Cambodia arrests British teacher over alleged pedophile activities

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, Oct. 17 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia's Immigration Police raided a rented house in Phnom Penh's Sen Sok district on Saturday and arrested a British national for allegedly having sex with a minor, local media reported.

Police said they identified the suspect as 35 year-old Prestidge Paul Edward George, who is employed as an English teacher at a private school near his house.

"The arrest came after the British Embassy in Phnom Penh asked Cambodian authorities to keep an eye on him after he had sex with children in Britain in 2010," Major General Uk Heisela, chief investigator at the Ministry of Interior's Immigration Department, was quoted by Khmer Times online as saying.

"In the past, the British court sentenced him to three years in jail, (however) the court decided to suspend his sentence after he deposited a lot of money with the court. At that time, the court also did not allow him to leave the country," he said.

Apparently, however, the suspect fled to Spain, where he stayed for five years before flying to Cambodia. He is believed to have resided in the kingdom for about a year prior to the arrest.

"Now the officers have transferred him to the Immigration Department for questioning over these issues," added Heisela

source: http://www.globalpost.com/article/6670505/2015/10/17/cambodia-arrests-british-teacher-over-alleged-pedophile-activities

3 years in jail for a paedo? and sentence suspended?! are you serious?

this is how left-liberal justice works!

common sense tells that the best way to protect kids from this predator is castrate him. Pedophilia can't be cured. All psychiatrist agree on that.

The Brit. Embassy asked the Camb. authorities to keep an eye on him after he had sex with children in 2010. He got away with it after paying the court a large some of money. Is this for real or am I missing something ?

This is appallingly bad "journalism" by the Xinhua News Agency, the official press agency of the People's Republic of China.

There is nothing in British Jurisprudence which would permit the exchange of a "large sum of money" for freedom.

This perv now needs convicting in Cambodia and locked out of harms way in a Cambodian prison.

The Brit. Embassy asked the Camb. authorities to keep an eye on him after he had sex with children in 2010. He got away with it after paying the court a large some of money. Is this for real or am I missing something ?

They probably meant he posted a large amount of money for " bail " then skipped off to Spain.

Unless I'm missing something shown in the OP I fail to see why this incident is being shown as newsworthy here in LOS. Maybe Thai Immigration records show he transitted through Swampy en route to Cambodia, or came here on a 7 day holiday?

because the site is trying to attract expat community of the whole South-East Asia. I am sure soon there will be news about pick pocketing in Ho Chi Minh city

Pedophiles should be named and shamed, this seems as good a place as any.

Unless I'm missing something shown in the OP I fail to see why this incident is being shown as newsworthy here in LOS. Maybe Thai Immigration records show he transitted through Swampy en route to Cambodia, or came here on a 7 day holiday?

This is the CAMBODIA forum.

TV now has separate forums for Cambodia and Myanmar.

And within each there are sub-forums for news. Obviously this item is newsworthy for Cambodia.

there seems to be a lot of paedophile teachers around this particular one was apparently stopped by the british authorities from leaving the country but managed to flee to spain and he is not the only one who has managed to flee the uk these type of people are dangerous and should be controlled tagged restricted to their country of origin ,

What poor reporting. His conviction was as follows:

He was convicted of two charges of possessing indecent photos of as child, one charge of making an indecent picture of a child, two charges of taking indecent pictures of children, two charges of taking indecent pictures of a child and one charge of voyeurism. He was found not guilty of one charge of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and one of sexual activity with a child.

He received a 3 year suspended sentence.

He then informed British authorities that he planned to go on holiday to Spain with his parents and brother. He didn't return.

No 'large amount of money' was paid and he was not banned from leaving the UK and was put on the Sex Offenders register which requires notification to exit UK.

Sensationalising and lying about his past is quite unnecessary. If he has been involved in child abuse in Cambodia, prosecute him for that and use proper evidence, not a stream of untruths and inaccuracies.

He may well be a scumbag, in which case don't prejudice the case with wildly inaccurate evidence as that could give him his freedom.