Thailand's roads second deadliest in the world: World Health Organization

webfact

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised were not number 1 in the World. The biggest culprit is the total lack of any traffic enforcement anywhere, but especially on local and city roads. With no enforcement, drivers feel they can do anything, and they do. Visibly enforcing the laws every single day with a well-trained police and traffic ticketing force and having a 5000 baht minimum fine would help. But, unfortunately, will never happen.

Have been visiting LOS for almost 40 years. Drove around Chiang Mai, Lampang & Chiang Rai this month. I commented several times to the missus that the driving attitudes seemed markedly better than ever before. Nowhere near as much passing on blind curves and driving at insane speeds etc. Was I dreaming or has anyone else felt the same?

I agree with you: I see sensible driving every day, everywhere.

Yes, driving licences are bought. No, the traffic police are not educating anyone or enforcing the laws properly. Yes, the majority of vehicles trundle along normally.

Van drivers? They are dangerous: they overtake at speed where the hell they like and flash you in your lane to get out of the way. Move or die?

Bus drivers overtaking on blind bends? Move or die. Move if you can, that is.

kids on motorbikes: who worries about that? No one stops it.

Motor cyclists without helmets: 100% of what?

I see motor cyclists riding in ways that they seem to think is protecting them. But they are actually being indecisive and that confuses other road users. Motor cyclists who stop in most unusual places, waiting for bigger vehicles ... no! Ride properly, mirror, signal, manoeuvre. On the other hand, I see motor cyclists over asserting themselves and I wonder how they survive.

By the way, the last figure I saw for road deaths was 28,000. Probably not WHO figures. In any case, learn the lessons: motor bikes are dangerous from all points of view. Van drivers are dangerous. Bus drivers can be dangerous. The government and police need a KITA.

Have a look a the report - there are 2 figures the WHO of about 24k and the "official" of about 14k...this discrepancy is common in many countries as the effectiveness and methodology of stat gathering vary wildly.

I do however agree that the general standard of driving in Thailand has improved over the last 15 years....this I would suggest is largely due to the increase in car ownership and those who EXPECT to drive a ccar....it is far more integrated into Thai culture.

They should do this, they should do that......This is Thailand! Nothing will change, not even now with the big General behind the wheel. I expected him to reform the Police but they still don't do anything. After the coup they all weared helmets here......for 2 weeks.whistling.gif

I love the "Newbes" who come on here and think they know everything, when in reality, they don't know a damn thing. When I made the comment that they only count the dead at the scene, and not those who die later at the hospital, a couple of them were QUICK to jump on that as a "falacy". Did they not read the last two lines of the WHO report?

Thailand’s actual road fatality rate may be even worse than reported, thanks to skewed reporting by the nation’s Public Health Ministry whose figures only include fatalities at the scene of accidents. Traffic-related deaths which occur later in hospital are not included in official figures.

For those of us who have been here for a while, this is pretty much common knowledge. Of course, a wet-behind-the-ears Newbe wouldn't know this, and would (and have) be quick to jump on this as "fantasy" or "porky". To them I say: "Get educated before running your ignorant fingers over your keyboard and showing how dumb you are.

If you take time to read the report, you'll see that WHO takes note of differences in the Statistics giving a :local" estimate and the WHO estimate - about 14k and 24 k respectively.

Edited by cumgranosalum

The full report also highlighted the way that the Thai Authorities report the sickening statistics.

If a poor soul dies in an Ambulance / Rescue Vehicle, or even at a later stage in Hospital, the person is not considered by the Authorities to be a casualty of a road death.

The WHO, considered these deaths and the more realistic figure for road deaths was in the region of 42 per 100,000 population.

Libya was the worst country, but there, more people die from gun shot wounds and bombs.

The full report also highlighted the way that the Thai Authorities report the sickening statistics.

If a poor soul dies in an Ambulance / Rescue Vehicle, or even at a later stage in Hospital, the person is not considered by the Authorities to be a casualty of a road death.

The WHO, considered these deaths and the more realistic figure for road deaths was in the region of 42 per 100,000 population.

Libya was the worst country, but there, more people die from gun shot wounds and bombs.

the variations in gathering stats from country to country are well documented....but I don't see your point. The WHO is probably more aware of this than yourself, what conclusions are you trying to make?

Have been visiting LOS for almost 40 years. Drove around Chiang Mai, Lampang & Chiang Rai this month. I commented several times to the missus that the driving attitudes seemed markedly better than ever before. Nowhere near as much passing on blind curves and driving at insane speeds etc. Was I dreaming or has anyone else felt the same?

As someone who rides a motorcycle on average 70 -100 km a day around Chiang Mai, I would say that you are dreaming :)

Fair enough. Still, I'll continue to drive rather than trust a mini van or bus driver with my fate.

They are 100% WRONG. The roads are not bad. In fact they are pretty good. It is the Thai drivers that are bad. When they drive they look right in front of their vehicle not down the road about 100 - 200 yards. So they do not see anything coming until it is too late. They do not use their mirrors for anything but putting on make up, coming their hair, and picking their zitts. They can be the most polite people face to face but when they get behind the wheel of a car or truck they are the MOST rude and ignorant drivers in the world. And I have driven in many countries around the world.

Complete and utter nonsense..apart from displaying an abject lack of knowledge of road and traffic engineering, your view is quite facile and appears to be based on a quasi-racist view of Thai people backed up by baseless derrogatory remarks attributing attributes observed all over the world exclusively to Thai drivers.

If this is the sum total of your thinking on road safety, I would hate to be a passenger in a vehicle driven by someone who is apparently so totally out of touch with what is happening on the road around them.

Thai way on a motorbike:Turning right into a main road. 1. Approach turning with no checking over right shoulder and no use of indicator. 2. Position bike in right lane. 3. Wobble round corner, slowly moving over to the left lane. (Repeat same for right hand corners)

Whilst out driving one day I asked the g/f what she thought the solid yellow lines in the middle of the road were for , she did not know but asked her father who had been a baht taxi driver for 40 years , his reply was so you can see the road easier at night time . ( not joking )

We have all seen pickups overloaded with goods or people but the one that stands out for me was a pickup with many household items and several people wedged in between and the tailgate was down with a very old lady sat in a wheelchair facing the following traffic .The wheelchair was tied to the very end of the tailgate with the wheelchair tyres projecting beyond the pickup .

The general has a massive task on his hands for reformation in this country but talk is cheap . Responsibility and accountability start from the top as in most corporate companies . The general is the conductor and at the moment the orchestra is badly out of tune . I often think that has he ever considered getting help from a western country to fast track some fundamental changes because if not all the tv weekly talking and propaganda will take a generation to bring the winds of change . If he really cared for his people how could he let these horrific road statistics continue .

I am not advocating a clinical Thailand and in some respects being behind the times is is not a bad thing as living in a fast pace country can certainly take its toll on you and many people are burnt out at an early age . Its really about getting the balance right . But for sure something radical is needed to bring a halt to the road fatalities . I bet there are plenty of readers out there who have got their own thoughts on how to resolve and mitigate the disturbing stats.

Whilst out driving one day I asked the g/f what she thought the solid yellow lines in the middle of the road were for , she did not know but asked her father who had been a baht taxi driver for 40 years , his reply was so you can see the road easier at night time . ( not joking )

We have all seen pickups overloaded with goods or people but the one that stands out for me was a pickup with many household items and several people wedged in between and the tailgate was down with a very old lady sat in a wheelchair facing the following traffic .The wheelchair was tied to the very end of the tailgate with the wheelchair tyres projecting beyond the pickup .

The general has a massive task on his hands for reformation in this country but talk is cheap . Responsibility and accountability start from the top as in most corporate companies . The general is the conductor and at the moment the orchestra is badly out of tune . I often think that has he ever considered getting help from a western country to fast track some fundamental changes because if not all the tv weekly talking and propaganda will take a generation to bring the winds of change . If he really cared for his people how could he let these horrific road statistics continue .

I am not advocating a clinical Thailand and in some respects being behind the times is is not a bad thing as living in a fast pace country can certainly take its toll on you and many people are burnt out at an early age . Its really about getting the balance right . But for sure something radical is needed to bring a halt to the road fatalities . I bet there are plenty of readers out there who have got their own thoughts on how to resolve and mitigate the disturbing stats.

"Whilst out driving one day I asked the g/f what she thought the solid yellow lines in the middle of the road were for , she did not know but asked her father who had been a baht taxi driver for 40 years , his reply was so you can see the road easier at night time . ( not joking )

We have all seen pickups overloaded with goods or people but the one that stands out for me was a pickup with many household items and several people wedged in between and the tailgate was down with a very old lady sat in a wheelchair facing the following traffic. The wheelchair was tied to the very end of the tailgate with the wheelchair tyres projecting beyond the pickup ."

As you say, we've ALL seen examples of this sort of stuff, but what most TV members fail to do is ask themselves WHY and what can be done.....rather than think about the problem it is easier for them to just but it down to some kind of innate racist Thai stupidity.

As you also point out, the answers ARE there...mostly in the west and in the basic form of the5 "E"s.......no progress ca be made until the country adopts these measures, most of which are already put forward by NGOs etc....but like most things in Thailand we have to rely on random dictums rather than carefully considered decisions backed by thorough research.

Edited by cumgranosalum

I love the "Newbes" who come on here and think they know everything, when in reality, they don't know a damn thing. When I made the comment that they only count the dead at the scene, and not those who die later at the hospital, a couple of them were QUICK to jump on that as a "falacy". Did they not read the last two lines of the WHO report?

Thailand’s actual road fatality rate may be even worse than reported, thanks to skewed reporting by the nation’s Public Health Ministry whose figures only include fatalities at the scene of accidents. Traffic-related deaths which occur later in hospital are not included in official figures.

For those of us who have been here for a while, this is pretty much common knowledge. Of course, a wet-behind-the-ears Newbe wouldn't know this, and would (and have) be quick to jump on this as "fantasy" or "porky". To them I say: "Get educated before running your ignorant fingers over your keyboard and showing how dumb you are.

"I love the "Newbes" who come on here and think they know everything, when in reality, they don't know a damn thing"

What amazes me more is the number of expats who have bee here for 1,2,3 decades and still have absolutely no clue of what is going on around them....and have little or no ability or tools to work it out either.

Edited by cumgranosalum

If the UK traffic police were suddenly posted to Thailand they would be unable to cope . They would probably have to double their officer numbers .

As most of us know the UK traffic police use a system called Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) . This cctv software will indicate within a second the status of a vehicle i.e. is it insured ,does it have road tax , does it have a current vehicle test cert; Is the car stolen , has the car been cloned .

Gas stations are also equipped with cctv that can be used with the ANPR to catch fuel thieves . However I guess that for some reason it will not be introduced here . Imagine how many vehicles would be taken off the road and/or impounded !

Food for thought

If the UK traffic police were suddenly posted to Thailand they would be unable to cope . They would probably have to double their officer numbers .

As most of us know the UK traffic police use a system called Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) . This cctv software will indicate within a second the status of a vehicle i.e. is it insured ,does it have road tax , does it have a current vehicle test cert; Is the car stolen , has the car been cloned .

Gas stations are also equipped with cctv that can be used with the ANPR to catch fuel thieves . However I guess that for some reason it will not be introduced here . Imagine how many vehicles would be taken off the road and/or impounded !

Food for thought

...and your point is what?

As long as high ranking officials are busy with lottery prices, bicycle events, an endless charade called education reform, and desperate attempts to prevent the country becomes flooded by instant beer, chance are they finally become the number one in the statistics.

In March 2013 a senior Thai government representative announced about 26,000 road deaths every year. Given Thailand's reticence to announce bad news I would assume these figures are more accurate than WHO. The 26,000 death toll has been mentioned in a number of previous topics on TV

"Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

These statistics were released at a press conference by Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana yesterday".

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

Quite correct.......although IMO, I would doubt any figures released for global statistics.....

All the above comments about the appalling road tole are valid. I believe that unlike other countries yearly registration is almost non existant as well as having to put the vehicle over the pits for safety inspections. Even if the vehicle didn't come up to standard a few baht in the mechanics pocket, if he is actually a mechanic, will solve the problem. Just look at the state of the local buses, that should explain something about the attitude to safety.

Everthing, without exception can be bought here, so any campaign against corruption which is part of the countries culture is like pissing into the wind. No one really wants it to change so the death toll in road accidents, drug abuse, and other forms of death creating activities will continue.

I do not believe in this statistic.

In Thailand the rate is around 100 per 24 hours.

As long they do not enforce the traffic law, or take away driving licenses, nothin is going to change.

Let them die. Its their own fault.

Even if they have a driving license (IF) do you honestly think they'd stop driving!!

Has anyone ever seen a driving school in this country? Ever seen a car with L plates? Me neither.

All the above comments about the appalling road tole are valid. I believe that unlike other countries yearly registration is almost non existant as well as having to put the vehicle over the pits for safety inspections. Even if the vehicle didn't come up to standard a few baht in the mechanics pocket, if he is actually a mechanic, will solve the problem. Just look at the state of the local buses, that should explain something about the attitude to safety.

Everthing, without exception can be bought here, so any campaign against corruption which is part of the countries culture is like pissing into the wind. No one really wants it to change so the death toll in road accidents, drug abuse, and other forms of death creating activities will continue.

Your comments about roadworthy etc are quite valid and frankly quite obvious, as are you observations on corruption, but like nearly everyone else on this thread you take only a single or limited aspect ... what is actually needed is an understanding of the whole situation not isolated factors or anecdotes but a holistic approach to the problem. There are organisations both inside and outside of Thailand trying to do this but successive governments either ignore or are prevented from following their advice.

I doubt very much if G. Prayuth as any ideas even about the basics of road safety, neither will most of his junta yet they are the ones specifically in charge of improving road safety at present....unless they 'mark learn and inwardly digest" the advice of the experts I can't see any significant change happening under their tutelage in the near future

That figure is underrated. Thai only count the dead AT THE SCENE. If you die later in the hospital, you don't don't get counted. Fact, not fiction.

Here is someone who doesn't know fact from fiction. You have obviously picked up on the well-established fact that how stats are gathered varies widely and heard about the discrepancies that arise from when and where people die - this is of course only OME factor in gathering of information. However, you then decide to apply this to every statistic you see....when even the WHO have 2 figures. They have been gathering worldwide statistics for years, decades and are well aware of the discrepancies and to a large extent able to compensate for this in the figures they produce.

I'm afraid your unsophisticated and simplistic interpretation of the situation has given you a grossly distorted take on what the figures actually mean.....the giveaway is of course anyone who thinks they can use expressions like "Fact, not fiction."

That figure is underrated. Thai only count the dead AT THE SCENE. If you die later in the hospital, you don't don't get counted. Fact, not fiction.

I am absolutely gobsmacked by this . It is totally unbelievable. Can anyone confirm that this is so , and are there any 'real' road fatality figures.? Surely they would at least double.

Secondly I wonder why a seatbelt law requiring everyone in the vehicle to be belted at all times isn't instituted immediately. It will work wonders: in Aus many years ago it caused a massive reduction in the road toll, because it was compulsory and strictly enforced. I'm 70, and would never ride without a belt on....I never need to think about it , but it is an auto response when I get in a car . The same will hold true for all Aussies ....check it out . JUST FLAMING DO IT !!!!! IT IS EASY, QUICK, EFFECTIVE , AND CASH FLOW POSITIVE . AND IT WORKS . I'm not saying it is the total solution, but it is a darn good start.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Thailand does have laws pertaining to seatbelts in cars, Thailand also has laws requiring all riders of motorcycles to wear helmets.

I don't think people realise just how roads in their home countries like in Europe are designed from the ground up to prevent idiots from doing what they do best. even more laughable, they put down the low casualties at home to their own good driving...for the most part, a colossal misconception.

I wonder if the include Chinese tourists in the statistics?

I've just been across a busy road opposite Kad Suan Keaw, and watched two Chinese females happily cycling down the road, against the traffic. One almost had a head-on with a song teaw and those drivers really enjoy giving way.