National Park Experience

Beng

Went to Khun Tha National Park (app. 70 km east of Chiang Mai) today.

When arriving at the entrance, I was asked to pay a 100 Baht admission fee.

As Thais pay only 20 Baht, I pointed this out and showed them my Thai driver's licence, which they didn't accept.

The staff was very friendly and showed me a written order from the ministry of tourism to charge all foreigners 100 baht. They tried to save face and pointed out, that the Chae Son N.P. (not far away) and some others even charge 200 Baht, while Thais pay 40.

At 11:00 o'clock and being the first customer there today, I suggested that they take my 20 Baht, or get nothing.

They apologised and said that they couldn't do this even though they know that Thais pay the same as other people when visiting similar places in Europe and the US.

After trying with them in Thai language for about 20 minutes without success, I just left and will not visit a Thai N.P. anymore, unless this stupid and racist policy will change.

I like to encourage all foreigners to stay away from those places with a dual price policy, as my single refusal to pay 5 times more than Thais is simply not enough to get this thought over again by the authorities.

post-119985-0-67223300-1445937123_thumb.

Edited by Beng

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this kind of discrimination too. It's not about the 80 Baht more, its about the feeling to be cheated.

It's also funny that the authorities are aware of the fact that the foreigners feel bad. Therefore they write the Thai prices with Thai numbers and not with Arabic ones because they think that we cannot read it.

This is not unique to Thailand, many countries outside the Western world have this policy. India, Costa Rica, the list goes on. Don't see it as a Thai problem.

But it still is a problem and unjust.

This is not unique to Thailand, many countries outside the Western world have this policy. India, Costa Rica, the list goes on. Don't see it as a Thai problem.

I'm not sure, but isn't this forum called THAIVISA?thumbsup.gif

Pointing out other countries who practice discrimination serves what purpose on a THAI based forum?rolleyes.gif

That its okay? facepalm.gif

I hate this kind of discrimination too. It's not about the 80 Baht more, its about the feeling to be cheated.

It's also funny that the authorities are aware of the fact that the foreigners feel bad. Therefore they write the Thai prices with Thai numbers and not with Arabic ones because they think that we cannot read it.

You are exactly right, shame on them. When PM Prayut took power, he did a lot of good things. But after putting up the N,P. fees for foreigners, coming up with the alcoholic drink sales restrictions and the idea of censoring/restricting the internet, I have serious doubts about his abilities.

Pointing out other countries who practice discrimination serves what purpose on a THAI based forum?rolleyes.gif

kaorop post 6

Bet your in favour of that single gateway idea then to kill off the net and what people can see and say here in Thaland

kaorop post 6

Bet your in favour of that single gateway idea then to kill off the net and what people can see and say here in Thaland

Right, but this is off topic.

Edited by Beng

It is done to the tourists in Hawaii as well.smile.png

Interesting, as Hawaii is US territory, Not right so.

kaorop post 6

blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png what you talkin about there?

You think my post was justifying censorship, wooohaaa, wooohaaa

I will censor my reply to you though cheesy.gif

Hawaii is a state (#50) not a territory and I mention their double pricing as an example which refutes the notion we don’t do it in the West. National Parks in the US also have discounts for people who live in the area and based on age. Not everyone pays the same.

If I really want to go somewhere, I don't mind if it costs me 100 baht. I have been to parks where they didn't charge extra but I don't expect that to happen every time. If you don't want to pay, simply don't go to National Parks. One less tourist is no big deal as the parks are overcrowded during the holidays anyway.

If I really want to go somewhere, I don't mind if it costs me 100 baht. I have been to parks where they didn't charge extra but I don't expect that to happen every time. If you don't want to pay, simply don't go to National Parks. One less tourist is no big deal as the parks are overcrowded during the holidays anyway.

Read the OP again.

What happens when families of Thai and non Thai try to enter national parks? Our son is 3 so no Thai ID. He looks foreign so what do they charge? How do they determine Thai and foreign?

Interesting question. Anyone ?

Thought the Thai Driver License you pay same guess not TIT

I wonder if, instead of a Thai Driver's License, you had shown a Thai Work Permit? As a worker in Thailand, you pay Thai taxes. As a retired expat you don't. I can understand the desire to charge more to those who don't contribute to the upkeep of the park. When I had my business here in Chiang Mai, I would always bring my Work Permit booklet with me when we went to National Parks. Always paid the same rate as the Thais. Never any questions about it.

It's the same as a Resident Fishing License or Resident Hunting License being much less expensive than the Non-Resident ones, sometimes hundreds of dollars less. Or charging a higher tuition for classes in a state-run educational facility to someone from out of state. These are normal charges in most countries, but for some reason, folks here think that there is something unusual about them. If you help pay for the maintenance of the parks through taxes, you 'shouldn't' have to pay. If you do, then something is indeed wrong with the system. But just showing a Drivers License doesn't prove you are contributing to the system. It only means you live here.

I find it hard to believe that a non native resident of Hawaii, one with a local issued state ID, is charged more based on their skin color and race.

No one really has a problem with residents v tourist prices for attractions. The problem is when the resident is defined by skin color alone (my Khmer ex who couldnt speak one word of Thai was routinely given the Thai price) not based on residency but based on race.

Hawaii is a state (#50) not a territory and I mention their double pricing as an example which refutes the notion we don’t do it in the West. National Parks in the US also have discounts for people who live in the area and based on age. Not everyone pays the same.

As stated..TOTALLY different issue..

Edited by LivinLOS

Let's get real. We are actually not respected and probably not wanted. So better not to put ourselves in positions where we are treated like shit. Just stay away from national parks and all other places that discriminate. I certainly will not be going to any of these places. The junta is making it perfectly clear that we are not respected nor wanted. So soon it Weill be time to move on!

"unless this stupid and racist policy will change."

The law is directed at foreigners. I wasn't aware that non-Thai is a race. Sure, locals will make assumptions that people who look like they could be native Thais are, in fact, Thais, but this is just laziness. Not racism. This level of indignation is absurd.

I find it hard to believe that a non native resident of Hawaii, one with a local issued state ID, is charged more based on their skin color and race.

No one really has a problem with residents v tourist prices for attractions. The problem is when the resident is defined by skin color alone (my Khmer ex who couldnt speak one word of Thai was routinely given the Thai price) not based on residency but based on race.

The large majority of resident expats do NOT contribute to the upkeep nor maintenance of the parks. Why should we get to pay as little for entry as those who do?

Granted, the sign shouldn't read "Correct Skin Color Required," but with just a little bit of thought, we really do understand what is trying to be done here... unless one is really paranoid that the Thais are out to fleece foreigners. Personally, I don't think that's the case. If we want to play, we need to pay. Either though taxes or through higher entry fees.

I have paid my taxes for the last 7 years I have worked here and have never had any desire to visit a Thai National park after seeing what the feral Thai hordes from Bangkok and elsewhere do to my local beach every holiday weekend. They have no respect for the environment at the beach so I imagine it would be similar in the parks.

I take exception when people try to play the race card over a minor economic inconvenience. I think people overuse the term racism. It is one thing for a race of people who have been enslaved, abused, denigrated, economically and socially disadvantaged to use the race card. It is something else for a white guy with a multitude of advantages to cry racism while trying to lord over the peasants in a developing country. All this over a few hundred baht is unbelievable.

Some of the parks are beautiful and paid staff are required to keep them that way. They try to keep it affordable for the locals to instill national pride and charge an inconsequentially higher fee for tourist who typically expect more facilities and higher standard of infrastructure.

They have no respect for the environment at the beach so I imagine it would be similar in the parks.

Your presumption is true.

The reason I don't visit Thai national parks anymore is not the entrance fee but my bleeding heart seeing how unawarely and disrespectfully most Thais use to treat their national heritages.

They have no respect for the environment at the beach so I imagine it would be similar in the parks.

Your presumption is true.

The reason I don't visit Thai national parks anymore is not the entrance fee but my bleeding heart seeing how unawarely and disrespectfully most Thais use to treat their national heritages.

Rather like the American father who, while on vacation with his kids in Yellowstone National Park, carved his name into the wooden railing over one of the scenic vistas... Maybe the Austrian climbers who left their trash on a ledge while climbing in the Tyrol. Or the Chinese family who used a marking pen to write their names on a famous Shrine in Japan. Perhaps it's closer to the UK girls who entered the Chiang Mai temple wearing bikinis. Or maybe it was the French couple vacationing in the Maldives, and threw their empty plastic water bottles into the sea next to their bungalow. Could it be the German guy who decided that the ancient stone shrine he passed while trekking was really an outhouse? Or maybe it was .....

Fill in which ever nationality you'd like, then go and blame Thais for doing the same thing. Everybody is perfect except the Thais. Certainly YOUR countrymen would never behave like that...

I really wonder why some of you live here.You seem to dislike just about everything about Thailand and its people.