Thai embassy website - METV requirements starting 13th Nov 2015

btw, i dont think thailand is worried about a few thousand or so "farangs" trying to game the system, so they can remain in Thailand

there expecting 7 million Chinese next year :-)

Thailand has always ONLY wanted "real" tourists

and everyone knows who that is and i will bet $$ to donuts there not here on Thai Visa

I got money exchanges business I know ppls moneys. Chinese exchange very little.

My fiend is in travel business.

Chinese stays in cheapest hotels and eat in 7/11

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

You have a legal money exchange business as a non-Thai person ?

How did you get all the necessary licences etc ?

You need to read the US requirements again. It says a valid visa is acceptable.not just residency. No change there that is what they have wanted before to get visas.

So if valid US visa is acceptable in US, what about valid Cambodian visa to apply in Cambodia for METV. I don't know why it is still unclear :/
It has been the case for a long time that some embassies have different restrictions regarding who may apply for a Thai visa. So it is not surprising that the embassies are now applying different rules for different visas categories.

You may like all the rules for all the embassies to be the same, but they aren't and won't be.

It seems quite likely that embassies that are a long way from Thailand are more likely to allow non residents to apply for more kinds of visa, but each embassy can set its own restrictions.

So the PP embassy that have been issuing visas to non residents for ages can be considered a long way from Thailand?
I guess that you are talking about the Phnom Penh embassy and if so then Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Cambodian nationals or those with proof of permanent residence in Cambodia.

You may have miss read my post to imply that SETV would not be given near by, that was not my meaning I was talking about METV's probably not being easily available near to Thailand to nonpermernant residents of the countries.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

METV are for Asians on tour in organised groups.

Don't tell me a 6 month visa for 5000 Baht is of any relevance for 3 to 5 day Chinese tourists who pay about 1xxxx Baht for their whole trip.

To me it is still a mystery whom they address with this METV.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

You need to read the US requirements again. It says a valid visa is acceptable.not just residency. No change there that is what they have wanted before to get visas.
So if valid US visa is acceptable in US, what about valid Cambodian visa to apply in Cambodia for METV. I don't know why it is still unclear :/
It has been the case for a long time that some embassies have different restrictions regarding who may apply for a Thai visa. So it is not surprising that the embassies are now applying different rules for different visas categories.

You may like all the rules for all the embassies to be the same, but they aren't and won't be.

It seems quite likely that embassies that are a long way from Thailand are more likely to allow non residents to apply for more kinds of visa, but each embassy can set its own restrictions.

So the PP embassy that have been issuing visas to non residents for ages can be considered a long way from Thailand?
I guess that you are talking about the Phnom Penh embassy and if so then Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Cambodian nationals or those with proof of permanent residence in Cambodia.

You may have miss read my post to imply that SETV would not be given near by, that was not my meaning I was talking about METV's probably not being easily available near to Thailand.

Agree that METV will not be given outside your home country.

At least not in a bigger scale.

Many people seem to have an idea what "Thailand wants" vis-a-vis "real tourists" as measured by some "go home after X-time" standard. The fact is, they could simply say "9 months max on TVs per year" and that would be that. They could make it illegal for anyone not married or over 50 to open a bank-account here (not that this precludes having one somewhere else, from which the $$->Baht originates).

They have not done these things, which means people making these claims are incorrect.

Those who can afford new passports and travel can hop around on single-entries for eternity. Those who can meet the METV requirements can do that for eternity. They clearly don't want to boot out people who can afford these steps to "be gone," after a "short tour," or that is what the rules would dictate.

...with a price tag of 500,000 Baht, exactly those kinds of people Thailand wants to entertain and anyone can do their math, it is cheaper to take the PE visa for 5 years as compared to flying back every 9 months to their home country.

I did the math. The PE is less hassle, yes, but for a huge up-front premium, vs pay-as-you go for less than 1/2 the cost. That's for an American flying all the way to Hawaii. Many will have much cheaper flights.

Let's not kid ourselves, if you want to stay in Thailand for six-months you really should have $8000+ in your bank account. Trust me, this is for your own good....

Nope, not trusting you at all.

Thailand is not Monaco or London or Tokyo or Moscow. It's not exorbitant. A modest mobile income and you're fine.

Will get into Chiang Mai next Thursday night, with maybe half that amount. Staying on a 3-entry visa. Planning to be there quite a while.

You play your hand, I'll play mine.

i agree with HikeforLA thumbsup.gif for 6 months night life in Puhket , 8.000 is very very poor..... facepalm.gif but one who just want to go around in Surin province will be happy with this money... biggrin.png

• Like 1

its not just $8,000 to spend

You have to show IN UR HOME account a balance of $8,000 for 6 months,

I would say an average single tourist or couple spends $75-125/day excluding high priced gifts.

And prove of employment.

• Like 1

btw, i dont think thailand is worried about a few thousand or so "farangs" trying to game the system, so they can remain in Thailand

and everyone knows who that is and i will bet $$ to donuts there not here on Thai Visa

They are not worried about falangs.

Side effects concerning a subgroup of falangs is just that.

sorry BULL

Asians do not need a 6 month multi entry visa to come to thailand for 4-7 days. they can get a single entry.

and i doubt they will come 3 or more times/year

Those that do are coming here illegally an working (Burmese, Laotians,.Cambodians) and have no interest in a visa for tourism LOL

I see this visa ONLY affecting those that have been using Laos for a double entry. and now they will need rely on single entries until that door is closed to ONLY 3 of them in a row

PS its FARANG!

Thailand wants an has ONLY ever wanted tourist's to come here for 1-4 weeks, spend their money an go home,

TO think otherwise , ur delusional.

They are not worried about falangs.

Side effects concerning a subgroup of falangs is just that.

sorry BULL

Asians do not need a 6 month multi entry visa to come to thailand for 4-7 days. they can get a single entry.

and i doubt they will come 3 or more times/year

Those that do are coming here illegally an working (Burmese, Laotians,.Cambodians) and have no interest in a visa for tourism LOL

I see this visa ONLY affecting those that have been using Laos for a double entry. and now they will need rely on single entries until that door is closed to ONLY 3 of them in a row

PS its FARANG!

Thailand wants an has ONLY ever wanted tourist's to come here for 1-4 weeks, spend their money an go home,

TO think otherwise , ur delusional.

" ONLY 3 of them in a row "

is this already an existing official policy and after you have received 3 how long must the gap be until the next ones can start to be issued?

.....I see this visa ONLY affecting those that have been using Laos for a double entry. and now they will need rely on single entries until that door is closed to ONLY 3 of them in a row

This is ONLY my opinion, not policy, but can see this is where they are headed.

I got money exchanges business I know ppls moneys. Chinese exchange very little.

My fiend is in travel business.

Chinese stays in cheapest hotels and eat in 7/11

In the hotel where I always stay a room to a Chinese goes for 2500 Baht a night and Ctrip has 40 rooms daily allocated. The rooms at Sofitel Soi13/15 which is almost 35% used by Chinese from Mainland China goes for 3400 Baht to the Chinese. Next to the Pullman is a duty free shopping and rooms are stable at Baht 2900 per night and 60% are Chinese tourists.

Chinese that come to Bangkok come for shopping and many are FIT tourists which stay for an average of 4-7 days and they are using UnionPay debit cards. Many eat on the roadsides.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Also you will not require proof of funds. The earlier poster (Jack) that suggested opening a thai bank account, I think that's a good tip.

I have bank account in Thailand already, contract for rented house, thai driving license, bills for phone and some fines from the police foe parking car in wrong place, The question is if I should admit to that smile.png I am a tourist, I would even say permanent tourist but bank accounts, etc are not usual for tourists. That's another unknown thing if it should help or make it worse.

I'll give you a gold star for thinking outside the box mate,but a permanent tourist visa is nor gunna get you anywhere,neither is the other useless paperwork.Back home for xmas,don't forget your long johns.

*** officially launched to tourists of all nationalities and from Friday 13 November 2015***

*** replace the tourist visas previously issued for two and three entries which will be no longer available by 13 November 2015***

7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa

I am sure they are NOT referring to a simple tourist visa=========or even if not,

how many expats that are NON American are going to get a visa to the states and than travel to the states to get a tourist visa for Thailand :-)

Now thats an expensive visa ever 6 months LOL

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Please look past the obvious. The fact that USA will issue an METV to say me, an Australian if I was currently in the USA , indicates that some other countries will do the same. My guess is some loss consulates will have similar rules. Meaning, if so you go to say Vientiane with a loas visa. The rest is obvious. Go back to your post. You stated metv only available to USA residents. Incorrect

Maybe,but what happens when you fly in from the States,and show your Ozzy passport,with your brand new METV.Up to you to go this route but certainly up to IO to let you in.They will be ready for all the farang rorters.

Don't tell me a 6 month visa for 5000 Baht is of any relevance for 3 to 5 day Chinese tourists who pay about 1xxxx Baht for their whole trip.

Isn't visa on arrival for 30 days still available.

Chinese get a 15 day visa on arrival (not to be mixed up with 30 day visa exemption).

So these short time tourists definitely have no use/need for a TR or METV.

• Like 1

VOA's are only available to citizens of 28 countries

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/48

Were you thinking about "visa exempt" entries which are not "visas" ?

• 4 months later...

Chinese get a 15 day visa on arrival (not to be mixed up with 30 day visa exemption).

So these short time tourists definitely have no use/need for a TR or METV.

Chinese probably have more reason to obtain a METV than most westerners since

1) Chinese citizens are generally not allowed to leave China without a Thai visa in their passports no matter they can fly to Thailand and buy a VOA

2) Only a few border checkpoints issue VOA - although all international airports do

3) 15 days is not a long time and there is an increasing trend for Chinese to travel to other countries in the region and spend longer periods of time travelling

4) Chinese generally can't apply for Thai visas outside of China, so if they wanted to travel to Cambodia and back to Thailand overland, assuming there are even any checkpoints that offer VOA (Aranyaprathet maybe? maybe not?) they would need a re-entry permit but more than likely, either a SETV with re-entry permit or a METV would be best for them

Finally, unlike westerners who can get free visa entry or VOA to nearly every country in the region, or in the case of countries like Vietnam and Myanmar can easily apply for a visa while already in the region, Chinese aren't able to border hop so easily. Only if they have multiple entry visas or can obtain them on arrival (like in the case of Laos and Cambodia but only if already outside of China) is it relatively straightforward.