Pushy deckchair vendor forces foreign family off Pattaya beach

webfact

Pushy deckchair vendor forces foreign family off Pattaya beach

pattaya.jpg

PATTAYA:-- A video which allegedly shows a deckchair vendor forcing a family of foreigners off a beach in Pattaya has gone viral.

The footage, which was widely shared on Monday, shows the vendor telling the foreign family to move from where they were sitting on the beach because they had not rented one of the vendor’s deckchairs.

The actions of the vendor, which have resulted in numerous negative comments on social media, echoed a similar incident in 2014, which involved a Russian tourist and a vendor on a beach in Koh Larn.

During that incident, the vendor was filmed kicking sand and arguing with a Russian woman because she refused to rent a deckchair.

The incident sparked outrage and made headlines around the world, resulting in police investigation and a crackdown on the practices and aggressive tactics used by beach vendors throughout Thailand.

The vendor was later identified as Cambodian man who was arrested for working illegally in Thailand

The incident filmed on Monday is likely to do little to try and improve the image of Pattaya, something which the tourism officials have been eager to do in recent years.

Video credit: @Somkeat Sanram via YouLike

tvn.png
-- 2015-10-27

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they pay for the chair ? Probably Russians trying to get free chairs, I can understand the vendor.

yes no pay no sit on chair, I cannot see a problem here?

I guess both of you missed the fact that none of the family were sitting on or tried to sit on a chair?

i recently wanted to sit down at Cha-am beach and have some lunch. Before i had even sat down the deckchair vendor wanted 300baht from me just to sit there. i told her we were just eating and not going to be there all day. She still wanted 300baht. I told her that this was cheating foreigners and that i would much rather go and eat in a restaurant which i promptly did. I felt very sorry for the food vendors as they seemed to be trying ti make an honest living and i apologised to them but i am not willing to be treated like this. 300baht plus whatever i would have spent on food is ridiculous and they know it the food vendors seemed more upset than myself. In the end these sorts of vendors are only hurting themselves but i think it will take forever for them to feel the pain and when they do it will probably be too late.

The vendor should have left them on the beach to fry, then he could have doubled his price, They seemed polite enough i can understand the vendors point of view but doesnt exactly gel with the Thai smile.

The vendor's point of view is criminal. He does not own the beach. He has no right to say a person can not sit on it. He is lucky he is permitted to rent chairs at all.

Did they pay for the chair ? Probably Russians trying to get free chairs, I can understand the vendor.

The first reply to this thread is from our resident Thai apologist "balo", and as usual he blames the victim, and defends the Thais, without even reading the FACTS. Pathetic.

I thought there was a huge clampdown on this kind of thing. Oh well goes to show nothing has happened. These ventdors that do this stuff need to be kicked off the beach themselves and banned for good.

The beach chair vendors agreements (leases) only allow them specific space for chairs and umbrellas, back from the tide mark. These foreigners were just sitting in an area with no chairs or vendors. PLUS, the assh*le that hassled them turned out to be a Cambodian working illegally here. Takes all kinds!

The incident filmed on Monday is likely to do little to try and improve the image of Pattaya, something which the tourism officials have been eager to do in recent years.

Improving Pattaya's image would be a disaster and turn it in a ghost town. People come here because it is SIN CITY, beside a few Russian families and Chinese tour busses.

If you could understand the Thai filming you would understand he was severely criticizing the vendor, basically calling her an idiot. Thai people know that if they came as a family and sat on the beach no one would dare come up to them and force them to move. Thai people who come from the city and witness this kind of thing frown upon it. Luckily social media will change attitudes in time. This is why the government are turning into big brother with their new cyber laws.

The vendor's boss has paid public officials to rent the beach. He has his gang who run the beach and collect the deckchair rents. If they don't collect the required amount every day, they will be beaten by the boss' thugs. This is how it works.

The beach chair vendors agreements (leases) only allow them specific space for chairs and umbrellas, back from the tide mark. These foreigners were just sitting in an area with no chairs or vendors. PLUS, the assh*le that hassled them turned out to be a Cambodian working illegally here. Takes all kinds!

Yea yea yea.. Its always the Cambodian. The Cambodian has a Thai boss don't you know.

I thought there was a huge clampdown on this kind of thing. Oh well goes to show nothing has happened. These ventdors that do this stuff need to be kicked off the beach themselves and banned for good.

OK, but perhaps more to the point is that there is never any follow up, therefore the bottom line is nothing ever changes...

The deckchair owner is Thai.

He gets this beach contract because he knows (probably related) crooked people at City Hall & Police.

The deckchair owner employes illegal aliens & orders his poor, underpaid staff to do his dirty work.

Nothing happens to the deckchair owner.

Same same for the jet ski gangs.

Edited by RidgeRunner

Some deckchair vendors have been among the rudest people I have met in Thailand...it is as if they own the section of beach where they setup...I no longer go where there are deckchairs...screw them...not getting another baht to encourage their obstinate behavior...