Fitting Fees

iBike

Hi all,

the guys at the local bike dealership are fitting my new exhaust, tail tidy etc while my bikes in for first service. They obviously do it off the books as I didn't buy the parts there. I said I'd buy the sales guy and the mechanic a few 'drinks' for doing it as they've both been more than helpful.

Don't want to be tight but also don't want to look like mr moneybags farrang throwing Bahts around.

What are your opinions on a reasonable gift for them?

Why would you assume this is off the books? Workshop time is workshop time. You will get charged for it.

On occasion i buy the parts staff some custard tarts from KFC?

I'd assume it's off the books as i'm paying him with 'money for drinks' while they perform my 'free' service.

Obviously if I go to collect the bike and it's on the books then I'll literaly buy then a change each haha

Edited by iBike

Depends how long it takes and the effort involved.

Also consider the goodwill you will purchase for giving the lads a bit more. I always tip the mechanic at the Kawi shop and I never leave there without him going over the bike with a fine tooth comb.

A small investment now will buy a lifetimes good will.

If I buy exhaust from an aftermarket shop they'll charge me 1000 baht to fit anyway.......

Like Cam Samui said, I'm also paying for good service in the future.

If he was just doing his job I'd give him 100 baht tip but the guy doesn't get paid to fit my exhaust and tail tidy, he's paid to change the oil, filter and re-torque a few bolts as per 1st service instruction.

He's actually not supposed to be installing my parts as they are not bought from the manufacturers dealership.....

i had a flasher unit fitted to one of my bikes and a switch to make all the lights flash (hazard lights) it took him a couple of hours all the fairings had to come off ,i gave him 200 baht tip plus parts ,if your happy giving 500-1000 its entirely your choice

i always say as long as your happy thats all that counts ,too many cheap charlies here who will say i got it done for 5 baht , or you could of bought it in tim buk two and saved 5 baht