Single internet gateway… Your thoughts?

watcharacters

Currently a very popular vpn website is barred by the government similar to the Daily Mail et all. The past 4 days I was unable to access sites outside Thailand. Coincidence?................I think not. It has began and it will get worse.

Four days is around the time frame I've noticed to cause that game change.

I've seen how the internet works in all the surrounding SEA countries and I wonder if my time is up for somewhat free usage.

My stomach churns at the idea of some administration (anywhere) choosing to block free internet access.

I'm skeptical that Thailand could afford the processing overhead and maintenance to man-in-the-middle attack every SSL key swap in the Kingdom, not to mention logging and forensics. Then there's the issue that the certificates would be fake; this is obvious to the user. Lastly, they can only see what you're doing and nothing else. So they can spend billions of baht to learn that you watch old Seinfeld episodes and order pizza company three times a week. Yay.

Something is definately going on as the quality of my service (True DSL) has taken a significant nose dive during the past few weeks.

As it is right now, pages are very slow to load and many just hang requiring many refreshes to finally get the page loaded, and thios is for both Thai and international sites. Downloads are not working as they all seem to timeout after 1 to 2 minutes.

Time for a counter coup, I think.

2016 is going to be pivotal. So many tension points. I can live with a reduced internet but will the people have the same attitude?

Enterprise users need little encouragement to relocate. If they cannot operate securely in the Kingdom then they won't at all. There's to much money at stake for an idiot's approach.

What really steams my clams is the arrogance and contemptible ignorance of the pea-brained big hats, their plagues of sycophantic yes-men and self-serving bureaucrats that concoct this nonsense. Thailand employs a bloated, parasitic industry of these lower life forms. A culling is in order.

Edited by BudRight

Only Phazey and BudRight have a clue in this thread, so far. Nobody in the government who's spoken on this topic has a clue, either.

This topic has been discussed to death. No, the 'single gateway' isn't being tested. No, your various random Internet issues have nothing to do with the 'single gateway'. No, the 'single gateway' isn't going to happen, because the government don't have the money nor the skills for it.

They're going to end up with a distributed proxy system which is centrally controlled, as in Singapore. Right now, each ISP has its own proxy system, but it isn't centrally administered.

They're going to end up with a distributed proxy system which is centrally controlled, as in Singapore. Right now, each ISP has its own proxy system, but it isn't centrally administered.

I must admit to being concerned about the governments declarations.

Your post offers some hope, could you explain, in simple english, what this is and how it may effect us.

Here's how the government are doing it.

https://www.bluecoat.com/products/proxysg-secure-web-gateway

Since that's an SSL proxy, the browser will prompt you to add a trusted certificate when you connect. DO NOT ACCEPT! If you do, all your encrypted HTTPS traffic will be visible as plain http traffic to that proxy.

Can be bypassed by using a VPN.

As a software engineer i know this

- VPNs are not vulnerable to man in the middle attack.

- A modern country can't exist without a VPN.

A soon as a global company needs communication with subsidiaries , VPN is mandatory.

So either blue chips will be allowed to bypass this or they will have to gradually relocate.

https proxies is a joke , anyone having access to the proxy server can among other things copy creedit card numbers, login passwords , ...

So is there any plan to shutdown ebusiness with the rest of the world?

Edited by bodymassagemyfriend

Since that's an SSL proxy, the browser will prompt you to add a trusted certificate when you connect. DO NOT ACCEPT! If you do, all your encrypted HTTPS traffic will be visible as plain http traffic to that proxy.

That is totally false. Their new shiny appliance will come with a certificate signed by a verified CA that is already in the browser... nothing will be prompted.

I'm skeptical that Thailand could afford the processing overhead and maintenance to man-in-the-middle attack every SSL key swap in the Kingdom, not to mention logging and forensics. Then there's the issue that the certificates would be fake; this is obvious to the user. Lastly, they can only see what you're doing and nothing else. So they can spend billions of baht to learn that you watch old Seinfeld episodes and order pizza company three times a week. Yay.

Wrong on this one. In my last company contract, we had an Ironport Web Security appliance that all web connections went through. It would brake SSL connection, inspect the payload and reconnect to the endpoint server without any notification to the user...

Can be easily done on a Linux server if you want proof.

VPN protocols are much more secure, but it is easier to just block the endpoint servers...

There is only one reason for the government to push for a single internet gateway...they lust for complete control of the venue of internet communications...

Taxes, snooping, censorship...and even arrests could be the eventual outcome with a government who has unlimited power over peoples lives...with no checks and balances to subdue their often unwarranted aggression...IMHO

The boys in green won't be around long enough to implement their pie in the sky idea(l)s...

I think they will know when their day is done...... as usual, when the problems they have created get beyond them, and require a "democratic" government to shoulder the blame again.

Edited by eddie61

That is totally false. Their new shiny appliance will come with a certificate signed by a verified CA that is already in the browser... nothing will be prompted.

Mind telling which CA?