Govt eyes raising Thai workers' potential, cutting road deaths

webfact

Govt eyes raising Thai workers' potential, cutting road deaths

BANGKOK, 28 October 2015 (NNT) – The government has expressed determination to enhance the competitiveness of the Thai workforce and reduce the number of road accidents and fatalities ahead of the opening of the ASEAN Community.

Following the Cabinet meeting, Deputy Government Spokesperson Maj Gen Weerachon Sukhontapatipak disclosed that the Prime Minister briefed the attendants on the results of his previous discussion with industrial entrepreneurs. The premier said most were appreciative of the government’s policies concerning the development of special economic zones, investment, transport systems and industrial estates. The operators were assured that authorities would fix any of their problems as urgently as possible.

In preparation for the ASEAN regional integration, Maj Gen Weerachon added that the government is planning to strengthen the capacity of Thai workers. He said the premier has instructed the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board to provide intensive training and workshops for workers in each field. The move is aimed to equip them with the skills highly in demand in the market.

As for the problem of road safety in the country, the Deputy Government Spokesman relayed the Prime Minister’s concerns over the matter, saying it has been made a national agenda. All related agencies, including the Ministry of Transport, have been tasked with laying down more effective rules and regulations to curb road accidents and fatalities and bring about statistical improvements.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-28 footer_n.gif

"All related agencies, including the Ministry of Transport, have been tasked with laying down more effective rules and regulations to curb road accidents and fatalities and bring about statistical improvements."

Not MORE rules, enforce the current rules.

Bring about statistical improvements? I guess that means smaller sampling methods and restricted data gathering, that should improve the stats.

BANGKOK, 28 October 2015 (NNT) – The government has expressed determination to enhance the competitiveness of the Thai workforce and reduce the number of road accidents and fatalities ahead of the opening of the ASEAN Community.

Does the government think enhancing workforce competitiveness is like buying a degree from a Thai University? There are many significant reasons the Thai workforce is basically lacking in all areas of concern.

Road accidents can be lessened immediately IF ONLY there was a viable conscience Police Force in Thailand. These little "check points" don't seem to do much other than perhaps put Baht in Brown pockets.

Welcome to the land of complete incompetence.

The lack of contempt from many Thai people who drive on the roads, makes the likelihood of any (another) campaign to reduce road fatalities, destined to failure. Driving/Riding up and down the wrong side of the roads, not following road signs or protocol just makes the task nearly impossible. As well as effective policing.

Then the education of drivers on the road is significantly vital if a campaign is to be successful. Knowing breaking distance, signalling before moving, allowing others cars to manoeuvre when signalling, keeping a safe distance behind, working through the gears, not speeding, getting in lane are just a few of things are required by the drivers here in Thailand.

So excuse my scepticism. My biggest stress here is the daily drive here in Bangkok. People just don't seem to be just ignorant and uneducated when it comes to driving but don't seem to learn from past mistakes and have no compassion for fellow drivers. This article is 'hot air' with no decisive strategies to stop the continuous deaths on the roads.

The selfishness of drivers will continue and nothing will change unless a major overhaul is carried out. Which will never happen and this same message has been regurgitated for the last 15 years I have been here.

EFFECTIVE EDUCATION BY THE T. V. WITH SHORT CLIPS OF WHAT NOT TO DO , HOW TO DO, IS THE CHEAPEST FASTEST WAY TO EDUCATE THE MOST COMMON MISTAKES MADE BY DRIVERS, CHEAP AND RESULTS WILL BE IMMEDIATE, ADDS CAN BE SHOWN DURING SOCCER, PRIME SOAPS, NOT HARD TO DO,

First , to take the bull by the horns et c'est pas gagne cheesy.gif - they haven't won yet

Obligation to go to driving schools everywhere in Thailand, not only rarely in huge towns ;

Create a road police with excellent income ( like men in black in Brasil ) so they don't need to make " tolls" on the roads every end of each month of the year et c'est pas gagne cheesy.gif - they haven't won yet

Compulsory technik control for all vehicles every

-two years for cars

-every year for pickup and trucks

-every six months for buses and coaches

-spy in the cab for all vehicules more than 3,5t ,et c'est pas gagne cheesy.gif - they haven't won yet

-banning people in the dump body of all pickups et c'est pas gagne cheesy.gif - they haven't won yet

etc ..and so on ...et c'est pas gagne cheesy.gif - they haven't won yet

If they don't do like that, all they are saying, writting is like wind

"All related agencies, including the Ministry of Transport, have been tasked with laying down more effective rules and regulations to curb road accidents and fatalities and bring about statistical improvements."

However, nothing seems to be mentioned about ENFORCING said effective rules and regulations. If ASEAN brings about any prosperity that just means more money to pay out to make the infraction go away. As for statistics...Anyone can fudge them to make them meet the desired outcome.

Edited by jaltsc

To enhance the Thai workforce theyre gonna need a real education not the Mickey Mouse crap they are fed form birth, on top of that they are going to have to take pride in their work something Ive never seen yet unless they are prostrating themselves to he who must be obeyed.

The Thais are "eyeing." Thais love to "eye" things without a clue on how to implement and further, how to be successful.

But after they have finished "eyeing" then they can progress to "mulling", and who knows if that could lead to forming a committee.... or maybe just some "urging"....

The Thais are "eyeing." Thais love to "eye" things without a clue on how to implement and further, how to be successful.

But after they have finished "eyeing" then they can progress to "mulling", and who knows if that could lead to forming a committee.... or maybe just some "urging"....

Don't forget the "monitor" stage of the process and the obligatory happy ending of "expectation" !

In preparation for the ASEAN regional integration, Maj Gen Weerachon added that the government is planning to strengthen the capacity of Thai workers. He said the premier has instructed the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board to provide intensive training and workshops for workers in each field. The move is aimed to equip them with the skills highly in demand in the market.

ASEAN comes into effect 31 Dec 15, about two months from now....sure glad Thailand is so far ahead of the curve in preparation (giggle, giggle). Lot of words spoken over the last few years regarding Thailand's preparation for ASEAN integration but little action has occurred. Mostly talk; very little action.

Excellent! They certainly have a complex process.

To try to change the way Thais and Thailand view the appalling situation on the roads, would take a complete change of direction from Enforcement and Culture change coupled together with possibly some input from the Thai health system which has to pay to heal all those people injured , ( those costs must be immense I do not think they even thought about those costs )

This is a case where soundbites emanating from a Government will NOT do the job, it requires an actual plan coupled with as someone said proactive advertising and far stricter enforcement. Something sadly I do not think the people of Thailand will accept in the short term. maybe if the costs of ignoring the laws are made an heavier burden to pay then maybe just maybe people will start to change. But while we have the enforcers breaking the same laws with impunity, nowt will change. .

EFFECTIVE EDUCATION BY THE T. V. WITH SHORT CLIPS OF WHAT NOT TO DO , HOW TO DO, IS THE CHEAPEST FASTEST WAY TO EDUCATE THE MOST COMMON MISTAKES MADE BY DRIVERS, CHEAP AND RESULTS WILL BE IMMEDIATE, ADDS CAN BE SHOWN DURING SOCCER, PRIME SOAPS, NOT HARD TO DO,

Whilst I can understand what you are saying leeneeds, the last time I had my 5 year licence renewed besides the farcical reaction test and colour blind test. But of no consequence. They did have a gruesome real life video of people getting ripped up and torn apart in real accidents. Shocking to say the least. There was also a Thai style soap. One dark skinned Thai with his family very impatient driver, rushing every where. One very white skinned, kind, took his time with his perfect middle class family.

The ending is well.... obvious. the dark skinned man died from a road accident.

Whilst I find Most Thais very kind, considerate and well mannered. These traits seem to disappear and go once they get into a car and become aggressive, rude and inconsiderate to other drivers. Obviously not everyone before I get the if you don't like it why don't you go home then, cronies.

I would love to see change here for the better of the nation and of course less deaths. I think they would have to start from scratch. Which will never happen or take decades to change the mindset of people.

Do you really think that the average Thai is going to pay any attention to adds on the T V?

Just start enforcing the rules now and that's it. It is up to drivers to know the rules, most of which is common sense anyway.

Before anyone says Thai drivers don't have any common sense, I know that, but they will soon learn if the laws are enforced.

The lack of contempt from many Thai people who drive on the roads, makes the likelihood of any (another) campaign to reduce road fatalities, destined to failure. Driving/Riding up and down the wrong side of the roads, not following road signs or protocol just makes the task nearly impossible. As well as effective policing.

Then the education of drivers on the road is significantly vital if a campaign is to be successful. Knowing breaking distance, signalling before moving, allowing others cars to manoeuvre when signalling, keeping a safe distance behind, working through the gears, not speeding, getting in lane are just a few of things are required by the drivers here in Thailand.

So excuse my scepticism. My biggest stress here is the daily drive here in Bangkok. People just don't seem to be just ignorant and uneducated when it comes to driving but don't seem to learn from past mistakes and have no compassion for fellow drivers. This article is 'hot air' with no decisive strategies to stop the continuous deaths on the roads.

The selfishness of drivers will continue and nothing will change unless a major overhaul is carried out. Which will never happen and this same message has been regurgitated for the last 15 years I have been here.

I completely agree with your points however the only way to solve it is by real law enforcement I don't know if education is the answer alone.

It's not about culture I work all over the world and in countries with weak law enforcement the roads are chaotic. To be honest people from developed countries criticize Thai peoples behavior but deep down we are no better. Our driving behavior is kept in check by strict and costly law enforcement in our home countries.

Just look at how many long term expats slowly develop bad driving habits just like Thais. I admit that when I first started driving here 14 years ago I was appalled and very critical of how Thais drive. However over the years I find myself doing many of the same things.

I it funny how often I see a stupid stunt on the road I say "F**king Somchai" only to pass the vehicle and sea a Farang driving my wife always gets a laugh out of it.

Lay down more effective rules and regulations to curb road accidents and fatalities !

Eehhm a small point, what about enforcement ? Plenty of rules and regulations as it is but very little proper enforcement.

Hey NKK am I havin a bad day or have I seen some of these topics before.cheesy.gif

Government will never get road deaths down so just make sure all vehicles are fully insured including motorbikes, especially motorbikes. Not sure how your going to deal with kids on motorbikes.

Minibus drivers should have all driving spy in the cab and be made to take a further driving test on the road driving skills (Not videos or computers).

Then driving while on mobile phone should be an offence punishable by 12 months in prison

Lay down more effective rules and regulations to curb road accidents and fatalities !

Eehhm a small point, what about enforcement ? Plenty of rules and regulations as it is but very little proper enforcement.

The laws are on the books but it comes down to selective enforcement as the above announcement states will start but again it is warning the perpetrators who break the road rules. You must also have a viable BIB visibility to deter people from speeding and that is almost non existent. My condo is a good example. There is no viable BIB visibility outside my condo thus the rice rockets have taken over driving as fast as they darn well please with their after market mufflers blasting. A periodic blitz would slow things down but that is not in the cards. To much like work although I am sure the perps would cough up the tea cash. The shock value would last at least a week.

it is very simple. Thais live in a country where they have NO REAL SAY over their lives. and no education.

The moment they get behind the wheel, they experience real power. the power of life and death over you.

with their tinted windows to hide behind, they can pass you, cut you off, force you off the road.

the more you try to maintain a safe following distance with the car in front of you, the more crazed they become to pass you and fill in that space in front of you.

no matter how dangerous it is.

and the HISO are like that ALL THE TIME in everything they do.

Whilst I can understand what you are saying leeneeds, the last time I had my 5 year licence renewed besides the farcical reaction test and colour blind test. But of no consequence. They did have a gruesome real life video of people getting ripped up and torn apart in real accidents. Shocking to say the least. There was also a Thai style soap. One dark skinned Thai with his family very impatient driver, rushing every where. One very white skinned, kind, took his time with his perfect middle class family.

The ending is well.... obvious. the dark skinned man died from a road accident.

Whilst I find Most Thais very kind, considerate and well mannered. These traits seem to disappear and go once they get into a car and become aggressive, rude and inconsiderate to other drivers. Obviously not everyone before I get the if you don't like it why don't you go home then, cronies.

I would love to see change here for the better of the nation and of course less deaths. I think they would have to start from scratch. Which will never happen or take decades to change the mindset of people.

Was he run over by a white skinned one in a Ferrari????? or would that be too realistic?

Edited by kannot

Many people who have come here in their vehicles to deliver things often have NO handbrake and always rush around looking for a stone to wedge under their wheels while they drop off whatever..happens almost every time someone comes........just saying