BRP Expiry Date

My wife recently got her first FLR and BRP. She is on the 5 year route. I noticed that the "valid until" date on her BRP is exactly 2 months longer than 5 years from the date she first entered the UK. I would have thought it would be exactly 5 years from her entry date. It looks like the Home Office have made an error and accidentally given her extra 2 months. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts...ours is not to reason why durhamboy My wife arrives 1/4/2012 permitted to stay till 1/7/2014.....apply Flr 1/5/2014 granted 25/9/2014 .... Brp 25/9/2016.facepalm.gif

Isn't your wife's case being handled (partly) under the old rules? In your case, your wife was unable to obtain ILR for some reason. Durhamboy's wife is on the five year and three-fee scheme.

Any thoughts...ours is not to reason why durhamboy My wife arrives 1/4/2012 permitted to stay till 1/7/2014.....apply Flr 1/5/2014 granted 25/9/2014 .... Brp 25/9/2016.facepalm.gif

Isn't your wife's case being handled (partly) under the old rules? In your case, your wife was unable to obtain ILR for some reason. Durhamboy's wife is on the five year and three-fee scheme.

Yes that is correct pre July 2012. My wife could n,t pass the Lituk Test...........hence applied for Flr another 2years.......got 26 months.

Yes that is correct pre July 2012. My wife could n,t pass the Lituk Test...........hence applied for Flr another 2years.......got 26 months.

I think she got 24 months from the date of the decision. Don't complain!

No idea iv not got that far yet how long did they take to decide your wife's FLR application?

They were very quick in turning around the FLR application - about 3 weeks. Makes you wonder about the worth of paying an extra £400 for a premium appointment unless there is an urgent need to use the passport.

If I look at the issue date of her BRP then she has been granted 2 days short of 2 years and 7 months - so that doesn't make sense either. My only conclusion is that they have made a clerical error and given her an extra 2 months making 5 years 2 months in total. My only concern about that is when she comes to the next stage (ILR hopefully) when the BRP expires someone might say the application is late!

If you think that the date is incorrect you should contact them immediately.

3. Collect your BRP says

If you applied from inside the UK

Your biometric residence permit (BRP) should be sent to you by post.

You need to check and report any errors on your BRP or damage when it arrives.
(7by7 emphasis)

BTW, the period of FLR, and therefore one assumes the validity of the BRP, is not 5 years from first entry to the UK; it is 30 months from the start of the FLR.

See also Biometric residence permits - general information for applicants, employers and sponsors (page 8)

What must I do if the period or conditions of my leave on the biometric residence permit is incorrect?
If you think that the period or length of your leave is wrong you may, depending on the kind of application you have made, be eligible to apply for an administrative review. For more information on administrative review, and to see whether you are eligible to apply for it, please log on to:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/administrative-review

I think that is mainly aimed at people who have been given a shorter period than they believe they should have been; the next bit is more relevant to you

If you think that the period or length of your leave is wrong and you are not eligible to apply for an administrative review you must tell us immediately using the service at: https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits.

<snip>
They were very quick in turning around the FLR application - about 3 weeks. Makes you wonder about the worth of paying an extra £400 for a premium appointment unless there is an urgent need to use the passport.

Personally I don't think it's worth using a PEO unless you know you'll want your passport back quickly.

FLR and ILR applications are expensive enough as it is; why give HM Treasury an additional £400 when you don't have to?

Edited by 7by7

I think she got 24 months from the date of the decision. Don't complain!

Who,s complaining ?

7by7 - many thanks for the points you made. I am still not sure if it is an error or not. I've since noticed that the expiry date is also in the little security hologram in the card and that is also the same date. I think I will let sleeping dogs lie.

• 1 month later...

On the subject of BRPs (for a postal FLR application within the UK), am I correct in thinking the cost is included in the visa application fee?

Been trying to work out when you pay for it, given the BRP letter is apparently sent out when the Home Office receives the application and before a decision is made, and it just dawned on me that they might actually only charge for a replacement. Surely not an opportunity missed to extract some more money from us?

On the subject of BRPs (for a postal FLR application within the UK), am I correct in thinking the cost is included in the visa application fee?

Been trying to work out when you pay for it, given the BRP letter is apparently sent out when the Home Office receives the application and before a decision is made, and it just dawned on me that they might actually only charge for a replacement. Surely not an opportunity missed to extract some more money from us?

I'm pretty sure the cost is included. Also, if FLR should be refused, I think you will find that the cost of the card is not refundable. Therefore, they have maximised the revenue opportunities. Presumably maximising revenue by charging what the market will bear is precluded by the European Convention on Human Rights - there is a qualified right to a family life.

Edited by Richard W

I'm pretty sure the cost is included. Also, if FLR should be refused, I think you will find that the cost of the card is not refundable.

Yes. Although the biometric enrolment apparently only takes 5 minutes, the Home Office will no doubt have a cost to pay the post office and so it'll be incorporated into application fees, pass or fail, so they're covered either way. I initially thought it would have made sense for them to only go ahead with the BRP process for successful applicants but they would likely say it's also an application i.d. check (for FLR anyway), so everybody has to pay it. And of course for those that fail and don't actually get a BRP, well they've paid for it anyway, so a small gain for UKVI by not having to issue a card. Win-win (or at least win-draw) for them. I'm amazed I was actually thinking it could be anything else!

Actually TCA you pay £19.20 to the Post Office when your wife goes there to have her biometrics taken. Also, everytime you do an FLR and ILR you have to have another new BRP done each time - see another recent topic about that.

Thanks db. Hadn't seen any fees mentioned anywhere. Ah well, in for a penny, in for plenty pounds. And of course none of our local post offices provide the service, so it'll be two return train tickets into the bargain. Never-ending expense. Roll on ILR.

Edited by TCA

• 4 weeks later...

If I look at the issue date of her BRP then she has been granted 2 days short of 2 years and 7 months - so that doesn't make sense either. My only conclusion is that they have made a clerical error and given her an extra 2 months making 5 years 2 months in total. My only concern about that is when she comes to the next stage (ILR hopefully) when the BRP expires someone might say the application is late!

My wife's BRP arrived today by courier. No sign of her passport or application papers but looks like it's in the bag. Very quick turnaround (just over 3 weeks) considering the application went in not long before Xmas. Here's the dates for anyone interested:

14/12/2015 - application received by the Home Office

22/12/2015 - biometrics given at post office (letter received the day before)

04/01/2016 - BRP issue date

06/01/2016 - BRP received by courier

01/08/2018 - BRP expiry date

Which looks suspiciously like the couple of days short of 2 years and 7 months that durhamboy's wife was given. Can't understand the dates but not complaining. Maybe the 30 months FLR starts from the end of the month that FLR is granted?

Edited by TCA