small money and being young but happy

phuketruski

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There seems to be a certain amount of resentment from the older contingent towards those who choose to enjoy their prime years rather than working like a dog until they're too old to enjoy the spoils.

Leave the protestant work ethic in the west, chaps, and try not to envy those who're enjoying what you missed out on.

My old man just rang me first thing he asked was if im working? why im not working? what im doin all day? why im here in thailand?

little does he know im living with a thai model in her early 30's and she cooking for me and buying me new cloths, and im not paying her a dime.

Somehow I'm in the wrong?

Is the model post-op the reason why you are too ashamed to tell your father ?

definatly a chick.

and she did just bring be a bottle of blend then fell asleep leaving me the full bottle .

Edited by phuketruski

Yeah and in twenty years those young guys will have no career, sweet f all saved and be well on their way to being a burden on someone else. It's a fact of life that people have to work and contribute to society.

There is the short term picture and the long term view.

try being 23 years old when a GFC hit and your applying for 50 jobs a day with no response then you would see where im coming from.

What you are seeing is in great part the result of three dynamics:

1) The Information Technology Revolution

No longer do the more advanced nations have a hold on professions, technology, skills, or trades. Workers from all nations are competing for the same jobs. Companies in all nations are providing the products and services in demand and they are doing it for less cost than doing it in the more advanced nations. As you have seen many advanced nation firms are producing their products and services overseas for less cost. Lower cost translates to competitive advantage. Why should a firm pay the higher costs of more advanced nations when they could get the same job done at lower costs in the lesser advanced nations. Don’t give that old cry about better quality in the more advanced nations—quality is the result of the control system implemented and not the place of birth of the worker; besides, many lesser-advanced nation workers may have a better work ethic than the more advanced nation worker who believes they are entitled and should get more pay because of where they were born.

2) The poor planning on the parts of many more advanced country governments

More advanced nations need to provide the proper education and training for the changing job requirements for new age workers as well as incentives for firms to stay and employ locals. In great part, they have not made enough effort in either area. One problem is more and more people are taking training or attending universities and to accommodate the increases in student levels the learning institutions are dumbing-down their requirements; thus, delivering lesser skilled graduates. A bachelor’s degree today may provide no more real education than a high school diploma did a generation or two ago. Similarly, a master degree may be no more valuable than a bachelor degree before. The US has an unemployment rate of 5%, but the rate in the EU is around 11%—with notable exceptions in Switzerland, Germany, UK, Netherlands, where the rate runs from 3.2% to 6.8% respectively; and the lackluster Spanish rate of 21.2%. However, even in Spain, more than 75% of the workforce is employed. And, to some extent those employed are in many instances underemployed—lesser skilled jobs or less than full-time work.

3) The Global Financial Crisis

The financial doldrums, in which most of the world finds itself; is in great part due to poor business and government decisions. However, the world economy will invariably right itself in some areas, as it has in the past. The problem will be if your country or business is not righted. So, you can make the choice of the grasshopper and come to Thailand and live the easy life—if you can—or be the ant and work hard for the fewer jobs that do exist—which necessarily means you need to get more education. That education may be trade or skills training, or university level professional training. In either case, you need to develop skills not every other person has. If you can train for your job in six months; you can be replaced by someone with six months experience. If you can proceduralize your job--you know, write it down in steps--you can be replaced by anyone who can read.

Why should you wait all your life so you can retire and have fun? Life is for living and we only get one chance at it!

Don't wait until you are 60 years old plus.Do it now while you are young! 30,40,50 great ages to come to Thailand and explore.Don't wait until you have white hair ( or no hair )

You can live on very little money in Thailand and the best things are totally Free! It doesn't matter what people tell you because at the end of the day it's all about being happy!

F.J wub.png x

There seems to be a certain amount of resentment from the older contingent towards those who choose to enjoy their prime years rather than working like a dog until they're too old to enjoy the spoils.

Leave the protestant work ethic in the west, chaps, and try not to envy those who're enjoying what you missed out on.

You know, you don't have to slave if you have a skill in demand. It's called proper planning, even in your youth. I traveled the world starting at 20, but I had a good job, got paid well, and did it all on per diem with expenses paid. I still travel the world some 50 years later, but now I pay the expenses and I can afford it because I did work and save when I was young.

Working can also be fun if you have some good education.

I would get bored out if I had to wait for my GF to come home everyday.

You should at least learn Thai or something.

As my dear mother used to say, only boring people get bored.

Guess your mother is right.

Some people have interesting hobbies or interesting stories to tell.

But we're talking about people who can't get a decent job back home. They're hardly going to be contributing to a pension either way, are they?

Can't get a decent job back home? Why not? What disability does he have beside a lack of work ethic and ambition? To me it just sounds like an excuse you give your Dear Old Mom for living at home long past your age for free and not having to get up in the morning.

I personally would probably pay a Son like that some weekly money a week to leave to, and hope when he comes home after seeing how the world really works he has grown up some.

I wonder how many people look back on their lives and think 'I wish I'd spent less time enjoying myself, and more time sensibly making plans for the future'?

Probably most of them. Look at the posters herein who are living on a pittance. I'll wager they wish they had better planned their retirement.

Having a job and planning your future is not a dumb thing to do. You can do that and have a great time. I know, I did. I look back at my life and wonder why I did some of those crazy things, but that is much better than looking back and wishing I had done them.

But we're talking about people who can't get a decent job back home. They're hardly going to be contributing to a pension either way, are they?

Can't get a decent job back home? Why not? What disability does he have beside a lack of work ethic and ambition? To me it just sounds like an excuse you give your Dear Old Mom for living at home long past your age for free and not having to get up in the morning.

I personally would probably pay a Son like that some weekly money a week to leave to, and hope when he comes home after seeing how the world really works he has grown up some.

Why are you asking me? I'm not one of the people in question.

I wonder how many people look back on their lives and think 'I wish I'd spent less time enjoying myself, and more time sensibly making plans for the future'?

Anybody that looks back at their lives and thinks "I wish ..." has problems right there.

So you are saying a young lad who cannot work a job to pay the bills/buy a house is better off in Thailand.

How does he support himself in Thailand ?

well if hes young people will often see hes poor and opted for a different lifestyle and maybe let him couchsurf for long periods.

Yeah, great life-plan, dependence on the pity of others

its called networking through social media.

grandpa

You are not my grandson, thank goodness. No matter how you contact them, it is still being dependent upon someone else to take care of you either for free or for a reduced fee. In either event, not a very proud position to inhabit.

So you are saying a young lad who cannot work a job to pay the bills/buy a house is better off in Thailand.

well if hes young people will often see hes poor and opted for a different lifestyle and maybe let him couchsurf for long periods.

grandpa

Other people might call it bludging.

Still there is one upside to it....you're in Thailand...not sucking the Australian taxpayers teat.

I'm sure that will change though if you get crook or need looking after in some way and come crying back to daddy and help from the nanny state.

you might be in for a shock when you re sign for the dole Newstart allowance.

And you will.

grandpa

Other people might call it bludging.

Still there is one upside to it....you're in Thailand...not sucking the Australian taxpayers teat.

I'm sure that will change though if you get crook or need looking after in some way and come crying back to daddy and help from the nanny state.

you might be in for a shock when you re sign for the dole Newstart allowance.

And you will.

Not yet you mean ?

I feel sorry for his father to be honest...

I think really what it comes down to is securing for your future. I am 27 years old and lived on and off in Thailand and Laos from the time I was 21 until 26. I got by by teaching English. I soon realized that if I continued down the path a lot longer, I was risking doing damage to the prospect of a real career and making myself into something "acceptable" at first I was stubborn didnt want to do it because I thought "why should I change if I am happy, I am making enough money to survive and I am content" as I got older I realized that I didnt want to end up with no prospects and living in Thailand. I am married to a lovely Thai woman and both of us understand that the position we were in lacked stability. So what, Thailand will always be there..The most important thing right now is finding that Stability I mentioned earlier and for better or for worse, Thailand doesn't really offer it to someone of our age...who want to get ahead in life..I had a hard time rectifying that one in my head, but I ended up with this motivator at the end of the day.......in the future, Laos is where I want to end up. I have a dream and an idea for a business there, I met with lawyer to gather information as to how I would go about doing this. I am going to work hard, save money in the United States until I feel confident I have gathered all the necessary tools and skills to make it happen...While I am doing this, my wife will get a green card and eventually a passport, therefore allowing her access to America ANYTIME free and clear, after this point, if all still looks good, I will proceed with my dream......

Those 4 years in Thailand and Laos, I learned so much about myself and the world. I took in so much, learned two new languages (ok, well Thai and Lao) and gained a great deal of knowledge about a world very different from my own...I also learned that you can't always get what you want, at least not right away, I have the greatest confidence that by stepping away from the place and establishing myself, I will be that much more ready to take it step further when I return in the future.. I think the beauty of being 27 is that even if I don't tackle this until another 5-10 years go by, I will still be relatively young when I do.

Edited by Smurkster

Can't or won't get a decent job back home? I am not sure what you consider a decent job, but I'll bet you have to have decent qualifications to get it. Most of the people I see complaining about no work have no skills.

Can't or won't get a decent job back home? I am not sure what you consider a decent job, but I'll bet you have to have decent qualifications to get it. Most of the people I see complaining about no work have no skills.

the whole "Skill set" thing can sometimes be over talked up..

What I mean by this is, by having a certain skill set, one is in a position to potentially get a better job. BUT there are plenty of jobs out there that people don't neccesarilly HAVE to have great skills, many blue collar jobs. The sad thing is, nowadays, a person can't really support their family working at grocery store or a restaurant or in retail for example. 50 years ago, you could get by making a living without having any skills per se..that really has changed and I think that is unfair..

Bernie Sanders said something to the effect of "No one who works 40 hours a week deserves to be living in poverty" and you know he is right...this notion that people don't deserve a decent livable wage because they work a job with little to no skills is Bulls***. If you show up, work hard, You deserve to be able to get by...

It's not a slight to those more "Skilled workers'' sure maybe they deserve to get paid a little bit more, but can't shun and marginalize the "less skilled"

and no ambition, motivation or vision of the future.

Taken into account how many Western companies make business with Asia today, experiences in these countries might count as skills. There's nothing wrong to travel in the East when you're young (I did the same) Maybe you want a job in the tourist industry?

Anyway, after a certain period you should go home for study and working. You simply can't compete on Asian labour markets, any country will say "Natives first"

You know, you don't have to slave if you have a skill in demand. It's called proper planning, even in your youth. I traveled the world starting at 20, but I had a good job, got paid well, and did it all on per diem with expenses paid. I still travel the world some 50 years later, but now I pay the expenses and I can afford it because I did work and save when I was young.

After i finished my studies my first international job was at age 22 in China, and havent looked back since, lived and worked in over 20 countries, same as you...would i have done all this without the education/skill set i aquired/developed...no way and i havent missed out enjoying anything, the ride has been a blast

Reading the OP posts why am i reminded of this verse

"Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find 10 years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

Edited by Soutpeel

Reading the OP posts why am i reminded of this verse

"Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find 10 years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

"Because you ain't ready to die"?

Its true a cousin of mine living in LOS for years with wife kids, goes balls up back home, nowhere to live no property at 50 = disaster

Unless you are a young guy with a good plan for making good money in LOS forget it and work in the west and come over when you are cash and asset rich and NEVER invest in Thailand you are guaranteed to lose.

The system is all wrong though, who decided we should work 5 or more days out of 7 a week, crazy. Max should be 4. I reckon a lot of guys on here have worked too hard for too long, where they are now limited by health issues, dodgy knees, heart etc.

Someone mentioned respect by the girlfriend. A lot of older guys on here will be sponsoring their girlfriends (employees), there isn't a lot of respect in that.

My view is the op needs to work to earn money to live or win the lottery which could include a wealthy Thai woman. Maybe not now but in few months or year. As for me I'm trying the work UK part of the year and live in Thailand part of the year, works ok so far.