Auto Enthusiasts/gear Heads

I am seriously considering trading in my car back in Aussie for a Subaru Outback . Having an ankle biter changes ones perception. I used to have the 'jap crap' mentality but really impressed by Subaru's saftey,and performance.

Amazing to see this thread still going. While it is here, any advice on Mitsubishi Stradas ? Mother-in-law is determined to buy her daughter and myself a new truck(mostly so we can driver her ass around everywhere ). I know jack <deleted> about trucks . Price seems cheaper than Isuzu, Toyota, Chevy and Ford. Basically, she wants a  standard four door, 2wd .

I think Mitsubishi is an excellent product overall and hard to go wrong with any of them.

I heard on the news here the other day that the company was in some serious financial trouble and GM had some kind of affilliation that was changing.

Also one of my patients used to own the San Diego Mitsubishi dealership and just sold it.

He said to many marketing and admin problems with the company... :o

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ajarn :o No dreaming,no wishing.Unless you drive a Vigo Turbo ,keep your mind open.This is one amazing vehicle.Suspension a bit hard in the back,but you have to check that it is set for light load.

Taxeville when I picked mine up from Bangkok,i got carried away driving back to Samui , so I opened it up.Diesel takes along time to loosen up.

Mine is an Extra Cab could be a bit lighter then a dual cab.

To all the doubters you are welcome to have a drive of mine. :D

Got a Subaru Forrester STI 2001 Black which is as fast as a Porsche Boxter

O-60 in 5 seconds.

Very sick now a L-driver hit the side wing bumper and indicator lens

€2200 DAMAGE

Any one reading this thread got a Subaru

By the way the Forrester is a SUV

I get this smile on my face every time i sit into it.

Had an MX5 Till my ex made me sell it when we parted *****and the forrester is set up steering wise with a short reach rack that it goes around corners like a MX5 also very low to the ground with the STI shocks Magic.

Nothing beats the selfproduced turbo cars.

Mine a spaceframed ford anglia 1962 mod engine cosworth 400 hp weight 800 kg width 2,0m height 1m , must be close to running a german DTM car (never tried thou).A friend of mine is producing a similar project, Anglia ,ford BDA engine 650 hp ,900kg , supension from a Jag. le mans runner , carbon chassie,avon f1 tires...........lot of goodies.Cost until now 4 mill bath (still not finished).

Here's some pictures of the projects.Turbo's forewer......................

http://www.jonik.org/bda%20anglia%20side.jpg

http://www.jonik.org/bda%20anglia%20front.jpg

http://www.jonik.org/gearbox%20tunnel.JPG

Anyone's got a cooler project?????????? :o

Mine a spaceframed ford anglia 1962 mod engine cosworth 400 hp  weight 800 kg width 2,0m height 1m , must be close to running a german DTM car (never tried thou).A friend of mine is producing a similar project, Anglia ,ford BDA engine 650 hp ,900kg , supension from a Jag. le mans runner , carbon chassie,avon f1 tires...........lot of goodies.Cost until now 4 mill bath (still not finished).

Anyone's got a cooler project??????????  :o

Very cool. But really, I like to see more of that bike!

Mine a spaceframed ford anglia 1962 mod engine cosworth 400 hp  weight 800 kg width 2,0m height 1m , must be close to running a german DTM car (never tried thou).A friend of mine is producing a similar project, Anglia ,ford BDA engine 650 hp ,900kg , supension from a Jag. le mans runner , carbon chassie,avon f1 tires...........lot of goodies.Cost until now 4 mill bath (still not finished).

Anyone's got a cooler project??????????  :o

Very cool. But really, I like to see more of that bike!

Wow that is a radicall project. Why such large tires on the front end? Nice shop from what I can see of it too.

Definitely not a hybrid... :D

• 2 weeks later...
Please don't be too rough on me but I've got to ask. Any hybrid cars on the road in Thailand.

Toyota Prius etc 

Pepe,

Thanks for posting your question(s) about hybrid cars. I quoted your original post. You beat me to it. Based on the volumes on this thread, it’s clear that few folks, Thai or farang, are looking for hybrids right now. This is sad.

I get a kick out of your BMW interests because early last year, after asking the local Toyota and Honda dealers about hybrids to no avail, I went looking for a used car. I ended up with a ’93 BMW 318i for around 11k US.

I love this car. It corners like a dream, goes 160k+ on good roads but doesn’t even feel that fast – there are roads where I can do that on the way to Chiang Mai – but not often, kuhn officer, honest! I never got close to that in my Acura Integra in the States. The Integra was a great car (much better mileage, good acceleration, great handling for front-wheel drive). I would have brought it with me if it wasn’t for the “wrong” side of the road.

The 318i’s 1.8 liter four-cylinder is a disappointment. Acceleration is lousy most of the time, and the fuel economy is depressing – especially in the city with the aircon on. I only get around 24mpg on the highway (aircon, average 100kph or so).

Like you, I hunger for a hybrid. I’ve done web searches on it in regard to Thailand, but not much has come up. The Motoring section of the Bangkok Post barely touches on fuel economy, let alone alternative power plants.

Here’s an interesting link, in general, about hybrids and the future of hydrogen:

http://cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=pars...vironment1.tmpl

I’ve been thinking about reasons for why hybrids aren’t offered here. After all, beyond the desire for powerful passing showboats, the cost of gas (and increasingly diesel) has got to lead people to look for alternatives.

For a long time now, I’ve felt that I wouldn’t want to be the first to own a hybrid here. Better wait until the small-mechanics can work on them – but even in the US hybrid owners have to go the dealer for the electric part of things. So it wouldn’t be much different here.

I pray that the rise in diesel prices will finally inspire hybrids in Thailand. I look forward to the day when tuners are making the most of the electric torque. I saw a NYT article recently about people modifying the Toyota Prius to plug it in and drive further on batteries: See "Hybrid-Car Tinkerers Scoff at No-Plug-In Rule".

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/business/02plug.html

and "Plug-In Hybrid Prototype"

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002437.html

Recent Toshiba non-technology progress with batteries gives me hope that hybrid cars will get even more efficient (regenerative braking is not as effective right now because batteries can’t absorb the input fast enough). If technology allowed, I’d happily replace the engine in my car with a hybrid setup. But I doubt that’ll be feasible for a long time. It’d be easier for me to put a Japanese six cylinder in instead (as a local Thai dude did) for about the same economy of fuel as I get now.

I’d definitely look at a Toyota or Honda hybrid if these companies decide to train their techs to work on them (finally seeing the profit potential based on market demand). The government here still isn’t willing to legislate a move away from standard gasoline or diesel yet – just as in the States.

Remember how, in the US years ago they demanded big bumpers and better economy? The speed limit was lowered to 55 mph. It was a national security issue, even under Nixon. This is the kind of approach we need worldwide now, especially with the economic growth in China, etc., which is creating higher demand for fossil-fuel burning cars. The world is in trouble (really, truly, this time).

It may be sci-fi now, but I look forward to the day when I can “whistle” for a self-piloted “taxi” that can take me and others where we need to go, quickly with low or no pollution. It can happen. But the political will needs to be there.

As people are finally starting to say, we’re living beyond the parameters that the Earth has set for us. We've been asking for trouble. This is really one case where the needs of mankind and the environment are greater than our individual desires. For the sake of our children and grandchildren, we need to adjust our expectations and apply our technological prowess for the good of all.

I hope that Thai engineers can find a solution to export.

And if somebody offers me a hybrid engine to swap in my Bimmer, I'll be ready.

Upcountry

You might not know it but they will continue to produce gas cars as long they make money on it.Most autocar companies spend a lot of money on developing new enginetechnology , wich they sit on and wait until the other companies launches their new ideas.It's quite a war going on between the different producers and the first one to lanch a new product is not always the winner.

Errr... Both Toyota and Hoda can sell you hybrids - Corolla or Civic respectively. The price will be aroud 2 mil give or take. They will have to import them, of course.

There are no tax reductions on hybrid cars in Thailand and imported car is an imported car. 80%.

Please don't be too rough on me but I've got to ask. Any hybrid cars on the road in Thailand.

Toyota Prius etc 

Pepe,

Thanks for posting your question(s) about hybrid cars. I quoted your original post. You beat me to it. Based on the volumes on this thread, it’s clear that few folks, Thai or farang, are looking for hybrids right now. This is sad.

I get a kick out of your BMW interests because early last year, after asking the local Toyota and Honda dealers about hybrids to no avail, I went looking for a used car. I ended up with a ’93 BMW 318i for around 11k US.

I love this car. It corners like a dream, goes 160k+ on good roads but doesn’t even feel that fast – there are roads where I can do that on the way to Chiang Mai – but not often, kuhn officer, honest! I never got close to that in my Acura Integra in the States. The Integra was a great car (much better mileage, good acceleration, great handling for front-wheel drive). I would have brought it with me if it wasn’t for the “wrong” side of the road.

The 318i’s 1.8 liter four-cylinder is a disappointment. Acceleration is lousy most of the time, and the fuel economy is depressing – especially in the city with the aircon on. I only get around 24mpg on the highway (aircon, average 100kph or so).

Like you, I hunger for a hybrid. I’ve done web searches on it in regard to Thailand, but not much has come up. The Motoring section of the Bangkok Post barely touches on fuel economy, let alone alternative power plants.

Here’s an interesting link, in general, about hybrids and the future of hydrogen:

http://cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=pars...vironment1.tmpl

I’ve been thinking about reasons for why hybrids aren’t offered here. After all, beyond the desire for powerful passing showboats, the cost of gas (and increasingly diesel) has got to lead people to look for alternatives.

For a long time now, I’ve felt that I wouldn’t want to be the first to own a hybrid here. Better wait until the small-mechanics can work on them – but even in the US hybrid owners have to go the dealer for the electric part of things. So it wouldn’t be much different here.

I pray that the rise in diesel prices will finally inspire hybrids in Thailand. I look forward to the day when tuners are making the most of the electric torque. I saw a NYT article recently about people modifying the Toyota Prius to plug it in and drive further on batteries: See "Hybrid-Car Tinkerers Scoff at No-Plug-In Rule".

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/business/02plug.html

and "Plug-In Hybrid Prototype"

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002437.html

Recent Toshiba non-technology progress with batteries gives me hope that hybrid cars will get even more efficient (regenerative braking is not as effective right now because batteries can’t absorb the input fast enough). If technology allowed, I’d happily replace the engine in my car with a hybrid setup. But I doubt that’ll be feasible for a long time. It’d be easier for me to put a Japanese six cylinder in instead (as a local Thai dude did) for about the same economy of fuel as I get now.

I’d definitely look at a Toyota or Honda hybrid if these companies decide to train their techs to work on them (finally seeing the profit potential based on market demand). The government here still isn’t willing to legislate a move away from standard gasoline or diesel yet – just as in the States.

Remember how, in the US years ago they demanded big bumpers and better economy? The speed limit was lowered to 55 mph. It was a national security issue, even under Nixon. This is the kind of approach we need worldwide now, especially with the economic growth in China, etc., which is creating higher demand for fossil-fuel burning cars. The world is in trouble (really, truly, this time).

It may be sci-fi now, but I look forward to the day when I can “whistle” for a self-piloted “taxi” that can take me and others where we need to go, quickly with low or no pollution. It can happen. But the political will needs to be there.

As people are finally starting to say, we’re living beyond the parameters that the Earth has set for us. We've been asking for trouble. This is really one case where the needs of mankind and the environment are greater than our individual desires. For the sake of our children and grandchildren, we need to adjust our expectations and apply our technological prowess for the good of all.

I hope that Thai engineers can find a solution to export.

And if somebody offers me a hybrid engine to swap in my Bimmer, I'll be ready.

Upcountry

I just picked up your post. All good thoughts, similar to mine.

Sorry to hear the dissappointing reports about the 318. I know it's under powered but I thought atleast you'd get better gas milage.

My new project car is a 91 525i, four door, stick. My brother gave it to me other wise I would't own a car like this now.

I like it on the highway better than the 97 M3 I just sold to my buddy. I don't know exactly what the gas milage is but it seems pretty good right now.

This car is a real Autobaun cruiser. Only has 83,000 on it. Just did the compression test all cylinders were identical at thress strokes 145 popunds per cylinder.

Just like brand new compression specs.

I hopefully will make it over to BKK for good in 2 years. Maybe the intrest inhybrids will be better by then.

PS Have you considered chip upgrade, cold air induction box and headers? This will make a big difference.

Happy Motoring... :o

Hmm, I haven't thought about modifying my 318i engine. It's worth looking into I suppose, but I don't think the dealer would do it. Maybe if I learn more Thai I could talk to a local mechanic about it. I suppose the suggested items would have to be imported.

I read on the Internet that the four cylinder I have does not deliver better fuel economy than the 6 cylinder. The reason seems to be that the four-banger needs to work harder. It's heavy car. And let's face it, aircon, long lights, constant braking and speed changes caused by blind motorcyclists, etc., takes a toll on mileage too.

Plus+'s point is well taken. Until Thailand at least encourages importing of hybrids, most people wouldn't consider it. I really can't afford a new car right now anyway, so I'd have to dig deep to finance or buy a new hybrid under the best circumstances.

It truly will take a combination of government political will and corporate courage to get more hybrid's on the road.

I like cars, but I've never been over enthusiactic about them like you guys. However, I have seen a Porsche 911 about and it no longer used and the owners have let it go to ###### - a crying shame. I have thought about asking if it was for sale, then I started to dream! Buying, doing it up and restoring to it's original glory - yes, it's probably all beyond me as I don't know squat about motors. But it was a good dream! And I can't help still thinking about it... if I could do the work myself, I have no doubt it would bring me MUCH satisfaction. ######... I want that car.

never owned anything exotic, but worked for dubai royal family and father has arab clients so i managed to thrash their cars around.

bentley continental t, <deleted> amazing

porsche 959 (unregistered, never driven before only test milage) me and a mate, sunday morning, 100mph bayswater rd, trying to avoid the old bill, a bit silly i know but could,nt resist it.

bmw z1,m3,m5

s500's, 600 mercs etc

audi, s4,s6,s8 all great

rollers, bentley rt's etc

favorite all rounders have to be the audi v8'quattros.

dream car as said before ac cobra 1965 427sc

bull shit

never owned anything exotic, but worked for dubai royal family and father has arab clients so i managed to thrash their cars around.

bentley continental t, <deleted> amazing

porsche 959 (unregistered, never driven before only test milage) me and a mate, sunday morning, 100mph bayswater rd, trying to avoid the old bill, a bit silly i know but could,nt resist it.

bmw z1,m3,m5

s500's, 600 mercs etc

audi, s4,s6,s8 all great

rollers, bentley rt's etc

favorite all rounders have to be the audi v8'quattros.

dream car as said before ac cobra 1965 427sc

bull shit

Why would I make it up?

Idiot. :o

Edited by davethailand

Ok,fave cars,

Porsche 911S,70s model.

Porsche 356.

Dodge Charger.

Triumph Stag

Nissan Skyline R33/R34.

VW Beetle 52-58

Chevy Camaro

That Mad Max Ford from OZ

Cars Ive owned:

4 VW Beetles

Triumph Spitfire

Triumph Stag

Porsche 944 Turbo

Peurgeot 205GTI1.9

What have I ended up with?

A bloody Honda NSR150!!

'Petrolheads' under attack 

Alexis Akwagyiram

BBC News 

Eco enemies? Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond

Environmental campaigners have called for the BBC's Top Gear programme to be scrapped as they claim it promotes irresponsible driving. But how fair is this criticism?

For many motoring enthusiasts it is among the highlights of the television week.

But, with its irreverent style and penchant for high-speed stunts, Top Gear attracts fans and critics in equal measure.

Now the BBC Two programme has come under fire from the Transport 2000 pressure group, which has called for it to be taken off the air and replaced with a show that promotes "sensible driving in sensible vehicles".

Top Gear is no stranger to controversy.

It is irresponsible, out-dated television designed to give comfort to boy racers, 'petrolheads' and those from the 'get out of my way' school of driving

Steve Hounsham

Transport 2000

Last year the programme took a 4x4 vehicle up Ben Tongue mountain in Scotland, reportedly churning up heather and sensitive peat on the way, and causing substantial ecological damage. The programme denies these allegations.

A few months earlier the BBC was forced to apologise after the programme's team tested the durability of a truck by ramming it into a 30-year-old chestnut tree, infuriating locals in the Somerset village of Churchill.

Transport 2000, which is committed to reducing the environmental and social effects of transport, argues that Top Gear falls short in its responsibility to educate viewers and acknowledge the interests of women drivers.

"We want to see Top Gear taken off the screens," says Steve Hounsham, of Transport 2000.

"It is irresponsible, out-dated television designed to give comfort to boy racers, 'petrolheads' and those from the 'get out of my way' school of driving.

"This is not about censorship or having a poor sense of humour, it's about what is in the public interest. You can provide entertainment without it being mindless and irresponsible."

Clarkson is said not to be a fan of the British car-maker

But Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond believes the attacks are unwarranted.

"These people clearly haven't watched the programme," he says.

"Top Gear is an entertaining show, for people that are interested in cars, that is driven by people who have been motoring journalists for many, many years."

The presenter stressed that Top Gear aims to provide "entertaining television" for motoring enthusiasts, whereas the programme mooted by Transport 2000 "wouldn't be watched for more than a week".

"If their idea of a motoring programme is a good one, and it is fair and balanced, they should try to make it. That does not mean that Top Gear should be scrapped. There is plenty of room on public service television for other motoring programmes."

A BBC spokesman also defended the show, saying: "Top Gear takes issues of safety very seriously and none of our presenters advocate or encourage speeding or dangerous driving.

'Deriding' Rover

"The reason we have the test track [which stages high speed tests]is so that any high powered cars can be driven in a safe and controlled environment."

"Top Gear gets a regular audience of three million, nearly half of which are female," said the spokesman.

"A broad range of motoring issues are discussed including road safety to the latest models available".

Meanwhile, controversy about the programme has spilled over into the pages of the Daily Telegraph, with one reader partly blaming the show's chief presenter, Jeremy Clarkson, for the company's troubles, because of his derisive reviews of Rover cars.

It's not the first time Clarkson's comments about Rover have been interpreted as unpatriotic - his previous comparison of the Rover 75 to a "vicar's elbow patch" met with a similar response in the pages of the Birmingham Post. In 2003, Top Gear magazine named the Rover 25 as the "least cool car of all time".

But Mr Hammond, who expressed sadness at Rover's woes, denied any bias, stressing that a wide range of vehicles appear on the show and are reviewed in a "fair and balanced" manner.

"If we drive a Rover and think it is rubbish, no matter how much we want the company to survive, we have to tell the truth," he says, while adding that many cars made by the company had received favourable reviews on the programme.

it certainly is a top show.

even though the presenters act like silly schoolkids they serve up the best car related entertainment around.

their failed attempts at destroying a toyota hilux pick up ( leaving it in the sea for a day , setting it on fire , crushing it under a monster earth moving machine and then putting it on the roof of a tall condo block that was then demolished with dynamite....... and the thing still started and moved ) was schoolboy nonsense at its best. but pure entertainment.

it certainly is a top show.

even though the presenters act like silly schoolkids they serve up the best car related entertainment around.

their failed attempts at destroying a toyota hilux pick up ( leaving it in the sea for a day , setting it on fire , crushing it under a monster earth moving machine and then putting it on the roof of a tall condo block that was then demolished with dynamite....... and the thing still started and moved ) was schoolboy nonsense at its best. but pure entertainment.

Agreed.that's probably why I enjoy the show so much!

They also give you their honest opinion...not some watered down crap from an old git who dosn't know <deleted>. :o