Let's break up,' Thai lottery winner texts wife, who sues

Jonathan Fairfield

Let's break up,' Thai lottery winner texts wife, who sues

NATTASUDA ANUSONADISAI

BANGKOK (AP) — A Thai woman is suing the father of her son for child support after he said he wanted to break up with her in a text message a few weeks after winning nearly 1 million dollars in a lottery.

Saowanee Thongwiset is seeking 10 million baht ($286,000) to raise their 8-month-old son and educate him, her lawyer, Theerapon Pochanukul, told The Associated Press Friday. The amount is one-third of the 30 million baht ($857,000) that her common law husband, a clothing store security guard in northeastern Thailand, won as the first prize in a lottery on Sept. 16.

The couple, who were living together at the time, cashed the winnings together at a local bank and deposited the money in the man's account, Theerapon said. A few days later the husband, Thammarong Keawsuanjik, transferred 700,000 baht ($20,000) into the accounts of the wife and their son, which is being maintained by the mother.

Then on Monday, the 28-year-old woman received a text message from Thammarong saying, "Let's break up," said Theerapon. Her husband bought land with the money and is now building a house, the lawyer said.

Besides seeking a share of the winnings, Saowanee has also gone to the Juvenile and Family Court to make the man register their baby as his lawful son.

"Saowanee believes that if he is honest and wants to keep the family he would have taken her to see the land that he bought and talk to her about it," said Theerapon. She will continue with the lawsuit unless they can come to an agreement during a pre-trial hearing on Nov. 30, he said.

Thammarong and his lawyer could not be immediately reached for comment.

But he told the Thai language Matichon newspaper that now that she's gone to court, he might counter-sue her for custody of the baby.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-17

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suspect it will depend on how close to 10 million the "administrative fees" he has to pay for a favourable ruling are.

I hope she gets the money, or at least some of it. Really should be 50%!

Edited by JAG

I don't know the law here but in England 'common law wifes' are not entitled to anything on a break up.

Unless they have a baby together,

In which case she gets the house, and 15% of his salary for the next 19 years.

Reminds me of an old joke where the Husband comes home and says to his wife " We have just won 10 million pounds on the lottery, pack your bags"

"Oh wonderful" she screams, "where are we going?"

"I don't care, just pack your bags and sod off"

Sorry, leaving now....facepalm.gif

They are NOT married. Not husband and wife, but just boyfriend/girlfriend.(Age irrelevant)

A large proportion of folk in Isaan go through the ritual of having a "wedding day", handing over the dowry in the "wedding" ceremony, but do not register the marriage. THEY ARE NOT MARRIED.

In this case, the man is responsible for the child (if it is his), but not much else.

Had they been legally married, then under Thai law, the wife would have been legally entitled to 50% of the money plus 50% of anything gained during the marriage.

Looks like Thammarong will walk away with most of the spoils

This story about the lotto win has been running a few days now , I was just waiting for something like this to happen, typical , he thinks he'll leave his responsibilities and run with the money,

I will follow this story if they print the conclusion smile.pngtongue.pngwink.png

Hell hath no fury like a scorned, woman divorced by SMS while entitled to a big share of lotto winnings,

Word to the wise, this guy should be careful that he will not turn from a happy, live winner to a dead one,

people were done over for far less that that....

Edited by ezzra

"I don't know the law here but in England 'common law wifes' are not entitled to anything on a break up. "

In Australia you live together for 12 months and it is regarded as a de facto relationship and she can take you to court, just like a wife

Another upstanding Thai man

Lol

no mate id not have a thai man in the house ( i like to keep what i own ) i do know ive now have come to understand why thai men do not want the thai tarts ))) - hell if he won 35,000 baht took it home said nothing and she found out ---she is liable to kill you for it

thais )))))) look woman don't deserve much!!!!! because put 90% to the test - go to an atm machine with an empty card stick it in try make a withdrawel - you knowing no dollars in it - watch the look of horror on her face))))

il wager $500 that 7 to 8 from 10 thai woman toss up the hands toss the hubby and take off down the street screaming to budda ''my atm him no good '' no work ((((( me to find another))))) lol lol lol

Sound silly!!!!! -- id like $80 for every time ive seen that situation in thailand since 2003 , id not have to work for the next 3 months ay!

ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WHERE THEY'D SELL EACH OTHER UP THE RIVER!!!! FOR $25 __( AND YOU MISTER WESTERNER IS NOT EXEMPT !!

1 million dollar ? If I were him I would move out and stay low for a while, lots of relatives are waiting for their share. And people end up dead for less than 1000 baht in this country.

Edited by balo

1 million dollar ? If I were him I would move out and stay low for a while, lots of relatives are waiting for their share. And people end up dead for less than 1000 baht in this country.

35-36 million baht thesedays, and he gives the wife and kid 700k and expects her to disappear lol

The simplicity of marriage in Thailand, when luck strucks the buck and not the bride!

Depends on your definition of marriage. She seems to be making the claim based on child support, not on cohabiting or common law marriage with the child's father.

The principle of a common law or de facto marriage is NOT recognized under Thai law. Marriage under the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code shall be effected only on registration being made.

Besides seeking a share of the winnings, Saowanee has also gone to the Juvenile and Family Court to make the man register their baby as his lawful son.

a. (Unless che can prove to be the one who purchased the winning ticket) as she is not his legal wife, she will get nothing.

b. According to thai law she will get NOTHING from him, he can't be forced to register himself as a father of the child, game over.