Pattaya beach chair businesses banned after operator filmed shooing tourists

Jonathan Fairfield

Pattaya beach chair businesses banned after operator filmed shooing tourists

tourists_3.jpg

PATTAYA:-- The viral video of a vendor chasing tourists away for not buying her beach chairs prompted a crackdown on all beach chair businesses on Wong Amat beach yesterday.

The video, which was deemed to ruin the image of Thai tourism, forced Pattaya officials to order all four beach chair operators at Wong Amat beach to immediately shut down their businesses because the beach is public property, according to Commissioner Pol.Lt.Gen. Thanet Pinmuangam.

Thanet said the operators had failed to register their businesses and if they continue to set up beach chairs on public spaces, they will be prosecuted.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/10/29/pattaya-beach-chair-businesses-banned-after-operator-filmed-shooing-tourists

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-10-29

I know this woman and I'm a regular customer.

Her name is Nid on Wongamat beach, Naklua soi 18.

When you see the blue chairs, you are at her section.

In her defense, she pays rent and constantly maintains the beach so I suppose she feels entitlement to shoo away those that do not contribute or compensate her for her efforts. I sometimes sit at Nid's table and only order 1 drink and she is very welcoming over many years.

No beach in Thailand "belongs" to anyone. It has been tried in Phuket by hotels who declare the beach in front of their property "private".

Who is she paying rent to?

In her defense, she pays rent and constantly maintains the beach so I suppose she feels entitlement to shoo away those that do not contribute or compensate her for her efforts. I sometimes sit at Nid's table and only order 1 drink and she is very welcoming over many years.

This ladies downfall was her greed-I also have used this section of the beach for over 3 years-initially her chairs took up 50% (I never saw all her chairs occupied BTW) which was fine, still room left for others but over the past few months she has placed more and more chairs-in fact a total takeover with no consideration for anyone else.................I,m sorry but I have no sympathy for her or the many others who believe that the beaches and pavements outside their businesses belong to them whistling.gif

No beach in Thailand "belongs" to anyone. It has been tried in Phuket by hotels who declare the beach in front of their property "private".

In Phuket the beach mafia illegally commandeered the area in front of the hotels then sold it for millions.

One hotel presented a cashed check for 3 million. Another hotel has been extorted for 850,000bt per year do the mafia won't harass their guests.

The mafia wants to rent or sell every square centimeter of the public beach, footpath & parking,

Edited by RidgeRunner

So if my understanding is correct, then it is forbidden (illegal?) to use public space (I guess on a big scale, I'm not talking about the grills) to do business.

Additionally, the deck chair vendors have failed for years to register their businesses... (I guess the jet-ski scammers have registered their's...).

How on earth could these activities just escape the local BIBs? This is a rhetorical question, of course.

But at least the one deck chair lady was fined THB 1'000 for chasing away some hapless tourists from public space after the video appeared... Which initiated this total crackdown.

Maybe somebody hints Pattaya's Finest that there is also a beach in Jomtien? Hmmm, better not.

TIT.

post-208463-0-61488800-1446101766_thumb.

So if my understanding is correct, then it is forbidden (illegal?) to use public space (I guess on a big scale, I'm not talking about the grills) to do business.

Additionally, the deck chair vendors have failed for years to register their businesses... (I guess the jet-ski scammers have registered their's...).

How on earth could these activities just escape the local BIBs? This is a rhetorical question, of course.

But at least the one deck chair lady was fined THB 1'000 for chasing away some hapless tourists from public space after the video appeared... Which initiated this total crackdown.

Maybe somebody hints Pattaya's Finest that there is also a beach in Jomtien? Hmmm, better not.

TIT.

attachicon.gifenough_for_today.jpg

IMHO it should be law that all street vendors should have a licence...

That is anyone who trades in the street or on public land should have a licence.

There is a need and market for many types of businesses but the need regulation as to their numbers, the scoop, size, where and when they can operate to prevent turf wars, rip off's, tax evasion, food poisoning (by food vendors), obstructions of public right of ways.

i have never been to "Wong Amat beach".
is it nicer there ? (aside from gun-shooting salespeople)

does it mean that the police will not allow deck-chair sellers on Wong Amat beach only? or are they talking the whole of Pattaya?

What will people lay down on when they want to sunbathe? and where will people sit?

I assume if they remove deckchair vendors, then they will provide free chairs instead, yes?

but actually i am pretty sure that they have a few days or a week of not allowing the sellers,, and then they let them back again. (coz thats Thai Style). Lol

I would not give those Isan rats 1 baht and would employ 2 good security boys well trained in combat for any attitude adjustment

Mafia my ass

In Phuket the beach mafia illegally commandeered the area in front of the hotels then sold it for millions.

One hotel presented a cashed check for 3 million. Another hotel has been extorted for 850,000bt per year do the mafia won't harass their guests.

The mafia wants to rent or sell every square centimeter of the public beach, footpath & parking,

TIT.

attachicon.gifenough_for_today.jpg

IMHO it should be law that all street vendors should have a licence...

That is anyone who trades in the street or on public land should have a licence.

There is a need and market for many types of businesses but the need regulation as to their numbers, the scoop, size, where and when they can operate to prevent turf wars, rip off's, tax evasion, food poisoning (by food vendors), obstructions of public right of ways.

Every single vendor out there on the beach, footpath, or Soi is paying.

They wouldn't last 30 minutes setting up shop out there without approval from the mafia(gov/police)

The goal of the city staff and police is to exploit every square centimetre of public space for personal profit.

Most countries consider beach areas to be public land. Thailand's government officials/police have to be held accountable for allowing this practice to flourish.

RTP think they are running the country and also think they override politicians and charters

They are mafia taking money in with the vendors

Guess what your party is over speak to Mr P

It's hard to lay flat on those deck chairs if you want to tan up like most white euros do. Lying flat on the sand on a towel or Matt is much better. I cannot get comfortable in those chairs.It is a public beach which the jet ski and beach vendors pay the town council which in turn pay the police. Those beach vendors think they own the beach and I doubt they have a license or pay tax.

They should all be banned. They ate all doing this in some form. No reason to think they would do any differently when the government does the same thing to visitors. With duel pricing. Almost the dame and condones a rip off attitude. Telling all Thais its ok to rip off foreigners. Of euro. Or western decent. Asian foreigners simply wont pay the dual price discrimination.

All the assets of these baech vendors and their relations should be confisticated by the NCPO immediately and they should be jailed as they have been using public land to genarate profits form teh past few years. These scumbags and their families should just be left to rot and no decent person should have any sympathy for these dogs. I really hope people like thse die very slowly and suffer.

If one wants to lie on a beach on their towel that's fine...but at least pick a spot a little bit away from a business that is trying to make a living renting chairs for people to sit in the sun, common sense I would have thought, although uncaring people seem to regularly lack same.

what the deck chair vendor lady should have done is take the beach goers a menu, recommended the daily special and offer a slight discount on a chair if they purchase a meal.... everyone's a winner.

If the beach goers decline repeat as above every 5 mins until they move on..... job done.

How different it is at the beaches near Rayong

We often have picnics there, and sitting in deck chairs around tables under umbrellas.......the lady operating them came down to us, full of smiles, even though we had bought our food at a nearby restaurant, my wife gave her the money for hiring,

Afterwards I asked how much had she paid her......40 baht was all she wanted.....I sent my wife after her with another 60 baht.....her lovely attitude was worth that.

If Pattaya followed this example the place would be wonderful.........