Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

Yes LivinLOS, that's exactly how I see it. I spend quite a bit, but that gets me a lot more for my money. In Pattaya I can eat out with my girl in nice restaurants once or twice a day no problems...she's no good cooking and I hate cooking myself.

BarryZ, the reason why I live in Pattaya is because I have access to all the foreign food and shops that come with the territory. Sure, I could live a spartan existence elsewhere (even here actually), but my attitude is that, as you said before, I want to live better here than at home and I had already set high standards back there.

Exactly right.. I am a sucker when I shop (ohh feta stuffed olives.. Hmmm nice salami.. Etc) and find its cheaper to eat Thai pre cooked than letting me in a shop.. I also live in a 'tourist' area because I want to have the ability to get things I consider necessities, good quality unground coffee beans and a broadband connection are not going to be easy to get in Nakon Nowhere.

Secondly as terrible as it sounds I like to discuss things and shoot the breeze and quite simply finding Thais with a political opinion or much worldview isnt easy.. I dont want to watch rice growing.

As for those who live an entire months budget on 10k etc.. I simply cant fathom it.. I went out on a bike cruise yesterday, bumped into some buds, had a few unexpected drinks, those turned into sundowners, drinks were purchased for some companions.. and looking at the wallet today looks like I spent someones months budget yesterday !! The plan is that the same buds will come by for a BBQ this afternoon, so out to get some king prawn and good steaks, they will bring the wine.. Looks like another half a months budget this afternoon !!

Now I am not writing that to seem like a boast, unfortunately whenever money is discussed if you mention that you spend a lot it is perceived as boasting.. Thats not my intent at all. However imported beef costs the same (or more if tax and transport is considered) worldwide.. Coffee beans have a fixed price.. As does so many things. Sure I can exist on rice and noodles (I do 90% of the time) but thats not much of a barbie is it ??

We're going to try out Brazil sometime later this year. Get this: In Brazil I get a free 90 days stamp on arrival, renewable in country for a further 90 days. My Filipino girl gets a 180 day stamp free (no shit!).

And I read that very easy to get PR and route to citizenship, along with right to own your home.. Lots of red carpet treatment... Good climate.. Interested to know how it works for you..

Edited by LivinLOS

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes LivinLOS, that's exactly how I see it. I spend quite a bit, but that gets me a lot more for my money. In Pattaya I can eat out with my girl in nice restaurants once or twice a day no problems...she's no good cooking and I hate cooking myself.

BarryZ, the reason why I live in Pattaya is because I have access to all the foreign food and shops that come with the territory. Sure, I could live a spartan existence elsewhere (even here actually), but my attitude is that, as you said before, I want to live better here than at home and I had already set high standards back there.

Exactly right.. I am a sucker when I shop (ohh feta stuffed olives.. Hmmm nice salami.. Etc) and find its cheaper to eat Thai pre cooked than letting me in a shop.. I also live in a 'tourist' area because I want to have the ability to get things I consider necessities, good quality unground coffee beans and a broadband connection are not going to be easy to get in Nakon Nowhere.

Secondly as terrible as it sounds I like to discuss things and shoot the breeze and quite simply finding Thais with a political opinion or much worldview isnt easy.. I dont want to watch rice growing.

As for those who live an entire months budget on 10k etc.. I simply cant fathom it.. I went out on a bike cruise yesterday, bumped into some buds, had a few unexpected drinks, those turned into sundowners, drinks were purchased for some companions.. and looking at the wallet today looks like I spent someones months budget yesterday !! The plan is that the same buds will come by for a BBQ this afternoon, so out to get some king prawn and good steaks, they will bring the wine.. Looks like another half a months budget this afternoon !!

Now I am not writing that to seem like a boast, unfortunately whenever money is discussed if you mention that you spend a lot it is perceived as boasting.. Thats not my intent at all. However imported beef costs the same (or more if tax and transport is considered) worldwide.. Coffee beans have a fixed price.. As does so many things. Sure I can exist on rice and noodles (I do 90% of the time) but thats not much of a barbie is it ??

We're going to try out Brazil sometime later this year. Get this: In Brazil I get a free 90 days stamp on arrival, renewable in country for a further 90 days. My Filipino girl gets a 180 day stamp free (no shit!).
And I read that very easy to get PR and route to citizenship, along with right to own your home.. Lots of red carpet treatment... Good climate.. Interested to know how it works for you..
I am on retired visa I do not drink or smoke so spending money on food that I like is no problem my problem is finding it if your a drinking man 1000 baht a day is what you will spend minium plus the lady drinks LOL so you will need a budget of about 100k a month minium I do go to a bar to chat with friends I spent around 500 baht some times less and I drink a couple of sodas so to me that is little expensive but I do not do it often and I have some very wealthy friends and they are conservative with there spending also because it becomes habit forming example my G/F lived on 5k a month before she met me now she spends almost that much in a week LOL but I guess when you get to be a senior citizen you will slow down if your still breathing LOL amen

Barry. There is only one way to find out. Come and see for yourself.

Dont cut all your ties at home. Come for a year and see how you get on. If it doesn`t work out you can always go back. If you don`t try you will never know.

Set your monthly budget and keep to it. It is very easy to get sucked into the expensive bar , restaraunt life. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want. A lot of people come here and try to set up Little England or Germany, Italy , Australia or whatever . Again nothing wrong with that but it does not have to be like that.

As I said `Suck it and see`

Barry. There is only one way to find out. Come and see for yourself.

Dont cut all your ties at home. Come for a year and see how you get on. If it doesn`t work out you can always go back. If you don`t try you will never know.

Set your monthly budget and keep to it. It is very easy to get sucked into the expensive bar , restaraunt life. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want. A lot of people come here and try to set up Little England or Germany, Italy , Australia or whatever . Again nothing wrong with that but it does not have to be like that.

As I said `Suck it and see`

Barry

bring your 800K - Thai Gov requirement for you to retire on - 66K PM

lock the rest $ in an Australian account for 12 months so you cant touch it

Bankwest Perth will give you 6.8% PA

cut up your credit cards

live here on you 10 or 20K and see how you go

good luck

OZ Embassy is in Sathorn Rd if you need help

Despite the spelling I think you've hit the nail on the head. I am sure that the girls are also more than ready to move on when they find out what a cheap charlie you are and that you will not try to help them, even if they have genuine problems.

So basically, what you're saying is that any farang with an income no more than 20,000 Baht a month, considerably higher than the average wage in Thailand, is a cheap Charlie and will not be able to keep a Thai girlfriend. Is that correct?

Barry, expectations are likely higher for farang men than Thais and also higher if you are older. A young Thai woman might feel very lucky to find a Thai man her own age with a salary of 20k which is likely to rise in time but, if she met an older farang guy with on a fixed income of the same amount, she is hardly likely to feel she won the pools. If you are a 30 something handsome farang teacher on a low salary, you will be better accepted. You can probably manage, if you are very Spartan, but it will be realistically hard and you may have trouble finding a long term gf.

I don't drink BTW and when a girl starts asking for money then I get a new girlfriend. There are tons here

than good luck looking for one who not wants support or help,,i never see toons of them in 17 years.

I think it helps to not be fat and ugly and having some smarts works too. Lots of Thai girls will be in relationships without money. I found quite few will give you the sweetness for english lessons and some free meals. If after a few months they think they are entitled to whatever then you know what their motivation is and why they are interested in you. Just send them packing. Mai Pen Lai

you are super

you ever heard about the word "exploiation"?????

so you never talk about grilfriend, you are just talking about free sex Or just for a meal?),,because girlfriend mean as well supporting in good an d bad times,,,,most thais are not rich,, and when the day comes,,you say bye bye.................

i am not fat or ugly or however , but i not exploiate girls,,, even in europe girlfirend s who worked in regualr jobs i sometime support due to lack of incomming for my livingstandard ( most wehen it comes to restaurants or holidays) ,,,but i never was thinking about packing when something come,as long its inline within nrmal life

sorry,but i dont have any sympathie with you ( even when i think most thais are gredy if rich or poor and we are the ATM)

Despite the spelling I think you've hit the nail on the head. I am sure that the girls are also more than ready to move on when they find out what a cheap charlie you are and that you will not try to help them, even if they have genuine problems.

thais can get by fine on their 8 to 10k baht a month salaries. Typical of the girls I have dated. Maybe its you that is desperate for love and acceptance that is the exploited party. Keep on with your rationalization and delusion. It's your money after all. Spend it how you wish.

Yes, I agree each to his own. There are a lot of other guys in Thailand doing the same as you and many even manage to wheedle money out of girls on low salaries as well as bedding them and moving on, often leaving them pregnant. Most of them are Thai.

Thanks guys for all your replies. It's a pity the forum doesn't have a separate section for cost of living issues in Thailand. They're obviously not directly related to this thread's issue of retirement visa requirements, but are certainly indirectly related.

The issue has been confused because so many of you have different requirements regarding standards of luxury. Searching the internet for comparative costs of living revealed the following up-to-date information on cities around the world. http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving.htm

This list might raise some eyebrows because Moscow is now the most expensive city in the world. Hanoi is more expensive than Brisbane, which doesn't seem right to me. Bangkok is less expensive than Brisbane which in turn is less expensive than Sydney. Asuncion in Paraguay seems to be the least expensive city in the world, but Manila is not far from the bottom of that list.

The problem I see here is that there has to be a fixed standard of living and a fixed basket of goods, the cost of which applies to all cities without favour. Wine is very cheap in Brisbane, but much more expensive in Bangkok. Do you include wine in that basket, or Mekong whisky as a substitue, or do you insist on Johnnie Walker? Do you take advantage of items that are good value, or do you insist on buying that Australian imported steak? Are you going to be flexible or are you set in your ways?

I'm flexible :o .

A lot of people come here and try to set up Little England or Germany, Italy , Australia or whatever . Again nothing wrong with that but it does not have to be like that.

Germans seems to be very good at that :o

I have 2 german friends living nearby.

Coming in to their houses, it's all "Home sweet home" :D

One of e'm even imported a whole bathroom setup from Germany.

Copper pipes, stainless steel brand name taps,shower cubicle, etc etc.

I guess water tapped from the thai standard blue pvc pipes, gives him an itch :D

Edited by friend2

We Have some Italian friends who come here with their VISA exempt stamps and spend the whole 2 weeks sitting in an Italian restaraunt.

Barry are you packing yet?

Hey! Lite Beer, I just got back a few weeks ago from Koh Samui. Gimme a few months to reorganise :o . Maybe around Songkran I'll go north where it's a bit cooler. I've never visited any place in Thailand that's not a tourist destination. Maybe I'll get a shock.

Thanks guys for all your replies. It's a pity the forum doesn't have a separate section for cost of living issues in Thailand. They're obviously not directly related to this thread's issue of retirement visa requirements, but are certainly indirectly related.

The issue has been confused because so many of you have different requirements regarding standards of luxury. Searching the internet for comparative costs of living revealed the following up-to-date information on cities around the world. http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving.htm

This list might raise some eyebrows because Moscow is now the most expensive city in the world. Hanoi is more expensive than Brisbane, which doesn't seem right to me. Bangkok is less expensive than Brisbane which in turn is less expensive than Sydney. Asuncion in Paraguay seems to be the least expensive city in the world, but Manila is not far from the bottom of that list.

The problem I see here is that there has to be a fixed standard of living and a fixed basket of goods, the cost of which applies to all cities without favour. Wine is very cheap in Brisbane, but much more expensive in Bangkok. Do you include wine in that basket, or Mekong whisky as a substitue, or do you insist on Johnnie Walker? Do you take advantage of items that are good value, or do you insist on buying that Australian imported steak? Are you going to be flexible or are you set in your ways?

I'm flexible :D .

If you are in search for the cheapest place of living I recomend Tehran. granted you can find cheaper still but when it comes to what's available your US$ will take you a long way. Booze is cheap as well, as you brew your own. Since there are no places to go beside home and work, you spend absolutely nothing and if you are not working you can even save the pennies it cost to travel to the office. Boredom is absolutely guaranteed and probably at the cheapest going rate anywhere in the world, even Saudi is more fun. :o:D

Barry,

Since you're new at this - you can also search this forum for other threads which may have information about the cost of living in Thailand.

Go to one of the Category listing pages, like "General Topics". Look at the bottom of the page and put "Cost of Living" or some such in the "Enter Keywords" location and hit the "Search This Topic" button. There's a lot of information available.

You'll probably get better and more manageable results if you do the search on a Category listing page rather than the title page for the entire forum.

But I'd say, "Come on over!" but don't cut your ties until you're sure you can and want to stay for the long term.

Hi guys/gals,

I'm not about to read thru 62 pages of postings..

Its been 3 months now since the new visa rules, whats been the nett affect to people wanting to go on living in thailand, do they have to leave ? do they have options to stay ? was it all alot of speculation and nothing really change ?

Thanks to reply.

Regards

Arran.

Good question! ... I've been following this thread on and off and have maybe read half of the posts together with about half of the post in the numerous threads along the same lines ... When do we see a report from someone hindered entrance to Thailand because of the new rules?

There seem to be some threads that indicate the rules are being applied at the will of the immigration officers. Some people gettnig 4 stamps, some getting 7 days. Still a bit early.

The real effects will be if they start to put quotas on the tourist visas frmo local consulates / embassies.

There seem to be some threads that indicate the rules are being applied at the will of the immigration officers. Some people gettnig 4 stamps, some getting 7 days. Still a bit early.

The real effects will be if they start to put quotas on the tourist visas frmo local consulates / embassies.

We're really waiting to see if back to back tourist visas will be issued by some neighboring conslutates/embassies. ie. Malaysia and Laos...and secondly, will they be issued after a series of 30-day stamps?

The cost of staying in Thailand on tourist visas, if it proves to be feasible, is going to be a lot higher.

No doubt there is already a lot of action at the borders and embassies/consulates, but the necessary info is taking a while to filter back to this forum.

Edited by tropo

. Searching the internet for comparative costs of living revealed the following up-to-date information on cities around the world. http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving.htm

That's a very interesting web site. There were more than a few surprises on that list.

Yes indeed. Over the last 18 months I've lived in:

Istanbul - COL index = 93.1

Kuala Lumpur - 69.3

London - 110.6

Beijing - 94.9

and

Paris - 93.1

For me, the expense ranking would be London>=Paris>>Istanbul>KL>=Beijing (>>= big difference, >= small difference)

The answer is in the notes on the Mercers site:

"Our unique international basket of goods and services is the result of extensive research of **actual expatriate spending habits**, allowing our indices to reflect a reality-based international expenditure pattern."

(http://www.mercerhr.com/summary.jhtml?idContent=1124760)

It seems the expatriates in question don't switch much to cheaper local alternatives, and live in 'international' compounds - otherwise no way is Beijing, where I paid more than $1-2 for restaurant meals & $400 a month for a central, 2 bed modern apartment - more expensive than Paris, where you struggle to get a coffee/grungy studio for those prices. On the other hand, one of the restaurants in Beijing I went to did have a rat. It would probably have discouraged most expats, but it wasn't at all aggressive and made quite a nice conversation piece.

I'd guess the London vs Paris differences mainly reflect city centre rents. There are many more apartment blocks in central areas of Paris than London, & I think this means that renting in a 'comparable' location is cheaper.

Apparently the Mercers index is designed to help companies to work out Cost of Living allowances for expats. So if you can get a gig in Beijing, and don't mind slumming it a bit, you could save a hel_l of a lot ;-)

by the way they recckon samui is the most expensive place in thailand.

and being here i believe it...

You might be right, but I did notice in that marvelous shopping complex, Tecco Rotat, Chang beer at 17 baht per can if you buy a carton. Adjusting for the smaller volume (330ml as opposed to 375mm, which is usual here in Australia) that's still half the price of Australian VB, and it's stronger as well :o .

6 days into the new year and still no news on whether any one has been refused entry or tourist visas after a run of entry stamps.

Is this not happening or have they all left the country already?

:o looks like this is being inforced. just entered Thailand via Bangkok airport yesterday (jan 6). This is my 6th entry in Thailand since October. The custom officer checked all yellow marked VOA since Octoner and made a rather long calculation of number of days on a simple piece of paper. I took quite a while. got my visa since i was totalling less than 90 days, but they seem to look at inforcing the rules... nothing conputerized though even at the Suvanabum airport..

6 days into the new year and still no news on whether any one has been refused entry or tourist visas after a run of entry stamps.

Is this not happening or have they all left the country already?

:o looks like this is being inforced. just entered Thailand via Bangkok airport yesterday (jan 6). This is my 6th entry in Thailand since October. The custom officer checked all yellow marked VOA since Octoner and made a rather long calculation of number of days on a simple piece of paper. I took quite a while. got my visa since i was totalling less than 90 days, but they seem to look at inforcing the rules... nothing conputerized though even at the Suvanabum airport..

This is very significant information.

Was your wait at the Immigration counters much longer than usual, or were there more officers working?

This is my 6th entry in Thailand since October. The custom officer checked all yellow marked VOA since Octoner and made a rather long calculation of number of days on a simple piece of paper. I took quite a while. got my visa since i was totalling less than 90 days, but they seem to look at inforcing the rules... nothing conputerized though even at the Suvanabum airport..

What did the tally paper add up to be?

If it was over 60 days, were you stamped in for a full 30 days VOA?

This is my 6th entry in Thailand since October. The custom officer checked all yellow marked VOA since Octoner and made a rather long calculation of number of days on a simple piece of paper. I took quite a while. got my visa since i was totalling less than 90 days, but they seem to look at inforcing the rules... nothing conputerized though even at the Suvanabum airport..

What did the tally paper add up to be?

If it was over 60 days, were you stamped in for a full 30 days VOA?

I was 65 days since October and I got 30 days (totalling 95 days if i stayed until 1st week of feb). so not conclusive .. but thy are adding the days... and do check.