Which Truck Poll

Which Truck Poll  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What's the criteria?

Work horse, or lifestyle pickup?

What matters most? things like load capacity/FE/price or features/comfort/performance?

There's no one-size-fits-all answer...

Personally speaking, if I were to buy a pickup it would be a pure lifestyle truck, where comfort, performance, safety and tech would outrank other attributes. So I voted Ranger.

If I wanted a truck to haul produce I'd probably buy a D-Max though - low cost, huge payload, basic enough that anyone could drive it and understand the controls, and good FE under high loads.

Edited by IMHO

Vigo? I thought they're extinct?

What about the Chevy or Tata?

I can't speak for the OP, but here's what I expect:

VIGO: Included because people who've updated to the Revo are still wondering why they did. Or perhaps just included for Transam's sake, because otherwise he'd enter a null vote?

Chev: Oddly, even though we have plenty of Ford bashers here, there's not too many Chev apologists.

TATA Xenon: I think it's safe to say it wouldn't get any votes anyway.

biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

Vigo? I thought they're extinct?

What about the Chevy or Tata?

I can't speak for the OP, but here's what I expect:

VIGO: Included because people who've updated to the Revo are still wondering why they did.

Chev: Oddly, even though we have plenty of Ford bashers here, there's not too many Chev apologists.

TATA Xenon: I think it's safe to say it wouldn't get any votes anyway.

biggrin.png

I thought the Tata would be a good choice for a workhorse (not that anyone on here uses their truck for anything other than road car). And, I know 3 people in TL who have Chevys - one because he's a wannabe Yank and has completely rebuild the engine in trying to turn it into a performance car, one because they were the only dealer in town who had a car in stock that he could immediately drive away in (it was also his first ever car even though he's 60-odd) and one who got it, I believe, because it was affordable and was only a second car to his Subaru.

I use my truck to work on the farm, I also have a Pajero Sport for normal use, I would never buy a truck for my everyday transport, ride quality far too poor.

I don't hold the same opinion ... I had a 520d until the 5-year warranty expired.

I then bought the V-Cross when it came out. Soon got used to the firmer ride and just loved the 'high up' view. Didn't worry about the state of the roads anymore.

The 'boot' huge ...four sets of golf clubs and suite cases no problem.

I think if you had bought a TOR pickup you would hold a different opinion.

However I'll sell it as soon as my EVT+ turns up.

I use my truck to work on the farm, I also have a Pajero Sport for normal use, I would never buy a truck for my everyday transport, ride quality far too poor.

Never about ride quality, more to do with survivability.

I don't find the ride in my Triton that bad. It certainly isn't as nice as the ride in my Jazz was, but at least I can hit a pothole and not worry about leaving my muffler or suspension on the road.

Ranger ride quality is equal to any car I have ever owned..

Never owned a flash car though smile.png

The Ranger's ride quality isn't quite up to PJS standards, but it's considerably better than the Vigo MYKTHMEMIN is accustomed to. So long as you're not daily commuting on especially bad roads, I could see it being very much liveable.

What's the criteria?

What matters most? things like load capacity/FE/price or features/comfort/performance?

Personally speaking, if I were to buy a pickup it would be a pure lifestyle truck, where comfort, performance, safety and tech would outrank other attributes. So I voted Ranger.

If I wanted a truck to haul produce I'd probably buy a D-Max though - low cost, huge payload, basic enough that anyone could drive it and understand the controls, and good FE under high loads.

Maybe, but price is usually a factor for work trucks.

Earlier this year we priced basic trucks. The company spec was a simple 2WD manual diesel with ABS and Airbag.

Isuzu, Nissan, Mazda and Chev were not competitively priced and no discounts.

Choice at that time came down to the Revo (incredibly basic), Triton (OK but bland) or the Ranger XLS due to a discount prior to the minor change.

Most big company purchasing departments would buy the Revo with out looking at it.

As IMHO said, it depends a lot on the criteria.

Edited by Jitar

What's the criteria?

In the same vein as W.T.F. is a 360 degree reversing camera on the pajero thread, W indeed T. F. is a "lifestyle pickup"?

... I didn't know that Thailand was in Texas.

What's the criteria?

In the same vein as W.T.F. is a 360 degree reversing camera on the pajero thread, W indeed T. F. is a "lifestyle pickup"?

... I didn't know that Thailand was in Texas.

Lifestyle Pickup: One suited to your lifestyle needs, often acting as the primary family car.

Worhorse Pickup: One chosen to undertake a specific work task.

Pickups here have very old fashioned cart springs on the rear to carry loads and will never be as good as coil springs are far as ride quality is concerned

Pickups here have very old fashioned cart springs on the rear to carry loads and will never be as good as coil springs are far as ride quality is concerned

The Ranger has two versions available with rear coil springs, if you really just need a pickup with the best ride quality. The bad news is, they're both single cabs, and traybacks not stylesides sad.png

Look at the two SWB models at the end of the list: http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models (both using the Everest chassis)

Also, let's be honest - the outgoing PJS's ride quality was only average at best - an eco car like the Almera still rides much better. The Ranger, even with leaf springs, isn't that far away from it.

Edited by IMHO

Sorry but you have never driven a Pajero Sport or you would not talk such rubbish, I would never buy a ford here, depreciate like a brick and have the worst service facilities and idiots as fitters from my experience. Not a mechanic in sight.

Sorry but you have never driven a Pajero Sport or you would not talk such rubbish, I would never buy a ford here, depreciate like a brick and have the worst service facilities and idiots as fitters from my experience. Not a mechanic in sight.

Err, I only just sold my 2010 PJS GT a couple of weeks ago - after 5.5 years and 175,000 KM wink.png

But, I will concede: back in 2008 when it was first released, yes, it had better ride quality and handling than the MU-7 and Fortuner - so back then would have been classed as "above average" - but not "very good" or "excellent" - the bar is set pretty high on these points when you start spending some money and/or go to better D class offerings.

I'm dead serious about the Almera though - noticeably more comfortable and quiet than a 2008-2015 PJS - yes, it handles like a bucket of poo, and it accelerates like one too, but it does do comfort surprisingly well for the money :P

Maybe you should do some test driving - even just for the fun of it smile.png

Edited by IMHO

The Ranger has two versions available with rear coil springs, if you really just need a pickup with the best ride quality. The bad news is, they're both single cabs, and traybacks not stylesides sad.png

Look at the two SWB models at the end of the list: http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models (both using the Everest chassis)

Also, let's be honest - the outgoing PJS's ride quality was only average at best - an eco car like the Almera still rides much better. The Ranger, even with leaf springs, isn't that far away from it.

I tried to buy one of them coil sprung Rangers.

Was told not available.

Thanks for the link provided. I observed they also have discs on the rear and the option of the 5 pot.

Just out of curiosity do you think that short bed could be removed and a standard one would fit.

Thanks for the link provided. I observed they also have discs on the rear and the option of the 5 pot.

Just out of curiosity do you think that short bed could be removed and a standard one would fit.

Unlikely, as the coil spring Ranger uses the Everest's shorter wheelbase chassis - I guess that's why it's supplied with an alloy tray.

Note: the 3.2L even gets the EV's Terrain Management AWD system - such a shame they don't make at least an extracab version with styleside tray - otherwise I'd buy one just as a toy :)

Unlikely, as the coil spring Ranger uses the Everest's shorter wheelbase chassis - I guess that's why it's supplied with an alloy tray.

Note: the 3.2L even gets the EV's Terrain Management AWD system - such a shame they don't make at least an extracab version with styleside tray - otherwise I'd buy one just as a toy smile.png

Would you happen to know if there is any available in Bangkok to view. I recon the cab space would be the main issue but after the tray is removed there would be options for a modified tray with rear storage to make up for the cab design.

Would you happen to know if there is any available in Bangkok to view. I recon the cab space would be the main issue but after the tray is removed there would be options for a modified tray with rear storage to make up for the cab design.

The only advice I can offer is to call Ford HO, and ask them about availability / if it's in stock anywhere.

Edited by IMHO

I was told that all pickups in Thailand to qualify for low tax rates had to have leaf rear springs??

I was told that for Ford to qualify for some sort of tax incentive with the Everest they needed to build and sell 500 pickups it is supposedly based upon.... hence the small ruin of coil sprung Rangers.

Even if taxes were favourable I'm not sure how popular rear coils would be here. The load capacity is considerably reduced. The nissan navara has rear coils in Australia (and a twin turbo) - and it's build in LoS. Reviews mentioned its comfort but sacrificed a lot in how much it could carry without the rear sagging.