Thailand in top-10 worldwide plastic trashers

boomerangutang

Stop it --or say goodbye to life on the planet as we knew it!!!

Lets ALL do our bit to reduce pollution

the only way to stop plastic bags clogging our drains, killing marine life, polluting the country side, is for governments to force the change and make it happen, from plastic shopping bags to paper biodegradable bags.

why don't they force them ?

they don't really care about the future ?

a couple of excepts from the article in Nat'l Geo:

To make the figure eight million tons comprehensible, Jenna Jambeck, the University of Georgia environmental engineer who led the study, likens it to lining up five grocery bags of trash on every foot of coastline around the globe. "And by 2025, those five grocery bags of plastic are going to be ten bags," she says.

Ocean plastic has turned up literally everywhere. It has been found in the deep sea and buried in Arctic ice. It has been ingested with dire consequences by some 700 species of marine wildlife.

Source: National Geographic News

I didn't see whether there was a per-capita figure on plastic trash going in the oceans. Though China is by-far the largest polluter, they also have a large population. Interesting that India didn't make the top-10. Thailand, with a much smaller population and large output, could possibly be number 1 in per-capita plastic trash makers. Maybe we're the hub after all ?!

Edited by boomerangutang

Do as they did in the UK, you want a bag, you pay for it, if they werent free give-a-ways, and the people had to pay for them, and the stores had to give the money for the bags to to the Government to help pay environmental costs.

It wouldnt stop it but would help reduce it.

As a sustainability nerd i was horrified when i first arrived here to see the amount of superfluous plastic used, a single piece of fruit needing to be encased in a bag at 7-11, Big-C or Tesco-Lotus to be priced. Other places apply a simple sticker with a UPC number. When i raised the issue, i was told that Thailand had invented a biodegradable plastic from cassava, hence there was no harmful waste. Was this just a line or is there any truth to it?

Not just one bag, but often multiple layers of plastic - for nearly every consumer item. Yet, there are bigger chunks of plastic churned out each hour of each day: There are large items like furniture, plastic boats, large toys, utility items, ....the list is long and wide.

Plastic doesn't completely degrade in the ocean. At best it degrades over decades to large inorganic molecules - and forms a massive goop. None of its lesser-sized products do any good for any living thing. Plastic bits the size of small seeds are multi-colored and are readily eaten by many sea creatures. It provides zero nutrition and instead packs up inside their bodies and kills them. So, plastic and its residue badly affect sea creatures through the entire spectrum, from smallest (plankton, one-celled organisms, krill) ....on up to whales and whale sharks. People are one of several species at the top of the food chain, so anyone who eats seafood is eating some measure of plastic. Bon apetite. I chose to stop eating shellfish as a young boy. Later I stopped eating tuna due to overfishing. Now, I avoid all food grown in the sea or fresh water. Q: where can you find clean bodies of water - anywhere?

Not just one bag, but often multiple layers of plastic - for nearly every consumer item. Yet, there are bigger chunks of plastic churned out each hour of each day: There are large items like furniture, plastic boats, large toys, utility items, ....the list is long and wide.

Plastic doesn't completely degrade in the ocean. At best it degrades over decades to large inorganic molecules - and forms a massive goop. None of its lesser-sized products do any good for any living thing. Plastic bits the size of small seeds are multi-colored and are readily eaten by many sea creatures. It provides zero nutrition and instead packs up inside their bodies and kills them. So, plastic and its residue badly affect sea creatures through the entire spectrum, from smallest (plankton, one-celled organisms, krill) ....on up to whales and whale sharks. People are one of several species at the top of the food chain, so anyone who eats seafood is eating some measure of plastic. Bon apetite. I chose to stop eating shellfish as a young boy. Later I stopped eating tuna due to overfishing. Now, I avoid all food grown in the sea or fresh water. Q: where can you find clean bodies of water - anywhere?

"But which bodies of water are truly the cleanest and the clearest? Where in the world do breath-taking aesthetics reflect the science of “pristine”?

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20120810-travelwise-the-planets-pristine-waters

and here:

" check out our list of 35 of the most clearest waters in the world to swim in"

http://dailynewsdig.com/35-clearest-waters-world-swim-die/

Yes, I agree.......... I usually carry a small back pack so as much as possible I refuse refuse plastic bags when shopping in Thailand. If my thai lady is with me, I ask her to tell the cashier why.

the only way to stop plastic bags clogging our drains, killing marine life, polluting the country side, is for governments to force the change and make it happen, from plastic shopping bags to paper biodegradable bags.

Because the relation between cause and effect is totally unknown here...

The filth deposited on pretty much every bit of vacant land here is truly amazing. No wonder the seas around here are the same. Obviously not everyone is to blame, but until a large proportion of Thais shrug off their idleness sufficient to look for a bin it will not improve.

I carry a reusable bag with me every time i go to the mall, a supermarket or anywhere I will be shopping. I forbid the clerks to put anything in plastic bags. When I eat out, I bring my own bottle of water, which I have filled with the 20 liter bottles I fill up at the machines. No restaurants ever object. If they do, I explain my reasons. If they do not get it, I strike them from my list. I don't want to consume a bottle of plastic unnecessarily. In this manner I save about 600 bottles a year of plastic, and probably over a thousand plastic bags. We can all do our part. It requires a bit of effort. But it is something that makes me feel good and benefits the planet in a small way. Something has to be done.

Edited by spidermike007

Yes, I agree.......... I usually carry a small back pack so as much as possible I refuse refuse plastic bags when shopping in Thailand. If my thai lady is with me, I ask her to tell the cashier why.

Most plastic bags from shops are used again for the garbage.-- needed for vacuum cleaner dust and food scraps etc.(better than using new ones for that)

It seems that the poorer Asians haven't yet grasped the idea of disposing of waste considerately.

I group of filmmakers and cinema people are working on a film festival with prizes to assist in the process, see link:

http://filmtheatres.com/sea-thailand-film-festival-pattaya-march-2016/

As a sustainability nerd i was horrified when i first arrived here to see the amount of superfluous plastic used, a single piece of fruit needing to be encased in a bag at 7-11, Big-C or Tesco-Lotus to be priced. Other places apply a simple sticker with a UPC number. When i raised the issue, i was told that Thailand had invented a biodegradable plastic from cassava, hence there was no harmful waste. Was this just a line or is there any truth to it?

yea , and my ex wife told her new boyfriend she is a virgen and our sons were her little brothers ...........

Yay sisters....lets chop down all the trees so we can go shopping with paper bags.

Didn't think this one through, did you?

Let stop it or we will say good bye with our planet. We can change plastic by Labile compounds. Let save our planet now, not in future.

With myself, I won't never use plastic . If I use, I will throw them in the trash

Trash doesn't go away...it just goes somewhere else.

Yay sisters....lets chop down all the trees so we can go shopping with paper bags.

Didn't think this one through, did you?

good point, I think paper bags can be made out of grass an other material which grows fast, I remember seeing something in Japan, whereby they produce paper from bark .

In Europe a new law state ''no more free plastic bags''

they cost €0.10 cents each and supermarkets report

low sales of the checkout plastic bags, sales of rolls

of plastic bags are going through the roof, you can't

just stop years of habit, they must have an alternative.

Funny! Asia after all is the most polluted & non-caring in such pollution in all the world, except maybe France. We need our plastic here for our trash bins, rather not follow stupid America in killing all the trees in exchange for paper bags or (corporate) requiring buyers to purchase plastic or cloth bags to carry their already expensive purchased merchandise.

Every time I shop at a store they automatically begin stuffing the goods into plastic bags and each time I have to quickly intervene and say; no bags thank you. If I blink my eyes it`s already too late,the goods have been thrown into bags, their hands are faster then the eyes.

The shop staff are just like monkeys in harness, just do without a care and without thinking. Unless proper initiatives to stop handing out plastic bags comes from the government and the store owners, this practice of giving out plastic bags without a thought will continue. Doubt this will happen, because since when have Thais ever been concerned about their environment?

I just recently tried to get some of my Thai facebook journo friends to run with this link... Not one of them bothered with it.

www.facebook.com/Plastic-fuel-400332726843716/?pnref=story. Interesting, but not sure about the oil companies competition and how they would like to lose their revenue.

Is it being done in Thailand already? I saw no Thai links in the original story.