Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

the visa exempt days (30 day stamps) are the ones where the 90 day rule counts. Completely different from arriving with a TOURIST visa (60+30).

Pretty simple actually. Yes - 1 tourist visa and 2 visaruns for you. Cheers!

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mr. Mobi,

After 32 pages, this old fart is still confused. :o

Thats not what your wife says " Young at heart! " comes to mind.

Can you confirm that your understanding of the new rules, is that by using a combination of tourist visas at external emabassies and/or visa runs that in theory it is possible to stay in Thailand indefinitely.(not counting the time spent out of Thailand obtaining a new visa) e.g. a 60 + 30 tourist visa, then 3 x 30 day visa runs, then a new 60 + 30 visa, and so on?

Yes.

However, better for your daughter just to get a double entry tourist visa before she arrives. Less border trips. In fact, she also can get a multi entry non immigrant visa... as you are a client of ours, happy to help you on this. I will pm you.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I think I am confused and confused you on one of my quotes:

QUOTE -FANTA

* Next thing that is unclear is the reality and truth of if Tourist Visa days also count as total days(90days)?

QUOTE - SUNBELT

As of now, it is days.

This confuses me?? I ment that does the 60+30day Tourist Visa days count towards total day allowance in Thailand- being 90 days in a six month period?? But I guess that you later clarified saying that only VOA days (or what you are calling 'visa exemption stamp') are the days that count towards this 90 day limit?? I am still confused? This here tells me I can't stay the entire 5months? only 90 days period!.. but later in the post you say it is ok (see quote below)??? I am still confused.

I see now the confusion...

It is 90 days of tourist visa exemption days you are allowed.

However, the tourist visa of 60 days plus 30 days extension is counted as days as well. Once again, this is not against your quota of 90 tourist visa exemption days in a six month period.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Ok I am comfortable that I have all the facts I need.. Thanks Firefan! and Sunbelt of course.

I still will have some worry when I go for my first border run after my 60+30day Tourist Visa runs out. We are in such uncharted waters here on the doorstep of these new rules. I have so many stamps in my passport from 2005/2006 (prior to Oct2006); my passport is so full now... I am worried about descrimination and the immigration officer getting lost in my passport and hassle etc., but that is just general paranoia...lol. I will deal with that myself; no visa advice will help me be at ease over being traped in Cambodia...lol. I know I know I am over-reacting...

Thanks again.

the visa exempt days (30 day stamps) are the ones where the 90 day rule counts. Completely different from arriving with a TOURIST visa (60+30).

Pretty simple actually. Yes - 1 tourist visa and 2 visaruns for you. Cheers!

Not so simple. One tourist visa (60day) and a VOA (30day) doesn't always add up to 90 days.

If you get the visas back-to-back by doing a same day border hop i.e. depart Thailand on a tourist visa and enter the same day and recieve a VOA, you'll lose a day because the departure and arrival dates will be the same.

Many thanks lopburi3 for your reply to my question:

Question:

I would like to ask a question regarding the "current" 800,000 in ones account for maintaining a Retirement Visa.

Understand the requirement for this amount to be in a Thai account for at least 3 months, but is this 'magical' figure that they look at the end of the story, or do they look at the history of this amount in your book to see the in and outgoings around the qualifying period.

The reasons I am asking the above are:

At present I do qualify by age and can keep 800,000 + in my Thai account.

I live in Australia and want to spend a very major part of each year in Thailand, most likely 80 - 90% of the time, with a few short trips home each year.

I would prefer to keep my Thai account 'topped up' by me making regular deposits in person when in Thailand, RATHER than setting up regular transfers from Australia. Why; Because unless someone can advise me to the contrary, bank transfers between Australia and Thailand usually involve a fairly hefty fee at the Ausy end (around A$30) and for memory even at the Thai end another largish fee gets subtracted from the same transaction.

If one needs to do this on a fairly regular basis, like monthly, you are throwing a lot of good spending money away into the ocean between here and there!

lopburi3 answer:

Do not believe you need to make the transfers monthly - I do every 3 or 4 months (although admit I use pension rather than deposit to qualify). The max charge in Thailand is 200 baht. The exchange rate is better than cash. So even with the high wire transfer fee you will probably make money using it rather than cash. It also provides the proof if immigration wants to check the foreign source of your deposit money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If somebody hopefully like Sunbelt could answer the question, moreover in the example of someone making regular payments to their Thai account personally whilst in Thailand to maintain the 800,000 balance, I would appreciate it and I think this may apply to others as well.

I do see the difference between this method and someone having a regular amount arriving from a foreign source, but is this important or as I queried before, are they just interested in the 800,000 balance and it being there for the specified period.

Just one further supplementary question:

When in Thailand and living there most of the time on a Retirement Visa, what are the rules and costs of leaving the kingdom now and again to return to ones original country or just visit another country?

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by fishhooks

When you get your retirement visa you can apply for a multi-entry visa at the same time. Cost is 3,800 baht and then you can come and go as often as you want.

Or, if you only plan a few trips that year, you can get a reentry permit for 1,000 baht a shot before each trip.

Thanks for that,

I take it with the multi-entry permit @ 3,800 Baht, the re-entries would only be within the one year of the particular renewal?

I did hear from someone who does only go out a few times a year (I think he just pays the 1000 Baht each time), that you have to be very specific on your return date to Thailand each time, if he is correct it makes for not much flexibility? Or has he got it wrong?

Thanks for that,

I take it with the multi-entry permit @ 3,800 Baht, the re-entries would only be within the one year of the particular renewal?

I did hear from someone who does only go out a few times a year (I think he just pays the 1000 Baht each time), that you have to be very specific on your return date to Thailand each time, if he is correct it makes for not much flexibility? Or has he got it wrong?

A re-entry permit allows you to return within the validity of your permission to stay.

Single's fee Baht 1000, multiple Baht 3800.

So, if you permit to stay is valid til end of the month, single is better, if longer permission to stay, take a multiple and come and go as often as you wish.

Thanks for that,

A re-entry permit allows you to return within the validity of your permission to stay.

So, if you permit to stay is valid til end of the month, single is better, if longer permission to stay, take a multiple and come and go as often as you wish.

Its B1900 and B3900 now.......and 7 days max extension for all visa's.....its in big lettering at counter 5 :o:D:D

Thanks for that,

Its B1900 and B3900 now.......and 7 days max extension for all visa's.....its in big lettering at counter 5 :o:D:D

I think this is a mistake, you might be alluding at something else not the re-entry permit. I had my re-entry permit done on 4th October 2006 and it is still THB 1000 for single entry and THB 3800 for multiple.

By the way re-entry permit is done at counter 7 and not counter 5, counter 5 is for extension of tourist visa, VOA, Without Visa...

---------

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

Just to clarify, if you go for a single re-entry permit, you do NOT have to state exactly when you will return to Thailand, correct?

Obviously, you wouldn't go for it if you planned to return AFTER the validity of the visa you are paying to keep valid.

Just to clarify, if you go for a single re-entry permit, you do NOT have to state exactly when you will return to Thailand, correct?

Obviously, you wouldn't go for it if you planned to return AFTER the validity of the visa you are paying to keep valid.

The TM8 form that you need to submit for the re-entry permit requires that you write down the dat of return. ( Check this link for the TM8 Form

http://www.thaivisa.com/forms/tm8.doc

)

But it not of any meaningful purpose, since they when they issue you the single entry permit it will be valid for only the period your visa is valid. Technically you can enter the kingdom a day before your visa expires. But why would you do that if you want to renew your visa here further.

To be concise the date you have to state on the re-entry permit is without much purpose. Write any date before the expiry of you visa and this should be good enough.

---------------------------

A committee is a life form with six or more legs and no brain.

at the start of september i was lucky enough to get one of the last triple entry tourist visas from penang .( it followed straight on from a previous triple entry tourist visa from penang.) does anyone know what entry stamp i can expect when my first 90 days is up and i leave the country to hopefully turn round and come back on the second of my tourist visas? i've heard i'll be treated the same as someone who's done 3x "30 days free entries" and told i have to leave for 90 days. is this correct? thanks

I do see the difference between this method and someone having a regular amount arriving from a foreign source, but is this important or as I queried before, are they just interested in the 800,000 balance and it being there for the specified period.

If you are using the 800K method, its 800K being in the bank. If it’s a pension or income, it’s a regular amount arriving from foreign source.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

If you are using the 800K method, its 800K being in the bank. If it’s a pension or income, it’s a regular amount arriving from foreign source.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Forgive me if I'm asking a set of questions which have already been answered, but in 34 pages things can get 'lost in the shuffle'.

Retirement Visa

800,000 THB in Thai account has to be in place for 3 months or 90 days prior to application?

Is proof of 'source' still required for lump sum? e.g. Show finds transferred from outside the country.

Regards

800,000 THB in Thai account has to be in place for 3 months or 90 days prior to application?

Prior to the application

Is proof of 'source' still required for lump sum? e.g. Show funds transferred from outside the country.

Yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thank you for your prompt response, even to my typo :o

One further if I may, what if an individual has a company here, paying taxes etc. and wishes to retire here, would this then obviate the 'external funds' question.

Regards

"One further if I may, what if an individual has a company here, paying taxes etc. and wishes to retire here, would this then obviate the 'external funds' question."

I don't think so. I was working here for 5 years; had more than 800k in the bank from taxed earnings in Thailand; but still had to bring in money from overseas to satisfy the retirement visa requirement.

I will qualify for a "retirement" visa next year and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into how the 800,000 baht per year figure was arrived at. The figure would appear to be quite high, what level of seniority would a Thai police officer, government official or military officer have to reach in order to receive a salary of 65,000 - 70,000 per month (not including tea money)? I am also surprised that there seems to be no consideration taken as to the location and circumstances of the retiree, clearly if someone opts to live "by the sea" or in Bangkok then their expenses would be considerably higher than a person living in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani or Mahasarakham in a house that they had paid for to be built and so would not have to make provision for rent each month. I also notice the disparity between the amount required to gain a visa "by reason of marriage to a Thai national" (400,000 baht per year) and the retirement visa cost. How can it be assumed that a retired person, possibly living alone, would need twice the income of a person who is maintining a wife/family, it just seems strange to me.

Many countries want to see something in the bank so you don't become a burden should anything go bad for you. Countries can set the amount they deem appropriate and for Thailand they want to see 800K in the bank (or 400K if you have a Thai wife).

This is about US$20K which seems to me about what would be necessary for a reasonable standard of living and/or enough to pay for serious medical expense and airfare home if need be. Marriage to a Thai may seem in their eyes a reasonable form of commitment to the country.

Anybody who can't scare up US$20K to keep in the bank is obviously not the type they want and where is the problem with that? Who wants people using their country as a flophouse? I don't want it in my country and I doubt many others would want it either.

Some people think its their right to live in someone else's country no matter their circumstances. Well its not, its a privilege.

This and recent postings by Baboon, Pringle & Modi D'Ark seem to me to be the most intelligent and compassionate responses to the various issues of late.

I am in a very odd situation - basically "sitting on the fence". I'm here in the UK having had my house on the market since April and am waiting for the offers to match my asking price. Meanwhile I'm working and earning money for the retirement pot and the privilege of spending it in Thailand.

I'm single, over 50 and, by TODAY'S rules, can easily qualify for a retirement visa.

I have already decided to rent somewhere to live in Thailand rather than buy - on my last trip in April, I came to that conclusion based on the fact that I THOUGHT that the "30 year renewable" leases and company house purchase schemes were both vulnerable. With regard to the former I still think the same and I gain NO satisfaction in being proven right about the latter.

In the course of 7 months, the "established" means for Farang to live in Thailand have been rocked to their foundations. Now I realise that SOME of the visa rule changes are actually just enforcements of existing rules and not really changes at all. The uncaring would simply say (as many have) "Som nam na" to those who have been bending the rules - personally I have friends in that situation and I am truly sorry for them.

OK there is a "chancer" element amongst the Farang in Thailand. I don't beleive they are all bad people just as I don't beleive they are all good.

So what's my point? Well, I have been planning my retirement in Thailand for the last 5 years - I first thought about it 10 years ago! Now what do I do? Sell up and say "retire and be dammed" and HOPE THAT THERE ARE NO MORE CHANGES TO COME or give up the dream that has been just out of reach for so long? This is clearly a rhetorical question - as someone said on here "it's my life" so I shall make the decision, but it gives me a feeling of severe unease, when retirement is surely meant to be a relaxing time to which one looks forward.

As for those already in Thailand with nowhere else to go, who were doing things as they thought they should and hitherto felt secure - you have my sympathy and good wishes for your futures.

Finally my thanks also to TV, George and Sunbelt for keeping us up to speed.

Mike

Come over - enjoy it. I am also 50 years old and have a reasonably sized house just outside Pattaya. I bought it through the company route - which I now think was a mistake - oh well.

With all the changes that have 'rocked foundations' etc... I personally have noticed no difference to my life on a daily basis whatsoever. True I have looked into all the options of this company land ownership thing, but as I have a Thai wife I am not totally without options - but that is a different forum topic methinks. If you come over here now and rent a condo or buy a condo - not through the company route! or rent a house, and keep your money in the UK earning interest - what real risks are there. AS long as you follow the rule I read a few months ago on this forum 'DO NOT BRING ANY MORE MONEY INTO THAILAND THANYOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE' Now get back to looking forward to coming and retiring over here - you wont regret it!!

And I agree its a great pity for those who cannot live here and may have to leave, but that isn't you or me - so good luck...

Thanks dsfbrit - what you say makes a lot of sense ESPECIALLY the money angle! That one I'd already decided about - bring to Thailand what I NEED - leave the rest in UK banks etc. :o

My worry is that there will be more changes like this to come - we really do not know, despite all the conjecture, why the Thai Government has started to enforce all these rules NOW. Then again I guess we may never know....... :D

TIT

Mike

I would like to know why all the people living in thailand on a so called permanent basis do not become a citizen of Thailand and saves themselve the hazzle of forever obtaining vizas

Simple , cos its virtually impossible to get one as a foreigner :o

Yep you have to stay 5 years on a one year visa first.....

Then you can go for the test.....

if you fail , 7 day stemp, bey bey

become a citizen of Thailand
you have to stay 5 years on a one year visa first.....

Then you can go for the test.....

if you fail , 7 day stemp, bey bey

BlackRose, is the information in your last line based on your personal experience?

I would have thought that if your application for naturalisation is disapproved, you can go back to the type of annual extensions you had before you made your application for naturalisation.

Aside from that, while this is not an absolute requirement most applicants for naturalisation first obtain permanent residency and therefore if the application for naturalisation is disapproved they simply continue living in Thailand on the basis of their permanent residency status.

--------------

Maestro

Looks like we're all informationed out ! :o

Not at all!

Breaking news are, by nature, short-lived. After a short time, their ramifications are being discussed in numerous separate threads, each dealing with a different aspect.

--------------

Maestro

I will qualify for a "retirement" visa next year and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into how the 800,000 baht per year figure was arrived at. The figure would appear to be quite high, what level of seniority would a Thai police officer, government official or military officer have to reach in order to receive a salary of 65,000 - 70,000 per month (not including tea money)? I am also surprised that there seems to be no consideration taken as to the location and circumstances of the retiree, clearly if someone opts to live "by the sea" or in Bangkok then their expenses would be considerably higher than a person living in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani or Mahasarakham in a house that they had paid for to be built and so would not have to make provision for rent each month. I also notice the disparity between the amount required to gain a visa "by reason of marriage to a Thai national" (400,000 baht per year) and the retirement visa cost. How can it be assumed that a retired person, possibly living alone, would need twice the income of a person who is maintining a wife/family, it just seems strange to me.

Many countries want to see something in the bank so you don't become a burden should anything go bad for you. Countries can set the amount they deem appropriate and for Thailand they want to see 800K in the bank (or 400K if you have a Thai wife).

This is about US$20K which seems to me about what would be necessary for a reasonable standard of living and/or enough to pay for serious medical expense and airfare home if need be. Marriage to a Thai may seem in their eyes a reasonable form of commitment to the country.

Anybody who can't scare up US$20K to keep in the bank is obviously not the type they want and where is the problem with that? Who wants people using their country as a flophouse? I don't want it in my country and I doubt many others would want it either.

Some people think its their right to live in someone else's country no matter their circumstances. Well its not, its a privilege.

This and recent postings by Baboon, Pringle & Modi D'Ark seem to me to be the most intelligent and compassionate responses to the various issues of late.

I am in a very odd situation - basically "sitting on the fence". I'm here in the UK having had my house on the market since April and am waiting for the offers to match my asking price. Meanwhile I'm working and earning money for the retirement pot and the privilege of spending it in Thailand.

I'm single, over 50 and, by TODAY'S rules, can easily qualify for a retirement visa.

I have already decided to rent somewhere to live in Thailand rather than buy - on my last trip in April, I came to that conclusion based on the fact that I THOUGHT that the "30 year renewable" leases and company house purchase schemes were both vulnerable. With regard to the former I still think the same and I gain NO satisfaction in being proven right about the latter.

In the course of 7 months, the "established" means for Farang to live in Thailand have been rocked to their foundations. Now I realise that SOME of the visa rule changes are actually just enforcements of existing rules and not really changes at all. The uncaring would simply say (as many have) "Som nam na" to those who have been bending the rules - personally I have friends in that situation and I am truly sorry for them.

OK there is a "chancer" element amongst the Farang in Thailand. I don't beleive they are all bad people just as I don't beleive they are all good.

So what's my point? Well, I have been planning my retirement in Thailand for the last 5 years - I first thought about it 10 years ago! Now what do I do? Sell up and say "retire and be dammed" and HOPE THAT THERE ARE NO MORE CHANGES TO COME or give up the dream that has been just out of reach for so long? This is clearly a rhetorical question - as someone said on here "it's my life" so I shall make the decision, but it gives me a feeling of severe unease, when retirement is surely meant to be a relaxing time to which one looks forward.

As for those already in Thailand with nowhere else to go, who were doing things as they thought they should and hitherto felt secure - you have my sympathy and good wishes for your futures.

Finally my thanks also to TV, George and Sunbelt for keeping us up to speed.

Mike

Come over - enjoy it. I am also 50 years old and have a reasonably sized house just outside Pattaya. I bought it through the company route - which I now think was a mistake - oh well.

With all the changes that have 'rocked foundations' etc... I personally have noticed no difference to my life on a daily basis whatsoever. True I have looked into all the options of this company land ownership thing, but as I have a Thai wife I am not totally without options - but that is a different forum topic methinks. If you come over here now and rent a condo or buy a condo - not through the company route! or rent a house, and keep your money in the UK earning interest - what real risks are there. AS long as you follow the rule I read a few months ago on this forum 'DO NOT BRING ANY MORE MONEY INTO THAILAND THANYOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE' Now get back to looking forward to coming and retiring over here - you wont regret it!!

And I agree its a great pity for those who cannot live here and may have to leave, but that isn't you or me - so good luck...

Thanks dsfbrit - what you say makes a lot of sense ESPECIALLY the money angle! That one I'd already decided about - bring to Thailand what I NEED - leave the rest in UK banks etc. :o

My worry is that there will be more changes like this to come - we really do not know, despite all the conjecture, why the Thai Government has started to enforce all these rules NOW. Then again I guess we may never know....... :D

TIT

Mike

I am certain over the next years there will be changes. However I am 52 years old now and I currently am thinking of switching from the so-called 'married' visa to the retirement visa next year.

Why? Simply because I think that this group of people are at the end of the 'food' chain, as it were when it comes to visa clamp downs.

The thing is people under the age of 50 who want to live here may well decide to get married to achieve this and the Thai authorites know this too. The clampdowns - this one included - sadly catches the people who genuinely want to/are married as well.

Its very hard to 'get over 50 though' isn't it. Either you are or over 50 or you are not!!! You cannot suddenly get over 50 just to get a visa. So you are one of the lucky ones when it comes to visa groups.

My thinking is a as long as I always follow the rule of being able to walk away from what I have bought here and not be financially ruined - and have enough money to continue elsewhere - then where is the risk.

Hey my apologies for boring you with my thoughts on life - but it hurts me to see someone worrying about coming to live here just because of the potential problems they read about on this forum. We love it here !!! come over and give it a go!!

what i dont understand is i have a retirement visa and so must show 65k per month whereas if i married i only have to show 40K

Q1, so when i get married do i dump the retirement visa for a marrage visa?

part 2

my retire visa is due for renewal in Jan so this does not give me 3 months lead time to meet these new requirements.

Q2. If i get married then Thai wife can show this income for the past 12 months so will that suffice?

Thailands a great place until you have to do something!!!

BlackJack,

If you get a marriage visa then your retirement visa is null and void. If there is any way that you could keep your retirement visa keep it. Have you thought about what happens if you are on a marriage visa and your wife leaves and gets a divorce. Then you would be up the creek without a paddle.

Nah - my girls different

she said she rubbed me and wouldnt let me stand to close to the balcony

hahahahaha

Some companies are offering package deals (for visa runners)on the tv here in Pattaya, and it goes like this.

One trip to get 60 days (suggests Penang) then go for an extention of 30 days.

Then do 3 monthly border trips ie. giving you 6 months.

Start the same process again to get a futher 6 months, and so on.

This package is 18,700bt to his none existing customers.

His existing customers who already do the monthly border trips are being offered a trip to Penang for only 11,500bt then complete runs as normal for 3 months.

Sorry folks think again.

The imm is one step ahead of this lot. They have got wind of this going on and have now clearly stated. ONLY 7 DAYS EXTENTIONS.

Some companies are offering package deals (for visa runners)on the tv here in Pattaya, and it goes like this.

One trip to get 60 days (suggests Penang) then go for an extention of 30 days.

Then do 3 monthly border trips ie. giving you 6 months.

Start the same process again to get a futher 6 months, and so on.

This package is 18,700bt to his none existing customers.

His existing customers who already do the monthly border trips are being offered a trip to Penang for only 11,500bt then complete runs as normal for 3 months.

Sorry folks think again.

The imm is one step ahead of this lot. They have got wind of this going on and have now clearly stated. ONLY 7 DAYS EXTENTIONS.

Sorry - "ONLY 7 DAYS EXTENTIONS" to what exactly? Are you suggesting that the 30 day extension to the Tourist visa has been cut to 7 days?

Surely the issue here would be that the consulate is unlikely to go along with this in the second year - i.e. "Start the same process again" is surely when you'd be looked at??

I'm confused - well, even more so, now!