Ducati 959?

ChaangNoi

I am waiting that news too, time to trade in my 848. At a guess I would say it will be available in Europe early 2016, feb/mar, so possibly april here, purely an educated guess from timeline of the 848 > 848 evo models a few years back. The 848 evo was released at 50k more (red, dark was 50k less) - so I suspect a similar increase as the 899 is already assembled here and the 959 should be too so tax will remain as is.

Having said that, those were italian imports back then, so hopefully it will be quicker, the hyper 821 made it out here very quickly after release

It may be longer, just an educated guess. the 1299 is still on teh highest tax bracket because it is not assembled here, import only, its 1.4 million baht, if the assembled it here it would drop, here hoping!

Devil's advocate - BMW started assembling the S1000RR in Thailand. It's now 820 / 840k - pretty competitive with the 899, but more bike.

Doesn't look as good of course wink.png

I didnt know this, throws another choice in to the mix, decent price for an awesome machine. Ive got to pick one sooner or later!

• 4 weeks later...

Ducati "939" information:

LINK

Many, many words for something that amounts to: It's basically the exact same bike, with 10% more torque, 3 more HP, and more weight. Looks exactly the same. Even the headlight is the same.... the increase in HP and torque seems insignificant and the increased weight is unwelcome.

The only sliver of light specifically for Thailand would be if they start assembling the SP version here as a CKD. Then the price would drop to somewhere in the 600k range.

• 2 weeks later...

The 959 looks like it will be sold in the USA this month. However in Thailand the best guess I can get from the dealer is May. No idea on price and they will not make a waiting list yet.

I have seen the white and red, will their be any other colors? Thx

The 959 looks like it will be sold in the USA this month. However in Thailand the best guess I can get from the dealer is May. No idea on price and they will not make a waiting list yet.

I have seen the white and red, will their be any other colors? Thx

As far as I know will just be red and white for now, however with that exhaust I won't be buying one, truly horrific! Some people on the main ducati forums seem to think it will require a full system to remove it and possibly new belly panels (not verified), dont really want to pay another 100k+ on top of the price just because the designers fell asleep! I know they had to meet various emission laws but they could have made it a bit nicer, back to underseat or something, will keep the 848 for now, although the s1000rr is looking more and more tempting, and the MV f3 800 is now selling for 920k, not bad at all

Ducati has some very serious Quality problems in Thailand. They seem hell bent on saving pennies on any parts not directly visible to the eye - as a result, a lot of stuff breaks.

The last in a long series of problems on my Hypermotard - my air intake manifold (the rubber parts not sure what the name of that is) developed cracks. You can't see those from the outside but because of this, dirt got inside the engine. Engine is basically toast. Needs to be rebuilt.

I've talked to a few friends who know a lot more about bikes than I do - they said this part does not usually need replacement until about 10 years in. And it should certainly not develop actual cracks where stuff can get in.

It's really disappointing. I don't know if this is just Ducati Thailand, or it's a world wide problem. But it's got to the point where a Ducati should really only be considered as a second bike. To take out on weekends with good weather, no rain, and no dust.

Ducati has some very serious Quality problems in Thailand. They seem hell bent on saving pennies on any parts not directly visible to the eye - as a result, a lot of stuff breaks.

The last in a long series of problems on my Hypermotard - my air intake manifold (the rubber parts not sure what the name of that is) developed cracks. You can't see those from the outside but because of this, dirt got inside the engine. Engine is basically toast. Needs to be rebuilt.

I've talked to a few friends who know a lot more about bikes than I do - they said this part does not usually need replacement until about 10 years in. And it should certainly not develop actual cracks where stuff can get in.

It's really disappointing. I don't know if this is just Ducati Thailand, or it's a world wide problem. But it's got to the point where a Ducati should really only be considered as a second bike. To take out on weekends with good weather, no rain, and no dust.

damn that sucks, presumably seals, rubbers etc are locally sourced, any kind of warranty cover? I'd definitely kick up a fuss and take it up with HQ in Italy if need be, can only be 2 years old??

nikster: sorry to hear that. I too had problems with my Scrambler which I posted on this forum earlier this year and those issues could only stem from quality problems at the Thai factory and dealer.

On the web you can find a shitload of posts about people having issues with the Hypermotard 821. I first got aware of this when I watched some youtube vlogger called snowcatxx87: https://www.youtube.com/user/snowcatxx87/videos

Then found loads of posts on forums.

They do make some very exciting bikes, but they were not exactly known for reliability and getting production up in Thailand can't really improve things in that regard I fear :/

Spoke to another Falang with a Multistrada which had also some weird technical glitches. When I speak to Honda owners they never mention any problems...

I'll keep my Scrambler as it works fairly well now and is a blast around town. But my next bike will probably not be a Ducati.

Well, maybe if I get enough money one day I'll buy a Panigale to park in the living room smile.png

No issues with my 899 so far except the hot start issue that's fixed free and easily under warranty by removing the charcoal cannister which is just a Euro emissions thing. Approaching 8000 kms now on a tour of the north and it's not missed a beat.

I agree with Nikster though, these are not bikes to have as an only bike that you rely on daily through rain and shine. They're awesome, beautiful and loads of fun but it's best to have a cbr150/Ninja 250 or whatever in the garage for the dirty day to day stuff IMO. Then have a blast at the weekend on the Duc.

ive met tons of monster 795/796 owners.... none of them seem to mention any common issues like this....

is it just issues with the new models?

I think some models have more issues than others. The old monsters seem indeed quite reliable.

Those platforms have been around for a while though and one would expect most issues to be ironed out.

No issues with my 899 so far except the hot start issue that's fixed free and easily under warranty by removing the charcoal cannister which is just a Euro emissions thing. Approaching 8000 kms now on a tour of the north and it's not missed a beat.

I agree with Nikster though, these are not bikes to have as an only bike that you rely on daily through rain and shine. They're awesome, beautiful and loads of fun but it's best to have a cbr150/Ninja 250 or whatever in the garage for the dirty day to day stuff IMO. Then have a blast at the weekend on the Duc.

does the 1199 has the charcoal cannister aswell ?

^ no idea but it's a 30-45 minute job. Takes longer to remove the fairings than it does to disconnect the canister... I got Ducati to do it in case of warranty issues if I did it myself...

oh i see, thanks for the info

the first start (cold) was always with no issues. every other start while its engine is warm/hot needed me to give it some gas

sorry to hear this.

sometime i feel like Ducati is trying to rip off people.

great machines, probably the best designs but always problematic.

and sure Ducati made in Thailand does not add to the quality.

Archived