Loy Kratong

stament

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people miss the fact that it is a celebration of a specific holiday. There is more than just food there. It is more than a buffet. It is amazing how the Cheap Charlie's can over look that point.

It certainly is just that; a celebration of a holiday... A Thai holiday. To me, that means being in the middle of the traditional and typical way the Thais celebrate THEIR holiday. Rather than hiding away in the middle of a cloistered expat enclave, they rub shoulders and bump hips with each other, crowding around the river banks TOGETHER, multiplying the energy of the specific THAI holiday.

It's true that not ALL Thais like the hustle and bustle of holidays and prefer a quieter way to celebrate, just as many stay home during Songkran. They can join the expats who have found a way to isolate themselves from the aspects of the holiday that they don't enjoy.

I agree with FG on this one. Foreigners often forget or are not even aware that many celebrations of Thai holidays inside the city are, in my opinion, influenced now days too much by foreigners.

Try going outside the city for Loy Kratong and I have never found the "pushing and shoving". Rather, I have found nothing but people being nice and trying to help foreigners celebrate "the Thai way".

Bangkok is a world in itself. Chiang Mai is not the same as Bangkok. Outside Chiang Mai is not the same as in Chiang Mai.

Correct; we always go over to the wife's old village and it's all very friendly and comfortable with ample food on offer whilst it's all going on. We would never attempt to join the mobs in town.

So much for adapting and becoming accustomed to local customs and traditions.

The madness along the river that NancyL referred to has very little to do with local customs or tradition, especially the bit where young kids light fireworks in their hand and throw them about. I haven't been there, but I would imagine the fun and festivities at River Market would be much more like it was 25 years ago, than the chaos and lack of respect that surrounds it on the bridges and the area in-between..

There are still plenty of other activities and parades that make it a fun and interesting event, but some of it has got way out of hand. As some posters have already suggested, the small villages out of town would be a lot more authentic but failing that, I see nothing wrong with enjoying it from the safety of The River Market, which is probably one of the best spots to see it from . I'm sure plenty of Thais will also be there and I'm also sure the food and entertainment will be good. As regards to the price, that's subjective and I'm sure Dave, the owner, has a better idea of costs and value than any of us here. Ultimately, if it is too expensive nobody will come and if he got it right he will be full. I might not want to pay that much, but I can see why some will.

Some people here asked about other activities - an interesting event is held during the daytime at the government building near the US consul, where teams from different parts of the country compete in a hot-air balloon contest. As the balloons ascend small styrofoam planes are released along with coloured smoke. There are also demonstrations on making small krathongs and prizes for the best. Lots of schoolkids were taking part.

post-181944-0-47304700-1445409190_thumb.

post-181944-0-88600800-1445408556_thumb.

post-181944-0-91182000-1445408576_thumb.

post-181944-0-89340000-1445408598_thumb.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

As Chiengmaijoe notes, the events at the Municipal Office are worth watching. Unfortunately, I can't see anything written on the Loy Krathong schedule issued by the City which spells out any balloon launching. The only daytime activities (appears to include the making of Krathongs - the same activity which occurred at the time of the balloon launchings last year) listed on the schedule at the Municipal Office occur between 9AM and noon on the 25th of November. So maybe that's when it will happen again.

As to the fireworks "war" on Nawarat Bridge, that ended at least 3 years ago (the last two years there's been none of that as the cops clamped down on it). In years past, though, you'd be lucky to go out there without getting almost hit by a rocket or firecracker.

post-26519-0-37266600-1445416364_thumb.j

post-26519-0-03468000-1445416379_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

indeed it is a celebration but lets be honest all these events whilst good offer a fantastic opportunity for businesses to hike prices for obvious reasons they are in business to maximise profits.

im not a cheap charkie but do find sone of these event type meals do mean significantly increased costs. it a bit like weddings as soon as you mention weddings prices go up whether it be a photographer, etc

its an opportunity to make increased profits. personally i prefer to avoid the crowds but hey thats me.

I prefer the crowds. The river Market affair will help you avoid them.

It is just like most people. When they were working they took every opportunity to make the most money they could so why should some one else be different. Beside how much more are they going to make. I know they spent 50,000 baht for the fire works on the fourth of July no idea what they are going to be spending this year. But I do know if it was just food you would be right. I take into account the fact that it is not the cheapest supplies they can buy they go for quality ingredient not the cheapest.

As I said I like the crowd and the spirit in it. My wife doesn't like the noise. I will probably head over to the Narrowt bridge for the activities there. Not sure if the wife will follow e or go to her mothers.

I feel sorry for those who ignore the spirit of the thing and just think of the price.

I really feel sorry for you if you think that the spirit of Loi Krathong i s dining at expensive restaurant watching fire works or being at the narrow bridge following the "activity". It is a completely different thing for most of the others, fortunately....

Can someone clarify whetehr you are allowed to release fire lanterns this year? and is tomorrow night the 'big' night at Tha Pae Gate..ie parade etc

Opening ceremony is tonight (Tuesday) starting about 6PM...with some speeches, etc., at the stage at Thaphae Gate. Then there's a small parade from there to Pantip Plaza.

The big parade is Thursday night, starting about 7PM at Thaphae Gate and heading to the city (municipal) offices just north of the American consulate.

The balloon deal and the krathong-making contest is supposedly tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at the municipal offices.

As to when is it legal to release the lanterns....it's only part of one day and one night....but I'm not sure which day (but I'll bet 5 baht I see at least some lanterns flying all three nights).

re

Opening ceremony is tonight (Tuesday) starting about 6PM...with some speeches, etc., at the stage at Thaphae Gate. Then there's a small parade from there to Pantip Plaza.

hes right ... float ... parade stuff is being put out near thaphae gate now :)

dave2

post-42592-0-89608000-1448355224_thumb.j

River Market Restaurant is having their big Loy Krathong party on Wednesday, the 25th. It's 2500 baht for adults, 880 baht for kids. It includes a great buffet, open bar, Thai dancing, krathongs to float in the river, kom loys to launch into the sky, a grand fireworks finale and a fabulous vantage point to watch all the fun. It's the same price as last year and a very good value compared to what the nearby hotels are charging.

attachicon.gifLoy Kra Thong Poster.jpg

Thais wouldn't pay that much, definitely not the Chinese and definitely not me. I do enjoy the RM for the odd afternoon drink but way too pricey for such cheap digs

Can someone clarify whetehr you are allowed to release fire lanterns this year? and is tomorrow night the 'big' night at Tha Pae Gate..ie parade etc

The big parade is Thursday night, starting about 7PM at Thaphae Gate and heading to the city (municipal) offices just north of the American consulate.

The balloon deal and the krathong-making contest is supposedly tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at the municipal offices.

As to when is it legal to release the lanterns....it's only part of one day and one night....but I'm not sure which day (but I'll bet 5 baht I see at least some lanterns flying all three nights).

Research the www. - there is Loi Krathong Lek and Loi Krathong Yai - yai is on the 26th

I've discovered that the Ping River actually extends further north and south of the Iron Bridge.

Yes, and that it isn't the only body of water where you can float krathongs.

Does anyone want to hear about the place where I usually go? It's much more quiet and serene than near the bridges in town, but still on the main Ping river. I was planning on keeping it to myself, but what the heck.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I've discovered that the Ping River actually extends further north and south of the Iron Bridge.

Does anyone want to hear about the place where I usually go? It's much more quiet and serene than near the bridges in town, but still on the main Ping river. I was planning on keeping it to myself, but what the heck.

Outer ring road (121) and Ping River?

2500? sounds very pricey by thai prices to me.

Not really. I went last year - it's an all you can eat buffet and relatively extensive, including seafood. No limit open bar, multiple act live entertainment, fireworks display, they hand out those lanterns to launch into the air and also the flowers you launch into the river. You also don't have to fight with the masses crowding the riverbanks in every other direction as the portion of the river adjacent to the restaurant is for ticketholders only.

If you can find anything comparable elsewhere - for a lower price - please do let us know.

(Incidentally, your comment is an annual standard on any thread that talks about a holiday celebration event hosted by The Duke's....congrats on being the first to tell everyone else that you think it's too expensive "by Thai prices".)

i like the Dukes and go there from time to time. That being said all "events" IMHO are seen as a way of making extra money but at a very high premium. 2500 is way above whilst it should be IMHO. Thats only my opinion mind you and others are entitled to spend their money where they want. Last week in Dubai I attended a top notch brunch at a 5 star hotel superb buffet and unlimited drinks for four hours, price AED 247 which wasn't even before i had a buy one get one free voucher. it was one of the best buffets i have ever had served in a 5 star hotel. now granted its not during an event but the price is comparable, AED247 btw is under thb2400. Now i know which one i would choose, also Dubai is much more expensive than CM so when I factor that in then yes 2500 baht to me is extremely expensive.

i will continue to go to dukes and other places but will continue to avoid events because to me too much of a premium is added. Each to their own though, i am certain the event will be a sell out success and wish them all the success but i will choose to spend my money elsewhere.

Well you have compared the meal now if you don't mind can you compare the special entertainment and hot air balloons along with the fireworks and the Kratong?

Please be as critical in your comparison of them as you were the food.

indeed it is a celebration but lets be honest all these events whilst good offer a fantastic opportunity for businesses to hike prices for obvious reasons they are in business to maximise profits.

im not a cheap charkie but do find sone of these event type meals do mean significantly increased costs. it a bit like weddings as soon as you mention weddings prices go up whether it be a photographer, etc

its an opportunity to make increased profits. personally i prefer to avoid the crowds but hey thats me.

I prefer the crowds. The river Market affair will help you avoid them.

It is just like most people. When they were working they took every opportunity to make the most money they could so why should some one else be different. Beside how much more are they going to make. I know they spent 50,000 baht for the fire works on the fourth of July no idea what they are going to be spending this year. But I do know if it was just food you would be right. I take into account the fact that it is not the cheapest supplies they can buy they go for quality ingredient not the cheapest.

As I said I like the crowd and the spirit in it. My wife doesn't like the noise. I will probably head over to the Narrowt bridge for the activities there. Not sure if the wife will follow e or go to her mothers.

I feel sorry for those who ignore the spirit of the thing and just think of the price.

I really feel sorry for you if you think that the spirit of Loi Krathong i s dining at expensive restaurant watching fire works or being at the narrow bridge following the "activity". It is a completely different thing for most of the others, fortunately....

As I said I will probably head for the bridge put a Kratong in the river and be a part of. Money doesn't even enter it for me. Also the wife will probably go to her mothers as there is an aunt and two brothers coming in to town. She is not certain of what they will do. She did say they might head for the bridge What is your idea of the spirit of it? Siting in a chair and saying bah humbug because you don't agree with what other people feel?

Outer ring road (121) and Ping River?

Nope!

(Although that's also an option, though actually a lot busier there for some reason. (Well-known temple or something.)

Saraphi ?

Nope!

And it's actually closer into town than the Outer Ring road. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

i will continue to go to dukes and other places but will continue to avoid events because to me too much of a premium is added. Each to their own though, i am certain the event will be a sell out success and wish them all the success but i will choose to spend my money elsewhere.

Good luck with that, The Dukes will be gone by next year.

For those of us who cannot figure out what Loy Kratong is all about (and don't much care), would remind that tomorrow, 26 Nov, is USA THANKSGIVING DAY. An opportunity of be thankful and grateful for the good things of life.

Best wishes to all.

For those of us who cannot figure out what Loy Kratong is all about (and don't much care), would remind that tomorrow, 26 Nov, is USA THANKSGIVING DAY. An opportunity of be thankful and grateful for the good things of life.

Best wishes to all.

Unless of course you're an American Indian.