Good experiences with bad stuff.

Thaijack2014

My Dad once told me "buy cheap, you'll buy twice", never a more true word was spoken.

I would almost say we are related, that is what my dad told me too.

Only problem in Thailand is that a higher price does not always mean better quality. Its easy in some cases as a good brand-name does usually indicate better quality but among the no name stuff higher price does not always mean better quality as prices vary a lot.

When it is something that i feel is important i take my time to research it a bit and with tools i never buy the no name crap. Still a shop has some responsibility when selling crap.

In the UK when a shop sells you something, it must be fit for purpose, otherwise you can demand a full refund,

and the shop cannot refer you to the manufacturer.

I'm not so sure about that. I bought some condoms there and when i told them that they all bend in the middle when being used they wouldn't replace them.

you sure the problem lies with the condom mate? whistling.gif

Reply to Post No 25

@ Possum1931

Yes OK, who is Global House? what I have said is true though, anyone from the UK want to back me up on this?

Yes! absolutely true!

My wife has seen me change three cordless mouse several months later,because they didnt perform properly! she couldnt believe it when the shop changed them instantly! with no quibbling,I can't mention the Major UK Store!

Next time your lawnmower is finished replace the grass with

Japanese grass, you will never need to mow, or like my family

did, buy a buffalo.

And then try to avoid stepping on the land mines when you walk around the lawn? No thanks.

I'll be sure to quote you next time I'm in Global House.

Yes OK, who is Global House? what I have said is true though, anyone from the UK want to back me up on this?

Correct, the "contract" is between you (the purchaser) and the seller (the retailer) therefore under the "sale of goods act" it is the retailers responsibility, if the manufacturer needs to be contacted then the retailer needs to do it, as his contract is with them for supplying it. Not the Customer.

This in Thailand is a cop out, by saying go to the manufacturer, you didnt buy the product from the manufacturer, you bought it off "retail store".

My Dad once told me "buy cheap, you'll buy twice", never a more true word was spoken.

The saddest part is that low income Thais are often victimized the most because they can't afford to buy higher quality stuff.

I agree but it's also a bit of experience, being patriotic...

Many times i looked in shops for second hand quality brandname tools and they cost more then new in Homepro! I mean, who would buy that?

It takes time to find good addresses to buy from but even i can do it and i barely speak thai.

For cheap tools buy Maktec. And if it's too cheap then sure it can't be good. But that's what thai like, they never think further then tomorrow. And if they can borrow it from a neighbour they will and save the money to buy extra spoilers or crap on their car, something to show.

My wife has a boss who bought much land but can't afford a lawnmower so he always borrows it from her collegue, always. The colleage doesn't dare to refuse it because he's her boss. What man would do that in farangistan?

Also i see many thai family's around me who use gardeners, pruning a tree costs 700 baht and has to be done twice a year. They have several sons of 14-20 years old but they never do anything. My dad would rather pay me that 700 a tree (they have many tree's) then a gardener but Thai kids are too good for that.

So i don't feel sorry for the poor thai. Also many around me want to live in a hi-so moobaan but are too lazy to cut the grass at all, looks like a jungle. Then go live in a cheap moobaan is what i would think.

They even can't lubricate the wheels of their fences who made terrible noises. If the fence is too hard to open then they just don't open it and park on the street instead of the driveway....easy.

I'm tired of my electric mower, I bought it to be considerate of my neighbors, then they all got roosters so I guess noise isn't an issue, the electric one is 95 db anyway.

What's a good gas mower that I can actually find in Thailand?

Best I've seen is a no-name 6.5hp at Homepro for 13k. Global Home has the same model for 16k but no better choices. I've never seen a Honda, Briggs, Toro, Ryobi, Airens, Lawn Boy or anything I recognize here.

I've got 200 talang of yard and I love it. I don't mind taking care of it either. I get some exercise and some sun and it gets me out of the house.

I'll enjoy it even more when half of it's filled with trees, a gazebo, koi pond and pool.

I've had the Asgate 6.0 HP, 4 stroke (Chinese made), mower for two years now. It's about the cheapest on the market, but seems OK. I think it costs about 7,500 - 10,000 Baht. A name brand will cost twice as much. The chassis is heavy, but robust. It is wider than standard so you can cut more grass/weeds. The choke level is on the handle and it always starts first or second pull. I run mine at about 50% power and it cuts fine. I sometimes use it is preference to the weed trimmer if the ground is not too bumpy. The engine has about 100 hours on it and still runs fine. The wheel bearing are the first thing to go after about 75 hours. I got some similar sized bearings at the local machine shop and they seem fine. I had to file the axle a little bit to get them on.

On a related matter, I have a Honda Cub scooter. Bought it at the local shop where they offered free servicing (labour) for the life of the bike. I love it that I can take it in for a chain adjustment and have it done in 5 minutes for free. The headlight blew the other week and it cost 65 Baht for the replacement (fitted, together with a chain/brake adjustment) and it was done in 15 minutes.

Often when you pay with cash you become irrelevant the moment the cash leaves your hand, pay with a credit card and you can usually dispute 30-45 days later...it helps when the store will not refund or replace defective items....I always use a card for expensive items...peace of mind and reward miles.

Purchased a companion for the night...she looked young and naive in the dimly lighted establishment...turns out she was a pro and worn out...I asked if she could not help me out here to get things started...she replied that her model did not come with starter help...so I thought about choking her to see if that would help...but decided to take her back and see if I could trade her in for a newer model...no refunds...

But I am happy to say this is not the norm...many more wonderful experiences than bad...it was my fault for purchasing a model without a starter and you could not choke...to get started...smile.png

I would almost say we are related, that is what my dad told me too.

Only problem in Thailand is that a higher price does not always mean better quality. Its easy in some cases as a good brand-name does usually indicate better quality but among the no name stuff higher price does not always mean better quality as prices vary a lot.

When it is something that i feel is important i take my time to research it a bit and with tools i never buy the no name crap. Still a shop has some responsibility when selling crap.

In the UK when a shop sells you something, it must be fit for purpose, otherwise you can demand a full refund,

and the shop cannot refer you to the manufacturer.

I'll be sure to quote you next time I'm in Global House.

I'll back you up on that.

Most warranties are for 1 year. The retailer is responsible for the first 6 months. After that, they can refer you to the manufacturer.

Been out of the retail game for a couple of years, but would be surprised if that's changed.

I prefer living here compared to the UK, but somethings I do miss. Like proper warranties.

I'm tired of my electric mower, I bought it to be considerate of my neighbors, then they all got roosters so I guess noise isn't an issue, the electric one is 95 db anyway.

What's a good gas mower that I can actually find in Thailand?

Best I've seen is a no-name 6.5hp at Homepro for 13k. Global Home has the same model for 16k but no better choices. I've never seen a Honda, Briggs, Toro, Ryobi, Airens, Lawn Boy or anything I recognize here.

I've got 200 talang of yard and I love it. I don't mind taking care of it either. I get some exercise and some sun and it gets me out of the house.

I'll enjoy it even more when half of it's filled with trees, a gazebo, koi pond and pool.

Check out Bahn and Beyond at Airport Plaza, I bought a Briggs and Stratton there a year ago and it's excellent, 15K.

Why on earth would anyone other than a masochist want to grow a lawn Thailand? It's about as easy as getting hairs to sprout on a billiard ball - and about as pointless, I reckon.

Waving goodbye to this boring chore was one of the perks of moving to Thailand, where most sane expats settle for a tiled or concreted patio, graced by a few tubs of green stuff which are a breeze to maintain.

I'm guessing ThaiJack is from the UK, where spending the summer coaxing a recalcitrant mower into life and sweating your guts out over a patch of boring greensward outside your house is almost as much of a national perversion is wasting Sunday mornings cleaning The Car.

I am reminded of a former Surrey neighbour of mine who would wheel his beloved mothballed mower out of the garage almost as soon as the winter snows had retreated. My lawn-loathing mates and I used to call him the first cuckoo of Spring (though only behind his perspiring, aching back, of course).

I never dreamed he would have soulmates in the LOS.

Why on earth would anyone other than a masochist want to grow a lawn Thailand?

Not everyone has come from a cold miserable place...some of us are actually from the tropics originally and quite like lawns and gardens.

You like the concrete...I like grass under my bare feet.

Me tooooo. Specially beautiful Malay grass like this.

post-207577-0-99608400-1445209181_thumb.

Just think ... how many beers could you drink after mowing this lawn smile.png

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". Never a truer saying. Did your mower have a bar near the top of the push bar that needs to be held in while starting?

Yes, the Astec (Chinese brand) is like that. Yo must remember to pull it in when starting it. It is a pain to hold it in all the time and means that you have no throttle control. You must adjust the throttle cable length for the throttle you want. 50% is fine for the 6 HP model and means it runs relatively quietly and mechanically stress free. Just sharpen the blades every five hours or so.

What was the brandname? Where was it made?

The two electrical lawnmowers which couldn't handle my half rai were a Black & Decker. The one I could so kindly swap (pay up for a bigger, stronger model) was a Asgatec. Probably made in China? It has a one year warranty.

But as some people mentioned: don't buy the cheap stuff.... but what if it is only the smallest machine you want and therefore "cheap"...? Now this strong and more expensive model works fine on big pieces of land, but is not easy in handling if there are corners.....

Anyway.... I'm still happy with the kind service in Homepro and that's what this story was about....

The two electrical lawnmowers which couldn't handle my half rai were a Black & Decker. The one I could so kindly swap (pay up for a bigger, stronger model) was a Asgatec. Probably made in China? It has a one year warranty.

But as some people mentioned: don't buy the cheap stuff.... but what if it is only the smallest machine you want and therefore "cheap"...? Now this strong and more expensive model works fine on big pieces of land, but is not easy in handling if there are corners.....

Anyway.... I'm still happy with the kind service in Homepro and that's what this story was about....

I bought a Black and Decker cordless screwdriver one day in Homepro, within a year the battery was totally dead but i didn't have the receipt anymore.

This is not a very bad brand though, also not very good but i expected it to last longer.

In Homepro they always try to speak to me but when they find out i can't speak thai they go running around to find the manager who speaks english. That ain't bad but they also do it when i'm just looking around, then it gets annoying.

When i go see their furniture department they follow me like a dog and can't speak a word english. Like i would steal a sofa or kingsize bed or so.

But i always buy the good brands i mentioned before and throw away the receipts because i know they will work properly.

One day in Homepro i wanted to spend around 250.000 baht (just moved into a new house) which i brought cash, i asked for discount which they wouldn't give me. Well then i left and bought all stuff elsewhere. whistling.gif

I bought a Black and Decker cordless screwdriver one day in Homepro, within a year the battery was totally dead but i didn't have the receipt anymore.

This is not a very bad brand though, also not very good but i expected it to last longer.

In Homepro they always try to speak to me but when they find out i can't speak thai they go running around to find the manager who speaks english. That ain't bad but they also do it when i'm just looking around, then it gets annoying.

When i go see their furniture department they follow me like a dog and can't speak a word english. Like i would steal a sofa or kingsize bed or so.

But i always buy the good brands i mentioned before and throw away the receipts because i know they will work properly.

One day in Homepro i wanted to spend around 250.000 baht (just moved into a new house) which i brought cash, i asked for discount which they wouldn't give me. Well then i left and bought all stuff elsewhere. whistling.gif

This post pretty much mirrors our experience with HomePro, note, get a HomePro members card and refunds without a receipt become easier. I spent 70k on insulation and installation there earlier this year, the installation was so poor that I dragged them to my home to inspect it and a complete refund was offered and received, that surprised me (although my threat of a boycott may have helped)..

Why on earth would anyone other than a masochist want to grow a lawn Thailand? It's about as easy as getting hairs to sprout on a billiard ball - and about as pointless, I reckon.

Waving goodbye to this boring chore was one of the perks of moving to Thailand, where most sane expats settle for a tiled or concreted patio, graced by a few tubs of green stuff which are a breeze to maintain.

I'm guessing ThaiJack is from the UK, where spending the summer coaxing a recalcitrant mower into life and sweating your guts out over a patch of boring greensward outside your house is almost as much of a national perversion is wasting Sunday mornings cleaning The Car.

I am reminded of a former Surrey neighbour of mine who would wheel his beloved mothballed mower out of the garage almost as soon as the winter snows had retreated. My lawn-loathing mates and I used to call him the first cuckoo of Spring (though only behind his perspiring, aching back, of course).

Not everyone has come from a cold miserable place...some of us are actually from the tropics originally and quite like lawns and gardens.

I'm from the tropics as well and grass is wonderful.

Me tooooo. Specially beautiful Malay grass like this.

attachicon.gifIMG_4869.JPG

Just think ... how many beers could you drink after mowing this lawn smile.png

They cant manage the water theyve got here, grass needs a hell of a lot, surprised govt hasnt banned grass especially Malay grass as its foreign grass.........looks good though

The problem arise when whatever you want to use might only be used 1-2 times a year which is when you dont want to shell out a lot for this very occasional use.

I brought stuff from the Uk not available in Thailand, Honda Blower and Honda hedge cutter, both unavailable here, great little things although cutter is heavy.

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". Never a truer saying. Did your mower have a bar near the top of the push bar that needs to be held in while starting?

Well, the lawnmower I purchased was defective. I have this upgrade now, a Asgatec 6.0 HP GM6000. THIS machine runs after the first pull!!!!!

The machine is heavier then I intended, but I'm getting the hang of it. The wheel level is also adjustable and after mowing for about an hour this morning, I was pleased with the result. Everytime I had to stop for one or another reason, the mower started instantly.

I'm not going to say that you shouldn't buy the cheap stuff. Cheap or not cheap, a machine has to do what it is made for. Like I said before, the reason why I looked for smaller lawnmowers, was not so much the price, as the size of the machine. Now I just do some more cutting with a trimmer, before I start cutting the grass. And by grass I meant to say: the kind of sturdy weed that grows by itself.... it covers the ground and keeps the mud from moving. But it has to be cut, as it can grow 10 cm in one or two days, especially after rain....

It is a good exercise.... I walk with my headphone and listen to some audio tapes and this morning even practised Thai with my Pimsleur language course!

By the way, I also talked to another guy who has the same lawnmower (GM6000) for eight years with no problems. He has about 2 Rai to cut!

Difficult to believe the logic of this thread. People spending their hard-earned on machinery which may or may not break down - thousands of baht - when you can hire a local Thai handyman to do it for 100-200 baht.

Here's a helpful hint for you guys fixated on the feel and look of grass. Drive to your nearest golf course at 5 pm. Walk to the first tee. Take off your shoes and socks, and walk to the first green. Repeat as often as desired.