A certificate issued or a stamp marked (on the applicant's passport) by the immigration authorities of a country to indicate that the applicant's credentials have been verified and he or she has been granted permission to enter the country for a temporary stay within a specified period."

Surely if having a visa grants permission to stay for a specific period of time and the immigration authority allows you to extend that time then by definition that is an extension of your visa.

I suspect we may be splitting hairs here or am I missing something fundemntal?

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I note that the same thing has been said to others many times on TV and I am not sure that I see any difference between extending your visa and extending your permission to stay.

One definition of a visa is "A certificate issued or a stamp marked (on the applicant's passport) by the immigration authorities of a country to indicate that the applicant's credentials have been verified and he or she has been granted permission to enter the country for a temporary stay within a specified period."

Surely if having a visa grants permission to stay for a specific period of time and the immigration authority allows you to extend that time then by definition that is an extension of your visa.

Surely you are missing something. A visa lets you enter the country. The extension does not. If you leave during the extension time, you cannot reenter with it. You would have had to get a reentry permit before leaving. So, it's definitely not an extension to the visa.

Michael

• Like 1

Surely you are missing something. A visa lets you enter the country. The extension does not. If you leave during the extension time, you cannot reenter with it. You would have had to get a reentry permit before leaving. So, it's definitely not an extension to the visa.

Michael

Ok! Point taken. Cheers.

I think most of us understood What he was talking about.

I thought it was a good post.

I think a lot of us have good experiences with immigration,,

but the unhappy people always make the most noise and the most posts!

A good post how? The OP did not obtain his extension and did choose in his "war and peace" post to not disclose that. The useful info would of been to outline why he was refused to help others not make same mistake. For first time ever I agree with kitsune..a short story is a good story.especially with no plot

• Like 1

"They came up very quickly with an alternative solution which did not give me the extension I wanted but would allow me to stay in country when the visa expired and then continue with the retirement a couple of months later."

OP - I would be grateful if you could enlighten us all with details of this "alternative solution" since I have always been under the impression hitherto that the only course of action open to one once one's extension had expired was to start afresh with a new non-O visa from Vientiane or Penang (in the case of us retirees).

My experience from Immigration at Chaeng Watthana has always been positive. Extremely helpful and not at all " bureaucratic". Often then say " just sit down here and wait while I fix it" or like the OP case " when you come back don't take a queue number. Just come here and pick it up". Couldn't ask for more.

It appears he may have been granted a 60 day extension to visit spouse - although this normally requires the spouse be present it might account for the phone call. It would have been good to advise what paperwork was wrong/missing as am sure there are others of us who will make the same mistake and it might prevent some from doing so.

Visa is for entry and stay of a short period of time - extensions allow stay for a longer period to those already here. As mentioned you can not enter using an extension (re-entry permit required).

Yes I agree, dress in a reasonable way, be polite and try to make their job easier. Over the years, so often I have seen men in shorts and a beach shirt (including my own countrymen) and that's the first sign the immigration police take as a sign of disrespect. I don't just give my documents in a bundle but separate them with paper clips so that they can deal with each set as they see fit. It isn't much but it does give them the impression that I am trying to help. Since Udornthani set up its own immigration office some years ago I have never had any problems. Before that Nongkhai was not so easy but then being a border post and processing domestic affairs I guess that was to be expected.

• Like 2

Yes I agree, dress in a reasonable way, be polite and try to make their job easier. Over the years, so often I have seen men in shorts and a beach shirt (including my own countrymen) and that's the first sign the immigration police take as a sign of disrespect. I don't just give my documents in a bundle but separate them with paper clips so that they can deal with each set as they see fit. It isn't much but it does give them the impression that I am trying to help. Since Udornthani set up its own immigration office some years ago I have never had any problems. Before that Nongkhai was not so easy but then being a border post and processing domestic affairs I guess that was to be expected.

Agree wholeheartedly------- I hate wearing longs if anywhere in town but for immigration I make an exception.I am from Udon Thani and have been using the Udon office ever since it opened and has moved around Udon 3 times but now in a permanent position in the middle of town.I have nothing but admiration for the people in there.They have always treated me with respect and me with them.Have even had the odd joke with them at times. Any mistakes on the paperwork that I have made in the past has always been dealt with efficiently and friendly..I have just done my 9th extension and I suppose 36 "90 Dayers" and I take this opportunity------ If any one of them are reading this------ Just to saywai.gif thank you-----Dougal

the op got a non-o for which he was to dole out extra money right ??? i read recently many posts where the extender appplicantt was given the

non o instead of extension of stay straightforwardly, whats the reason ???

wbr

roobaa01

Can you provide links to these posts you have read recently?

Thanks

I suspect you must be thinking about extensions of stay from a tourist or visa exempt entry (where a non immigrant O visa entry is issued and then later extension is made). This is a one time thing to start retirement extensions of stay and has nothing to do with this posters reported new extension of stay. But it is a good example of why it is important to use the correct terms (visa or extension of stay) when posting here.

Nice post OP great to hear positive feed back for immigration but as you will see above there is always the Immigration bashers and the its an extension not a visa or visa versa preachers and let's not forget the fashion guru's but I liked your post thanks

Edited by Sutty

I think most of us understood What he was talking about.

I thought it was a good post.

I think a lot of us have good experiences with immigration,,

but the unhappy people always make the most noise and the most posts!

Have to look at it like the news. It can't be all bad, but everyday good news doesn't get attention and sell papers.

You make no sense at all and I think you need a permanent agent to handle it

Its basic stuff and not for all

It's not at all basic when there's something good said, but it is basic for somebody to rain and crap on it

So you didn't get what you want, but they charged you 1,900bht anyway, and you have to do it all again and pay 1,900bht again.

Some people are easily satisfied.

Now if they had said, money is wrong, but it's clearly a mistake so we'll let it go this time (which they can easily do), I would have been impressed.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

It appears he may have been granted a 60 day extension to visit spouse - although this normally requires the spouse be present it might account for the phone call. It would have been good to advise what paperwork was wrong/missing as am sure there are others of us who will make the same mistake and it might prevent some from doing so.

Visa is for entry and stay of a short period of time - extensions allow stay for a longer period to those already here. As mentioned you can not enter using an extension (re-entry permit required).

You are of course absolutely correct in that immigration told me to come back with my wife on a given date and they would issue me with a 60 day extension to visit spouse - A once only deal and something that I was unaware of beforehand. For that reason I was very grateful for the advice they gave and it could have quite easily been dismissed out of hand if I had ended up talking to the wrong person.

The mistake I made, for those that wish to know, occurred a couple of months ago when I allowed my 800K to drop a fraction below that for just a couple of days before it was topped up. My own stupid mistake and one not to be repeated. Lesson learned. When the 800K in the bank 3 month period is up I can then start the retirement visa process again.

I want to re-state that I originally made the post so that those who were not looking forward to their first trip to immigration might gain a bit of confidence in the fact that it is not as bad as we are sometimes led to believe. That was all.

Any comments of how dumb I must be etc will fall on deaf ears as I don't consider trying to be helpful to others a dumb thing to do.

Thanks.

I actually enjoyed reading your post, especially the detail about how you accepted personal responsibility for the "error/mistake/failure".

That something many expats should learn to do instead of desperately attempting to blame others for their self inflicted misfortunes.