any clean beaches left in phuket?

wanderluster

hi

are there any good clean beaches left in phuket? i have canadian friends wanting to come over in feb and they are wanting to go "the super beautiful exotic phuket".. yes i have warned them that, they might be 10 yrs to late.. i was last there in patong 2 yrs ago and it wasnt good any more, so being over in patts, i am asking for some local knowledge.

they are looking at a place called Ao chalong villa and spa in chalong.. never been there and did the agoda and google earth thing.. place looks very isolated to me but again wanting first hand knowledge

what about rawaii beach?

thanks for any first hand info anyone can provide

Ao chalong villa is quite isolated and transportation will be difficult/expensive.

There are many nice beaches and even heavily used beaches like Patong have regained a lot of attractiveness since the army enforced clean up was undertaken.

Your friends should, in my opinion, seek a less isolated location and if they wish to explore independently consider hiring a car.

Transportation is a major problem on the Island.

There are no more scenic beaches in Thailand. Everywhere is trash, freaking dogs, dirty water and expensive service.

Maybe you will find what are you looking for on koh phangan, koh phi phi or well known mafia island koh chang, but stay on official tourist sites, otherwise it's not better than Phuket

On the other hand junta is trying to bring back the lost fame. Hookers and all types of scummers has disappeared from the most popular tourist places, situation is better than, let's say 2 years ago, but compared to other popular resorts closer to Europe or USA, Thailand is way below average.

This country is well-worn and hackneyed, absolutely nothing to see here anymore, even though the potential is huge.

There are no more scenic beaches in Thailand. Everywhere is trash, freaking dogs, dirty water and expensive service.

Maybe you will find what are you looking for on koh phangan, koh phi phi or well known mafia island koh chang, but stay on official tourist sites, otherwise it's not better than Phuket

On the other hand junta is trying to bring back the lost fame. Hookers and all types of scummers has disappeared from the most popular tourist places, situation is better than, let's say 2 years ago, but compared to other popular resorts closer to Europe or USA, Thailand is way below average.

This country is well-worn and hackneyed, absolutely nothing to see here anymore, even though the potential is huge.

Have you ever actually been in Thailand?

My sister & her family always stay at Ao Chalong Villa. They have 2 rooms by the pool & next to the beach. They enjoy the relaxing atmosphere especially the beautiful sunsets from their balcony. You will need to hire a car if staying there though as the only alternative eating place within walking distance is Ao Chalong Yacht Club plus to get to other more desirable beaches. Sister always went to Nai Harn.

Wow!.... So much vitriol..... I bet you are really fun to be around.

After forgetting the idea of "the super beautiful exotic phuket", I would absolutely avoid Ao Chalong, on the east side, as well as Rawai where the beach is scenic to see and for taking photo, but it is not apt to swim or to rest on the beach.

The best beaches, if they really do want to come here, are on the west side of the island.

At present, with the army policy, they are looking better, much less crowded than before, but also much less comfortable, without the possibility to enjoy the place on a sunlounger or under an umbrella for the sun.

Personally I consider Phuket a nice and confortable place where to live, but I suggest to my friends travellers that are looking for a beach holiday to avoid this island and to go elsewhere.

I have always thought Rawai and the beaches nearest Chalong are about the ugliest in SE Asia, particularly at low tide.

I cannot imagine staying in a resort anywhere near Chalong. It is traffic traffic traffic and far from everything.

But all beaches that are not cleaned regularly by resort staff ( the municipalities do not do this ) are filthy, and get worse when the summertime west winds bring all the flotsam from fishing fleets and whatever has washed out to sea from the creeks and klongs.

So as it is crowded and lined with businesses and beach vendors/ operators that do pick up the larger garbage, Patong probably would look OK, and the entertainment, day and night is there without the need of transport. However, all beaches on Phuket have sewage seeping into them, and Patong is likely the worse. The Provincial Health Department does not release the findings of bacteria counts and no one ever tests for virus, which IMO are by the bigger hazard.

Keep your head above the water line would be my advice.

North half of Bang Tao is likely to be the cleanest sewage wise as it is not congested with populations but there are scattered businesses that pick up garbage. There are some very nice resorts which do not release sewage, and the local scene plus foreigner amenities are a 20 minute walk away. You can also still get a meal and a lounger on the beach which was becoming uncontrollable and so was shut down on all other beaches.

Far north west beach Mai Khao is about 10 kilometers long, very secluded in parts, encrusted in garbage year round and in some places Thai owned resorts are popping up- so the sewage is likely going into the sea.

I thought Karon beach towards the Kata side was quite nice last year. Turning around and looking up and seeing the big white Buddha was really nice. Kata beach OK but seemed a lot more crowded and less wave action.

Winter has little waves as wind is from the east. Summer is west wind and the boomers, and drownings from rip tides. No one seems to publish numbers on drownings in the summer monsoon months but last it was done it was over 30 and Kata/Karon seem to be the worse.

Nai Thon between the airport and Bang-Tao beach is the best beach in summer, it never has any rips and decent sized waves to frolic in but the overzealous lifeguards who make you stay in a 30 meter section are a drag. Instead of manning the entire beach, they need to huddle together to socialize.

You can ignore them however, they have no legal mandate to make you swim where they want. No one has ever drowned there that I know of.

The entertainment is nil there, vary laid back scene. all the beach bars were torn down last year. There is a row of shops and some restaurants, take a good book cause you won't find anything to read in the shops.

There's a stream of sewage at the north end so stay south. Of course the new condos built on the southern hill are open now, so that's likely to get its own stream.

Yeah tell them to go to Viet Nam. About time Thailand was forced to rethink its strategy regarding pollution.

Edited by FBlue72

All of the beaches on the west coast tend to have different levels of cleanliness, depending upon the season and winds.

As others have mentioned, sewage is a major problem at most of the beaches. For example, Patong has a sewage treatment plant, but many of the larger hotels are "downhill" from the plant, and as far as I know, Patong doesn't have a pressurized sewage system so draw your own conclusions on where sewage from businesses between the treatment plant and the ocean end up.

I would recommend Kata Beach due to overall cleanliness, fewer disruptive enterprises (jet skis and parasailing), scenery and location. Although the jet ski and parasailing businesses are beginning to encroach on more of Kata Beach, it's not nearly as bad as Patong. Kata Beach also has several beachfront restaurants operating legally at the very southern end, as well as food vendors at the northern end. The primary cliental at Kata is European (Scandinavian in particular), whereas Patong has been largely Chinese this past low season.

I don't recall seeing any lifeguards at Kata (although I may have not been looking hard enough). The lifeguards at Patong are totally useless. I'm there a few times every week, and I've never seen a lifeguard sitting in their tower. In fact I've never seen one even looking out at the sea. Every time I walk past the lifeguard station they're either playing with a football, or socializing with their rental jet ski buddies.

<snip>

But all beaches that are not cleaned regularly by resort staff ( the municipalities do not do this ) are filthy, and get worse when the summertime west winds bring all the flotsam from fishing fleets and whatever has washed out to sea from the creeks and klongs.

I see the municiple workers cleaning up Kata beach sand early each morning. This used to done by the beach vendors but since they were banished from the beaches evenually the local Karon authority took over that responsibility. Excepting the area that Club Med staff clean.

I see the biggest problem with all the beaches is the takeover by the jet ski mafia and a the parachute guys with their high speed boats.

There are life guards at Kata beach, about a crew of 6, and they seem to do a fair job when red flags need to be flying.

Now the that the monsoon has shifted, all of the west coast beaches will take on the appearance of being cleaned as opposed to low season when all the garbage washes up. How clean the water is is a different story, but generally all west coast beaches with the exception of Patong will have fairly clear water.

Karon Beach would be my best suggestion. Beyond Resort end. Then if they are really looking at the search for the pristine, get Tiger ferry out of Rassada to Koh Kradan or Koh Mook for a few days.

The poster that suggested Phi Phi and Koh Phangan has lost his mind. Phi Phi Don Village is a dump and Koh Phangan as much, if not more, busy than the busier parts Phuket.

Karon Beach would be my best suggestion. Beyond Resort end. Then if they are really looking at the search for the pristine, get Tiger ferry out of Rassada to Koh Kradan or Koh Mook for a few days.

The poster that suggested Phi Phi and Koh Phangan has lost his mind. Phi Phi Don Village is a dump and Koh Phangan as much, if not more, busy than the busier parts Phuket.

Exactly correct and well said. Phi Phi is a tourist trap and a dump. A few of the smaller isolated west coast beaches still have much to offer. Ferryout to the smaller islands would be ideal.

<snip>

Then if they are really looking at the search for the pristine, get Tiger ferry out of Rassada to Koh Kradan or Koh Mook for a few days.

<snip>

GOM - thanks for the tip regarding the small islands off of Trang, and the TigerLineTravel ferry. We will definitely check those out!

<snip>

Then if they are really looking at the search for the pristine, get Tiger ferry out of Rassada to Koh Kradan or Koh Mook for a few days.

<snip>

GOM - thanks for the tip regarding the small islands off of Trang, and the TigerLineTravel ferry. We will definitely check those out!

Sure, if in your friend's minds is idyllic white sand and few people after a couple days in Phuket take the journey.

post-92090-0-50954800-1445999999_thumb.j

You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

I agree that Karon seems to be the best near civilization as far as cleanliness. The beach itself is sort of boring as far as beaches go as there aren't that many trees between the road. I like the part of Karon where it at the southern end where you will find Marina Hotel and On The Rocks restaurant. I would stay here as their prices are reasonable for what they offer for rooms. 4,000 Baht or so for very luxurious suites, at least in the low season. The rocks offer some opportunities to snorkel as well. Didn't notice any garbage there any of the 4 or so times I stayed there.

The staff have always been very lovely and not stand offish like many other high end hotels seem to be. Lovely gardens to boot.

A lot of Concerning comments as I will be there in just over a week expecting to see some great places and enjoying some snorkeling

The concerning comments are from the Phuket bashers that don't even live here and have nary a clue about the current state of the beaches. I was at Karon yesterday, the water was crystal clear and there were some shoulder high waves for body surfing.

A lot of Concerning comments as I will be there in just over a week expecting to see some great places and enjoying some snorkeling

The concerning comments are from the Phuket bashers that don't even live here and have nary a clue about the current state of the beaches. I was at Karon yesterday, the water was crystal clear and there were some shoulder high waves for body surfing.

I often stop by the beach in the early morning after taking daughter to work at Centara Grand. A couple of days ago Karon was like a glass lake & yesterday exactly as steel describes. The beach is clean & because of its size never appears too crowded.

I often stop by the beach in the early morning after taking daughter to work at Centara Grand. A couple of days ago Karon was like a glass lake & yesterday exactly as steel describes. The beach is clean & because of its size never appears too crowded.

I completely agree. All the beaches look great now that all the vendor clutter has been removed, except for the horrible jet ski and paraglide guys. The beaches have never looked so good for over 20 years. Ok there are complaints about no loungers and umbrellas, but these can be bought (cheaply) and taken to the beach, or even rented and set up by the road side vendors. Refreshments are still available from wandering vendors carrying a coolbox.

I was very surprised (and happy) yesterday, while driving to and from Kata to see that Karon Beach had quite a few people. Usually when driving along the beach road, I can't see anyone on the beach.

Both beaches looked very clean.

Kata Beach yesterday also had a lot more people. My guess is that the hotels are seeing a spike in occupancy this week as high season rates kick in next week.