Which Truck Poll

Which Truck Poll  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When the New D-Max came out in 2012, I think that the V-Cross version was the pick up to buy if you wanted it mainly for daily use and of course it was good off road. I did their day long 4*4 course and was impressed. Now probably the Wildtrak is the preferred choice..

Even if taxes were favourable I'm not sure how popular rear coils would be here. The load capacity is considerably reduced. The nissan navara has rear coils in Australia (and a twin turbo) - and it's build in LoS. Reviews mentioned its comfort but sacrificed a lot in how much it could carry without the rear sagging.

I would assume more taxes due to coils and defo a carrying capacity reduction.

I wanted one as a play toy. 3.2/manual with a short tray,5 inch lift and some huge mud tyres would be great to get out and terrorize the fortuner drivers in... I'd even put 80% tint all round on it just to annoy Ace Of Pop.

Something like this.

b229b112884012a4e746850d990325e0.jpg

Edited by Don Mega

Even if taxes were favourable I'm not sure how popular rear coils would be here. The load capacity is considerably reduced. The nissan navara has rear coils in Australia (and a twin turbo) - and it's build in LoS. Reviews mentioned its comfort but sacrificed a lot in how much it could carry without the rear sagging.

I wanted one as a play toy. 3.2/manual with a short tray,5 inch lift and some huge mud tyres would be great to get out and terrorize the fortuner drivers in... I'd even put 80% tint all round on it just to annoy Ace Of Pop.

Something like this.

b229b112884012a4e746850d990325e0.jpg

I reckon a 3.2 swb would fly. What does it weigh? 1892 kg according the the OZ website....but it won't fly with those wheels:)

Something like this.

I reckon a 3.2 swb would fly. What does it weigh? 1892 kg according the the OZ website....but it won't fly with those wheels:)

Ford sell 5.3 diff gears, them with 42 inch tyres the final gearing should be close to OEM.

Coil springs can be made to carry the same load but when they do there is minimal ride advantage. Look at at a Mercedes Unimog or Landrover Defender for example.

The lower capacity coil sprung pickups are probably targeted to better ride so their load is reduced.

Basically heavy load capacity = hi spring rate = rough ride when unladen.

Less change in empty / laden weight = better ride compromise.

Only way around that is variable rate springs and / or air or hydraulic suspension that can adjust the spring rate.

Pickups and trucks use leaf springs because they are cheap and light.

Extra suspension links are required to locate the axle with coil springs but this improves axle control geometry which is better for handling and suits cars and pickups used as cars or PPVs.

Edited by Jitar

• 2 weeks later...

My vote was for the D-Max, I bought a second hand 2009 4 door highlander 3ltr VGS manual pickup with 60,000 ks in 2011, put a piggyback style chip and a K&N aircleaner in it, have had no issues, I drive it very hard sometimes forgetting that its a diesel, like dropping down gears to overtake and taking off at the lights in second gear then flat to the floor to the redline then dropping the clutch into 3rd gear and the tyres slip. Missing services for 10,000ks overdue, I treat it worse than a Thai does and not once had an issue, I still get 15ks per liter average consumption and also 21ks per liter on a trip from Lampang to ChiangMai, From contacting people that fit CNG or ECU upgrades they tell me that the Isuzu ECU system is mutch better at recieving modifications that will not put the engine into Limp Home Mode.

So for those of you that just thrash your cars I would recommend the 2010 era D-Max 3.0 ltr just expect the clutch to be the weak link but cheapest to replace.