3BB vs State (Is it TOT/CAT?)

B0nkers

I may have made a mistake an ordered from the state internet provider because they offered to hook it up within a week vs 2 weeks with 3BB.

Now... I come here and see all kinds of complaints about it. But... then I also saw complaint about 3BB.

I'm wondering if anyone has had BOTH and can give a comparison? Does either one have noticeable downtime, or fluctuations in speed, or other important things that would affect working online? I need very high speed and reliable service. Keeping in mind, the condo block does not have fiber optic cables installed yet, so that will be a limitation for both company services to the unit

I have both, TOT Fiber2U (previously I had DSL) and 3BB DSL. I originally got the 3BB as backup for my TOT DSL. Frankly both of the DSL services had their ups and downs in terms of speed and re-syncs, and to be honest I don't think either out shone the other. Thankfully they didn't seem to align their up/down cycles so at least one always performed.

Since I upgraded the TOT connection to Fiber it's been solid as a rock, and in point of fact am on the verge of cancelling the 3BB DSL, just because I don't need it anymore

Likely it is ToT, the ex-monopolist.

Check:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

and look what ISP is displayed.

Where do you live?

Live in a densely populated area, big condo block?

Do you have a preferred "profile" / most used in the internet?

There is no simple answer to "which is best".

Stay optimistic tongue.png

I have ToT fibre and live upcountry in the sticks.

Little to complain.

But so I am far from a typical TV member.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Usually I am quite happy with my TOT dsl (wifi) connection. Rated at 13 mbps I get around 10-12 mbps in Thailand and about halfthat overseas, but today it is absolute CRAP - downloa 2.8 mbps, upload0.2 mbps. Somewhere something has gone wrong - a result of yesterday's holiday?

My general observations over the years are as follows.

CAT > 3BB > TOT

However location and neignbours does affect things a little, though not so much with fibre.

Fibre has also closed the gap slightly between all the players.

CAT has always been the most reliable, stable with good speeds in my experience, though at a higher price.

That said I currently have 3bb adsl at home and 3bb fibre at work and happy with both.

Likely it is ToT, the ex-monopolist.

Check:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

and look what ISP is displayed.

Where do you live?

Live in a densely populated area, big condo block?

Do you have a preferred "profile" / most used in the internet?

There is no simple answer to "which is best".

Stay optimistic tongue.png

I have ToT fibre and live upcountry in the sticks.

Little to complain.

But so I am far from a typical TV member.

"There is no simple answer to "which is best".

Yes, location is a definite factor. I had TOT for a number of years and it was plagued with slow speeds and down time. Switched to 3 BB several years ago and have had a far better experience, but I also had the guy in our building install a new line from the ground floor up to my condo which made a big difference. At the same time, I've talked to people who were quite happy with TOT and less so with 3BB.

Your location and your connection from where TOT or 3BB installation ends and your building/home wiring begins can make a big difference, probably more so than which company you choose.

I live in Jomtien and have both TOT and 3BB standard ADSL. TOT is the 6mb/s package, 3BB the 15 mb/s.

3BB is faster (obviously), but slightly less reliable, but the 3BB engineers are normally out within 48 hours to fix it.

TOT tends to be more stable. If there is a problem I have found it very difficult to get an engineer out though.

If I were to ditch one, it would be TOT and keep the 3BB.

Edited by tollgate