No booze sold today in Thailand as 'Wan Ok Phansa' goes dry

webfact

No Booze Sold Today as ‘Wan Ok Phansa’ Goes Dry
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14459226521445922825l.jpg
A monk receives alms this morning in Korat on the last day of Buddhist Lent.

BANGKOK — For the first time, alcohol sales have been forbidden today on the last day of Buddhist Lent, according to the Department of Disease Control.

Wan Ok Phansa joins the four other major Buddhist holidays which for years have prohibited the sale of alcohol under the 2008 Alcohol Control Act: Macha Bucha, Visacha Bucha, Asanha Bucha, and Wan Khao Phansa, the first day of Buddhist lent.

A law signed by Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha in February added the last day of Buddhist Lent, which normally is the full moon of the 11th lunar month, to the list. The amendment also removed an exception for hotels, yet kept intact that granted to airport duty free shops.

Those who violate the law face six months imprisonment or a 10,000 baht fine, said Asadang Ruayajin, deputy permanent secretary of the Department of Disease Control.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1445922652

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-27

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So even hotels are not allowed to sell alcohol today?

Why does this come under the Department of Disease Control?

Hotels have always been excluded from alcohol bans

Big sign at the hotel we went to lunch at today saying no alcohol will be sold/served today.

I guess they also put locks on the minibars!

No they haven't. Only large international hotels have been in the past, but I think with the latest law change also that isn't valid anymore.

Buddhist that force their believe on others with penalty of 6 month jail I think....hmmmmm

The same Buddhists would be extreme upset when pork would be banned or eating in the Ramadan.

Try to buy bacon in Saudi Arabia or you can try to get a shot of Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, Tennessee (where JD is produced)...

There are many things that are prohibited in one country/place that is OK in another.

Believe it or not but they are doing this trying to get the Thai people to stay of the booze at least a couple a days a year. I also support this with banning the sale of alcohol close to schools, Monday morning I had 5 of my M.4 students puking outside the classroom thanks to hangover! I know that they can get alcohol further away but at least they must use more effort than just walk out of school to get the booze.

If anyone feels that not being able to drink alcohol for 5 days a year is a big deal then I would suggest Wat Tham Krabok or AA.

Just went to the shop and asked them if I can buy 3 Changs and they said why not? When I told them Prayuth says no, they say thats only for the people in Bangkok. cheesy.gif

I just saw a motocy taxidriver hiding for the rain with a large Leo in his hand.

Seemingly not this time round though, from the OP

A law signed by Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha in February added the last day of Buddhist Lent, which normally is the full moon of the 11th lunar month, to the list. The amendment also removed an exception for hotels, yet kept intact that granted to airport duty free shops.

Buddhist that force their believe on others with penalty of 6 month jail I think....hmmmmm

The same Buddhists would be extreme upset when pork would be banned or eating in the Ramadan.

Try to buy bacon in Saudi Arabia or you can try to get a shot of Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, Tennessee (where JD is produced)...

There are many things that are prohibited in one country/place that is OK in another.

But at least Saudi Arabia doesn't claim to be liberal....Their religion advocates enforcing the rules with violence.

Buddhism doesn't do that...there is no part with fire and sword against the non believer. 6 month jail is just crazy.

Believe it or not but they are doing this trying to get the Thai people to stay of the booze at least a couple a days a year. I also support this with banning the sale of alcohol close to schools, Monday morning I had 5 of my M.4 students puking outside the classroom thanks to hangover! I know that they can get alcohol further away but at least they must use more effort than just walk out of school to get the booze.

If anyone feels that not being able to drink alcohol for 5 days a year is a big deal then I would suggest Wat Tham Krabok or AA.

It is not about being dry for 5 days. It is about the government tries to decide which day I can have a beer. That is absolute not their business....and even less in enforcing religious laws.

Prohibition never worked....or is Thailand already free of the other illegal narcotics? If your students drink, how do they pass the exams?? Yes I know everyone passes and that is exactly the problem.

When I was young 14+ we drank every Saturday, but on Monday-Saturday we were fit because the school wanted to kick out every student who is not up to the task. So we grew up to learn when we can drink and how much we can drink, learning to make decisions ourself.

Sorry, cannot for a minute agree with the logic of banning the sale of alcohol anywhere. Making new rules, when laws are already in place to prevent the problem, isn't going to do anything but cause resentment and unrest.

If the emphasis is not placed on the shoulders to those selling alcohol to minors, then the only thing that is going to happen is business failure for the honest, law abiding patrons of said establishments.

This issue apparently hasn't even been considered by those in their ivory towers trying to make a difference to matters they fail to understand in the first place.

And for clarity, this rant is not because i am being deprived of alcohol; i haven't had a drink for the last 16 years, it is a rant in support of the persons trying to make a living and being kicked to the kerb/curb because of half thought out ideas.

Edit: As a matter of interest, what happened to your M4 students? What preventative actions were taken by the school?

Edited by chrisinth

Sorry, cannot for a minute agree with the logic of banning the sale of alcohol anywhere. Making new rules, when laws are already in place to prevent the problem, isn't going to do anything but cause resentment and unrest.

If the emphasis is not placed on the shoulders to those selling alcohol to minors, then the only thing that is going to happen is business failure for the honest, law abiding patrons of said establishments.

This issue apparently hasn't even been considered by those in their ivory towers trying to make a difference to matters they fail to understand in the first place.

And for clarity, this rant is not because i am being deprived of alcohol; i haven't had a drink for the last 16 years, it is a rant in support of the persons trying to make a living and being kicked to the kerb/curb because of half thought out ideas.

Edit: As a matter of interest, what happened to your M4 students? What preventative actions were taken by the school?

When I was young it was common that the parents send the child in the supermarket to buy wine and cigarettes. And that generation could handle alcohol better than the protected. Drinking was no sign of being grown up, because you could just do it. No secrets. It wasn't complete trouble free but less than today.