Bangkok's green lung slowly being eaten away

webfact

Bangkok's green lung slowly being eaten away
Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation October

30271135-01_big.jpg
A land owner in Bang Krachao in Samut Prakan put up this sign to sell his plot. Signs like this are more frequently seen in Bang Krachao as the land price rises.

As more sell agricultural land in Bang Krachao, groups promote eco-tourism

BANGKOK: -- THE AGRICULTURAL image of Samut Prakan's Bang Krachao area is set for a radical change as more lands are being sold to property developers, forcing activist groups to encourage development of the area as an eco-tourism spot so as to protect the green lung of Bangkok.

Bang Krachao, the preserved green area south of Bangkok in Samut Prakan's Phra Pradaeng district, is threatened by rapid urbanisation because of its ideal location just across the river from the capital's bustling business districts of Yan Nava, Klong Toei and Bang Na. As a result, investors sense great prospects for real estate development.

Phongsak Taewtuean, a coconut farmer and the last coconut sugar producer in the area, disclosed that his rented coconut farm had been sold to a property developer by his landlord to build an urbanised village.

"I will have to move out from this land soon, as my landlord has already sold this coconut farm for a high price. I cannot grow more coconut trees and most of the coconut farms in the area have already vanished," Phongsak said.

As the price of land in the Bang Krachao area has been increasing fast in recent years and the change in the city plan allows housing development in former green agricultural areas, many orchards have been neglected. In some places, the land was being graded to prepare for construction.

Phongsak revealed that the price of land on the main road was a minimum of Bt50,000 per four square metres and the cost of riverside land was as high as Bt1 million per rai, a steep jump from the Bt5,000 to Bt8,000 per four square metres a decade ago. As his rented land had been sold, he and his family have to move to a nearby plot. He insisted that he would carry on with coconut sugar production but he realises that it will be much harder for him to find the coconut nectar source

Jakkaphan Thruadmarakha, Big Tree Project campaigner and also a Bang Krachao local, attributed the change in the people's lifestyle and the pressure from both outside and inside for more housing development as factors behind the developments.

"Many people don't see the value of their agricultural identity and the surrounding green environment anymore, so they sell the land and live the urban life in Bangkok. This has combined with population growth in the area and the outside need for housing projects near Bangkok. Therefore, we have seen the gradual decrease in green space in Bang Krachao," Jakkaphan said.

In order to protect the green lung of Bangkok, The Centre for People and Forests, Big Trees Project, and Rak Kung Bang Krachao group have introduced community-led eco-tourism to encourage people to protect the local identity and to push Bang Krachao as an eco-friendly tourism spot.

"The project is intended to let the local people learn to use their resources to promote eco-tourism, which will not only generate more income for the people but also raise awareness among the locals to love and protect their hometown, their heritage and the green space," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bangkoks-green-lung-slowly-being-eaten-away-30271135.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-19

Ecotourism group:

"We can offer you Ecotourism, with the possibility of making some money if you invest, maintain and promote."

Property developer:

"We can offer you a million baht a rai with no hassle."

Call me cynical, but most people would choose the easy money option.

On that picture i see a bunch of weed, do they call that a green lung?

Singapore has many green lungs and all for free, even for farangs! The Gardens at the bay are great! They also have a FREE light/soundshow there ever night.

Yes BKK needs more public parks with huge tree's and flowers. And make a special track for runners.

I always understood that that area was gifted by a past Thai monarch to some tribe, maybe the Mon, as a reward for services rendered, and that it was protected for that reason. In any case, I can't see it surviving as it is, knowing Thailand.

Singapore has many green lungs and all for free, even for farangs! The Gardens at the bay are great! They also have a FREE light/soundshow there ever night.

Yes BKK needs more public parks with huge tree's and flowers. And make a special track for runners.

A cycle lane would be good as well

Had a problem in Vancouver where the adjacent land was the best agricultural land in the province. They were trying to limit things like golf courses and

subdivisions in the surrounding area. Pretty difficult, not sure what the current status is.

Why re-invent the wheel with Thailand Town Planning when neighbours, Singapore are a global showcase of world renown?

Is it arrogance, stupidity, ignorance or, corruption that stops common-sense getting traction in this country with more potential than most in the region.... sad really.

A cycle lane would be good as well

Better have a double cycle lane then, one for slow cyclists and one for the guys who think they are doing the Tour de France.

Ecotourism group:

"We can offer you Ecotourism, with the possibility of making some money if you invest, maintain and promote."

Property developer:

"We can offer you a million baht a rai with no hassle."

Call me cynical, but most people would choose the easy money option.

20 - 40 million baht a rai, if it were 1m baht a rai I'd buy the bloody lot.

The green lung will sadly succumb to development. Nothing but money matters in Thailand.

The exploitation of people and the environment for profit by greedy individuals and corporations is not unique to Thailand. This is a symptom of an evil monetary system that is destroying mankind.

Issues like this are resolved through proper zoning & urban planning. Not by calling on the "good nature" of landowners to be green. If Thailand wishes to keep this green space, make up a master plan that mandates it, reimburse landowners for lost property value, and move on. Otherwise, it's more condos & more traffic.

Taipei also has many green lungs. It looks like all buildings but walk around back and you will find a park with trees and grass in just about every section.It is great for old people and children and even office workers to grab a coffee or lunch ... it gives people a chance to be in Nature while living in the city.

The green lung will sadly succumb to development. Nothing but money matters in Thailand.

The exploitation of people and the environment for profit by greedy individuals and corporations is not unique to Thailand. This is a symptom of an evil monetary system that is destroying mankind.

Amen brother.

Some will recall the "green lung" provided by the 23 acre garden at the original Intercontinetal. Other than Lumpini Park it was the largest green space it downtown Bangkok. Ripped up to build shopping malls, none of which has any green space.

You are referring to an intelligent, forward thinking government that plans, implements and creates higher quality of life for the inhabitants. And is progressive enough to set aside a budget for such a thing. One cannot hope that individual owners will step up. It has to be a government initiative. Can you think of a single leader in the country with those qualities, much less a Bangkok area leader?

No, of course not. Do you seriously think that picture represents the entirety of Bang Krachao?

ermm.gif

Bang Krachao is lovely, would be a real shame if it ends up being built and concreted over.

Why re-invent the wheel with Thailand Town Planning when neighbours, Singapore are a global showcase of world renown?

Is it arrogance, stupidity, ignorance or, corruption that stops common-sense getting traction in this country with more potential than most in the region.... sad really.

Thainess or just plain bloody stupidity does not allow for,learning from more "advanced" countries (even from near neighbours) coffee1.gif