Pattaya beach vendor fined for chasing away family of foreign tourists

Jonathan Fairfield

Again: Beach vendor chases tourist family away for not renting chairs (VIDEO)

tourists_2.jpg

PATTAYA:-- Pattaya police today fined a beach vendor after a video was posted online showing her chase away a family of tourists who were trying to lie on the sand next to her beach chair business on the public Wong Amat beach.

"The tourists were laying their towels down and she's chasing them away," the person who took the video said. "She shoos them every day. This is a public beach. Terrible."

Police tracked down the vendor, later identified as Winij Mahaprap, 51, and detained her for questioning.

Winij admitted she chases tourists away because they place their beach towels close to her beach chairs. She apologized for ruining the image of Thai tourism.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-10-28

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Do these "beach vendors" officially pay rent to some body/authority (a.k.a. public "servants") for the right to block / use a defined spot on public space for their business? Do they have some kind of license to do their business?

With "officially" I do not mean the "standard" a. k. a. tea money.

Pattaya Deckchair Operators banned from Wongamat Beach by Police

chair-3.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Following a viral Facebook video depicting the eviction of a Russian Family from a Beach in Pattaya by a female Deckchair Operator, all operators on Wongamat Beach in North Pattaya have been banned from trading with effect from 6pm on Thursday.

The video was posted by a rival deckchair operator, Khun Gunpon, on the popular “We Love Pattaya” Thai Language Facebook Group earlier this week, despite the video being shot more than 1 month ago.

Khun Gunpon decided to post it as he had an argument with Khun Winit aged 51, who works next to him on the beach. He now regrets posting the video as he was unaware of its potential impact on the image of Pattaya.

Police have fined Khun Winit 1,000 Baht because of the video which appears to show her moving on a group of Russian Tourists from an area of Wongamat Beach she uses for Deckchairs. The local authorities reminded her that none of the operators own any part of the beach and beachgoers have a right to sit anywhere on the beach they wish, and if they do not wish to use the deckchairs this is their right.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218777/pattaya-deckchair-operators-banned-from-wongamat-beach-by-police/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-10-29

PATTAYA: -- Following a viral Facebook video depicting the eviction of a Russian Family from a Beach in Pattaya by a female Deckchair Operator, all operators on Wongamat Beach in North Pattaya have been banned from trading with effect from 6pm on Thursday.

The video was posted by a rival deckchair operator, Khun Gunpon, on the popular “We Love Pattaya” Thai Language Facebook Group earlier this week, despite the video being shot more than 1 month ago.

Khun Gunpon decided to post it as he had an argument with Khun Winit aged 51, who works next to him on the beach. He now regrets posting the video as he was unaware of its potential impact on the image of Pattaya.

Police have fined Khun Winit 1,000 Baht because of the video which appears to show her moving on a group of Russian Tourists from an area of Wongamat Beach she uses for Deckchairs. The local authorities reminded her that none of the operators own any part of the beach and beachgoers have a right to sit anywhere on the beach they wish, and if they do not wish to use the deckchairs this is their right.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218777/pattaya-deckchair-operators-banned-from-wongamat-beach-by-police/

pattaya-one.jpg

With such wishy washy ridicules punishments, no wonder those vendors are keep offending day after day,

time after time with impunity, knowing full well that they only risk a slap on the wrist and a meager fine,

same with the ladyboys that are rounded up every time the cops need some money... nothing has changed,

and nothing will change... it is them versus the farangs...

Good that some action was undertaken.

Better her concession was suspended..........

Perhaps given to someone less domineering.

Or declared a free area where tourists can put down towels, bring their own chairs etc.

Edited by jacko45k

pattaya-one.jpg

Not entirely sure how this action is going to solve the ongoing problem as there will still be people visiting the beach actually wanting deck chairs. They will now be deprived of this service.

Once again, IMO, it shows the changing times. It now appears that if it is not for the social media displaying these events, nothing is done about it. What ever happened to the complaint systems they were spending so much time setting up for the protection of tourists?

Australia has thousands of km's of beach yet i cant recall ever seeing one of those dreadful dumpy looking chairs.

Theyre probably banned. lol

The Beach chair originated in the UK didnt it? Theyre primarly for old farts who want to sit under an umbrella.

I would get rid of all beach chairs because they make the beach look like a rubbish tip.

Better to set up a chair when someone asks for one.

People go to the beach for the beauty of the ocean and beach. This beauty s spoil by unsightly dirty old furniture and umbrellas.

The operators near my condo are very poor in cash and intelligence. They push their rubbish just aside of their beach 'stake out' -----even into the sea. Its too much trouble to take rubbish to the city hall collection area

Its much nicer in quiet season when they stay home.

The biggest problem that needs fixing is the storm water run off of that goes into the sea. People are illegally draining their household sewerage into storm water pipes. The population has grown too big for this to be still allowed happen.

People go to the beach for the beauty of the ocean and beach. This beauty s spoil by unsightly dirty old furniture and umbrellas.

The operators near my condo are very poor in cash and intelligence. They push their rubbish just aside of their beach 'stake out' -----even into the sea. Its too much trouble to take rubbish to the city hall collection area

The biggest problem that needs fixing is the storm water run off of that goes into the sea. People are illegally draining their household sewerage into storm water pipes. The population has grown too big for this to be still allowed happen.

Stupid question... is there anything enjoyable about Pattaya? I have never been.

There are many places in the Caribbean that are crazy about the beach chair rentals. Better just to find a more remote enjoyable beach.

The entire country is draining their sewage into the rivers. Have a look at the blue pipes that run from the toilets to the rivers at Mae Wang, Mae Taeng and Huey Tung Tao... straight into the water where people are swimming.

Mmmm, let's enjoy some fish today....5555

Australia has thousands of km's of beach yet i cant recall ever seeing one of those dreadful dumpy looking chairs.

The Beach chair originated in the UK didnt it? Theyre primarly for old farts who want to sit under an umbrella.

I would get rid of all beach chairs because they make the beach look like a rubbish tip.

I'm an old retired fart from the UK who has no immediate desire to sit in direct sunlight and suffer skin cancer. Maybe you prefer to spend time in hospital undergoing treatment, with no guarantee of success. Then again, maybe your idea of going to the beach revolves around a bar stool on the opposite side of Beach Road. When I go to the beach, I take my own chair and try, wherever possible to find the shade of a tree to sit under.

Stupid question... is there anything enjoyable about Pattaya? I have never been.

There are many places in the Caribbean that are crazy about the beach chair rentals. Better just to find a more remote enjoyable beach.

The entire country is draining their sewage into the rivers. Have a look at the blue pipes that run from the toilets to the rivers at Mae Wang, Mae Taeng and Huey Tung Tao... straight into the water where people are swimming.

Mmmm, let's enjoy some fish today....5555

Pattaya is a good place to go shopping from time to time.

Remove everyone of those beach venders. I mean all of then put public beach showers and toilets in as well as seating. Let 7-11 sell the goodies and food. These vendors ate nothing but beach mafia. And make everyone uncomfortable who does not buy from them. Then the beaches will ne full. Guaranteed. Sick of thier bullshit. Enough is enough...

I like sitting on a chair under a parasol if the sun is strong as it often is in Thailand and I am not an old fart. But I agree when those vendors put thousands of them on the beach it looks pretty sh&t. I think they should have them stacked off the beach and errect them as and when someone requests. That way the beach looks clear and everyone gets what they want, pretty smile solution really.

And no, the deck chair (folding chair) did not originate in the UK, they go as far back as ancient Egypt.

Not entirely sure how this action is going to solve the ongoing problem as there will still be people visiting the beach actually wanting deck chairs. They will now be deprived of this service.

Once again, IMO, it shows the changing times. It now appears that if it is not for the social media displaying these events, nothing is done about it. What ever happened to the complaint systems they were spending so much time setting up for the protection of tourists?

They probably formed a committee, which then decided to form another committee to study the situitation. Report due sometime before 2020.

But why didn't they hire a beach chair? What's there problem?

Believe it or not, some people actually prefer to lie on a towel on the sand. I used to prefer this myself in my younger days on holiday in Spain.

Also, I have to say that if you wish to read or just look at any action on the sea, the deck chairs recline too far back even at their highest setting. Being on a sloping beach exacerbates this.

No more than 50% of the beach should be occupied by these vendors at any time. Not enough free available beach to have TAT advertise it as a beach. When you have to pay for a place to sit it is a professional beach, not a public beach.