Temperatures drop as upper Thailand enters winter season

rooster59

Temperatures drop as upper Thailand enters winter season

BANGKOK, 30 October 2015 (NNT) - Temperatures in the North and Northeast of Thailand will begin to drop tomorrow, as a high pressure system from China enters Thailand.

The Meteorological Department reported that northern and northeastern provinces will also experience a short period of rainfall, due to the high pressure system in the region before temperatures start falling.

Thundershowers have been forecast mostly in the northern provinces of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Tak, Phitsanulok, Phichit and Phetchabun. Morning temperatures were recorded at 20-24 degrees Celsius, with the lowest temperatures in the mountaintops at 10-15 degrees Celsius.

The Northeast has also been experiencing cool mornings, where temperatures dropped to 21-24 degrees Celsius, with the lowest temperatures in the mountaintops at 14-18 degrees Celsius. Thundershowers were also predicted in 20% of the region.

The department forecast rain in only a handful of provinces in the Central Plains, including Bangkok and its vicinity, and the East. Meanwhile, the majority of southern provinces are expected to experience heavy rain today.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-30 footer_n.gif

Time to get the jacket out.

A good point. However, without sounding really harsh, I wonder how long it will be before we see the usual 'collections' here in Pattaya for the purchase of winter clothing for the people in the north.?

We've had them before and I was told that those who benefitted from the cash then sold the wooly jumpers etc once the weather turned hot again.

A good point. However, without sounding really harsh, I wonder how long it will be before we see the usual 'collections' here in Pattaya for the purchase of winter clothing for the people in the north.?

We've had them before and I was told that those who benefitted from the cash then sold the wooly jumpers etc once the weather turned hot again.

All the shoping Malls up here in Chiang Mai have been selling warm jacks ,from independent retailers for B150 fixed price for a month now .They are second hand and imported .The one i bought comes from Switzerland .Very good condition ,almost like new .

Rode the bike down out of Khao Yai around midday today. Until about 6 km before the Nern Hom (Prachinburi) gate, it was cool and then over the next 10 km, it was like someone had fired up the furnace and it was like riding into a hairdryer.

All the shoping Malls up here in Chiang Mai have been selling warm jacks ,from independent retailers for B150 fixed price for a month now .They are second hand and imported .The one i bought comes from Switzerland .Very good condition ,almost like new .

I guess it was a Swiss-Chinese cooperation.

Well, the Mekong river starts in Tibet, I should think that's Thailand's only connection with a cold place. It's a tropical country, a few days of cooler weather don't make a winter.

I needed to dig my jeans and long sleeved shirts when there was a cold streak of 3-4 days here in Chiang Mai (planes, not up in the mountains) the other week. Outdoor temp showed 16 centigrade at morning time, and maxed at 24 during the daytime - no sun, just rainclouds - I can tell you I was freezing my balls off, after several months of night-temps of 23-26, and daytime-temps of 30-36 :D I guess I'm too acclimatised for my own well beeing already x)

Attached the Yearly Avg Temp of CM area

post-221212-0-03039500-1446226059_thumb.

Well, the Mekong river starts in Tibet, I should think that's Thailand's only connection with a cold place. It's a tropical country, a few days of cooler weather don't make a winter.

I think the north and north east are sub tropical.

The north east doesn't seem to get that cold but it does get winds which can make it feel a bit cold.

I hate upper Thailand this time of year. No rain = lots of burning. lots of burning = haze/poor air quality. The shroud of filth gets progressively worse for 6 months and everyone just acts as if they don't notice, except up to hundreds of thousands that end up going to the hospital for respiratory problems.

I hate upper Thailand this time of year. No rain = lots of burning. lots of burning = haze/poor air quality. The shroud of filth gets progressively worse for 6 months and everyone just acts as if they don't notice, except up to hundreds of thousands that end up going to the hospital for respiratory problems.

That's a measure of EQ...looking beyond I, me and myself...

Don't know the meaning of the word cold.

I'll help.

"of or at a low or relatively low temperature, especially when compared with the human body.

"a freezing cold day"

synonyms:chilly, chill, cool, freezing, icy,snowy, wintry, frosty, frigid"

Maybe, but can't be much of a market for woolly jumpers when it's hot.

I think the north and north east are sub tropical.

The north east doesn't seem to get that cold but it does get winds which can make it feel a bit cold.

I beg to differ. My last couple of years while I've been living in Kalasin Province the temperature at dawn has sometimes been down as low as eight. When you have no heating, that's cold. Okay again by mid-morning though. I suppose the secret to happiness is to stay in bed until mid-morning ....

and yet again the "cold" winter season will come as a huge shock to the unprepared masses, leading to the declaration of a national or regional emergency, and the handing out of free blankets......

Of course it would be totally unreasonable to expect those affected people to put the free blankets in the cupboard ready for next year, and gather the necessary firewood in advance, and other silly foreign thinking like that....

Edited by bangon04