Mandatory "retirement" at age 60 for farangs, Government Schools?

Yeah, like Aaron stated. If you're +60 and working, your obviously broke.

Some maybe, but certainly not all. Some people like to work. My academic father was working at Leicester University until he dropped dead at 89 years old. He chose to work because he liked to work.

I am approaching 57 years old and hope to take a year off from south east Asia to study on-campus in the UK for my PGCE, Then return to teach with my improved knowledge of teaching methodology etc. I hope to continue teaching until I'm into my 70's. It is not about the money.

They may be OK teachers in reality, its just not what Thai kids want, not difficult to see why

Many younger teachers are frankly unimaginative, inexperienced and the kids find them boring. It takes years of work experience to fine-tune one's own eccentricity and peculiar sense of humour. The students that I've taught - young and adult - appreciate having a teacher who is impossible to second-guess; it keeps them on their toes smile.png

It certainly can't be, I remember you were earning 1,000,000 baht a month until you married a Thai woman.

Yeah, I'm totally on board with older guys working to stay busy. I'm in a similar boat, bit more complicated.

Only trouble is most guys I've seen +60 are shot. Burnt. They are not teaching to stay busy. Have a look at the geezers on Ajarn. Sixty and done. Sheeit, they make me look young.

And honestly, its one thing if you're riding out your last job since 56 at +60 but only a broke ass teacher would be searching for ft employment +60, seriously.

This type is notorious in CM.

While I thoroughly understand teaching is our only possibility of employment here eg staying busy. If you come here at +60 you really should be doing anything but teaching.

Surely only an idiot would be dicking around on a B visa and all the complex hassles - for fun. That would be one stupid person, sorry.

Only trouble is, if you don't have a great gig which are rare as unicorn's teeth, it can be pretty miserable.

Are these people so shallow without hobbies or interests? They move half way round the world to travel, no... To stand in a 40 degree classroom and yell at teenagers all day in Issan. Too lol. Busy, err yeah.

As for the billionaire that plans to waste his life and his money getting (another?) degree and teach into his 70s. Wow, just kill me.

In last few years I've lost friends, relatives in early 70s. All work junkies, all flush with money. Dead.

So you keep working bro

Come 62 I'll be continuing my travels with the wife with one eye on property on a Thai island, coastal US. But hey...whatever. Workaholics are so one dimensional.

Edited by Mencken

Sure it's the law but do you know anyone (foreigner) who got severance from a government school?

I know people who tried but court threw it out every time. Five continuous 1 year contracts was not seen as full time !

Thai Government schools are exempt from the severance rules and laws. It isn't a matter of number of years of service vs one year contracts etc.. They are exempt. End of story and claims. You can however continue on the Social medical plan I think for life but certainly in to your senior years. You also get a lump sum settlement if you ask for it, at the Social office in your area. I don't know the minimum years of service required for these but it isn't something outlandish. Very reasonable. But forget this severance nonsense.

It certainly can't be, I remember you were earning 1,000,000 baht a month until you married a Thai woman.

LoL, Yes, I was earning that sort of money in the UK. Marriage (for me) was certainly a waste of time and money. Now I earn no more than 300,000 baht a month from my little hotels.

So for me, teaching is not about the money - I don't need the salary. It is more about helping my students to increase their knowledge.

As for the billionaire that plans to waste his life and his money getting (another?) degree and teach into his 70s. Wow, just kill me

Maybe a Lao Kip billionaire smile.png

How on earth can you consider learning and helping others to learn as a waste of one's life? I think you and I have a very different outlook on life.

You relax playing golf with your mates. I'l do something to help others....

Edited by simon43