small money and being young but happy

phuketruski

But we're talking about people who can't get a decent job back home. They're hardly going to be contributing to a pension either way, are they?

Can't or won't get a decent job back home? I am not sure what you consider a decent job, but I'll bet you have to have decent qualifications to get it. Most of the people I see complaining about no work have no skills.

the whole "Skill set" thing can sometimes be over talked up..

What I mean by this is, by having a certain skill set, one is in a position to potentially get a better job. BUT there are plenty of jobs out there that people don't neccesarilly HAVE to have great skills, many blue collar jobs. The sad thing is, nowadays, a person can't really support their family working at grocery store or a restaurant or in retail for example. 50 years ago, you could get by making a living without having any skills per se..that really has changed and I think that is unfair..

Bernie Sanders said something to the effect of "No one who works 40 hours a week deserves to be living in poverty" and you know he is right...this notion that people don't deserve a decent livable wage because they work a job with little to no skills is Bulls***. If you show up, work hard, You deserve to be able to get by...

It's not a slight to those more "Skilled workers'' sure maybe they deserve to get paid a little bit more, but can't shun and marginalize the "less skilled"

Unskilled people can get by working on minimum wage. However, they will not have all the modern conveniences/luxuries. They may need to share accommodation and household goods, eat mostly basic foods, do without vehicles, and wear hand-me-down clothes as many Thais, Filipinos and citizens of other countries do.

However, you have to understand, if your job skills are limited, you will not necessarily keep your job. If someone can learn your job in a week, you can be replaced by someone with one week's experience. If someone can write your job into procedural steps, you can be replaced by anyone who can read.

The more skills you have, the fewer people can replace you. So, it's your choice. If you are happy flipping burgers at Mickey Dees, you better hope that pimply-faced teenager doesn't become your boss, or that robots don't start flipping burgers.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The system is all wrong though, who decided we should work 5 or more days out of 7 a week, crazy. Max should be 4. I reckon a lot of guys on here have worked too hard for too long, where they are now limited by health issues, dodgy knees, heart etc.

Someone mentioned respect by the girlfriend. A lot of older guys on here will be sponsoring their girlfriends (employees), there isn't a lot of respect in that.

My view is the op needs to work to earn money to live or win the lottery which could include a wealthy Thai woman. Maybe not now but in few months or year. As for me I'm trying the work UK part of the year and live in Thailand part of the year, works ok so far.

Working hard or not dodgy knees, health issues, hearts get everyone in the end....its called aging

But we're talking about people who can't get a decent job back home. They're hardly going to be contributing to a pension either way, are they?

Can't or won't get a decent job back home? I am not sure what you consider a decent job, but I'll bet you have to have decent qualifications to get it. Most of the people I see complaining about no work have no skills.

the whole "Skill set" thing can sometimes be over talked up..

What I mean by this is, by having a certain skill set, one is in a position to potentially get a better job. BUT there are plenty of jobs out there that people don't neccesarilly HAVE to have great skills, many blue collar jobs. The sad thing is, nowadays, a person can't really support their family working at grocery store or a restaurant or in retail for example. 50 years ago, you could get by making a living without having any skills per se..that really has changed and I think that is unfair..

Bernie Sanders said something to the effect of "No one who works 40 hours a week deserves to be living in poverty" and you know he is right...this notion that people don't deserve a decent livable wage because they work a job with little to no skills is Bulls***. If you show up, work hard, You deserve to be able to get by...

It's not a slight to those more "Skilled workers'' sure maybe they deserve to get paid a little bit more, but can't shun and marginalize the "less skilled"

Unskilled people can get by working on minimum wage. However, they will not have all the modern conveniences/luxuries. They may need to share accommodation and household goods, eat mostly basic foods, do without vehicles, and wear hand-me-down clothes as many Thais, Filipinos and citizens of other countries do.

However, you have to understand, if your job skills are limited, you will not necessarily keep your job. If someone can learn your job in a week, you can be replaced by someone with one week's experience. If someone can write your job into procedural steps, you can be replaced by anyone who can read.

The more skills you have, the fewer people can replace you. So, it's your choice. If you are happy flipping burgers at Mickey Dees, you better hope that pimply-faced teenager doesn't become your boss, or that robots don't start flipping burgers.

The other thing, even people with skills, need to keep up with those skills and develop new ones otherwise you can end up on the dung heap as well...at least thats what i have found in other people

i have always made a point of keeping upto date with things technically and trying to get new skills

The system is all wrong though, who decided we should work 5 or more days out of 7 a week, crazy. Max should be 4. I reckon a lot of guys on here have worked too hard for too long, where they are now limited by health issues, dodgy knees, heart etc.

Someone mentioned respect by the girlfriend. A lot of older guys on here will be sponsoring their girlfriends (employees), there isn't a lot of respect in that.

My view is the op needs to work to earn money to live or win the lottery which could include a wealthy Thai woman. Maybe not now but in few months or year. As for me I'm trying the work UK part of the year and live in Thailand part of the year, works ok so far.

Working hard or not dodgy knees, health issues, hearts get everyone in the end....its called aging
Yes the point is it's better to enjoy Thailand when you are younger and fitter, we've all heard of guys who have worked hard all their life, retired and died.

So you are saying a young lad who cannot work a job to pay the bills/buy a house is better off in Thailand.

How does he support himself in Thailand ?

well if hes young people will often see hes poor and opted for a different lifestyle and maybe let him couchsurf for long periods.

He might be better off in Thailand, but Thailand would be better off without him and his kind. To me, "different lifestyle" means idle layabout. Some of us actually put in years of graft to be able to live here.

while I can understand what this young man is all about you cannot live on next to nothing in Thailand you must have a source of income bumming around and living off others is not the right thing to do ,I am not a killjoy but there are so many bummers in Thailand as it is some living off immoral earnings I am not about to encourage this young man to do the same .

The young guy that this thread is about is not bumming around, he is making money playing Poker online.

A lot of young guys do that here in Thailand.

A lot of young guys do other online work.

And despite what some of the old boys think, there are many ways to make a lot of money online, not every person is but definitely some people are.

So you are saying a young lad who cannot work a job to pay the bills/buy a house is better off in Thailand.

How does he support himself in Thailand ?

well if hes young people will often see hes poor and opted for a different lifestyle and maybe let him couchsurf for long periods.

He might be better off in Thailand, but Thailand would be better off without him and his kind. To me, "different lifestyle" means idle layabout. Some of us actually put in years of graft to be able to live here.

So because you had to graft everyone else does?

What about people who will never need to graft? What about those of us who will never do a single day of hard labour? Or those of us who made enough money by the time we were 30 to retire as multi millionaires?

Some people are born into wealth and go on to inherit it.

Nothing wrong with that unless you are the jealous type that can't accept that some people are just more fortunate than you.

Basically, you should feel happy for people who are luckier in life, instead of being a misery guts just because you had to work hard all your life.

Yeah and in twenty years those young guys will have no career, sweet f all saved and be well on their way to being a burden on someone else. It's a fact of life that people have to work and contribute to society.

There is the short term picture and the long term view.

+1 ^^^.

Unfortunately this is the case.

I and many others have worked long and hard (I and many others still work long and hard) to get into the position of being able to live in a tropical paradise with a lovely lady.

Whilst I still work, I can pick and choose the contracts I take and those I reject (Riyadh have finally stopped phoning).

I have a home I could only dream of owning in the UK (yes, I know, before anyone pipes up), a sensible savings plan and a job I actually enjoy (except when it's hot, windy, muddy, dusty, wet or all of the above).

Life is as close to perfect as it can get. But I'm not 20 something.

And on the flip side people like myself who has lived in Thailand since the age of 29 have also done relatively well,but again I'm no English teacher or 8000 baht a month cheap skate.

I have been in rotational work for a long while and this affords me to return home every 21/21 or 28/28.

This current downturn is biting but it would be biting more if all my bills were in the UK.

I never moved to Thailand with the idea of lowering my standards of living and I haven't,but when times do become harder I have no issues kicking back in the sun with my feet up and tightening the purse strings,this is made slightly more difficult as I have kids but I'm better off in Thailand than the UK in times of austerity.

Working rotational work is an exception and one can't really claim it as "working in Thailand" nor can one really claim to "Live" anywhere when they spend half their time away from the home...

Always considered it a victimizing excuse, the youthful accusations that today's old-timers "had it so easy" compared to the impossible situation of today's youngsters who say they face dead-end jobs, unobtainable good employment, unaffordable housing and a generally hostile cost of survival.

I've seen many BARELY OUT OF SCHOOL who feel entitled to immediate six-figure salaries, five bedroom mansions, latest-model Beemer, 10-foot TV screens, the latest $1,000 smartphones, two vacations a year, no-hour workweeks etc. etc.

Unable to have these 'basic' needs met, many are returning disgusted to live with those lucky moms and dads who have all that cash they picked off trees during their easy times.

This old-timer cruised through life by working at starvation wages to gain experience in his chosen field for six years before matching his meager military salary on discharge, banged away at three fix-me-up homes before affording a three-bedroomer, and generally driving older, practical used cars.

Most of my old fart friends share similar histories.

Yeah and in twenty years those young guys will have no career, sweet f all saved and be well on their way to being a burden on someone else. It's a fact of life that people have to work and contribute to society.

+1 ^^^.

Unfortunately this is the case.

I and many others have worked long and hard (I and many others still work long and hard) to get into the position of being able to live in a tropical paradise with a lovely lady.

Whilst I still work, I can pick and choose the contracts I take and those I reject (Riyadh have finally stopped phoning).

I have a home I could only dream of owning in the UK (yes, I know, before anyone pipes up), a sensible savings plan and a job I actually enjoy (except when it's hot, windy, muddy, dusty, wet or all of the above).

Life is as close to perfect as it can get. But I'm not 20 something.

I think if he wants to live in Thailand and be happy (for now) good luck to him....some people can live on the cheap, and be quite content. You have worked all your life, fine, I have too, until I said to myself "I have had enough of busting my balls", I'm off. But all people are different I guess, and seem to get by on little or nothing, or maybe he has a rich family that can give him money too live. I know a few like that here, their parents have a business, and give them 'pocket money' to go live their dream because the parents grafted and want their boy to be happy.

Sorry, but just because you are a moderator, doesn't mean your life is the only way to live.

I wish I had had the b@lls to do it when I was a puppy.....

i can get buy on a few satos , noodles, coffee, satay sticks in a girls bed or on a mates floor or on a beach.

my father gives me 25 aussie dollars a week not much i know but its better than nuthing.

Well done mate, I would love to have done like you...but I was overly worried about the future at the time, and chickened out. But while I was working away, I saw some of my friends flying off to Thailand, Spain, buying and selling Baccy pouches, and cigarettes on the black market. I must admit I was a little envious of their travelling and their carefree attitude to 'work'.....it's usually the stuffy workaholics that moan about people having a carefree attitude, and try to put a damper on it by saying you will never survive later on in life, but I can see you surviving living on a nice beach, in a hammock, with a beer and a couple of da ladies.....damn it, I think I will join you...lol

Good luck to you, I say....

Always considered it a victimizing excuse, the youthful accusations that today's old-timers "had it so easy" compared to the impossible situation of today's youngsters who say they face dead-end jobs, unobtainable good employment, unaffordable housing and a generally hostile cost of survival.

I've seen many BARELY OUT OF SCHOOL who feel entitled to immediate six-figure salaries, five bedroom mansions, latest-model Beemer, 10-foot TV screens, the latest $1,000 smartphones, two vacations a year, no-hour workweeks etc. etc.

Unable to have these 'basic' needs met, many are returning disgusted to live with those lucky moms and dads who have all that cash they picked off trees during their easy times.

This old-timer cruised through life by working at starvation wages to gain experience in his chosen field for six years before matching his meager military salary on discharge, banged away at three fix-me-up homes before affording a three-bedroomer, and generally driving older, practical used cars.

Seriously? You're talking about how you were able to own four different houses to justify how you had it tougher than today's youth?

You're so out of touch it's laughable.

Seriously? You're talking about how you were able to own four different houses to justify how you had it tougher than today's youth?

Not "owned"....mortgaged...and Yup, three extremely cheap fix-me-upper "homes" I worked on day and night for 10 years that today's youngsters wouldn't be caught dead in.

Not "owned"....mortgaged...and Yup, three extremely cheap fix-me-upper "homes" I worked on day and night for 10 years that today's youngsters wouldn't be caught dead in.

Most young people these days wouldn't even dream of being able to get a mortgage. Check your privilege before you post silly things like that.

Most young people these days wouldn't even dream of being able to get a mortgage. Check your privilege before you post silly things like that.

Yup...silly. Describes me to a "T". Silly, but polite, tho. You know, don't be insulting...

bye

mate have u got any idea a fix me up home is worth in any city in australia?

your looking at 500000 dollars this is 2015 not the 70s and 80s.

Concede your point. Probably couldn't have done it either living in Toronto (but know people who have.)

But your comparison is a little skewed, tho, mixing apples w/oranges. My 1st fix-me-upper (in 1972) was a cheap $45,000...but my salary didn't break $7,500/yr until '78, either.

If you aren't there, you certainly won't get one.

In the UK, even unemployed people get NI payments made for them.

Maybe times have changed, but when I was there, if you really wanted a job, you could get one ..... start at the bottom and work your way up.

Has something changed? is it the employment market or the work ethic?

Giving up in your 20s just looks like an excuse to me.

things changed , the baby boomers acumulated all the wealth and this generation is left with a downward spiraling economy , high unemployment, rediculous real estate prices, overpopulation and high taxes.

Dunno about the States or UK, but in Germany the baby boomers of the "economic miracle" post-war years are dying off. And they are leaving incredible fortunes in inheritances. Last year alone it was €108bn euros and the trend is upwards. That'll offer a nice retirement to an awful lot of offspring.

Their kids are now lying on the beaches or studying philosophy or whatever, waiting for the inevitable. And they're quite comfortable while doing it as well. They're gambling they won't need a pension and who can blame them? I am happy enough not to envy them or judge them - we are all the architects of our own happiness, and I grasped that early on.

I've managed to live and do most of what I wanted in life, as and when I wanted. That obviously meant starting at the bottom wherever I went, because I "left" school at 15. Been selling my labor to the man on a daily basis ever since. (Back then everyone forecast destitution and failure for me but school was absolutely the wrong place for me at that age. Later in life, in my late 40s, I studied for a degree, cos that was the right time for me). Usually rose quickly to the decent and lucrative positions cos I ain't fallen on my ass as they say in Joimany.

I've also had long periods of "dossing". I can remember feeling grateful for 2 years of unemployment (yes, drawing social security - that's what it's there for) in my late 20s - because that was a luxury older generations never had. They grafted like mad till 65, got a gold watch, minimal pension and died at 67. There was I, able to take a break, and work some things through and come up with some meaning to life. Wow! There were also other extended periods "between jobs".

But I must says the school of life in that form, without structures and family etc. can be very very hard, especially as you get older. I never recommend my path to anyone else! It's worked for me though, despite some pretty dire times.

Also have to add that I never started a family despite countless loves, long and short term, and even a marriage. (Too self centered to be a decent father) As such I was only responsible to myself. It also means I'll die fairly alone. But I accept that and I'm comfortable with it for now. I often joke that I'm just a drone looking for a warm place to die. But it's actually very close to the truth.

Fortunately my pension contributions go back for decades so my pension'll be OK when I chuck my hand in in a couple of years. It's perhaps the only thing I've done "right" in my life and boy am I glad for it now! I aim to spend a fair bit of it in LOS and SEA.

I always advise youngsters to get a pension plan of some kind sorted. For some it's the inheritance but there's no hope of that where I come from!

One day 15+ years ago, I was casually traveling in Thailand and was on a domestic ThaiAir flight. I was talking with my seat mates who were a Thai-Swiss couple living in Switzerland and visiting her parents in Thailand. I was on the aisle seat and across from me was a Thai person who said nothing for the entire flight. As we were getting off the plane I started to speak with the Thai person -- turns out he was the head of a large Thai Foundation under Patronage of HM the King and had been following the entire conversation, and asked me if I wanted a job as a volunteer as he heard I had skills that he could use. As far as Thailand goes and elsewhere, that changed my life

So you can never tell -- the OP is not following conventional wisdom but who knows? -- sh8*&t happens when you aren't sitting at home and even maybe for a young guy.

Don't listen to all these grumpy old gits who to tell you work to hard all your life, save up and then when you are able to retire you get cancer or heart attack or just don't have the physical stamina to do all the things you wanted to when you were young. The future is uncertain but death is always impending and inevitable and you don't want regrets. Of course if you really enjoy what you are doing in the process of getting it together working towards a future goes without saying, but I have seen to many friends and family who have worked hard to get somewhere and towards the end ask ask themselves <deleted> was this all about?

Exactly this.

I've worked my butt off, secured property, cash reserves and other investments. Another 2 years and I'll be 40 living in Thailand retired and happy.

You only live once, it ain't a dress rehearsal!

Don't listen to all these grumpy old gits who to tell you work to hard all your life, save up and then when you are able to retire you get cancer or heart attack or just don't have the physical stamina to do all the things you wanted to when you were young. The future is uncertain but death is always impending and inevitable and you don't want regrets. Of course if you really enjoy what you are doing in the process of getting it together working towards a future goes without saying, but I have seen to many friends and family who have worked hard to get somewhere and towards the end ask ask themselves <deleted> was this all about?

Exactly this.

I've worked my butt off, secured property, cash reserves and other investments. Another 2 years and I'll be 40 living in Thailand retired and happy.

You only live once, it ain't a dress rehearsal!

Allowed to reboot, and I'd do it your way rather than my "grumpy old grits" way that abhaya describes. This grumpy old grit generally roots for the easiest sailing for young, old or in-between, only resent the self-serving "you had it so easy" assumption. Edited by johnhw

while I can understand what this young man is all about you cannot live on next to nothing in Thailand you must have a source of income bumming around and living off others is not the right thing to do ,I am not a killjoy but there are so many bummers in Thailand as it is some living off immoral earnings I am not about to encourage this young man to do the same .

The young guy that this thread is about is not bumming around, he is making money playing Poker online.

And despite what some of the old boys think, there are many ways to make a lot of money online, not every person is but definitely some people are.

Oh! You mean like the young guy in his 20's here who recently lost his Girl Friend in a sudden death, and his job, but still decided to stay in Thailand with no job or money. Until he got caught selling drugs and having 200 Yaba Pills on him in Pattaya and was sentenced to 50 years in jail.

Yeah! He will get to stay in Thailand a long time and without a job or money. He won't have to worry about his future either as he doesn't have one now. He may even learn another language. But I doubt he is having this so much fun now you have been talking about.

Some are even actors in gay tourism promotional films

Oh! You mean like the young guy in his 20's here who recently lost his Girl Friend in a sudden death, and his job, but still decided to stay in Thailand with no job or money. Until he got caught selling drugs and having 200 Yaba Pills on him in Pattaya and was sentenced to 50 years in jail.

Yeah! He will get to stay in Thailand a long time and without a job or money. He won't have to worry about his future either as he doesn't have one now. He may even learn another language. But I doubt he is having this so much fun now you have been talking about.

What about 60 something year old Sylvester Ancram an african american defence contractor who met a girl from isaan and bought her a motobike, house , and a car only to have it stolen from under his feet leaving him homeless in pattaya for years then less than a week before his pension he dies at the beach?

The hard work really payed off for him didnt it?

You really have no idea, do you?

I am from the US and have played with real estate for years--last purchase was last year, a small fix-me-up foreclosure; spent $35k to buy it, another $35k to fix it up, and sold it for $110k six months later.

So, I checked on Australia; found hundreds of hits for houses/flats/apartments under $100k Aussie http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property-for-sale/Australia.html?sortType=2&maxPrice=100000&currencyCode=AUD&index=660 As I said, try foreclosures or damaged houses for even cheaper prices.

So quit your crying and do something or you'll be an old fart still crying it wasn't fair.

What about 60 something year old Sylvester Ancram an african american defence contractor who met a girl from isaan and bought her a motobike, house , and a car only to have it stolen from under his feet leaving him homeless in pattaya for years then less than a week before his pension he dies at the beach?

He'd be the one that had the option to go back to the USA but instead chose a life of sleeping rough and drinking Lao Khao in Pattaya.

Was this the guy who slept rough opposite Mike shopping mall? I didn't see him last trip, I wondered what the story was.

Guess pukhetruski wants adventures and take the risk. Nothing wrong with this. Farangs should be aware that their economies that they depend on do the same.

I would prefer to die in Thailand, life in the West is no fun anymore if you're not really rich.

Was this the guy who slept rough opposite Mike shopping mall? I didn't see him last trip, I wondered what the story was.

Was a great dude , When u meet people like that and hear there story you begin to live in the moment and learn the future isn't certain.

try being 23 years old when a GFC hit and your applying for 50 jobs a day with no response then you would see where im coming from.

By the time you were 23,you should have had a trade well behind you,or some sort of degree.Having no paper behind you is going to condemn you to real poverty for the rest of you life.I had these decisions to make in my late 30's.Working on constuction sites in my 50's and 60's certainly was going to be hard,so i went back to Oz and cleaned up,just holidaying here.Now here permanant.You gotta look at the big picture.

You gotta get off the East coast,Adelaide,$350k with a pool.Rent out a few rooms.