Royal Enfields

jpb1963

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dinga, does Stallions offer a legal sidecar? What Stallions model do you compare to the 500cc RE Classic?

No, no legal sidecar for sure.

Stallion just launched a 400cc single cylinder bike not long time ago.

Looks nice on the photos but haven't seen one for real.

The 150cc I seen looks pretty "cheap" when looking close up.

If I was on the market for a large single cyl bike I would choose in the following order:

1: Royal Enfileld, a classic, beautiful bike man.

2: SR400, BUT, too expensive, only kick start. I owned a SR500 many moons ago, loved it, but loosing 100cc is such a shame really.

3: Stallion 400: Cheap I think, but how is the quality??

Of the 3: I would rather spend the extra money on the Royal Enfield and get a real 100% classic bike, pretty sure I would regret it later on if I bought the Stallion 400cc, but that's me, others might look at it differently.

Dinga, does Stallions offer a legal sidecar? What Stallions model do you compare to the 500cc RE Classic?

If I was on the market for a large single cyl bike I would choose in the following order:

2: SR400, BUT, too expensive, only kick start. I owned a SR500 many moons ago, loved it, but loosing 100cc is such a shame really.

Of the 3: I would rather spend the extra money on the Royal Enfield and get a real 100% classic bike, pretty sure I would regret it later on if I bought the Stallion 400cc, but that's me, others might look at it differently.

Really like the RE but expensive at the price for just a fun bike. Valid reservations about the Stallion 400cc but I am looking forward to a test ride.

Fail to understand the logic of how the authorities can rule the RE sidecar as verboten when tens of thousands of bikes are trundling around the roads with those gerry-built versions.......

Really like the RE but expensive at the price for just a fun bike. Valid reservations about the Stallion 400cc but I am looking forward to a test ride.

Fail to understand the logic of how the authorities can rule the RE sidecar as verboten when tens of thousands of bikes are trundling around the roads with those gerry-built versions.......

Logic and the upholding of laws are not exactly a strong point here, are they.

On sidecars; as far as I know they either need a homologation or need to be accepted by the DLT.

The only sidecar combination I know that had a Thai homologation was Tiger, unfortunately Tiger seems bankrupt.

One alternative that seems to be able to get plated is an Ural with sidecar but they are close to 1 million baht.

I know that Royal Enfield Thailand is considering to do something with sidecars but I guess they have their hands full for the whole year 2016.

On sidecars; as far as I know they either need a homologation or need to be accepted by the DLT.

The only sidecar combination I know that had a Thai homologation was Tiger, unfortunately Tiger seems bankrupt.

One alternative that seems to be able to get plated is an Ural with sidecar but they are close to 1 million baht.

I know that Royal Enfield Thailand is considering to do something with sidecars but I guess they have their hands full for the whole year 2016.

Why do you want a bike w/sidecar in the first place?

You suddenly turn a nippy bike into something just as wide as a small car and you loose much of the motor bike fell that most of us here on the forum loves on bikes.

I owned the Tiger/w sidecar and it was easily the worst piece of shit bike I ever owned, the front drum brake was basically useless and 2 times I had to get mechanics to my house and fix it.

Okay the Tiger was a bit fun when riding alone and getting the sidecar up in the air in right side bends/corners but loaded with a passenger in the sidecar up it was outright dangerous, I am still shocked it was approved for sidecar in the first place.

Get a tuk-tuk, they are way more nippy than a bike with sidecarwink.png

Dinga raised the issue of sidecar legality, if such a side car is a desirable feature is another discussion.

In India there are two brands of sidecars producing near similar designs and even model names.
Their classic design adds to the image of RE but indeed technology of these sidecars dates back to the late 1950's.

While RE has done much further on product development, Kosy and Inder sidecars are still pretty much 1950's as far as safety and workmanship are concerned.

Had to google "Wallace & Grommet" as I am Dutch, but I think you are right tongue.png

As it stands the showroom in Thonglor will open in January for the public. Plan is to do a grand opening mid February.

First customer deliveries seem to be delayed because of the Chennai floods, now first customer bikes (including mine) are scheduled for delivery early March.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice Mickey, the GT is a great looking bike, did you order a red one? I am in Chiang Rai and you?
I was an early adapter so my Classic will arrive mid March (I hope, RE India is notorious for delivery delays.....)

Will post my experiences here with the Classic thehelmsman.

The new Himalayan will not be exported, at least until end of 2016, the domestic market will be serviced first.

In India they will offer the Himalayan in a carburetor version which will not pass the emission requirements in Thailand!

Nice Mickey, the GT is a great looking bike, did you order a red one? I am in Chiang Rai and you?

I was an early adapter so my Classic will arrive mid March (I hope, RE India is notorious for delivery delays.....)

Will post my experiences here with the Classic thehelmsman.

The new Himalayan will not be exported, at least until end of 2016, the domestic market will be serviced first.

In India they will offer the Himalayan in a carburetor version which will not pass the emission requirements in Thailand!

Thanks, I've seen the Classic price at 210,000bht on the internet. Does that sound right?

Wonder if there will be a dealer in Pattaya.

It's taken years to get the first one in Thailand (BKK) so I wouldn't hold your breath (unfortunately)

It all depends how aggressive/eager/how much money, R.E. are (willing too spend).

Triumph are apparently not very eager, sadly, don't know why, I am pretty sure they could sell lots and lots of bike here in Pattaya to both expats & Thais.

R.E. are sort of hinting that more dealers might come later on:

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/royal-enfield-enters-thailand-will-launch-exclusive-store-in-bangkok-1250107

Edited by guzzi850m2

The whole point of Royal Enfield bikes is that they are cheap to buy and easy to fix. In India the 350 costs a little over 50,000B which make them great value and they can be fixed by every street corner mechanic who has a screwdriver and a tub of grease.

Why would you want to empty your wallet and spend a lifetime waiting for parts just to get and keep one? Why not book a couple of weeks in the Indian Himalayas and get the bike and it's home turf in one shot?

Well maybe I can answer my own question, possibly the lack of something different and authentic here in LOS. I wouldn't want to live in India, but I do envy the bike scene there...from what I have seen and read. Whether this could be replicated here, I really don't think so......but keep us informed as to your progress, it is a noble cause.

Why people want a 1950's technology ride when you can have a modern one with good handling, excellent brakes, outstanding reliability. Sure you can fix a RE on any Indian street corner, just like an oxcart and a scythe.

What specifically do you suggest?

Handling and ABS are only important if you want to race, but there other things in life for some of us and I have yet to find a decently priced bike here in Thailand, that isn't cramped. Perhaps that is why guys ride sports bikes so fast, so they can hurry up and get off the damn things...

An oxcart sounds quite comfortable when compared with most Jap bikes on the market here and with all the current failures and recalls, more reliable too.

If you travel anywhere outside your own backyard it's nice to know someone can fix things when they go wrong and that you don't have to fly spare parts in from Germany, or Japan along with a mechanic and all his tools, to bolt them on.

As for the scythe, well you've got me there, what's that for, a haircut perhaps?

And then the X factor... how it makes you feel and if you don't understand that, well I can't explain it to you, if you really like rice that much. Personally I prefer potatoes.

Why people want a 1950's technology ride when you can have a modern one with good handling, excellent brakes, outstanding reliability. Sure you can fix a RE on any Indian street corner, just like an oxcart and a scythe.

papa will remember that the next time his scythe needs fixing.

papa will remember that the next time his scythe needs fixing.
Let me know when you go, as I need some axle grease :D

What specifically do you suggest?

Handling and ABS are only important if you want to race, but there other things in life for some of us and I have yet to find a decently priced bike here in Thailand, that isn't cramped.

When shopping for my last new bike, I rented lots of them. Did the MHS loop as a proving ground as it is close by. On the Versys the ABS saved me from a crash, And no - I was not racing. It, along with the 500X, CB650F were all good bikes for 2 up. Not cramped at all. Good handling is also a life saver, this coming from a guy who has much seat time on H1 and H2 Kawasakis. And parts are readily available for all these bikes in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia - the list goes on. Of course, you can not buy them for 50,000 baht. At that price point you are just going beyond a bike with pedals, which are also easy to fix. Your standards are obviously much different than mine. I gave up 1950's bikes in the 60's, and them in the 70's, ...

Well my brother in law back in EU, his bi-cycle cost way more than 50.000 bahtbiggrin.png

The Royal Enfields sold here in Thailand will be FI models, not something you can fix with a screw driver if it goes tits up.

Agree on ABS, saved my ass a couple of times too both at high/low speed scenarios but some old dudes just don't get it manwink.png

Before I comment further on the R.E. I would like to see one in the flesh and read more about owners comments, I am trying to remember which forum I read about one that was not impressed at all, unless you love bikes from the 60's.

My V Mk3 is not cramped at all & very good handling, as also canthai55 concluded, so that makes at least 2 of us that likes them, a budget do it all bikethumbsup.gif

Okay back to the retro cool looking Royal Enfields.