Small safe (vault) for a condo

HampiK

Hello,

I have searched little bit about safes and what I found so far is, that many told not to buy an electronic safe, because this can be opened very easy.

I have to agree with the cheap safes which are similar or same to hotel safes.

But I would like to have some informations about a little bit better electronic safes like:

Because if you have a Key, I can understand the reason that a thief will try to find they key in the condo and therefore probably will destroy a lot of things. And you also have to take care a key all the time... Where to hide and if you go out... You will bring the key with you all the time... danger that you lose the important key.....

I think (my personal opinion) is that a electronic safe is therefore more safe, because I can't lose the key.

The example of safe i gave is about the biggest I am willing to buy. There are as well safes for a few bucks. But this one can be opened much easier i guess and are in the category of hotel safes.

I have one with key and keyboard, gives me more safety

However.. that is not the main issue.. small safes like the one you displayed will just be carried out of the house and forcefully opened later on..

So you need one to screw on the wall / floor or with sufficient weight.. but don't forget that models with screws are worth much less for fire protection (15 mins instead of 1-2 hours)

I have one with key and keyboard, gives me more safety

However.. that is not the main issue.. small safes like the one you displayed will just be carried out of the house and forcefully opened later on..

So you need one to screw on the wall / floor or with sufficient weight.. but don't forget that models with screws are worth much less for fire protection (15 mins instead of 1-2 hours)

Swiss is absolutely correct from my viewpoint. I have an older style that has the key and combination lock and both have to be worked to open it.

And one small enough that someone can carry off doesn't provide much protection. But if all you need is a fire proof one for papers, then maybe your preference would be OK.

The same manufacturer offers the FIREPROOF & ANTI-THEFT LC-70A which weighs 100 kg. Notice the safe within the safe?

Maybe be way more than you want or need today, but something to think about for long term storage of papers and valuables.

post-51749-0-47899200-1445478565_thumb.j

Seems to me the biggest mistake people make with these small safes, is not securing them properly, and the theif just picks up the whole thing and walks out with it to open at leisure elsewhere.

Whatever you get bolt it down ,cement it in, whatever, but dont just leave it on a shelf in the cupboard as many seem to, as in fact they do in Hotels !!

One more thing to add..

When ever you buy a safe, do NOT in ANY case let the vendor do a house delivery... you do not want to tell him where you live and where he / somebody could find the valuables that need safe storage... don't forget that the vendor has the master codes and might have copies of the key also...

Yes, it is a pain in the ass to transport a 70/100kg safe on your own / with friends, but you do not want other people to KNOW that you have many valuable assets at home that need protection through the safe...

Seems to me the biggest mistake people make with these small safes, is not securing them properly, and the theif just picks up the whole thing and walks out with it to open at leisure elsewhere.

Whatever you get bolt it down ,cement it in, whatever, but dont just leave it on a shelf in the cupboard as many seem to, as in fact they do in Hotels !!

I guess best is to have a small safe, but keep the value things somewhere else.....So the thief gets nothing or not much but not searching the rest of the house.

Thanks for all comments till now.

My Idea of the given size is, that it is probably a good safe,which can't be opened in a few seconds. About the weigth, yes it could be transportet if there are more than 1 person.

But my condo has also security and CCTV. The Elevator can't be used without a Keycard for this floor. So if a burgler want to walk down many stairs with a 35kg safe and take care nobody will know about it.... and I was thinking to put some glue to connect the safe with the ground, which helps little bit.

Another one i found, which could be connected to the ground, but as someone else told.. probably less fire resistend.

Pilot SAE 1710

I am still not sure what I should do... the condo itself already have quite good security measures. you need keycard for open main door, then you need a keycard, to operate the elevator. Then there is a door to the room.... But still think it would be good to have an additional safe for put bank books, chanote and stuff like that in.

The bigger safe which a few people comment, is definitive too big for myself.

Another good option is to rent a safety box (for example from Kasikorn) but has the disadvantage, that I need to go to the shelter always when i want something. Advantage is that it is more safe.

I guess best is to have a small safe, but keep the value things somewhere else.....So the thief gets nothing or not much but not searching the rest of the house.

Interesting idea

Well put yourself into the position of the thief.....value things are locked into the safe and how to open it.....You would never got the idea to search in the deep freeze below the frozen meat (just for example), what is in that plastic box.

Don't go for cheapo electronic stuff!

As the example video in post #10 shows, they are crazy simple to break open.

They have a primitive electromagnet that moves a thin bolt to unlock the wheel.

The bolt is sitting in a spiral spring.

By hefty jerks it moves without the magnet (post #10).

Even a simple safe box with key attached to a closet or a wall is worth more.

And even "electronic" safes have keys which have to be locked away.

Or what should help it the battery is empty?

We have a small safe (50 kg) with number wheel plus key.

The problem with heavy safes: you need probably strangers to move it in.

Trustworthy?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't keep anything of any real value at home, so have no need for a safe. But if I was considering a safe, I would be concerned about burglars finding the safe, and with the prospect of hitting the jackpot being greedy enough to wait for you to come home thus escalating a simple burglary into something much more sinister.

Sophon

We purchased a small safe at our local Big C. It`s a key lock version and can be secured to the floor and a back wall that I done. There are electronic versions of these safes.

A thief trying to carry this safe out the house would have to rip up half the cement floor and wall to do so.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have searched little bit about safes and what I found so far is, that many told not to buy an electronic safe, because this can be opened very easy.

I have to agree with the cheap safes which are similar or same to hotel safes.

But I would like to have some informations about a little bit better electronic safes like:

Because if you have a Key, I can understand the reason that a thief will try to find they key in the condo and therefore probably will destroy a lot of things. And you also have to take care a key all the time... Where to hide and if you go out... You will bring the key with you all the time... danger that you lose the important key.....

I think (my personal opinion) is that a electronic safe is therefore more safe, because I can't lose the key.

The example of safe i gave is about the biggest I am willing to buy. There are as well safes for a few bucks. But this one can be opened much easier i guess and are in the category of hotel safes.

The issue is not whether the safe has an electronic lock. The issue is, "what kind of lock is it"?

If the electronic lock is a solenoid then you should avoid it as they can be easily "bumped" open as shown in many videos on the Internet. You should choose a lock that carries an EN-1300 rating and uses a motor locking device which cannot be "bumped open".

As far as safes go, I would recommend only buying one with a security rating that meets your requirements. The international security rating standards are UL and CEN, with CEN gaining popularity due to ever changing standards to respond to the ever changing tools available. UL hasn't updated their standards in more than 10 years. Rated safes are available in many sizes and strengths. Obviously the larger the safe and the higher the rating the price will be reflected as well. Another thing to note: a fire rated safe may not be rated for security or vice versa. There are safes available that are rated for both security and fire but of course the cost is higher.

There are a few safe dealers in Thailand who carry these types of rated safes. If you need a list, send me a private message and I'll provide the list.

Edited by sstuff3