Dietary Supplements - General health

GarryP

As I am working full time, I don't have time to prepare meals for myself and tend to buy ready prepared food for both lunch, when at the office, and dinner at home. I do not wish to come home from work and spend an hour in the kitchen making a healthy meal as this would mean I have very little time to relax before going to bed. I do not get home until about 7:15 pm on most weekdays and I do some exercise before eating at about 7:45. So you see preparing a meal would add on additional time I would rather spend on my other interests.

Now to the question. In order to improve my diet and make sure I am getting all the "stuff" my body needs, not only vitamins but also proteins, amino acids, flavonoids, minerals, nitrates, etc. would supplements be able to fulfill this role? That is, is your body able to absorb, utilize, or do whatever it is supposed to do with them when introduced to your body in the form of tablets, capsules and powders in the same way it would were those things digested in the form of food. Obviously, I am not taking about replacing food with supplements, simply continuing to eat as I eat now but throw in supplements for the stuff my body needs but is missing.

In any case as I do work out a bit at the weekend, I also need to take something to compensate my body for the punishment I am putting it though, especially as I am not a youngster anymore - 52 going on 53 to be exact. Any suggestions on supplements would also be appreciated. I quit smoking 5 years ago and drinking alcohol in any form 6 months ago and the only medication I am on is amlodopine 5mg/day for slightly elevated blood pressure with my latest reading at 117/72 if I recall correctly (just in case that has a bearing on suggestions). One of my goals is to come off the blood pressure medicine entirely, hence quitting alcohol and getting fit.

There is some evidence that while supplements can provide you with the essential nutrients (Vitamins and Minerals) your body may not be utilizing them as effectively as if they were acquired via normal eating and digestive processes.

This of course leaves out proteins and plant based fiber which are also essential to health which are difficult to consume via supplements in any real sense...yes I know you can drink Protein shakes...but there are downsides to that (constipation, monotony) etc.

This is Thailand man....you don't have to prep meals ! Just grab whatever you need from the street on your way home. Grab some protein (chicken, pork, fish) grab some veggies (Som Tam, etc etc) and grab some carbs...noodles and rice and you will pretty much be getting everything you need and saving loads over buying supplements of questionable value and virtue.

There is some evidence that while supplements can provide you with the essential nutrients (Vitamins and Minerals) your body may not be utilizing them as effectively as if they were acquired via normal eating and digestive processes.

This of course leaves out proteins and plant based fiber which are also essential to health which are difficult to consume via supplements in any real sense...yes I know you can drink Protein shakes...but there are downsides to that (constipation, monotony) etc.

This is Thailand man....you don't have to prep meals ! Just grab whatever you need from the street on your way home. Grab some protein (chicken, pork, fish) grab some veggies (Som Tam, etc etc) and grab some carbs...noodles and rice and you will pretty much be getting everything you need and saving loads over buying supplements of questionable value and virtue.

I have cut out carbs by about 80-90 percent. I eat very little rice. I eat those other things you mention already, but not enough fresh fruit and vegetables and perhaps not enough protein or minerals. The choice of food in the soi where I live is very limited. A few stalls with prepared fried dishes and curries/soups, but they use far too much fish sauce and MSG. Then there is always the 7/11 pre-prepared meals.

Your first paragraphs seems to confirm what I had heard, but then I have also heard that many of the supplements in gel or powder form can be absorbed just as well as if presented in regular food form. In any case, it seems a bit pointless to take supplements which you will pass out of your body in urine before your body has a chance to absorb them (if that really is the case and I am far from certain that it is).

I have cut out carbs by about 80-90 percent. I eat very little rice. I eat those other things you mention already, but not enough fresh fruit and vegetables and perhaps not enough protein or minerals. The choice of food in the soi where I live is very limited. A few stalls with prepared fried dishes and curries/soups, but they use far too much fish sauce and MSG. Then there is always the 7/11 pre-prepared meals.

Your first paragraphs seems to confirm what I had heard, but then I have also heard that many of the supplements in gel or powder form can be absorbed just as well as if presented in regular food form. In any case, it seems a bit pointless to take supplements which you will pass out of your body in urine before your body has a chance to absorb them (if that really is the case and I am far from certain that it is).

Good advise from the Mayo clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/supplements/art-20044894

Good advise from the Mayo clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/supplements/art-20044894

Interesting article. But then my problem is that I do not believe I am getting everything I need from my current diet and wonder if taking supplements is the way to go as I am concerned about absorption. If I was already on a good diet there would be no issue.

No need to "spend an hour" preparing food !

http://greatist.com/health/52-healthy-meals-12-minutes-or-less

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/quick_dinner_recipes

Many more to be found in less than a couple of minutes using Mr. Google.

I have heard all about quick meals. Now go back and run through those recipes and you will see that a lot of the ingredients, if available at all here, are only available at a premium. The cost would not be much different to buying supplements. On top of that you would have me running around food shopping for half a day a week - something I do not want to do if avoidable.

I leave home for work at 7:15 am and arrive back at home at 7:15 pm Monday to Friday. Saturday and Sunday morning at the gym until 11:00 am. The rest of the time at the weekend, either out on my bicycle or running around doing bits and bobs. I don't want to have to go on shopping expeditions and pre-cooking meals unless it is clear that supplements are not appropriate/suitable/a waste of time, in which case I will have no option. Hence this thread.

With some smart thinking you can cook something in 2-15 min. No need 1 hour.

I know from other threads that you are a bit of a health and fitness freak (no insult intended). Do you or have you ever taken supplements? At them moment I am only taking Centrum Silver for people of 50 up.

Vitamins and minerals taken as a supplement will be absorbed, that's not the problem. The problem is that there is a lot more wrong with your diet than lack of micronutrients. And you could better address the micronutrients by just adding some fresh fruit and a fortifed cereal.

Problems with relying on ready made foods, especially in Thailand, are:

- too much oil and very unhealthy oil at that

- too much refined sugar: they afd it to almost everything

- not enough fiber

- too much sodium

I have heard all about quick meals. Now go back and run through those recipes and you will see that a lot of the ingredients, if available at all here, are only available at a premium. The cost would not be much different to buying supplements. On top of that you would have me running around food shopping for half a day a week - something I do not want to do if avoidable.

I leave home for work at 7:15 am and arrive back at home at 7:15 pm Monday to Friday. Saturday and Sunday morning at the gym until 11:00 am. The rest of the time at the weekend, either out on my bicycle or running around doing bits and bobs. I don't want to have to go on shopping expeditions and pre-cooking meals unless it is clear that supplements are not appropriate/suitable/a waste of time, in which case I will have no option. Hence this thread.

Guess you are correct .

Wast of time shopping for food.

Best check out what the space station Astronaut's eat. They do not do much shopping and do not seem to use "supplements" !

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/postsecondary/features/F_Food_for_Space_Flight.html

Guess you are correct .

Wast of time shopping for food.

Best check out what the space station Astronaut's eat. They do not do much shopping and do not seem to use "supplements" !

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/postsecondary/features/F_Food_for_Space_Flight.html

I never said it was a waste of time. I just don't want to spend time on shopping if I don't have to. I said, however, that I would do so if "supplements are a waste of time". Please read what is written. I have highlighted the sections to make it easy for you.

Vitamins and minerals taken as a supplement will be absorbed, that's not the problem. The problem is that there is a lot more wrong with your diet than lack of micronutrients. And you could better address the micronutrients by just adding some fresh fruit and a fortifed cereal.

- not enough fiber

- too much sodium

You have raised many of the issues I am concerned about. Oil/fat, sugar, salt, MSG. I eat lots of almonds and cashews as a snack at the office so hopefully that will be supplying fiber and some protein. But my lunches and dinner are all ready-made pre-cooked stuff. Dinner never used to be an issue as my wife cooked and used good ingredients. She has since passed away so it is over to me.

It looks as though I will have to spend more time shopping and preparing meals after all. I will probably end up eating mostly raw fruit and vegetables though. Luckily, I simply eat to live and am very far from being an epicurean. I do not need anything fancy, nor do I frequent restaurants.

- not enough fiber

- too much sodium

You have raised many of the issues I am concerned about. Oil/fat, sugar, salt, MSG. I eat lots of almonds and cashews as a snack at the office so hopefully that will be supplying fiber and some protein. But my lunches and dinner are all ready-made pre-cooked stuff. Dinner never used to be an issue as my wife cooked and used good ingredients. She has since passed away so it is over to me.

It looks as though I will have to spend more time shopping and preparing meals after all. I will probably end up eating mostly raw fruit and vegetables though. Luckily, I simply eat to live and am very far from being an epicurean. I do not need anything fancy, nor do I frequent restaurants.

Shop on line ?

http://www.amazon.com/Meals-Ready-Genuine-Military-Surplus/dp/B005I5ML36

Keeps soldiers fit !

- not enough fiber

- too much sodium

Shop on line ?

http://www.amazon.com/Meals-Ready-Genuine-Military-Surplus/dp/B005I5ML36

Keeps soldiers fit !

Thanks. cheesy.gif That made my day.

With some smart thinking you can cook something in 2-15 min. No need 1 hour.

I know from other threads that you are a bit of a health and fitness freak (no insult intended). Do you or have you ever taken supplements? At them moment I am only taking Centrum Silver for people of 50 up.

Yes sure. And I am not against supplements. Centrum is for sure a good product. I also eat some Vitamin C and fish oil capsules. When I sweat a lot than some minerals. And protein powder. So nothing special.

I think these ready to eat meals are of very poor quality/unhealthy. I often just fry 3-4 eggs and eat them. Total time of cooking maybe 2 min. Eggs are available easily.....Won't replace all the junk, but say twice a week you have a dinner.

Or boiled eggs and an apple (Banana, deep frozen fruit, Mango....whatever) as breakfast.

Or cook a spaghetti sauce and spaghetti and deep freeze them. Some work but the next meal just needs a few minutes. There are also pre-made good sauces available (import from Italy....not my thing but an idea).

Or deep frozen fruits + plain yogurt into the blender: desert is ready in no time.

- not enough fiber

- too much sodium

A complete different idea....pre-cooked food in the plastic bag from the shop/restaurant.

Some terrible, some good......Having the phone number from the motorbike taxi, he buys and delivers, you than pay him the food+something like 20 Baht (ours always ask for 20 Baht because he knows he get a big tipp, hahahaha).

No work, relative low costs, if you found a good place than healthy.

Maybe the best compromise between time, money and health.

I think your biggest problem is your attitude towards food. To treat it solely as sustenance and nothing else leaves you wanting. Try enjoying meals and developing a palate ...you might actually WANT to cook !

You could be right. But I have been this way since a child so it could be difficult changing. In any case, I think I will have to get off those ready made fried dishes and curries sold in the soi and stay clear of 7/11 meals. As Sheryl pointed out, they have too much bad stuff in them. I think I will have to really rethink my diet. Not simply take supplements but also change the style of my daily meals. Obviously, this will mean food shopping. Something I was hoping to avoid.

I can see my diet becoming raw fruit, veg, raw eggs, almonds, cashews and yoghurt because I cannot see myself cooking after work. I will then simply take the supplements for the nutrients I am missing. Plus dark chocolate for flavonoids (whatever they do). Oh well it could be worse.

I think your biggest problem is your attitude towards food. To treat it solely as sustenance and nothing else leaves you wanting. Try enjoying meals and developing a palate ...you might actually WANT to cook !

You could be right. But I have been this way since a child so it could be difficult changing. In any case, I think I will have to get off those ready made fried dishes and curries sold in the soi and stay clear of 7/11 meals. As Sheryl pointed out, they have too much bad stuff in them. I think I will have to really rethink my diet. Not simply take supplements but also change the style of my daily meals. Obviously, this will mean food shopping. Something I was hoping to avoid.

I can see my diet becoming raw fruit, veg, raw eggs, almonds, cashews and yoghurt because I cannot see myself cooking after work. I will then simply take the supplements for the nutrients I am missing. Plus dark chocolate for flavonoids (whatever they do). Oh well it could be worse.

Try to cut out the worst first....7/11 foods, some of curries sold in the soi. Some food, some shops in the soi might be OK. Try to be pragmatic.

As today is a public holiday I will go shopping at Tops Supermarket to stock my fridge. My son also told me about a restaurant not too far away which advertises itself as making healthy food. Perhaps they will deliver. I will check them out today too.

I need to eat/take something to repair the damage I am doing to my body at the gym and am determined to come off the blood pressure medicine I am taking. And I need to stop filling my body with the rubbish I am buying at the moment. A few posters were right that I need to spend time shopping for good stuff.

So, unfortunately, it is not just a matter of supplements. A whole new change is needed.

You need to change your attitude to the most important thing we do to keep us healthy and alive and that is the food we eat.

Your priorities are all wrong.

You need to put food first before exercise and relaxing etc

Once you feel good and are getting the right fuel in your body you will have more energy to do the other things you want to do.

Pre cooking meals on the weekend for the week can be a way to save time during the week.

Cook a batch of spaghetti and then all you need to do is make the pasta and a side salad when you get home.

As for supplements how do you know which supplements you should take anyway and in Thailand the quality of most of the supplements is very poor anyway.

As today is a public holiday I will go shopping at Tops Supermarket to stock my fridge. My son also told me about a restaurant not too far away which advertises itself as making healthy food. Perhaps they will deliver. I will check them out today too.

I need to eat/take something to repair the damage I am doing to my body at the gym and am determined to come off the blood pressure medicine I am taking. And I need to stop filling my body with the rubbish I am buying at the moment. A few posters were right that I need to spend time shopping for good stuff.

So, unfortunately, it is not just a matter of supplements. A whole new change is needed.

If the restaurant doesn't deliver, than a motorbike taxi can do.....

And don't go for the extreme...start slowly to remove the worst food. If you go from one day to the other from rubbish to extreme healthy, it will be too hard and you may give up after 2 weeks....

You need to change your attitude to the most important thing we do to keep us healthy and alive and that is the food we eat.

Your priorities are all wrong.

You need to put food first before exercise and relaxing etc

Once you feel good and are getting the right fuel in your body you will have more energy to do the other things you want to do.

Pre cooking meals on the weekend for the week can be a way to save time during the week.

Cook a batch of spaghetti and then all you need to do is make the pasta and a side salad when you get home.

As for supplements how do you know which supplements you should take anyway and in Thailand the quality of most of the supplements is very poor anyway.

Some also precook the pasta and than only put it in hot water for 1 minute, or just heat it in the microwave. They say it is impossible to taste the difference.

I think the pasta reheated isn't as good as fresh......but on the other hand my reheated pasta from Italy is surely better than anything CP sells in the 7/11

You can also cook a weeks worth of meals on weekend or free time, eat half Mon-Tues, freeze the rest and Microwave Wednesday- Friday.

I think you really need to enjoy eating....I think at my age it is the only real vice I have left ! I gave up looking for the right girl here in Thailand, they are all way too crazy and I don't like the sexpat thing, leaves me feeling empty (both emotionally and financially !) so food (and music) is it for me.

Fills the void....love to cook and love to eat even more...and you can eat healthy in Thailand...just need to become aware of good nutrition and practice it in your daily life. No need for burgers, pizza or the crap that will kill you for sure.

You can also cook a weeks worth of meals on weekend or free time, eat half Mon-Tues, freeze the rest and Microwave Wednesday- Friday.

I think you really need to enjoy eating....I think at my age it is the only real vice I have left ! I gave up looking for the right girl here in Thailand, they are all way too crazy and I don't like the sexpat thing, leaves me feeling empty (both emotionally and financially !) so food (and music) is it for me.

Fills the void....love to cook and love to eat even more...and you can eat healthy in Thailand...just need to become aware of good nutrition and practice it in your daily life. No need for burgers, pizza or the crap that will kill you for sure.

Married for 26 years and now single again. But believe I will find someone eventually. In the meantime I want to start looking after my body and mind better. Been keeping reasonably fit for a while now but my diet is far from good. I do eat yoghurt almost daily, almonds and cashews as a snack but the vast majority of my meals are rubbish. I also eat some jackfruit on a daily basis.

I think it is an age thing. 53 in a couple of months and don't like the thought of aging so must really start looking after myself better. Fishing for ideas and seeking confirmation whether or not supplements are helpful, especially for repairing muscle damage.

The consensus is that I must change my diet. I can't simply make up for deficits through supplements. I also need to cut out bad stuff. Not something I wanted to hear, but sort of expected.

But there is nothing wrong with self made Burger and Pizza....you can make them relative healthy.