Hotel with in room safe?

BngkkB

Visiting Pattaya next month and would like a room with a safe, just to put camera and wallet in. Travelling with a couple of friends on a budget so around the 1,000 or less per night. Not real keen on using the safe deposit boxes behind the front desk much rather have the in room safe. Any recommendations would be great. We will be going to walking street at night so someplace in that vicinity would be optimal.

Thanks for your help.

Most of the guesthouses along Soi Lengkee near soi bukhao have in room safes. Easy walk down to beach road and then baht bus to walking street. I haven't stayed closer to walking street in several years so can't speak to other places. Lek hotel is in your price range. Been a while since I stayed there. .Hit the breakfast buffet now and then Contact them and ask about safe.

Actually I would go the other way... Safety boxes behind the front desk as long as two keys are needed to open them and there is 24hr cctv on the boxes. With these ones if one key is lost they have to drill the whole lock out and replace it. Room safes all have manufacturers reset codes which are often, not always but often, of general knowledge to the staff.

I agree as far as safety is concerned. The in room safes can be opened with the master key. This is always around somewhere in case the combination is lost or the safe battery dies. Who has the key? Well, often is behind the front desk and anybody can get to it. If it is not at the desk, and say the hotel owner has it, then if you happen to forget your combo you might have quite a wait to get your things out of the safe. Safe is more convenient, but if you have anything more substantial to lock up, I do think the front desk systems are more secure. Takes two keys, and with more traffic coming and going it makes it a little more challenging for robbery. Of course I always wondered if there extra sets of keys around, so even though I have one of the keys, that hardly guarantees there is not another second key somewhere. I don't travel with much of great value so I am content with the convenient in room safe. If they grab my spare credit card, debit card, and passport which I lock up, well so be it. I bring a few thousand USD since I stay at most two months. Nothing bone crushing.

Thanks for all the advice. Will have wallet and camera with me during the day so not worried about hotel staff as much as the night crawlers that may come into my room in the evening and leave while I'm asleep. I checked agoda and have to go through every hotel detail to find in room safe available or not. I had heard of the safe deposit boxes being hit in Phuket last year and was wondering if they were that safe? I know most in room safes can be opened with a good hard hit on the right place but I figure that would wake me. Will check out hotels on the soi mentioned above. Also may raise the budget per night so that should make it easier. Thanks again for all the help.

When I take money in Thailand,I spread it around.Maybe 1/4 in the main safe at hotel lobby.1/4 in the safe in my room.1/4 of it in A locked suitcase that I have chain locked to A heavy piece of furniture in the room and 1/4 on me.That way I figure if I lose any money it'll hopefully be only 1/4 of it.Hopefully.

Actually I would go the other way... Safety boxes behind the front desk as long as two keys are needed to open them and there is 24hr cctv on the boxes. With these ones if one key is lost they have to drill the whole lock out and replace it. Room safes all have manufacturers reset codes which are often, not always but often, of general knowledge to the staff.

Very good advice. The Room Safes are a joke no matter what price you pay for the room, use the Double Key Safety Box at Reception.

Just make sure you don't misplace the Key or you'll be charged a hefty fee to get a Locksmith to open the box for you.

Edited by Torrens54

I'm not sure why you need a camera, I'd leave it at home, one thing less to worry about, use your phone instead.

Intown holiday hotel, Soi Honey, has safes with 2 key entry in reception. I stayed there for 3 months, was fine.

I used to stay at intown holiday hotel. It is a very convenient central location. Last visit the same mundane staff were even less than helpful. I couldn't get the dead bird and little balcony cleaned. The fan blower worked but no cold air came out of air con yet the boy insisted Air OK! I left the next morning. That place just gets more run down every year.

I'm not sure why you need a camera, I'd leave it at home, one thing less to worry about, use your phone instead.

Intown holiday hotel, Soi Honey, has safes with 2 key entry in reception. I stayed there for 3 months, was fine.

I used to stay at intown holiday hotel. It is a very convenient central location. Last visit the same mundane staff were even less than helpful. I couldn't get the dead bird and little balcony cleaned. The fan blower worked but no cold air came out of air con yet the boy insisted Air OK! I left the next morning. That place just gets more run down every year.
staff are typically sleepy and unfriendly but it has a pool and as you say a good location. what I did notice is I had back to back colds whilst staying there, I put it down to me but could have been the air con. I had no problem following year different place.

You do know most of these tin-box safes used in cheap hotels can be opened using a potato don't you...if you don't believe me just Google it. cheesy.gif

Also, many of them have screw holes or punch-outs for mounting screws that aren't used and a metal hanger can easily be fashioned to access the reset button inside the safe to open it.

As to those reception box safes...what's to stop the staff from making 3 keys...one extra of the guest's.

Best to just keep your funds on you during the day and lock them in your suitcase or hide the wallet in plain sight if you have a prostitute in your room.

I just had my in room safe crap out on me. Battery died. Not the first time this has happened in my travels. Luckily it was early morning and the maintience guy was around. Would have been a PITA if it was 3am and I was in a hurry to get to the airport.

Took him less than 30 seconds to get the thing open.

Lessons learned: keep some money outside the safe just in case, and make sure it is accessible well before your departure time.

SL

Lessons learned: keep some money outside the safe just in case, and make sure it is accessible well before your departure time.

I even leave the safe open when in the room during the night, especially the day before (early) checkout/departure.

Indeed the safety of in room safes is doubtful as it depends on the handling of the master key(s) or master code.

I once experienced this master code thing in a hotel on Soi Buakhao.

The fairly drunk "bell boy" was easily able to help me out (open the thing without a key).

Does not feel too safe.

At another place the room safes could only be opened with the keys which where stored in the big hotel safe.

Req. a superior or manager to open.

If the locker boxes at the reception are accessible 24h (maybe with unlocking the room by the receptionist) it is OK for me.

I always bring my own padlock.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Arbitrary budget places that I know in the Soi Buakhao area (easy to get to WS if you really care for whistling.gif ):

Opey de Place in Soi Lengkee, room safes only

ChabaHut in Soi Buakhao, the one with the master code.

Nature View on Soi Buakhao, locker box at reception only, 24h

So many to choose from.

You do know most of these tin-box safes used in cheap hotels can be opened using a potato don't you...if you don't believe me just Google it. cheesy.gif

Also, many of them have screw holes or punch-outs for mounting screws that aren't used and a metal hanger can easily be fashioned to access the reset button inside the safe to open it.

As to those reception box safes...what's to stop the staff from making 3 keys...one extra of the guest's.

Best to just keep your funds on you during the day and lock them in your suitcase or hide the wallet in plain sight if you have a prostitute in your room.

did u Google how to open Zipper on Luggage, Very Easy

Thanks for all the advice. Will have wallet and camera with me during the day so not worried about hotel staff as much as the night crawlers that may come into my room in the evening and leave while I'm asleep. I checked agoda and have to go through every hotel detail to find in room safe available or not. I had heard of the safe deposit boxes being hit in Phuket last year and was wondering if they were that safe? I know most in room safes can be opened with a good hard hit on the right place but I figure that would wake me. Will check out hotels on the soi mentioned above. Also may raise the budget per night so that should make it easier. Thanks again for all the help.

That's bordering on paranoia.

Stay at home. In your home. Locked. Under a blanket. You'll feel safe there.

Paranoia? I mentioned the night crawlers that go into the room with me at night but might prefer to leave before I wake with a bit of cash, camera and a phone. Not paranoid, never had one do it yet but have always been on guard. Safes only keep honest people honest. If they want to get into the safe they can I'm well aware of that. But the noise it would take would wake me. Need to take the Nikon as purpose of trip is to take specific shots for a friend's web page. Not worried about cash as have a few Thai accounts and just atm the cash as I need it. I just don't want my Nikon and phone checking out before I do.

Paranoia? I mentioned the night crawlers that go into the room with me at night but might prefer to leave before I wake with a bit of cash, camera and a phone. Not paranoid, never had one do it yet but have always been on guard. Safes only keep honest people honest. If they want to get into the safe they can I'm well aware of that. But the noise it would take would wake me. Need to take the Nikon as purpose of trip is to take specific shots for a friend's web page. Not worried about cash as have a few Thai accounts and just atm the cash as I need it. I just don't want my Nikon and phone checking out before I do.

It's good to be diligent with security, ive never had anything taken yet because I'm very careful. I do have a theory that smart thieves will take an unnoticeable amount out the safe every day or so, a 1000 here or there won't be noticed. For this reason I'd rather have my cash in a bank account or if I have no choice, in a locked bag in the safe.

I'm even planning to use a cam this time, partially for entertainment

Edited by scubascuba3

I thought it was assumed, but I guess that was taking too much for granted on T-V, that the luggage would be secured with a decent luggage lock. But if you prefer the potato-key safes for your cash and valuable be my guest.

I thought it was assumed, but I guess that was taking too much for granted on T-V, that the luggage would be secured with a decent luggage lock. But if you prefer the potato-key safes for your cash and valuable be my guest.

omg could u be more Dense, u go thru the Zipper, not the Lock, now follow my instructions again and Google, ur common sense eludes u... Edited by Nice Boyd

The Dynasty on Soi 13 might be what you are looking for.

Seconded. Gives you the option of going south to WS, east to Buakhao and Lengkee, north to Soi 6 and Naklua... and west to Koh Larn! Plus it's between Beach and Second so baht buses are a dawdle. Nice bars and restaurants on the Soi as well. My buddies make it their home base every time they visit. Same ownership as the Dynasty, Dynasty Grande and Dawin on Soi 4 and Soi 6 in Bangkok too. They used to do a free shuttle from one to the other if you stayed x amount of days at one or the other but I hear that option may be off the table ATM.

omg could u be more Dense, u go thru the Zipper, not the Lock, now follow my instructions again and Google, ur common sense eludes u...

My luggage doesn't have zippers.

When will they offer an electronic in room safe with an additional hasp&staple to use my own padlock? biggrin.png

I like the idea. Don't need the electronic or combination part. A simple rugged steel box would do fine. It would be cheap to make, and could be very hard to break into, depending on how thick the steel is. But tourists don't typically travel with chains, heavy locks, etc, so I don't see it happening. Still, I see a possible business model here. Local labor could cut and weld and make these things in a few minutes. Or for flexibility, modify or make the electronic safes with the hasp as you suggested. Then a person could have the option to bring their own lock or use the electronic. Makes sense to me.

omg could u be more Dense, u go thru the Zipper, not the Lock, now follow my instructions again and Google, ur common sense eludes u...

My luggage doesn't have zippers.
So great advice for everyone, u take everybody for granted, so how does the Lock help people who have zippers, u know how the word Ass u me works, quit assuming , such helpful advice, never given from you