Southern rubber planters arrive in Bangkok to demand government’s help

webfact

Were not these Suthep's illegitimate children who laid siege to Bangkok with regards to the corrupted Pheu Thai and their schemes to help the rice farmers. So why should any help be given to them? And furthermore, why isn't the NCPO arresting them for mobs in Bangkok again.

I get such a chuckle how a bunch of farang toursits think they have any right at all to tell Thais how to govern their own country.

Talk about a misdirected sense of self-importance.

The only thing funnier is that any of you actually think the gov't cares one iota what you think.

Isn't a forum a place where people can discuss their points of view?

Do you even understand the paradoxical implication of your reply?

Its not a good idea to use such big words when you use them incorrectly. It has the opposite effect you were hoping for.

And in response, obviously more than you recognize the absurdity of so many here getting so flustered and emotional about topics pertaining to Thailand they have zero control over...or more than even a rudimentary understanding of.

Cheers

They have all this quality base product (and raw Thai latex is rated fairly highly).

Why don't they process it?

Make things with it. Stop hoarding and hoping the price will jump.

USE IT FOR SOMETHING!

They are leaving SO much money on the table.

The mind boggles.

They have all this quality base product (and raw Thai latex is rated fairly highly).

USE IT FOR SOMETHING!

The mind boggles.

Isn't that one of the things the rubber guys are asking for? Makes stuff from rubber.

In that they are right in asking the government.

There was a news story recently about an Indian tyre company wanting to set up in the South. Something like that would be good. Refuse the Indian company, set up a Thai tyre company. Obviously, if the Indian tyre company thinks there's a market good enough to set up an off-shore factory, there must be a market.

USE IT FOR SOMETHING!

The mind boggles.

There is more supply than demand in the local market.

There are already many manufacturers using these rubber for tires, rubber parts for industrial and home goods, condoms, toys and sport industry etc.

Farmers do not have the money and resources to make something with it. Its easier said than done.

Were not these Suthep's illegitimate children who laid siege to Bangkok with regards to the corrupted Pheu Thai and their schemes to help the rice farmers. So why should any help be given to them? And furthermore, why isn't the NCPO arresting them for mobs in Bangkok again.

I get such a chuckle how a bunch of farang toursits think they have any right at all to tell Thais how to govern their own country.

The only thing funnier is that any of you actually think the gov't cares one iota what you think.

Did someone say bring in the clowns ?

USE IT FOR SOMETHING!

The mind boggles.

With the amount of boom-boom that takes place in Thailand its a shame they can't get anyone to use condoms.

That surplus latex would get used up quick.

Did someone say bring in the clowns ?

Not yet but we will let you know when you are needed ;-)

Every year same old chit rubber plantion owners demand the government to raise price of there product. Ever think of supply and demand? Just maybe adding a different crop or something to offset lose might be in order?

I had hoped in the year of my absence you might have begun studying a topic prior to voicing your opinion...but one can also hope for next year.

Do you have any concept of the life cycle of a rubber tree ?

I'm not Strangebrew , but I have;

Between 30 and 35 years ;

Farmers are all the same all over this world;

They don't have money for eating but curiously they have money for buying diesel/benzine for their Mercedes and big Toyota/Lexus for coming to Bangkok .

You really think small hold rubber farmers are driving mercs? The middle men are as are the people renting the land, as are the processors. But not the farmers.

I don't know of even one countr in the World where agriculture is not federally subsidized.

Its for the bebefit of the Country when it is practiced properly... The rice scheme being an example of a poorly structured approach.

Spot on. From production to having to slaughter animals because of the conditions there is some relief federally in Aust. It is a shame there was so much political baggage on the rice debacle.

A better way to view the rubbber thing though, is an economy trying to transition. Or actually not making the changes and hangin on, Just consider the very latex product and the farming techniques it uses they are trying to protect. These farmers do not need price relief they need whole-scale industry solutions on the future on their products with a focus to diversify. It is almost a feudal remnant and the synthetics will continue to kill em..

What exactly would one do to reform rubber production. You plant it, you wait 7 years, you cut it by hand for 20 years, you cut it down. There isn't fertilisers and tending in the field. But there isn't much that can be done to boost yields cheaply or reduce costs. It is what it is.

Oil is cheap so synthetic rubber is cheap right not. Not much that can be done without subsidising.

Isn't a forum a place where people can discuss their points of view?

Do you even understand the paradoxical implication of your reply?

Its not a good idea to use such big words when you use them incorrectly. It has the opposite effect you were hoping for.

And in response, obviously more than you recognize the absurdity of so many here getting so flustered and emotional about topics pertaining to Thailand they have zero control over...or more than even a rudimentary understanding of.

Cheers

What do you expect expats who have a connection with Thailand to talk about ? The price of tea in China ?

And I think it's funny that you think that any of us actually thinks the Government cares what we think. clap2.gif (I think ????)

Cheers

What do you expect expats who have a connection with Thailand to talk about ? The price of tea in China ?

And I think it's funny that you think that any of us actually thinks the Government cares what we think. clap2.gif (I think ????)

Thats not even half as funny as the fact so many of you guys have given up your lives back home to live over here in Paradise and yet you are so unhappy and always complaining about everything here on TV.

Now thats funny ;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

A couple of points;

# some posters who are not genned up on rubber production. There are three ways of selling product. Liquid latex, cup and sheet. Prices range currently between 20 - 53 baht. The article perhaps confuses said TV experts/posters. Rubber is unlike other crops as it is a several decades investment.Not annual, bi-annual or seasonal.

# The southern rubber farmers have generally been in the game for generations. It is all they know, and they are very good at what they do.

# In Europe you don't ask a dairy farmer for generations to become a sheep farmer. Advice, help, and yes, subsidies are required all round.

# Rubber production is all we do as an income, so i speak from experience.

USE IT FOR SOMETHING!

The mind boggles.

Excellent point. Back home, we can easily get feeding troughs, buckets, water containers and other farm necessities made out of vulcanized rubber - like tire rubber. They cost more than plastic varieties, but they are extremely durable, and worth the price. What they have here are made of plastic, and, from experience with farms both here and back home, I think they are of much inferior quality here. I don't see why they don't make a push to process that rubber into usable farm supplies here?

Also, the king's sufficiency economy does speak to some of the other criticism's I see here. In the west, we speak more in terms of a holistic system, but the ideas correlate. Diversifying crops and building up a reserve for hard times are great ideas. However, they require advanced planning, which most simply cannot fathom.