Thailand's booze regulator warns public on 'instant beer'

webfact

Looks like a packet of effervescent beer flavouring, added to a mix of rice whiskey and water. Given that the flavouring was dried, and alcohol is a liquid, there is no suggestion that the flavouring contains unlicenced alcohol.

What's illegal about that? We can put any flavouring into legally purchased rice whiskey that we want, right?

The scary part of this is the stupidity of people in high places.

Looks like a packet of effervescent beer flavouring, added to a mix of rice whiskey and water. Given that the flavouring was dried, and alcohol is a liquid, there is no suggestion that the flavouring contains unlicenced alcohol.

What's illegal about that? We can put any flavouring into legally purchased rice whiskey that we want, right?

The scary part of this is the stupidity of people in high places.

I have seen people mix whiskey into soda water or coke.....so soda and coke must be also illegal crazy.gif

And what's shown in that video would clearly be non-alcoholic content as it's a freeze-dried powder and not a syrup (you can't freeze-dry alcohol)!

If using Pat's instant beer (that I guess is the only brand today) it would be a whooping $76 (2400 Baht) for your first 12 beers...

well you could put sugar and yeast into the powder....wouldn't be very instant as it would need a couple of days, but it would be a way to "have" alcohol in a powder.

Actually everyone can produce alcohol with yeast and something sweet...that must really hurt the hypocrites.

Can someone please tell Samarn Footrakul, in uniform- this country has many problems far more important than he is obviously aware of? If the guy really want to "serve" his country he should look for a task worth it instead of watching youtube.

You can buy a pack of beer and drink it instantly, that's instant beer. Then just connect a tube to your dick and connect the other end to your mouth, that is recycled beer, much cheaper.

Questions:

1. why was he looking at those Chinese guys on Youtube and what search term would have gotten him to that video?

2. Why is he staring so intently at a box of cheap local rum/wiskey?

*Note to self* - Do not go with AlQaholic if he invites you 'round home for a beer ! bah.gif

Anything to protect domestic pee-water from real competition.

That's it, i'm leaving.

All the beer I buy is instant.

I open the bottle and I get beer.

So he draws attention to something,,, and obviously now EVERYONE is going to want to buy this on their next trip abroad !!

he shot his own campaing in the foot by making news of this product!

I wonder if he actually has a Vested interest in this Instant Beer ? and is conducting some form of advertising (using his position).

also: funny how his friends around the table are casually drinking beer from tin-cans!!

i dont even drink alcohol and this product looks interesting. I cant see anything wrong with it. if someone wants to make their own powder beer (as supposed to having it from the tin-can, its up to them).

if he is worried that people may under-dilute the beer and it is too strong, then its also stupid, because these same people would also have large quantities of alcohol normally.. (and probably liquor too, which is much stronger)

Can someone please tell Samarn Footrakul, in uniform- this country has many problems far more important than he is obviously aware of? If the guy really want to "serve" his country he should look for a task worth it instead of watching youtube.

It's been decades since I've seen a liquor (or cigarette) advert on American TV, or seen ayone actually drinking a beer in an advert on American TV. And America certainly has bigger problems, too.

But that's why they hire lots of people to each look after their own little bailiwick. Hardly unique to Thailand.

Edited by impulse

Gee I hope that they catch all the miscreants that are flouting this incredibly important law, its not like there are more important matters pressing.

As Bluespunk so aptly pointed out I really did think beer was already instant - go to a bar ask for a beer, instantly you get one, buy take away open it and you instantly have beer, take beer home open same result when you open it - I struggle to come up with a beer that is not instant....

All they are worried about is missing out on tax money.

This article is a classic case of what journalists call "burying the lead." The important part of this article isn't the stupid opening part, the only part quoted in the thread here, about instant beer.

Rather, it's the part further down in the Khaosod article that wasn't quoted in the thread:

Samarn’s comment came as his agency further curbs the visibility of alcohol in the country. Just yesterday Samarn led officials to raid a Tesco Lotus Express in Nonthaburi province to ensure that new regulations enacted by his office are being enforced.

The regulation, which came to effect yesterday, bans alcohol producers from making certain statements on labels of their beverage, such as promises of “success in social or sexual life” and any remarks that lead to "degradation of the national culture" or "division or loss of unity among the people."

Violation of the regulation carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a 100,000-baht fine.

In yesterday’s raid, officials found five brands of alcoholic beverages they said violated the new rules, Samarn said, without elaborating on the specific nature of their offense.

The offending products were from three of the biggest domestic beer brands: Singha, Cheer and Leo, as well as two whiskey brands: Crown and One More. Officials confiscated them from the supermarket as evidence for prosecution of the companies, Samarn said.

W-T-F kind of regulation is this new one about, and where did it come from? Beer labels that degrade the national culture or cause loss of unity among the people? Really???

Maybe I'm drunk. But somehow, going after CP, the owners of the Thai 7-11 franchise, and the huge and influential Thai alcoholic beverage conglomerates like Boon Rawd Brewery that brew Singha and Leo doesn't seem like much of a recipe for political success or longevity.

..................."such as promises of “success in social or sexual life” and any remarks that lead to "degradation of the national culture" or "division or loss of unity among the people."....................

One would have to have a vivid imagination to read anything like that on beer bottle label !

And what's shown in that video would clearly be non-alcoholic content as it's a freeze-dried powder and not a syrup (you can't freeze-dry alcohol)!

If using Pat's instant beer (that I guess is the only brand today) it would be a whooping $76 (2400 Baht) for your first 12 beers...

well you could put sugar and yeast into the powder....wouldn't be very instant as it would need a couple of days, but it would be a way to "have" alcohol in a powder.

Actually everyone can produce alcohol with yeast and something sweet...that must really hurt the hypocrites.

As mentioned earlier, a method of "dehydrating" alcohol was developed in the 60s. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with a hexagon shaped sugar or corn starch molecule that completely encapsulated the alcohol. The actual powder was kinda hard to mass produce, and there are regulations that ban it in certain locals. This was in a story from the states around 6 months ago, so it is hard for me to recollect all of it.

This article is a classic case of what journalists call "burying the lead." The important part of this article isn't the stupid opening part, the only part quoted in the thread here, about instant beer.

Rather, it's the part further down in the Khaosod article that wasn't quoted in the thread:

Samarns comment came as his agency further curbs the visibility of alcohol in the country. Just yesterday Samarn led officials to raid a Tesco Lotus Express in Nonthaburi province to ensure that new regulations enacted by his office are being enforced.

The regulation, which came to effect yesterday, bans alcohol producers from making certain statements on labels of their beverage, such as promises of success in social or sexual life and any remarks that lead to "degradation of the national culture" or "division or loss of unity among the people."

Violation of the regulation carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a 100,000-baht fine.

In yesterdays raid, officials found five brands of alcoholic beverages they said violated the new rules, Samarn said, without elaborating on the specific nature of their offense.

The offending products were from three of the biggest domestic beer brands: Singha, Cheer and Leo, as well as two whiskey brands: Crown and One More. Officials confiscated them from the supermarket as evidence for prosecution of the companies, Samarn said.

W-T-F kind of regulation is this new one about, and where did it come from? Beer labels that degrade the national culture or cause loss of unity among the people? Really???

Maybe I'm drunk. But somehow, going after CP, the owners of the Thai 7-11 franchise, and the huge and influential Thai alcoholic beverage conglomerates like Boon Rawd Brewery that brew Singha and Leo doesn't seem like much of a recipe for political success or longevity.

That's the start of the road to prohibition. After they conclude that people aren't uniformly and nationalistically drunk, then ban alcohol. This "government" seems to be chockfull of old conservative teetotallers.

I dread the day Samarn discovers that certain chocolate brands manufacturers and importers have for many many years conspired to secretly smuggle in Alcohol inside small pieces of chocolate, neatly packed into little innocent party boxes......

I remember in the good old days with the "Dallas" TV-series and the Ewing brothers, the amounts of booze those people where gulping down (in the show I mean) they should have been convulsing in alcohol poisoning after half the episodes.....

I dread the day Samarn discovers that certain chocolate brands manufacturers and importers have for many many years conspired to secretly smuggle in Alcohol inside small pieces of chocolate, neatly packed into little innocent party boxes......

I remember in the good old days with the "Dallas" TV-series and the Ewing brothers, the amounts of booze those people where gulping down (in the show I mean) they should have been convulsing in alcohol poisoning after half the episodes.....

there are people who can drink a lot......2 bottle wiskey is for some no problem (I would die)

I have an idea for instant water, you have this powder in a sachet, and all you have to do is dissolve it in a glass of water, and then you get....instant water! Now we need to come up with a marketing campaign and crowd funding.

There is a flaw in your idea.

People that are likely to use instant water, probably have no glass handy.

However, I have a solution for that.

Instant glass - in a - sachet!

Send me 1.000.000 euro and I will register a joint venture.

Looking forward to doing business with you!

"all right all you evil Tesco Lotus workers, freeze! Whats this? some sort of whiskey? add this to the boxes of beer. take it all to headquarters. OK evil Tesco Lotus workers, you got off easy this time. But I'll be back!"

Edited by NCC1701A