Window tint percentage?

Badrabbit

I can only give a couple of observations on this tint issue.

Years ago my wife had 'film' fitted to her windscreen as she thought it was beautiful. I drove the car once at night and told her to take it off. It was downright dangerous. Now, I realise it could have ben cheap quality and regarding the percentage of tint - I have no idea, except it must have been high on this tint richter scale.

The point is, like many Thai's I suspect, she had it fitted for cosmetic reasons - not for any practical one. I'm sure that is not the OP's priority.

Secondly, I find these all round heavy tints annoying in trying to drive with courtesy and safety. You simply cannot see the other driver and I suspect many of us have tried to give way etc, but not being able to see if the other driver has acknowledged your intetion.

I have had a Vios for 4 years and it has a very mild tint on all the windows. (Anyone could see me as the driver in any direction, be it back, front or side). It seems sufficient for me, given we all have air-con.

So, the OP simply has to decide what are the main motives for the 'tint'. I would certainly err on the side of caution.

Yep, Emily good points. I completely forgot the eye contact factor that is very important on the road, not to mention hand gestures, the ones that prevent the nasty ones that is...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The laws on car film have been overridden by an official police order stating they are not to be enforced.

I don't care what has been overridden I will do what is safe and legal.

Good for you! If the safety law has been over-ridden, I am amazed, as much of the window tinting in Thailand is downright dangerous.

When I bought my new car 3 years back, the tinting was illegal by my reckoning, and I had it changed to meet Australian and NZ standards.

It was bad enough with motor bikes on my right with headlights totally blocked by their shopping, or driving into an underground car park with poor lighting.

Attached are the standards I followed which are similar to most other countries. You'll just need to skim down to the tinting section.

http://www.wfaanz.org.au/Documents/QLD%20NCOP16_Appendices_V2.0_01Jan2011.pdf

UK tinting law, cars used 1st April 1985 or later, window screen must let in 75% light, front sides 70% no tinting law for rear passenger or rear screen, I will make sure this is what I get here.

Edited by Badrabbit

Just love IMHO mentioning Hyperoptic. This naturally will cause great confusion among the "Wifes Brothers Said". Mob. "Only Flee Fim in Black", "must get fleeee stuff" on Spivo defelang buy............. Jeez theres some dumb fereangs here. Honda chap told me today some have 15% O.E. Glass. Stay Clear , Stay Alive.Why do Dealers offer it , but their rides have Expensive Clear when they drive home. Up 2 U.

I understand 40% is the legal limit, although obviously not enforced.

Could be good to have 20% on the windscreen, and 40% on the sides and rear window. That combination on my car works for me. Depends on how good your eyesight is. The tint installer should know what's best.

It wasn't a tint; however, the best sunblock I've seen was a Thai driving with his T-shirt draped on the inside of the driver's side window. Drastic action needed to prevent him from sideswiping me.

Just love IMHO mentioning Hyperoptic. This naturally will cause great confusion among the "Wifes Brothers Said". Mob. "Only Flee Fim in Black", "must get fleeee stuff" on Spivo defelang buy............. Jeez theres some dumb fereangs here. Honda chap told me today some have 15% O.E. Glass. Stay Clear , Stay Alive.Why do Dealers offer it , but their rides have Expensive Clear when they drive home. Up 2 U.

Close the thread. The master has spoken.

Keep it Open , the "BOY HOON" has spoken.cheesy.gif

Well actually, the OP has spoken too :)

He asked "what is the legal level of window tint?", didn't like the answer, and has decided to make his Thai car abide by UK laws..

Well actually, the OP has spoken too smile.png

He asked "what is the legal level of window tint?", didn't like the answer, and has decided to make his Thai car abide by UK laws..

Common sense prevails

If you say so :)

I haven't been to the UK, but I've heard the sun there is pretty intense :P

Just bought a new Everest. Very surprised to learn that the dealer put 40% on the windscreen, (and you can't even notice it), and 60% 0n the sides!

Can't notice it? Open your driver's door (not window - it's just been tinted), the look forward, right, forward, right - see the difference when doing that? tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

Just bought a new Everest. Very surprised to learn that the dealer put 40% on the windscreen, (and you can't even notice it), and 60% 0n the sides!

Can't notice it? Open your driver's door (not window - it's just been tinted), the look forward, right, forward, right - see the difference when doing that? tongue.png

Duh, My Brain Hurts, are these ....ers real. The Doors the ting that traps yer fingers ,

If you really want to appreciate a tint and what you lose, take out two cars at dusk or later- one with and one without in quick succession, the tint first and then the untinted....you'll never tint again.

Edited by cumgranosalum

If you really want to appreciate a tint and what you lose, take out two cars at dusk or later- one with and one without in quick succession, the tint first and then the untinted....you'll never tint again.

Thats like saying ride your motorbike at night with and without sunglasses.

There's not many people wear sunglasses at night unless your from American Chopper.

Duh, My Brain Hurts, are these ....ers real. The Doors the ting that traps yer fingers ,

Your brain hurts because you cannot comprehend someone being ok with a tint level that does not suit your biased ideals..... get over it.

Edited by Don Mega

Why do so many people post stupid reply's. I assume the basic question was about the legal density of film permitted. The question is pertinent because if you wanted to drive you car into Malaysia their legal limit was 25% (you can check the definition) tint density. For those who don't know the answer to the question about what is legal in Thailand, don't waste your time and ours by posting a motherhood type reply.

Why do so many people post stupid reply's. I assume the basic question was about the legal density of film permitted. The question is pertinent because if you wanted to drive you car into Malaysia their legal limit was 25% (you can check the definition) tint density. For those who don't know the answer to the question about what is legal in Thailand, don't waste your time and ours by posting a motherhood type reply.

..and how is this post not a "motherhood" reply? you haven't answered what you believe to be the question and told others how/what to reply!

Edited by cumgranosalum

So Clare you didn't take my advice on the window film eh? whistling.gif

Was your advice no film at all? I felt I couldn't refuse a free offer, and its true my air-con is a little underpowered. It was a struggle insisting on the 30/60 with the Thais pushing for 90..

No... 20/30... I'd even go as high as 30/40 if pushed like you and naught on the front windshield but nothing more then that..

Edited by WarpSpeed