Learning to drive

I have searched this topic and conclude.

1. Drivers must be licensed

2. No licence invalidates insurance.

3. There is no such thing as a provisional licence, allowing a learner to drive while accompanied by a licensed driver.

4. It is recommended that one uses a Driving School.

This raises the question. Do the Driving School vehicles have special insurance.?

Are there off road places (with ROADS), (specially for learners), Jomtien area, where someone can practise without breaking the law.?

I was thinking maybe the Marine Barracks south of Jomtien where beach access is permitted.

Thank You

Edited by DisparateDan

My wife wanted to learn how to drive and since I hated taking her shopping, I thought it was a great idea. I decided that she should learn with a manual transmission. If you can drive a manual, you can drive them all. I lasted for three lessons and about one more lesson would have resulted in a divorce. Fortunately her uncle is a VERY patient guy who took over her lessons. She failed the first driving test and refused to bribe them. She did pass the second try and got her license. She has turned out to be a pretty decent driver and is now capable of driving anywhere. Fortunately we live out in the boonies where there are wide open spaces. If we had lived in a city, I definitely would have sent her to a driving instructor.

My wife made her license when I was in Europe to undergo some serious operations after a motorcycle accident.

The "driving instructor" had an old pickup, must have been built before WW II, or so.

When I sat next to her for the first time where I saw ( ( I prayed to all gods) her driving, doing around 100km/h, I was asking her why she didn't switch into gear # five

Hmm, the other car had only four gears and how the heck should she have known that?

But I have to agree with others here, better pay somebody than dying because of a heart attack. In a country where even the male population can't drive any sort of vehicle( excluding a Kubota) The female drivers usually scare me to death.

One of my colleagues at school's always speeding into the main gate and it's only a matter of time when she's driving over some kiddies.

Thinking about evolution, men are more for the practical stuff like hunting other females, etc.. while women are (usually, not always) the better cooks. Or was it crooks? Or both.

Please see attached image, a Cordon Bleu, with homemade potato salad, made by my "Miafarang" ( nickname).

Now I'm really hungry just looking at the photo. Time for a mama soup?

post-158336-0-72316000-1445768532_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

My missus did a week long course which guaranteed a pass and a Thai license. The first time she drove our truck she left the village and got out onto the 'main road'. I lasted about 80 metres before asking her to pull over. She abandoned the car in the middle of the road and I took over. I think it took another 18 months before she used it regularly. She's now ok as long as she doesn't have to talk on the phone (hands free) and pilot a moving vehicle at the same time, as a phone call overrides all other brain functions in a Thai brain.

Edited by JaseTheBass

My missus did a week long course which guaranteed a pass and a Thai license. The first time she drove our truck she left the village and got out onto the 'main road'. I lasted about 80 metres before asking her to pull over. She abandoned the car in

Make sure that you've got first class insurance and already check out the best hospitals in your area.....thumbsup.gif

P.S. But please do not use little kids as an air bag !!!!!

Edited by lostinisaan

My missus did a week long course which guaranteed a pass and a Thai license. The first time she drove our truck she left the village and got out onto the 'main road'. I lasted about 80 metres before asking her to pull over. She abandoned the car in

Make sure that you've got first class insurance and already check out the best hospitals in your area.....thumbsup.gif

Yes, we have good insurance. I'm more worried about the car getting scratched ( only a matter of time with so many retards on scooters in Chiang Mai).

DisparateDan,

Best place to practice is in the large car park at the indoor sport stadium on Chaiyapruck 2. Na Jomtien.

You'll always find others also practicing there and it's as close as you'll get to a real road with

curbs and junctions.

I taught my misses there and found it suitable enough.

Actually there is a good driving school just off nongket yai road,soi 15 off sukhumvitl,opposite Chol chan hotel.

They have a big driving area.they are like an agency school for the government,

The price for the course which includes about 15 hours driving/teaching is quite reasonable.i know a few thai and farangs that have learnt there and have turned out to be quite safe drivers.the school can pass them then they go to pick up the license at the transport office on 36 highway,much simpler than waiting the que at the transport office...

Actually there is a good driving school just off nongket yai road,soi 15 off sukhumvitl,opposite Chol chan hotel.

They have a big driving area.they are like an agency school for the government,

The price for the course which includes about 15 hours driving/teaching is quite reasonable.i know a few thai and farangs that have learnt there and have turned out to be quite safe drivers.the school can pass them then they go to pick up the license at the transport office on 36 highway,much simpler than waiting the que at the transport office...

I forgot to add,the current price is 5.500 baht for car,and 1000 baht for motorbike..

• 7 months later...

3. There is no such thing as a provisional licence, allowing a learner to drive while accompanied by a licensed driver.

can somebody confirm above, that in Thailand it is not possible to learn - i.E. his son - driving legal with a learner permit - same as in many countries in

Europe?

can somebody confirm above, that in Thailand it is not possible to learn - i.E. his son - driving legal with a learner permit - same as in many countries in

Europe?

Read post #3 already.

Europe?

Read post #3 already.

you know under which law that is allowed?

Poster #1 wrote: driver must have license.