Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

6 days into the new year and still no news on whether any one has been refused entry or tourist visas after a run of entry stamps.

Is this not happening or have they all left the country already?

:o looks like this is being inforced. just entered Thailand via Bangkok airport yesterday (jan 6). This is my 6th entry in Thailand since October. The custom officer checked all yellow marked VOA since Octoner and made a rather long calculation of number of days on a simple piece of paper. I took quite a while. got my visa since i was totalling less than 90 days, but they seem to look at inforcing the rules... nothing conputerized though even at the Suvanabum airport..

This is very significant information.

Was your wait at the Immigration counters much longer than usual, or were there more officers working?

It was 11 pm and most custom counters wereworking. no long queue. only 2 to 3 pax max per queue- the check by the customer officer took much longer than usual. a good 10 mn. He didn't say a word, ask any question, nor gave any warning or advise ... :D

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my 6th entry in Thailand since October. The custom officer checked all yellow marked VOA since Octoner and made a rather long calculation of number of days on a simple piece of paper. I took quite a while. got my visa since i was totalling less than 90 days, but they seem to look at inforcing the rules... nothing conputerized though even at the Suvanabum airport..

What did the tally paper add up to be?

If it was over 60 days, were you stamped in for a full 30 days VOA?

I was 65 days since October and I got 30 days (totalling 95 days if i stayed until 1st week of feb). so not conclusive .. but thy are adding the days... and do check.

This maybe an indication that the 90 days is an approximate maximum only.

This visa run situation is basically farcical. It's clearly been a loophole in the legislation. I mean, what sensible arrangements would require people to waste a whole day or more of their lives just to renew a visa.

Since visiting Thailand as a 20 year-old many years ago, the free 30 day visas have been sufficient for me. I've usually been visiting other countries in the region, such as Cambodia and Nepal, always passing through Bangkok on the way.

I year ago (a bit more) I travelled from Bankok to Siem Reap by mini-bus. The bus picked up all the passengers from their respective hotels in Bangkok. It seemed to me there was going to be a problem with the baggage. The bus didn't seem to have enough storage space.

I was wrong. There was plenty of room for baggage. Half the passengers didn't have any. Sitting next to me was a young American lady in her 20's. To start a conversation, I asked her, how come she was travelling so light. I was surprised at the answer. She wasn't in fact going to Siem Reap. She was just going to the border, Poipet, to renew her visa.

Now that border is a pretty congested place. You don't just nip in and out. It was dusty and hot and there were long queues.

I couldn't help thinking, there must be a better way to renew your visa.

I suppose, in retrospect, I could argue that that young American lady hadn't wasted a day of her life just to renew a visa. She'd had the experience of speaking to me :o .

This is my 6th entry in Thailand since October. The custom officer checked all yellow marked VOA since Octoner and made a rather long calculation of number of days on a simple piece of paper. I took quite a while. got my visa since i was totalling less than 90 days, but they seem to look at inforcing the rules... nothing conputerized though even at the Suvanabum airport..

What did the tally paper add up to be?

If it was over 60 days, were you stamped in for a full 30 days VOA?

I was 65 days since October and I got 30 days (totalling 95 days if i stayed until 1st week of feb). so not conclusive .. but thy are adding the days... and do check.

This maybe an indication that the 90 days is an approximate maximum only.

Yes think so too. Will check further when I exit the country at the end of the week and come back in 2 weeks :o

I suppose, in retrospect, I could argue that that young American lady hadn't wasted a day of her life just to renew a visa. She'd had the experience of speaking to me :D .

And.....?? :o

It's taking a long time now to answer posts in this thread. Maybe because there are over 900 replies.

And...??? This was just a throw-away line that appealed to my vanity :D . It wasn't intended to be a preface to any anecdote about a possible sexual encounter I might have had with a young American lady.

I merely make the comment that it seems a bit senseless of the Thai authorities to impose on ordinary, decent tourists such requirements that have them making frequent trips out of the country just to renew their visa. What's the purpose?

I can only assume that it's a control device to keep out undesirables; people who might be engaging in some sort of illicit activity; drug running; pimping, or any sort of work without a work permit. Unfortunately, innocent people who's only sin is perhaps earning a few baht teaching English privately, or who are simply on an extended holiday where life is good and not too expensive, get inconvenienced.

I recently phoned a Thai Consulate in Australia, to check out the requirements for a retirement visa (from the horse's mouth, so to speak). Apparently, I should start off with a multiple entry visa (which is quite expensive - A$220 or so, from memory) which allows me to stay in Thailand initially up to 3 months. During the first 3 month period, I should transfer the 800k baht to a Thai bank. Before the 90 day period has expired, say on the 89th day, I should leave the country and re-enter, then later apply for a retirement visa, with the immigaration authorities inside Thailand, at some date at least 3 months after the 800k was deposited. From that point on, I simply renew my visa once a year.

I was surprised, however, to learn that on application for a multiple entry visa with a view to retirement, the Thai Consulate would want to see evidence that I have sufficient income to support myself in Thailand, but no figure was specified when I asked. I assume this is some sort of double check. Theoretically, any 50 year old without an income, could scrape together the A$28,000 to satisfy immigration, and then live off whatever work he could get once inside the country.

If the Consulate really said "retirement visa" they were mistaken. What you do is extend your stay in Thailand on the basis of retirement. It is not a visa but a continuation of your multi entry non immigrant O visa entry. There is a retirement visa, type O-A, which can be issued in your home country so it becomes confusing when the wrong terms are used.

If the Consulate really said "retirement visa" they were mistaken. What you do is extend your stay in Thailand on the basis of retirement. It is not a visa but a continuation of your multi entry non immigrant O visa entry. There is a retirement visa, type O-A, which can be issued in your home country so it becomes confusing when the wrong terms are used.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll take whatever option results in the least hassle. It's beginning to sound as though it's an O-A visa with documentary evidence of income, that might be preferrable.

I'll turn up at the Thai Consulate with a bunch of investment certificates, right? :o

Hi,

Well this is my first post here. Sorry if I am off topic or am addressing issues posted elsewhere. The reason I am posting is because I can't seem to find any answers about how to remain in Thailand. I came to Thailand in May 2006 on a 30 day and have been renewing every month since.

My visa expires tommorrow on the 10th of January. I went to immigration and they said I can get a 7 day extension. THey also said I can get a three month Tourist visa in Vientiene Laos or Rangoon, Myramar.

I think going to Vientiene by train+bus etc. is the best option as flights are all booked up.

Now I want to know if my assertations about getting a Visa in Laos are correct or if I am facing possible problems or denial of a 3 month Tourist Visa. I don't really need more than another three months though because I have business back in Canada to attend to. Currently I have a rental place and personal items furniture etc...etc...and don't want to be displaced without the ability to get my stuff or settle my situation and head back to Canada early.

Does anyone have any sagely advice or is everyone just as confused as me.

CanuckFan :o

Hi,

Well this is my first post here. Sorry if I am off topic or am addressing issues posted elsewhere. The reason I am posting is because I can't seem to find any answers about how to remain in Thailand. I came to Thailand in May 2006 on a 30 day and have been renewing every month since.

My visa expires tommorrow on the 10th of January. I went to immigration and they said I can get a 7 day extension. THey also said I can get a three month Tourist visa in Vientiene Laos or Rangoon, Myramar.

I think going to Vientiene by train+bus etc. is the best option as flights are all booked up.

Now I want to know if my assertations about getting a Visa in Laos are correct or if I am facing possible problems or denial of a 3 month Tourist Visa. I don't really need more than another three months though because I have business back in Canada to attend to. Currently I have a rental place and personal items furniture etc...etc...and don't want to be displaced without the ability to get my stuff or settle my situation and head back to Canada early.

Does anyone have any sagely advice or is everyone just as confused as me.

CanuckFan :o

I just did it last week with no questions asked, be sure you take a copy of your passport and 2 pictures and most of the time if you rush from the overnight train to the consulate you can get your application turned in and then go get a hotel room and wait for one overnight to retrieve your passport with visa.

If you show up on friday you may have to wait till monday to get your passport back and for sure they close all Thai holidays plus any international holidays they choose so be aware when you scedule your trip.

From current reports you should not have any trouble obtaining a tourist visa in Vientiane, except for the crowds. You might have to say a day or two longer than normal but even that may not happen.

Thanks - I am on my way to get the 7 day ext. Then I will head to Vientiane in a few days. It is a relief as I had just heard from some German Falangs living nearbye that I could only go to Singapore and I needed a lawyer and a job offer letter and 30k Baht and and and...

Now, does anyone know what's the best way by land to get there? Train, then bus?

Canuckfan

From current reports you should not have any trouble obtaining a tourist visa in Vientiane, except for the crowds. You might have to say a day or two longer than normal but even that may not happen.

Thanks - I am on my way to get the 7 day ext. Then I will head to Vientiane in a few days. It is a relief as I had just heard from some German Falangs living nearbye that I could only go to Singapore and I needed a lawyer and a job offer letter and 30k Baht and and and...

Now, does anyone know what's the best way by land to get there? Train, then bus?

Canuckfan

1. Drive yourself including over the bridge or at least have a Thai drive you in a private car, Its much easier to cross through the checkpoint this way.

2. Fly

3. Overnight Train, you can lay down and sleep, 2nd class air is usualy better as sometimes the first class hosts drinking parties and in general its dirtier.

4. Direct bus from Bangkok or Udon that crosses border and drops at Vientiane.

When your in Vientiane you will save lots of hassle by renting a motorcycle, its much safer there than Thailand as far as driving with less traffic, better roads, and more cops that keep things slower. Its become much nicer there since my first trip in 2002 and the newer hotels are pretty good, the older ones are still overpriced or just horrible. The best pizza in Southeast Asia is at the Provincial Restraunt by the fountain, The bakery by the fountain is great also, you can find them easily on any map.

don't confuse my reply with the one below about renting a motor bike that not my reply some how they got mixed up mine ends with your neighbor acroos the border usa good luck Ronnie (aznyron)

Hi All,

OK, Well got my 7 day extension cost 1900 Baht - Now I am on my way to Vientiene next week probably leave this weekend or monday. I will keep everyone updated with how everything goes. I will also try the pizza mentioned thanks. Not so worried now.

Canuckfan

OK, Well got my 7 day extension cost 1900 Baht - Now I am on my way to Vientiene next week probably leave this weekend or monday. I will keep everyone updated with how everything goes. I will also try the pizza mentioned thanks. Not so worried now.

Canuckfan

I heard today that a group of about 6 Filipinos all obtained their Tourist Visas this week in Vientiane. Previously they had all been doing border runs.

It seems we are now getting into the area of individual Thai Consulate interpretations of the law. As I mentioned a few posts ago, in the context of an 800k deposit to a Thai bank with a view to retirement in Tahiland, a consulate in Australia advised me they would need to see evidence of a supportable income before issuing me with a multiple entry visa, the first step in this process.

It seems, as with most laws that apply to varying individual circumstances, there's a certain degree of flexibility, perhaps. The abused wife who murders her husband in self-defense, does not get the same penalty as the wife who murders her husband for the insurance payout.

It seems we are now getting into the area of individual Thai Consulate interpretations of the law. As I mentioned a few posts ago, in the context of an 800k deposit to a Thai bank with a view to retirement in Tahiland, a consulate in Australia advised me they would need to see evidence of a supportable income before issuing me with a multiple entry visa, the first step in this process.

It seems, as with most laws that apply to varying individual circumstances, there's a certain degree of flexibility, perhaps. The abused wife who murders her husband in self-defense, does not get the same penalty as the wife who murders her husband for the insurance payout.

It seems there is a lot of talk here on this subject which has been a thorn in the sides of a few I do not see any thing different except they are now going to enforce the law for a retirement visa you need 800k in a thai bank or 65000 a month income quite simple the rest you all know age etc as for the monthly income you must get a letter from your embassy of proof of income and that applies to every year you renew your visa unless you have the 800k in a thai bank you also must have a bank account in thailand showing the funds coming in I failed to mention if you are using a 65000 baht monthly income what I do is go to my bank (thai) and use my atm card and transfer my funds from my usa account to my thai account twice a month I do not bring in 65k every month I just have to show money coming in and get a letter from the bank when you renew your visa' I also recomend you save your atm reciepts when you withdraw cash from the local atm machines it also shows some proof you are bringing money in to thailand It is also helpful if you bring your thai girl friend or wife with you when you go to immigration office and dress respectful no shorts and tank tops wear a collored shirt show some respect and it would also be nice if you brought in a six pack of cold soda for them if in a small office as for bkk or pattaya I would not do that there

so show them evidence

It seems there is a lot of talk here on this subject which has been a thorn in the sides of a few I do not see any thing different except they are now going to enforce the law for a retirement visa you need 800k in a thai bank or 65000 a month income quite simple the rest you all know age etc as for the monthly income you must get a letter from your embassy of proof of income and that applies to every year you renew your visa unless you have the 800k in a thai bank you also must have a bank account in thailand showing the funds coming in I failed to mention if you are using a 65000 baht monthly income what I do is go to my bank (thai) and use my atm card and transfer my funds from my usa account to my thai account twice a month I do not bring in 65k every month I just have to show money coming in and get a letter from the bank when you renew your visa' I also recomend you save your atm reciepts when you withdraw cash from the local atm machines it also shows some proof you are bringing money in to thailand It is also helpful if you bring your thai girl friend or wife with you when you go to immigration office and dress respectful no shorts and tank tops wear a collored shirt show some respect and it would also be nice if you brought in a six pack of cold soda for them if in a small office as for bkk or pattaya I would not do that there

you forgot the backrub

Did you get the visa ?

so show them evidence

I shall and I can. I'm confident I can meet the requirements. I merely make the point that a simple 800k deposit in a Thai bank may not be sufficient in some circumstances, according to variations in the interpretation of the rules by Thai Consulates.

Did you get the visa ?

I haven't applied yet. Making a move to another country with a view to retirement is a big decision. What does one do with all the stuff one has accumulated over the years? I've got big, heavy computers, a huge inkjet printer that weighs as much as 2 bags of cement, a car that attracts significant insurance and road tax premiums, a house that may not be in a suitable condition to rent, etc, etc.

This needs some thought and planning. Should I just sell the car and inkjet printer (I'm into photography) and leave my property and goods in storage, unrented. Should I spend money to upgrade the property for rent?

The older one gets, the more stuff one accumulates. It can sometimes be viewed as a handicap.

I shall and I can. I'm confident I can meet the requirements. I merely make the point that a simple 800k deposit in a Thai bank may not be sufficient in some circumstances, according to variations in the interpretation of the rules by Thai Consulates.

Isnt the 800k only "valid" for the 1st year, and you will have to show either a monthly income of 65k, or a combination of some "lump sum" AND a monthly income to make up the balance of 800k a year in subequent years?

For example.......... you leave 400k as the lump sum and then need a monthly income of 33k

Penkoprod

you forgot the backrub

it those back rubs my lady gives me is what keeps me here no american girl or uk female will do it for you amen

The older one gets, the more stuff one accumulates. It can sometimes be viewed as a handicap.

sell and replace in Thailand

too easy

My current computer is a 64 bit dual core system with 8GB of RAM and 600GB of hard drive storage. My hi fi system is very high quality but 20 years old. I have hundreds of old fashioned LPs which I think might eventually become quite valuable, not to mention hundreds of books, many unread and thousands of slides and negatives, some going back to the days my father was a school boy. My printer cost me around $5,000 and weighs a ton and my upright piano even more. My 36" TV is obsolete but still going strong and providing me with an excellent picture.

All this stuff has little resale value but is still serving me fine. Some items are irreplaceable. Other items I would suffer a big loss on the sale of, and whilst replacement in Thailand would result in an upgrade, it would be a major additional cost.

Trying to get a good price for such items would take time and would be troublesome.

Too easy you say! :o

The TV will not be of much use without conversion (which may not be an option) as the PAL system is used here rather than NTSC. If printer uses ac motors there could also be a frequency issue as 50Hz is used here rather than 60Hz in USA (which could mean slower motors/clocks). Can your turntables work on 50Hz? The AC voltage is 230v so you will have to use transforms for all electric items. As this is a very humid climate the shelf life of books is not great. Very few places will have central air conditioning so you may have to keep one running just to take care of books and slides - or at least a dehumidifier.

Everything you bring will be subject to customs duty.