Obtain a Thai ID card

Hello,

I'm half Thai/half Swedish and I just finished processing my Thai Birth Certificate at the Thai Embassy in Sweden. Now when I have my Thai birth certificate I wonder what I should do to obtain my Thai ID card?

I guess the process have to be in this order:

1. Go to my local Amphur and get myself in the house book (can I do this by myself?)

2. Apply for a Thai ID card at the same Amphur when I'm in the house book.

3. Apply for a Thai passport here in Bangkok.

4. Leave the country with my Swedish passport and enter Thailand with my Thai passport.

5. NO MORE <removed> CHAENG WATTANA!!!!!!! biggrin.png

Edited by ubonjoe

You got it correct.

One will require the head of house hold for the house book you are going to be entered in to be with you and may require some witnesses dependent upon the Amphoe you go to.

But four can only be done by air.

I edited number 5.

Congrats when you get it all done.

The Thai mother was asked to be present ( divorced from farang father , who was present).She wasn't , they refused to issue an Thai id. Even head of house was not acceptable, plus she is over 20 so an adult! It was very frustrating.

The Thai mother was asked to be present ( divorced from farang father , who was present).She wasn't , they refused to issue an Thai id. Even head of house was not acceptable, plus she is over 20 so an adult! It was very frustrating.

What if the mother has died? her presence is not necessary,

You can recour to justice to for your rights. Although just the presence of a lawyer will suffice.

I have been involved in the retrieval of several people's Thai Nationality.

It is often not a quick thing and may require several trips, over a period several month to the Amphur while the District Head considers the evidence you present to support your claim.

As in dealing with any Thai government office, having as many documents as you can to support your claim is better.

Early this year I successfully retrieved the Thai nationality of someone who was adopted in Thailand at the age of 2 and lived in Europe for 34 years.

The person spoke neither Thai nor English but the mountain of evidence in original adoption documents, could be traced back to records in Bangkok.

After 6 months and 6 visits over 1 year it was obvious that the person was genuine and was given a new ID card.

In this case no parents could be presented as they were unknown. There was a copy of a 34 year old House Registration document with the name on it and a paper trail. After this it was considered sufficient evidence.

A lawyer is not necessary, just some patience, politeness and mountains of paperwork to compliment your interactions!

• Like 2

Thanks for the answers!

My mother is alive but she lives in Sweden. Some people claims that she has to be present, some people claims that she doesn't have to be present, I guess it is different for every Amphur?

By the way, the Thai Embassy in Sweden recommended me to do my Thai passport at them to avoid some hassle. I just have to book an appointment and go there alone with my Thai birth certificate and I will have a Thai passport within one month. The complications seems to start when I want my ID as I don't have a ID number. Would it be easier if I had a Thai passport to show the Amphur?

Having a passport without an ID number would not help.

Getting the ID number at the Amphoe will be the hardest part. After that getting entered in a house book and the ID card will be easy.

Having your mother should not be needed. But a member of her family may be needed.

It would help if you had the village head for where the house book is for that you will be registered in with you.. They often know the ins and outs of the Amphoe.

• Like 1

Suggest getting the Thai passport back in Sweden, as they can issue passports to foreign born Thais without ID numbers. At least then you can renter and not worry about visas.

Go to the district office in advance. They may want some time to dig up the rules for registering a foreign born child. They will tell you what you need buy it will involve two meetings, one with the house registration people the other with the ID card people.

When I did it age 30 I actually had my mother with me, but that was by chance as she was visiting. Not sure of it's compulsory.

When I was issued the Thai ID number one of the things they wanted was my Thai passport which I entered Thailand (gives a reason why you are registering so late after the normal 14 day deadline for all newborns to be registered) and they made a written notation on the back of my Thai BC (issues in Australia) that I had entered and now was being granted an ID.

As said, best to go in first and ask the documentary requirements and then ask what alternatives may be if you can't produce a certain piece of paper or witness.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies.

It seems like the best option for me is to obtain my Thai passport in Sweden and get a Thai driver's license here. And once I entered the country with my Thai passport I will personally invite my mother here for a vacation and tell her to take a short trip to her local Amphur office. ;)

• 2 years later...

Hello

I'm hoping there's still people around that can help me too. 

I'm a 28 year old male born in England and hold British citizenship. My mum is Thai dad is English. I have already got my Thai birth certificate and I currently live in Thailand on my English passport,  education visa for almost a year now.  I am actually studying a degree in teaching so I'm here legitimately. I would like to get my Thai passport and ID. My mum and dad are visiting Thailand next year and I plan to go with them and my Thai grandmother to the amphur office.  

I will be 29 years old and It will be after the annual national service lottery so that makes me ineligible and safe from that as I'm going to be 30 before the next one comes around.

1.I'm wondering will my age make it difficult.

2. To re enter on my Thai passport which countries allow me to fly out to and back in on a different passport?  

3. Were the above people successful?

Thank you so much sorry for rambling! 

Edited by SimonR123

1. No

2. I would say about all of them. You could leave Thailand using your UK passport by air to Kuala Lumpur, enter Malaysia using your Thai passport, leave and then enter here using your Thai passport.

3. Yes

You will need to be registered in house book to get a Thai ID number to get your ID card and passport.

I am Farang, my daughter is Thai/Farang.

I would like to apply for her Thai ID card.

I understand from the first post the following two steps:

1. Go to my local Amphur and get myself in the house book (can I do this by myself?)

2. Apply for a Thai ID card at the same Amphur when I'm in the house book.

Whos house book do I use ?

I am divorced and live in Southern Thailand with together with my children, their mother lives in North Thailand.

Is it necessary to have a witness when making an application for a Thai ID card ?

Yesterday I ( Farang ) was at the Amphur to get my daugther's ( Thai / Farang ) Thai ID card.  I had her passport, birth certificate and the house book but they would not make the application for her Thai ID card because they said they need someone who already has a Thai ID card to witness and countersign the application.

Is this normal practise ? has anyone else experienced the same ?

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the reply to my last post.

1. I have since been in contact with the Thai embassy in London, England. They are saying as i'm not a child and I have never been on the tabien baan or held a Thai ID, I cannot apply for a  Thai passport at the London embassy.

I know they are staff but is it possible they are wrong as it goes against every experience I have read online?

2. I have since been in contact with my families local amphur, they are saying as I'm over 20 years old I have to choose either British or Thai, so would I just tell them I will 'lose' my British Nationality but never actually do so?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

1. I have since been in contact with the Thai embassy in London, England. They are saying as i'm not a child and I have never been on the tabien baan or held a Thai ID, I cannot apply for a  Thai passport at the London embassy.

I know they are staff but is it possible they are wrong as it goes against every experience I have read online?

That is correct information. Same info is here on the MFA website. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21482-e-Passport-Application-for-Thai-Nationals-Living-A.html

Edit: They could of issued you a certificate of identity that would allow you to enter the country as Thai national.

17 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

2. I have since been in contact with my families local amphur, they are saying as I'm over 20 years old I have to choose either British or Thai, so would I just tell them I will 'lose' my British Nationality but never actually do so?

That is false info. The nationality act states you have a choice of choosing one of the 2 nationalities at the age of 20. It is not mandatory.

Edited by ubonjoe

This is probably a daft question, but i am assuming if i entered Thailand with a certificate of identification, I am allowed to stay in Thailand forever?

Or maybe a better question would be,  if i enter with a certificate of identification, is there a set period of time I have to apply for my Thai ID by, obviously the officials would not be happy if i waited a long time and if i were to be asked by the police i wouldn't have any ID but i was just wondering if there's any specific given time length?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

Or maybe a better question would be,  if i enter with a certificate of identification, is there a set period of time I have to apply for my Thai ID by, obviously the officials would not be happy if i waited a long time and if i were to be asked by the police i wouldn't have any ID but i was just wondering if there's any specific given time length?

The is no limit to the amount of time you can stay in the country after entering with certificate of identification.

You would need to have the CI and your birth certificate with you in case you were asked to show an ID card or passport.

Best to get registered in a house book and a Thai ID card as soon as possible.