Oscar Pistorius released from prison, put under house arrest

webfact

Oscar Pistorius released from prison, put under house arrest
By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Oscar Pistorius, the double-amputee Olympic runner who fatally shot his girlfriend in 2013, was released from prison and placed under house arrest on Monday night, a South African official said.

"Oscar Pistorius was placed under correctional supervision tonight," Manelisi Wolela, a spokesman for South Africa's correctional services department, said in a cellphone text message sent to journalists.

Wolela cited officials at Kgosi Mampuru II Correctional Centre, a prison in the South African capital of Pretoria where Pistorius had served nearly a year of his five-year sentence for manslaughter.

The correctional services department had originally said Pistorius would be released from the Pretoria jail on Tuesday in line with a decision by a parole board at the prison.

"The handling of the actual placement is an operational matter of the local management, and how they handle it is their prerogative that is carried out in the best interest of all parties concerned, the victims, the offender and the Department of Correction Services," Wolela said in a second text message.

The murder trial of Pistorius generated intense international interest, and the surprising decision to release Pistorius a day early, and at night, appeared to have avoided the logistical challenges and spectacle associated with a large gathering of TV crews and other journalists hoping to catch a glimpse of Pistorius on the way out of prison.

While out on bail during his trial, the 28-year-old Pistorius had stayed at his uncle's mansion in an upmarket suburb of Pretoria. However, an Associated Press journalist outside the house said no one had gone in or out of the main entrance of the house on Monday night.

Under South African law, an offender sentenced to five years or less in jail can be released after serving one-sixth of the term — in Pistorius' case 10 months.

Pistorius was acquitted of murder last year for the Valentine's Day shooting death of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, but prosecutors have appealed the trial verdict of culpable homicide, or manslaughter, and will seek a murder conviction again at South Africa's Supreme Court on Nov. 3.

If Pistorius is convicted of murder by a panel of five judges at the appeal, he faces going back to prison for 15 years, the minimum sentence for murder in South Africa, which no longer has the death penalty.

Pistorius has maintained he thought Steenkamp was an intruder in his Pretoria home and killed her by mistake. Prosecutors said he shot her intentionally during an argument after she had fled to a bathroom stall.

While under house arrest, Pistorius will have to live under certain conditions until his sentence ends on Oct. 20, 2019. Pistorius will have to continue receiving psychotherapy and cannot handle any firearms, the corrections department previously said.

Wolela, the correctional services department spokesman, had not ruled out ultimately allowing Pistorius to return to training. He also said Pistorius would not be required to wear an electronic tagging device.

Pistorius, known as "Blade Runner" for his carbon-fiber running blades, gained worldwide fame when he ran against able-bodied athletes at the 2012 London Olympics, the first amputee runner to compete at the games.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-20

Another rich popular celebrity,gets away with murder,

so its not only Thailand where this occurs,but in U.S.A.

and now South Africa.its a disgrace.

regards Worgeordie

Before engaging the fingers, read the full article hasnt got away with anything yet...and he aint rich anymore his legal fees have just about bankrupted him

A properly constituted South African Court, with a Judge and two Assessors on the bench, having weighed the evidence presented to it, and duly deliberated, found Pistorius not guilty of murder, but guilty of culpable homicide (i.e. manslaughter), and gave him a sentence which the Court, in its best wisdom and judgement, deemed appropriate.

How is it that the posters on this forum know so much better? Fortunately for him, he was not tried in the Kangaroo Court of Public Opinion!

A properly constituted South African Court, with a Judge and two Assessors on the bench, having weighed the evidence presented to it, and duly deliberated, found Pistorius not guilty of murder, but guilty of culpable homicide (i.e. manslaughter), and gave him a sentence which the Court, in its best wisdom and judgement, deemed appropriate.

How is it that the posters on this forum know so much better? Fortunately for him, he was not tried in the Kangaroo Court of Public Opinion!

The prosecution appeal to the supreme court has nothing to do with anything you have mentioned above, the appeal is not seeking to over turn the judgement of the original case, but what it is seeking to do is to question whether the sentance handed down was appropriate which many feel its not including the prosecution in this case

Indeed, it is quite correct to state this. However, it does not negate the comments which I made, which concerns the findings of a competent court.

It may well be that the Appeal Court takes a different view as to the appropriateness of the sentence handed down by a junior court. We will

await the findings with interest.

I am not sure if any fresh evidence is to be presented in the upcoming case. It is possible that the defence will rely heavily, this time, in

Pistorius' state of mind at the time of the incident. Little was mentioned of the fact that South Africa had over 17000 murders in the

country last year, the bulk of them in Johannesburg. Compare that with the United Kingdom, with approximately equal population,

of less than 600 murders.

One cannot truly claim to understand how safe or secure a relatively helpless double-amputee feels at night, in such a lawless society.

Indeed, it is quite correct to state this. However, it does not negate the comments which I made, which concerns the findings of a competent court.

It may well be that the Appeal Court takes a different view as to the appropriateness of the sentence handed down by a junior court. We will

await the findings with interest.

I am not sure if any fresh evidence is to be presented in the upcoming case. It is possible that the defence will rely heavily, this time, in

Pistorius' state of mind at the time of the incident. Little was mentioned of the fact that South Africa had over 17000 murders in the

country last year, the bulk of them in Johannesburg. Compare that with the United Kingdom, with approximately equal population,

of less than 600 murders.

One cannot truly claim to understand how safe or secure a relatively helpless double-amputee feels at night, in such a lawless society.

As stated the appeal revolves around the sentance, its nothing to do with presenting any new evidence for this case

As regards your other comments and stats been there, done that and got the t-shirt and IMHO the fact he is a double amputee has absolutely nothing to do with what happened

My comment concerned his possible state of mind on the night of the killing. The fact that he is a double-amputee, to my

mind at least, would speak to an added feeling of vulnerability by Pistorius, in this case.

His whole defence was based on the fact he said he was in fear for his life when he fired yet how can you be in fear of your life from someone who is locked behind a door ? I also believe that any normal person who thought here was an intruder in their house would first ensure that their loved one was safe and then act.

It was for me a total stitch up from day one. The fact he is a double amputee is irrelevant but his colour certainly wasn't.

I read today that the parents are being very calm over the news saying that the fact he has been released on home confinement doesn't change anything and that their daughter is still dead regardless.

His whole defence was based on the fact he said he was in fear for his life when he fired yet how can you be in fear of your life from someone who is locked behind a door ? I also believe that any normal person who thought here was an intruder in their house would first ensure that their loved one was safe and then act.

It was for me a total stitch up from day one. The fact he is a double amputee is irrelevant but his colour certainly wasn't.

I read today that the parents are being very calm over the news saying that the fact he has been released on home confinement doesn't change anything and that their daughter is still dead regardless.

Funny comment about the colour... given the Magistrate was black, if race played a part in the judgement surely with the Magistrate being black she would have made an example of him then ? To prove a point....

Further if the decision was colour based why did the Prosecutor, who happens to white go after him so hard ?....if it was colour based why is the prosecutor appealing the sentence as it is deemed too lenient....surely if it was colour based they wouldnt have bothered ?

Edited by Soutpeel

Funny comment about the colour... given the Magistrate was black, if race played a part in the judgement surely with the Magistrate being black she would have made an example of him then ? To prove a point....

Further if the decision was colour based why did the Prosecutor, who happens to white go after him so hard ?....if it was colour based why is the prosecutor appealing the sentence as it is deemed too lenient....surely if it was colour based they wouldnt have bothered ?

So what is your reason for this glaring travesty of justice IMHO then ?

Do you honestly think a black guy doing the exact same thing would have been treated so leniently ?

So what is your reason for this glaring travesty of justice IMHO then ?

Do you honestly think a black guy doing the exact same thing would have been treated so leniently ?

Simple the justice system there has gone soft and all touchy feely and liberal like the UK....a black guy doing the same would have got the same or less, in this case he played his disability for all it was worth to garner symthpathy, if it was a black guy, they would have played the previously disadvantaged / broken home/ poverty angle...even it wasnt true....to garner the same sympathy from the court

The perception you have that this was a " colour" based judgement comes from the past which ended in 1994....whole different world there now

in fact the complete opposite is true there now....black empowerment, affirmative action etc in fact some people have suggested reverse racism in some respects....

if a black and white apply for a job guess who gets the priority even if they are not qualifed to do the job ? It aint the white, and this is a fact in goverement jobs, and in private business' race quotas are set by the goverment in some cases

Edited by Soutpeel