Thai govt confirms no plastic found in examined algae samples

webfact

Govt confirms no plastic found in examined algae samples

BANGKOK, 19 October 2014 (NNT) -- No plastic has been found in algae samples inspected by the Department of Medical Sciences.

Department director-general Apichai Mongkol said the agency has examined 80 samples of algae, sent from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and public health officials nationwide, since 2009.

The agency also randomly examined algae products available at varied markets including those imported from China and others submitted by consumers.

The results of the department’s laboratory tests showed no plastic was found in any of those algae, though tiny cells and DNAs of certain plants were found with them.

However, the consumers are suggested to buy food in good packaging with labels identifying the production sources. Importantly, foods without an FDA sign should only be bought from reliable stores, according to the department head. Besides, any food which might have strange coloring, bad smell or taste should not be consumed, he said.

Over 20,000 species of algae have been found worldwide and categorized by colors into four major groups, including cyanobacteria, green algae, red algae and brown algae.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-19 footer_n.gif

Oh goodie now i can sleep better at night knowing there is no plastic in the algae samples ...doesnt algae normally have cells and DNA ? ......and i know humans share about 50% of their DNA with bannana's....so it must have been the bannana genes of the jouro who wrote this article

When will these reporters learn to start an article with a little background before progressing to the results.

Why was the algae being tested? Was there a complaint...some controversy? Where did the algae originate that was tested; the ocean, fresh water? Yes, I got that some algae originated at markets.

After reading the article I drew this conclusion, it may have been done to allay fears that plastic gets into food when it is packaged in plastic bags or other plastic products and most specifically because there are so many rumors about the possibility of getting cancer from plastic containers. However, the question then arises, why test just algae and not other foods, so my guess has probably missed the mark to some extent. There must be something special about algae.

But if this is just about algae then why did the say this...

"...the consumers are suggested to buy food in good packaging..."

Horrible reporting.