True Fiber Installed

skippybangkok

You are in Bangkok and the server you test against is in Bangkok.

Still 8 ms is really fast.

Propagation speeds in copper or fibre is not significant on such short distances/times.

Also ping on long range does not depend much on propagation speeds but more on the the servers/switches on the way and the routing which is often much longer than the theoretical distance.

Propagation speed on fibre is about 200'000 km/s.

In 8 ms it would travel about 1600 km.

So you see the difference between theory and practice.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Propagation delay between copper and fiber is minor.

Copper – 2.3 × 108 m/s

Fiber – 2.0 × 108 m/s

Beside the propagation delay in fiber/copper the ping time also involves the delay in getting through the "electronics/amps/relays/servers/etc" in the fiber/XDSL/DOCSIS network. I expect most of your 8ms ping time was actually the time needed to get through the electronics.

I expect the fiber optics network has newer/faster electronics vs an older technology ADSL network.

Copper – 2.3 × 108 m/s

Fiber – 2.0 × 108 m/s

Beside the propagation delay in fiber/copper the ping time also involves the delay in getting through the "electronics/amps/relays/servers/etc" in the fiber/XDSL/DOCSIS network. I expect most of your 8ms ping time was actually the time needed to get through the electronics.

I expect the fiber optics network has newer/faster electronics vs an older technology ADSL network.

Makes sense. I thought electricity thru copper is about 1/100 th of the speed

Ping makes sense since there is not of electronics in between i assume

Tested many times - about 8ms on average. Connection seems way more stable too

Edited by skippybangkok

Of course...speed may be diminished at the isp or server (due to high access on your target website or lack of gateway

s).

Best to have more than a single gateway in and out of thailand. Worrying about copper or fibre is not really a good point. Better point does the ISP throttle usage...and are all gateways open....and how many people are accessing the same website/server at the same time.

Copper – 2.3 × 108 m/s

Fiber – 2.0 × 108 m/s

Makes sense. I thought electricity thru copper is about 1/100 th of the speed

Ping makes sense since there is not of electronics in between i assume

Tested many times - about 8ms on average. Connection seems way more stable too

Below is a paragraph cut and pasted from a Wkipedia article which I think does a good mix of technical and layman's language to explain the speed of light through fiber optics such as those undersea/inter-continental fiber optics lines carry internet signals around the good Earth. Assuming you are in Bangkok and were testing to a Bangkok server due to this short roundtrip distance almost all of your 8ms ping time was due to electronics encoding/decoding/relaying/switching/etc delay.

Quote:

The index of refraction is a way of measuring the speed of light in a material. Light travels fastest in a vacuum, such as outer space. The speed of light in a vacuum is about 300 thousand kilometres (186 thousand miles) per second. Index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in some other medium. The index of refraction of a vacuum is therefore 1, by definition. The typical value for the cladding of an optical fiber is 1.52.[29]The core value is typically 1.62.[29] The larger the index of refraction, the slower light travels in that medium. From this information, a good rule of thumb is that signal using optical fiber for communication will travel at around 200 million meters per second. Or to put it another way, to travel 1000 kilometers in fiber, the signal will take 5 milliseconds to propagate. Thus a phone call carried by fiber between Sydney and New York, a 12000 kilometer distance, means that there is an absolute minimum delay of 60 milliseconds (or around 1/16 of a second) between when one caller speaks to when the other hears. (Of course the fiber in this case will probably travel a longer route, and there will be additional delays due to communication equipment switching and the process of encoding and decoding the voice onto the fiber).

End Quote

Edited by Pib

• 3 weeks later...

True uses fiber, cable, and xdsl. They are now doing their best to blur what the differences are in their advertisements since I expect the technology terms are over most people's heads. And they like to use the word Fiber in their advertisements now because they know when most folks hear the word "Fiber" they think high speed.

You will see such advertisements as "FCI" which means Fiber Cable Internet...whether you can get fiber or cable will depend on which technology they have deployed in your local area. Like me, they only have "cable (DOCSIS)" in my moobaan but now refer to it as Fiber Cable....a couple years ago they just referred to it as Cable or DOCSIS since that was the buzz word back then for fast internet. I expect the cable does connect into some fiber optic trunk line upstream somewhere/outside the moobaan which technically does not make it a false advertisement.

True uses fiber, cable, and xdsl. They are now doing their best to blur what the differences are in their advertisements since I expect the technology terms are over most people's heads. And they like to use the word Fiber in their advertisements now because they know when most folks hear the word "Fiber" they think high speed.

You will see such advertisements as "FCI" which means Fiber Cable Internet...whether you can get fiber or cable will depend on which technology they have deployed in your local area. Like me, they only have "cable (DOCSIS)" in my moobaan but now refer to it as Fiber Cable....a couple years ago they just referred to it as Cable or DOCSIS since that was the buzz word back then for fast internet. I expect the cable does connect into some fiber optic trunk line upstream somewhere/outside the moobaan which technically does not make it a false advertisement.

Someone told me true's fiber is not fiber till house but more like this post-110391-14473403628412_thumb.jpg

Someone told me true's fiber is not fiber till house but more like this attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1447340362.441011.jpg

Errr.... thats is a typical DOCSIS network as you would find anywhere in the world. Fiber runs to the DSLAM, and from there on via COAX. Even ADSL would run over fiber to a local exchange, and from there via copper to your house.

Someone told me true's fiber is not fiber till house but more like this attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1447340362.441011.jpg

Errr.... thats is a typical DOCSIS network as you would find anywhere in the world. Fiber runs to the DSLAM, and from there on via COAX. Even ADSL would run over fiber to a local exchange, and from there via copper to your house.

However, where the rub lies is how they have advertised it over the years. They used advertising from the get-go of DOCSIS (cable) because fiber had little penetration into the Thai consumer market and "DOCSIS/cable" was the "fast" buzz word at that time. Now that fiber has become much more common and the buzz word is "fiber" speed, ISP as using fiber in their advertisements which will cause many to think fiber is used all the way to their modem when it's not reaching all the way...just part of the way. But I will admit in a few areas considering Thailand as a whole they can install fiber all the way to the modem.

And while fiber has "now" become the medium for the main trunk lines it wasn't like that until the last 5-10 years in Thailand as multipair, high capacity copper lines formed many of the backbones--and still do in many rural areas.

After the big flood of late 2011, TOT ran fiber to our large western Bangkok moobaan in 2012 but only to new electronic junction boxes mounted up on the poles above any future flooded waters to hook that fiber trunk line into. From those electronic junction boxes terminating the fiber trunk line the electronic junction boxes hook into the original analog junction boxes at ground level....from those analog junction boxes regular copper phone/dsl line runs to all the home just as before.

Also, last year True ran fiber to our moobaan but did not run it up and down every side soi containing all the homes like they did the DOCSIS cable lines...instead it was just run around what main sois....I can only assume they installed that to supplement the DOCSIS lines by running those fiber lines into the DOCSIS junction boxes/switches. Twice I asked True technicians who happenned to be in my moobaan doing some maintenance if a person can get True Fiber internet in my moobaan; they said no, only cable DOCSIS is available.

I guess what I'm trying to say with these examples is systems are mutating and what have may been nothing but copper phone lines before may now be a hybrid mixture of fiber and copper lines...or if living in the right area you may actually be able to get fiber all the way to your home/business.

When it comes to many technical issues/terms many, many people are clueless and they strictly go by what they read in the advertisement. But whether a person's internet is delivered by fiber, cable, or phone/dsl line shouldn't make a difference as long as it's reliable and provides the speed the person signed up for. I wouldn't care if it was delivered through blue PVC water pipe as long as it gave me the speed I paid for and it was reliable....and they could even call it Blue Fiber internet if they wanted to in their advertisements.

Also, last year True ran fiber to our moobaan but did not run it up and down every side soi containing all the homes like they did the DOCSIS cable lines...instead it was just run around what main sois.....

You must live in a huge village then to require multiple DOCSIS nodes, cause a Docsis node can handle a huge amount of houses.

Even if it were the case I doubt that you could split off spare DOCSIS node fiber to do FTTH